Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #801

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

So after skimming through all 40 pages of this thread, can I still come to the same conclusion about this movie that I came to when I saw the first trailer? Which was that this is basically "Kids" part 6?

Part 1: Kids (1995)
Part 2: Bully (2001)
Part 3: The Hillz (2004)
Part 4: Havoc (2005)
Part 5: Alpha Dog (2007)

Also, if anyone could explain to me why I hate these movies with a passion, but take the same plots and find me their 80's counterparts (hopefully starring someone from the Brat Pack) and I can't get enough of it, that would be great
Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #802
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden389 View Post
So after skimming through all 40 pages of this thread, can I still come to the same conclusion about this movie that I came to when I saw the first trailer? Which was that this is basically "Kids" part 6?

Also, if anyone could explain to me why I hate these movies with a passion, but take the same plots and find me their 80's counterparts (hopefully starring someone from the Brat Pack) and I can't get enough of it, that would be great
Because the 80's versions of them would've been watered down comedies where noone suffered the consequences of their actions, but instead learnt a very valuable and important life lesson while the latest Wham single played in the background

Last edited by Impossible; 01-05-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #803
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Amako View Post
From what I've seen and read, film buffs mostly liked this (it's in many users' top ten of the year so far on the Criterion forum). It's really an impressionistic art film about the emptiness and aimlessness of today's youth. I wouldn't expect a typical moviegoer who watches mostly blockbusters to really get into it. I would recommend it to the type of person who collects films released by Criterion and likes to really think about and discuss what they see rather than the average viewer who just wants to be entertained.

What gets me is that most of the people who hate this movie simply say it sucks, or they call it a "crap fest," or what have you. They don't explain why they feel that way, or if they do, it comes down to a lack of plot. Not every film need be plot-driven -- it's one of the things that makes cinema cinema. However, this type of film obviously won't appeal to everybody.
I love reading comments like this, it's like these people were born 10 minutes ago. Ah the terrible 'youth of today, so sad, what a waste, what the hell have we become....'.

Spring Break started in the 1930's and has always been the same, drugs, booze and teenagers acting like idiots. They seem to forget the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and the whole drug and sexual revolutions ever happened. You can go to clubs and bars these days and there are 30, 40 and 50 year olds still doing exactly the same thing, only they aren't half naked because they are in a different setting.

There has always been gun toting drug dealers. Though it seems if they are 'Italian', have families and dress in nice suits they are far more admirable and respectable members of society than poor black kids covered in tattoo's, who incidentally are usually supplied their drugs by the same people in the nice suits.

There have always been mass murders and murderers, in fact the 60's, 70's and 80's had far more of them than there are today no matter how school/shopping mall shootings there are. Different weapons, same old psychopaths.

Rose coloured glasses much......

For me the film was less about Spring Break, drugs, alcohol and the girls (it'd be interesting also if the film had of been about young males if it would be viewed with the same distain but certain people) as it was about youngsters in a particularly vulnerable state (well 2 of them) being tracked down, 'chosen' and manipulated by a dangerous and manipulative ADULT psychopath and how each of them reacted to the threat to themselves.

One paid attention to her instincts (the one with any sort of moral guidance and self respect) and left. The brain dead sycophant who did anything her friends told her to continued drinking and talking drugs until she finally got caught in the crossfire and paid the price. And the 2 who obviously had the same psychopathic tendencies as Franco's character followed him further down the rabbit hole and then took control of it.

It's not a reflection of todays 'youth', people of any age can be conned by someone in whatever setting they are in if they don't have their wits about them and bad people will always be and remain just that, bad people. Also the fact that we find out in the last 5 minutes that neither of the girls parents even knew they had left school says a lot more about the ADULTS and parents of today than it does about the children.

As for the repetition in the editing etc, I take it none of it's detractors have ever spent 5 minutes with a drunk or drugged up person when they are completely sober and noticed the tendency they have of repeating the same thing over and over again to the point you want to break their face. Nor have they it seems ever suffered the fragmented thoughts of a REALLY bad hangover and wondering just what the **** they did last night. I thought the film captured that perfectly and gave you an insight into the frame of mind the characters were in while the world spiraled out of control around them.

It wasn't pretentious in the slightest, it was intelligent, creative film making (and advertising) that held a great big mirror up to the people who need to see it the most. Most of them didn't seem to like seeing themselves that way however, funny that.

Last edited by Impossible; 01-05-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #804

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

TLDR version: the debauchery was always there, but the media didn't present it the way it's glorified nowadays.

Alternate TLDR: Same $h!t, different music.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #805
Power Member

Jul 2011
San Antonio, TX

Awesome post, Impossible.
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."

"Go, now. Go."
Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #806
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010
Miami, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvf5033 View Post
For $9.99 I'll blind buy it, if I don't like it then ehh to my pile for eBay sales it goes...so it's no loss for me lol.
I would've highly suggested a rental first. This movie was horrible.
"GIVE THEM NOTHING! BUT, TAKE FROM THEM... EVERYTHING!"
Old 01-10-2014, 03:19 AM   #807
Special Member

Jul 2011

Watched it for the third time tonight, still a great moving picture.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #808

Jun 2010
Nagoya

Picked this up on blu. Almost called it quits after about 20 minutes. Soooo slow, and a bit rubbish, but then James Franco appears and the movie got awesome. Loved the Britney Spears piano part.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:55 PM   #809

Apr 2013

wow didn't get a slip.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:48 AM   #810
Expert Member

May 2010
denver, co

Watched for the first time the other day. I thought it was a great sattire/social commentary. Did not care for the end too much though.
May the force be with you...
Old 02-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #811
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
SoCal, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dew95 View Post
wow didn't get a slip.
Well it came out in July of last year, so that's no surprising.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #812
Special Member

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden389 View Post

The whole conversation from the Breakfast Club with Principal Vernon and Janitorial Scientist Carl comes to mind
Its like how when I was a child I always liked watching the Problem Child movies and thought how Junior was so cool defying adults and performing all these pranks on them but now as an adult I cringe and think of Junior as nothing but cruel and evil and surprised nobody was maimed or killed. We have changed.

Last edited by JeffTheMovieGuy; 02-01-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #813
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edword View Post
Money is the anthem of success. So before we go out, what's your address?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-JULFqMqRE
Old 02-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #814

Apr 2013

Quote:
got Black Swan early this year with a slip so it seems to be really far fetched huh?

foh
Old 02-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #815

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheMovieGuy View Post
The whole conversation from the Breakfast Club with Principal Vernon and Janitorial Scientist Carl comes to mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3E3lyICqHEIts like how when I was a child I always liked watching the Problem Child movies and thought how Junior was so cool defying adults and performing all these pranks on them but now as an adult I cringe and think of Junior as nothing but cruel and evil and surprised nobody was maimed or killed. We have changed.
Just means you've lost touch with your inner child!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #816
Expert Member

Jan 2014
United States

Quote:
My best buy still has slips. I got mine at Walmart for 17$ on release day.
Favorite Movie: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011 Version with Rooney Mara)
"The Black Widow's first appearances were as a recurring, non-costumed, Russian-spy antagonist in the feature "Iron Man", beginning in Tales of Suspense No. 52 (April 1964)."
Autograph Collection (Partial)
For Sale
Old 02-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #817

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydR12 View Post
Just means you've lost touch with your inner child!
Meh, I disagree. I associate childhood with being naive, not being rebellious.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:55 AM   #818
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

This movie proves why I don't listen to critics or other peoples opinion.

It's like all they saw was naked girls, drugs, and guns and never tried actually watching the movie. I liked every part of it. I loved seeing James Franco in that character. Will be watching this again definitely.
Pioneer Kuro 151FD|Samung 40"
Pioneer Elite SC-37|Onkyo 705
Def Tech speakers/Def Tech Sub
Oppo BDP-103|PS3 phat 60gig|PS3 slim120gig|APC H15
New Addition -SVS SB13 Ultra
Old 03-08-2014, 03:52 AM   #819
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
This movie proves why I don't listen to critics or other peoples opinion.

It's like all they saw was naked girls, drugs, and guns and never tried actually watching the movie. I liked every part of it. I loved seeing James Franco in that character. Will be watching this again definitely.
I don't listen to critics either, but I can't completely agree with you on Spring Breakers. If anything, the ending to the movie was atrocious in my opinion.
[Show spoiler]After everything, including a fairly big build up to the scene, James Franco's character gets shot and killed within the first five seconds of them rushing the house? Also, having the girls turn into killing machines and kill everyone was hilarious in a bad way.

I'm not saying you're wrong. We just have a major difference of opinion about a crucial part of the movie. James Franco was far and away the best thing about the movie.
Last Watched: Mad Men: Season Four (Episode 9)
Last Bought: Despicable Me 2 3D
PSN ID: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 03-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #820
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Wherever I am right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
I don't listen to critics either, but I can't completely agree with you on Spring Breakers. If anything, the ending to the movie was atrocious in my opinion.
[Show spoiler]After everything, including a fairly big build up to the scene, James Franco's character gets shot and killed within the first five seconds of them rushing the house? Also, having the girls turn into killing machines and kill everyone was hilarious in a bad way.

I'm not saying you're wrong. We just have a major difference of opinion about a crucial part of the movie. James Franco was far and away the best thing about the movie.
I feel exactly the same about the film as you. Liked 90% of it and then that ending, ugh.
One reason to watch Blu-rays. It's the right thing to do.
- Wilford Brimley
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America