COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The NeverEnding Story (Blu-ray)
$13.89
Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
It's a Disaster (Blu-ray)
$18.52
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 03-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #261

Nov 2013

I just can't get worked up about who wins or loses in the Oscars. I know it has importance and yet, it's really not that important at the same time.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:41 PM   #262
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp1086 View Post
Still amazes me that Nolan didn't get a Directing nomination for Inception.
It really annoys and amazes me. Outside of Memento it's his best work. I still feel good that Inception at least won for many of the technical awards.
Does it kill you to use a question mark when asking a question? -- O V N

Last edited by bootsy; 03-06-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:35 AM   #263
Power Member

Sep 2008
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEB View Post
The Academy members proved they lost their minds when Tom Hanks wasn't nominated for 'Captain Phillips'.

Mark
No doubt. Hanks deserved a nomination for Captain Phillips based on his performance in the final 5 minutes alone.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:45 AM   #264
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroK View Post
I thought The Dark Knight was worthy of a Best Picture or Director nomination.
This is how the Academy works, if they nominate a film like the Dark Knight for best picture or best director they lose 'cred'. The cowardly academy attempts to make up for it another way, in the Dark Knight's case the consolation prize was Ledger winning.

The pressure the academy faces to only nominate and award dramas for best picture is the same type of social peer pressure you see in other areas of life, some I cant speak of here for fear of being banned by biased mods with an agenda.

Its gotten so bad that they've brain washed themselves and others into thinking anything outside the drama genre is somehow automatically inferior.

"OMG! The Avengers was such a great fun movie. But its mindless dumb fun, at least thats what Im told. Watching it made me stupiderer. I feel ashamed for liking it. Almost any dialogue driven drama film is better then this. I loved it but its inferior art."

Theres also the fact the OSCARS started around 1930. There was really no such thing as action films, comic book films etc back then. It was all dramas for the most part. When Seven Samurai got the action trend going in the 50s it was too late, the bias toward drama films was thoroughly entrenched, and it has continued like that down to this day. Each generation is taught action films drama films etc are inferior to dialogue driven dramas, no matter how good the acting in them might be, no matter how good the directing etc etc.
Top 10 Motion Pictures of All Time:
1. Le Bleaf 2. Austria Tale 3. Fiv Strom 4. Fi La Elamp 5. Manonum 6. Konstnoplis 7. Sunset 8. Autocol 9. Whitenebe 10. Yokohama
Old 03-06-2014, 04:17 AM   #265

Mar 2013
West of Cleveland, Ohio

I always thought that Joaquin Phoenix should have won the best actor over Philip Seymour Hoffman for Walk the Line. Also Dicaprio should have won for the Aviator, not Jamie Foxx. But the worst one for me was Sean Penn winning over Mickey Rourke in the Wrestler.
"Quiet, all of you! They're approaching the Tyrannosaur paddock."

"The Lannister's send their regards!"
Old 03-06-2014, 04:19 AM   #266
Special Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdizzle91 View Post
i always thought that joaquin phoenix should have won the best actor over philip seymour hoffman for walk the line. Also dicaprio should have won for the aviator, not jamie foxx. But the worst one for me was sean penn winning over mickey rourke in the wrestler.
+1
Adam: Why do you waste your time with that second-life bulls**t? Look at you. You're still in jail. You were in jail last week.
Jacob: Yeah, I'm a prisoner. It's called "doing hard time".
Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 AM   #267

Mar 2013
West of Cleveland, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEЯNOБLY! View Post
+1
Glad someone agrees. I was absolutely mortified when Penn won. Everyone there knew Rourke deserved it.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:46 AM   #268
Expert Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Glad someone agrees. I was absolutely mortified when Penn won. Everyone there knew Rourke deserved it.
I am a huge Penn fan and Rourke was brilliant. I was thrilled Penn won, but I really thought it was a nail biter between the two.

Sometimes it seems like the Academy has a tendency to be sentimental in their voting. They'll give it to an actor who is long overdue for an award. Also, it sometimes seemed like if you're a bit of an outsider and not with the crowd, you're likely to not get nominated and forget about winning.

This is what I thought about when it came to Sean Penn verses Mickey Rourke that year.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #269
Expert Member

Sep 2009
Europe
Send a message via Yahoo to NYorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroK View Post
I thought The Dark Knight was worthy of a Best Picture or Director nomination.
I think TDK nomination snub was one of the reasons they expanded the list from 5 to 10.
Panasonic plasma 60ST60
PS3 120 GB
Tannoy Mercury V4
Monitor Audio MSW10
Pioneer VSX-521
Old 03-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #270

Mar 2013
West of Cleveland, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynatnite View Post
I am a huge Penn fan and Rourke was brilliant. I was thrilled Penn won, but I really thought it was a nail biter between the two.

Sometimes it seems like the Academy has a tendency to be sentimental in their voting. They'll give it to an actor who is long overdue for an award. Also, it sometimes seemed like if you're a bit of an outsider and not with the crowd, you're likely to not get nominated and forget about winning.

This is what I thought about when it came to Sean Penn verses Mickey Rourke that year.
Agreed. But Penn had won before I believe. For Mystic River. I just think Rourke went above and beyond in the Wrestler.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:01 AM   #271
Special Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
Agreed. But Penn had won before I believe. For Mystic River. I just think Rourke went above and beyond in the Wrestler.
Speaking of Penn's Mystic River win, I was rooting for Bill Murray that year. Penn was good, but I loved Murray. Penn's two for two in my little black book.
Adam: Why do you waste your time with that second-life bulls**t? Look at you. You're still in jail. You were in jail last week.
Jacob: Yeah, I'm a prisoner. It's called "doing hard time".
Old 03-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #272

Sep 2012

I mean there was no way it was happening but I would've loved a James Franco nomination for Spring Breakers. It would've made that category so much more entertaining and I'm not a huge Franco fan but I thought he was brilliant.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #273
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Staffordshite, UK

Quote:
I always thought that Joaquin Phoenix should have won the best actor over Philip Seymour Hoffman for Walk the Line. Also Dicaprio should have won for the Aviator, not Jamie Foxx. But the worst one for me was Sean Penn winning over Mickey Rourke in the Wrestler.
I just think its about time he won for something.
He's such a good actor and has turned in superb performances time and time again, its a shame he keeps missing out.
(Pre-)ordered/Shipped:300:Rise of an Empire ES SB / Clerks SB / Guardians of the Galaxy SB / Lucy SB / Maleficent SB / OLLA SB / Pocahontas SB / Sin City 2 SB / The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug 3D Extended Statue / The Fox and the Hound SB / The Rescuers SB
For Sale/Trade: The Little Mermaid US 2D/DVD w/3D slip / Mary Poppins / Snowpiercer Kimichi Full Slip Steelbook (spares/sealed) PM me with offers if interested
Wanted: Taiwan (or next best English audio) Noah 3D Steelbook
Old 03-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #274
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Staffordshite, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianL View Post
I mean there was no way it was happening but I would've loved a James Franco nomination for Spring Breakers. It would've made that category so much more entertaining and I'm not a huge Franco fan but I thought he was brilliant.
agree with you on that
different and some would say daring role that he oddly pulled off

Worth a Nomination at least, maybe not a win
(Pre-)ordered/Shipped:300:Rise of an Empire ES SB / Clerks SB / Guardians of the Galaxy SB / Lucy SB / Maleficent SB / OLLA SB / Pocahontas SB / Sin City 2 SB / The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug 3D Extended Statue / The Fox and the Hound SB / The Rescuers SB
For Sale/Trade: The Little Mermaid US 2D/DVD w/3D slip / Mary Poppins / Snowpiercer Kimichi Full Slip Steelbook (spares/sealed) PM me with offers if interested
Wanted: Taiwan (or next best English audio) Noah 3D Steelbook
Old 03-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #275

Oct 2010
Severna Park, MD

Haven't seen Spring Breakers so can't comment on Franco's performance. But who were you going to leave off to nominate him. Hanks was already left off because it was such a great year for performances. All 5 that were nominated were more than deserved, and so were Phoenix/Maks Middleson.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #276
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorker View Post
I think TDK nomination snub was one of the reasons they expanded the list from 5 to 10.
I think if they looked at things objectively though, 5 would be enough. I quit watching the award shows a long time ago because of movies/actors not being nominated, never mind winning, when they clearly should have been. Why should TDK not be even considered for being nominated yet people get mad when something like The Butler, which is pure fiction despite how they promote it, isn't?
Old 03-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #277
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianL View Post
Spring Breakers should have been nominated for best cinematography. Benoit Debie is one of the best DOPs working and he has an instantly recognisable style.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #278

Feb 2013
Ontario, Canada
Default Oscar Snubs that make you pissed?

Well once again Drew Struzan left out for lifetime achievement...
HDTV - Sony Bravia 65" 1080p 240Hz 3D LED Smart TV XBR65HX950 (calibrated)
Bluray Player - Sony 3D BDP-S590
Receiver - Pioneer Elite 9.2 SC-77
Cable Box - NETBOX 3.0 HD PVR 1TB
Remote - Sony Xperia Tablet SGPT121CAS
Fronts - Sound Dynamics RTS-11, Center - Sound Dynamics CS-5000, Rear - Sound Dynamics RTS-5,
Subwoofer -Sound Dynamics 15" downfiring RTS1500
Old 03-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #279

Mar 2013
West of Cleveland, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLeeK View Post
Haven't seen Spring Breakers so can't comment on Franco's performance. But who were you going to leave off to nominate him. Hanks was already left off because it was such a great year for performances. All 5 that were nominated were more than deserved, and so were Phoenix/Maks Middleson.
I would've replace Bale with Hanks.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies