Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #21

Aug 2010
Bodø, Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessBDJM View Post
What's the deal with so many upconverts released in Germany?
Actually all the BD releases of The Fog (80) is upscaled.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
Ricky Oh: The Story of Ricky
Sadly I'd already ordered this before I got to know. I wait for the day we get a proper HD transfer for this classic of badassery.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #23

Jul 2009

What about Near Dark? Most reviews agreed how horrible it looked, but I don't know if it was ever confirmed to be from an SD source.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #24

Sep 2010
The Black Lodge

Scream looks particularly bad.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #25
Special Member

Feb 2011
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
What about Near Dark? Most reviews agreed how horrible it looked, but I don't know if it was ever confirmed to be from an SD source.
I only paid $5 for my copy and I still feel like I was ripped off. I am willing to bet that the DVD would look better than the murky, overly dark Blu Ray.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

I'm working on a Blu-ray release on the films I am making for my studio. Movies are slightly upscaled from 720p to 1080p.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #27
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Any extremely egregious cases worth mentioning?
Yes, be extremely leery of most catalog efforts from Echo Bridge before reading a qualified review. They licensed a number of movies from Miramax where they had no access to a decent HD master and released a bunch of dodgy transfers. Many of their horror releases, like the Prophecy franchise, are from very poor and dated sources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Any Funimation title that says SD Remaster on it plus some of their older titles before they mentioned that on the packaging like Gunslinger Girl and I think Tsubasa.
Funimation used to be reliable about noting the differences, but they've become less reliable in their veracity in the past few months. I won't name which releases, but they've listed at least a couple of different Blu-rays as native HD when they are clearly not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joltman View Post
This brings up an interesting question, if a film or TV show was shot in SD, would a studio done upscaled Blu-ray be better than a Blu-ray player or HDTV doing the upscale?
Yes, a professional encoder will outperform any sort of conversion done by a home player's hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
If it is from a HD source, it's in the most mediocre condition and heavily dated in terms of the telecine's age.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonXI View Post
I only paid $5 for my copy and I still feel like I was ripped off. I am willing to bet that the DVD would look better than the murky, overly dark Blu Ray.
Maybe my TV isn't calibrated properly, but I'd take that bet as I own both and have compared them somewhat. The blu is far better in all the scenes I tried, maybe a bit dark, but much clearer and sharper. I don't understand why it's hated so much, maybe the horrid Twilightish cover makes the film look worse to some? Watched it twice since getting it and have very little issue with it except it's too dark in some spots.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #29

Aug 2010
Bodø, Norway

I don't think Near Dark is upscaled. Look here: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...less=0#auswahl

I has more details than a upscaled BD could produce.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #30

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompa View Post
I don't think Near Dark is upscaled. Look here: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...less=0#auswahl

I has more details than a upscaled BD could produce.
Thanks for the link. The BD does look slightly better (and IMO a BD in motion can often look much better than screenshots). There's slightly more detail, and the DVD looks overly bright in comparison. Maybe it's time to splurge on it!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
and the U.K. release of Escape From New York.
I've seen the UK Blu-Ray release of Escape From New York. Its so laughably artificially sharpened and contrast boosted with overblown blacks to give the fake illusion of more detail that I actually think the special edition DVD upconverted on my DVD upscaling player has better picture quality because it actuelly looks more natural with superior black levels and well saturated colours with heaps of detail for an older film on DVD. That's why I made the wise decision to just rent the Blu and then buy the DVD. 99% of the time its normally the other way around as you'd expect, this was a rare exception, but I just couldn't stand the Blu-Ray, it looked like shit.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #32
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
I've seen the UK Blu-Ray release of Escape From New York. Its so laughably artificially sharpened and contrast boosted with overblown blacks to give the fake illusion of more detail that I actually think the special edition DVD upconverted on my DVD upscaling player has better picture quality because it actuelly looks more natural with superior black levels and well saturated colours with heaps of detail for an older film on DVD. That's why I made the wise decision to just rent the Blu and then buy the DVD. 99% of the time its normally the other way around as you'd expect, this was a rare exception, but I just couldn't stand the Blu-Ray, it looked like shit.
Now, the U.S. BD on the other hand looks remarkable.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:35 AM   #33
Expert Member

Jan 2010
Milky Way

Grumpy Old Men. Maybe not an upscale but is shows so poorly that it might as well be one.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Now, the U.S. BD on the other hand looks remarkable.
Yeah I've seen screenshots of that new U.S version and it does look great. Very faithful to the source material with more detail then ever without any signs of digital manipulation. Unfortunately I don't live in the U.S and we don't share the same region coding, so it wouldn't work on my Blu-Ray player anyway. The DVD is well mastered, so I'm content with that upconverted.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America