COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Predator Bundle (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$30.00
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Herzog: The Collection (Blu-ray)
$139.99
Lake Placid (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 9 & 10 (Blu-ray)
$31.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #6301
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
Do you ever think we will see a different cut of this? I feel most of the deleted scenes would benefit the film a great deal.
No, Ridley did the best cut possible and the only way to benefit the film now is for him to do a sequel.
EyeSpeech: Speak Your Eye
B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
Old 06-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #6302

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremal View Post
No, Ridley did the best cut possible and the only way to benefit the film now is for him to do a sequel.
I like Prometheus a lot
But
I also would like to see a different cut with a few of the deleted scenes added

From what I can remember :

[Show spoiler]- the worm discovery by biologist
- the more alien Fifield mutation fight
- mournful Vickers
- the Engineers longer conversation with Weyland

The extended fight with Shaw and the Engineer was cool but not sure if I need it in there

And I would delete :

- the Janek accordion / Vickers scene
- and trim a lot of Fifield lines

I'll have to re-watch some of 'em

Last edited by B72; 06-22-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:35 AM   #6303

Oct 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
I disagree with this. Having watched a recut of the film that incorporates many of the deleted scenes, it improved the film dramatically in almost every way. Would love to see an official extended cut from Ridley and wouldn't be surprised if we got one around the time the sequel comes out.
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!" - The Simpsons
Old 06-23-2014, 02:49 AM   #6304
Expert Member

May 2011
Boulder City, Nevada

Saw this 4 times in theaters and got better on repeated viewings for me, i really loved this prequel to the franchise.

The 4-disc 3D/2D set is outstanding with quality PQ that is sharp as any recent movie and goodies galore to please fans, can't go wrong with this set.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:07 AM   #6305
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_achen View Post
I disagree with this. Having watched a recut of the film that incorporates many of the deleted scenes, it improved the film dramatically in almost every way. Would love to see an official extended cut from Ridley and wouldn't be surprised if we got one around the time the sequel comes out.
I watched all the deleted scenes and felt they were best left out. The sour grapes of Vickers worked in the theatrical version and didn't need to be hammered in an additional corny scene that lacked any subtlety. The key point of the engineer's conversation with Weyland was the realization that David was an android and that Weyland sought immortality. This caused the engineer to lash out with violence in a very specific way
[Show spoiler]by yanking off David's head and using it to kill Weyland
, which was symbolic of a creator rejecting the capacity of his creation to create. Mucking with these scene just waters it down.

Regarding the biologist and Farfield, and Holloway too for that matter, they were supposed to represent those who lack faith. Prometheus was one of the rare sci fi movies that cast scientists as bumbling idiots who quickly succumb to the force of nature or technology. In that sense, Prometheus accomplished what the script needed to accomplish in rare form that didn't make sense or sit right with a lot of people. They thought the script was weak, when in fact certain characters were purposefully written to be weak.
EyeSpeech: Speak Your Eye
B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
Old 06-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #6306

Sep 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by B72 View Post

[Show spoiler]

And I would delete :

- the Janek accordion / Vickers scene

I'll have to re-watch some of 'em

I actually love that scene! "Stop it!
[Show spoiler]That sounds like a dying cat"
On Pre-order:
Captain Phillips (Steelbook)
Iron Man 3 (Steelbook)
Olympus Has Fallen (Steelbook)
Rush (Steelbook)
Old 06-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #6307
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

One of my fav movies of 2012
Currently: Playing:Wolfenstein The New Order/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition/Watch Dogs
Old 06-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #6308
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reubania View Post
It's kind of a weird scene though. Right in the middle of all this sleek sci-fi gorgeousness there's a fella playing 'Love the one you're with' on an accordion.

Me, I'd put back the bit where Janek talks about the bio-weapons dump (I actually thought it was in the movie when I watched it second time around, I was wondering where it'd gone!!) and the extended stalk and slash with the Engineer and Shaw. I know folks have said that it's unrealistic because how could Shaw compete with a demi-god etc etc, but the whole damned movie is filled with similarly contradictory moments so a few more won't hurt, and besides, it's simply an exciting scene.

I'd reinstate her more agitated delivery of the 'you're a [****ing] robot' line too. Makes her future adventures with David all the more spicy because she's obviously pissed off, instead of the more conciliatory attitude that she has in the theatrical version.

Sir Ridley's movies have a habit of appearing as extended cuts on home video, so perhaps we'll get one for Prometheus if/when the sequel is made.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #6309
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
... Regarding the biologist and Farfield, and Holloway too for that matter, they were supposed to represent those who lack faith. Prometheus was one of the rare sci fi movies that cast scientists as bumbling idiots who quickly succumb to the force of nature or technology. In that sense, Prometheus accomplished what the script needed to accomplish in rare form that didn't make sense or sit right with a lot of people. They thought the script was weak, when in fact certain characters were purposefully written to be weak.
You may be right as to the written "intent", I wouldn't know, but the portrayal was atrocious. Well-educated people are often dumb in some ways, but they're rarely idiotic - unless they're idiot-savants. The behavior portrayed here often defied basic scientific procedure - to say nothing of common sense. I would blame the actors, but you've gotta blame the writer(s)/director more. Even if they wanted to achieve what you say they wanted to achieve, ya gotta do it better than this or it becomes almost Keystone Cops-like.
You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #6310

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reubania View Post

Ha , you know - I actually don't hate that scene
I just can't see how that remained while others were ditched

Regarding the theatrical Prometheus' edit :

I don't need everything spelled out to me in a movie
And I love the mystery that permeates Prometheus

That said, some scenes could be padded out or explained a bit more while still retaining the overall unexplained nature of the film

Then certain character motivations wouldn't come off as awkward as they do

[Show spoiler]In particular , the little worms found by the biologist , makes the snake scene easier to swallow ( no pun intended ) . By the time the snake scene comes up , the biologist has already found life on another planet and is fueled by arrogance to discover more and it seriously clouds his judgement

If the accordion scene is trying to show Vickers human side
( or is it just mundane crew stuff ?)
I personally would have preferred the emotional Vickers after killing a man with a flamethrower , even though it was for the preservation of the crew/mission scene

Of course, we could dissect and rearrange every movie
Old 06-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #6311

Oct 2012

Quote:
Regarding the biologist and Farfield, and Holloway too for that matter, they were supposed to represent those who lack faith.
Is that your interpretation, or something mentioned in commentaries/featurettes? All the human characters but one died in Alien too, so I the fact that it happened again in Prometheus didn't suggest to me that they were getting what was coming to them due to their lack of faith. And the Engineer didn't seem inclined to "reward" Shaw for her faith, he was trying to kill her just like everyone else and was only stopped by her cleverness.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America