COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
Cat People (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
The Raid 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #501

Nov 2008
East TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
Ooo, to me, Inland Empire sucked.

It was laborious to get through, looked like it was shot on a 1990's camcorder by a college kid, and had a narrative that seemed like he made it up along the way.

Sure, Laura Dern was excellent, and so was Jeremy Irons. But that story was way too impenetrable for anyone to enjoy.

Its not at all in the same league as Lost Highway or Mulholland Dr.
You're exactly right. He wrote the script as he filmed it and shot it on a consumer camcorder.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #502
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by trarmstrong View Post
You're exactly right. He wrote the script as he filmed it and shot it on a consumer camcorder.
Which is why Inland Empire bettttter not be his final feature length film. Go out with a bang, not an amateur piece of "math-movie".
Especially after phenomenal movies like Lost Hwy and Mulholland Dr. Do you rrreally want to end on Inland Empire? Yuck
Thanks given by:
starman15317 (08-14-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #503

May 2014

Add me to those defending Inland Empire. I rank it as one of Lynch's best films, which is saying a lot. It's like being trapped in a horrifying nightmare wherein you can't wake up. There are some moments that are just downright creepy. Saw it on it's theatrical release and loved every minute of it (except for the subplot with old old Polish guys). Also love Mulholland Drive, but I rank the two films neck and neck.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #504

Feb 2012

Isn't everything made up along the way? At what point in the cycle of making something does authorship have less value?
Thanks given by:
ijustblumyself (08-14-2014), smax-3 (08-14-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #505

Sep 2011
Los Angeles, Ca.

Quote:
Ooo, to me, Inland Empire sucked.

It was laborious to get through, looked like it was shot on a 1990's camcorder by a college kid, and had a narrative that seemed like he made it up along the way.

Sure, Laura Dern was excellent, and so was Jeremy Irons. But that story was way too impenetrable for anyone to enjoy.

Its not at all in the same league as Lost Highway or Mulholland Dr.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:28 AM   #506
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

People here defending Inland keep posting the same thing; that its creepy and scary.

That doesn't make something "great". That simply makes something creepy, and, you guessed it; scary. I can get that from STILL IMAGES. Or, photography.

This is a movie.

Im pretty sure everyone here would agree that Inland would be better if it was creepy and scary AND had a story?

"Eiknarf, I understand the narr..."

No you don't. We can all agree that the narrative is as dense and thick as Kanye West's wife's thighs. That's no fun.

If it had some tangible narrative, or, wasn't so laborus, and, was shot on film OR better quality digital (not something he bought at Best Buy), it would be better, can't we agree?
Old 08-14-2014, 12:30 AM   #507
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2012
WI

People can like whatever they want.
My Top 20 Films of all time!
1. Taxi Driver 2. Eyes Wide Shut 3. Jurassic Park 4. Boogie Nights 5. Boyhood 6. Apocalypse Now 7. Psycho (1960) 8. There Will Be Blood 9. The Godfather Part II 10. The Godfather 11. Zodiac 12. Blade Runner 13. Thief 14. Halloween (1978) 15. It's Such A Beautiful Day 16. Drive 17. Gremlins 18. The Tree of Life 19. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) 20. Pulp Fiction
Thanks given by:
ijustblumyself (08-14-2014), jmb1381 (08-14-2014), Mr. Thomsen (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 12:30 AM   #508
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock View Post
Add me to those defending Inland Empire. I rank it as one of Lynch's best films, which is saying a lot. It's like being trapped in a horrifying nightmare wherein you can't wake up. There are some moments that are just downright creepy. Saw it on it's theatrical release and loved every minute of it (except for the subplot with old old Polish guys). Also love Mulholland Drive, but I rank the two films neck and neck.
Agreed I really love it as well. Eraserhead is the only film of his I don't like.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:49 AM   #509
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentDawn View Post
People can like whatever they want.
They can?
Not where I live.
Woman can't wear shorts.
We're governed by a sentient cloud.
You have to be at least 5' 5" tall to vote.
Sports are forbidden... Etc
Old 08-14-2014, 01:52 AM   #510
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
They can?
Not where I live.
Woman can't wear shorts.
We're governed by a sentient cloud.
You have to be at least 5' 5" tall to vote.
Sports are forbidden... Etc
Move *shrug
Old 08-14-2014, 02:10 AM   #511
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
Move *shrug

I'm giving valid reasons why Inland isn't good. I'm not just coming in here and saying, "it sucks" (it's the Mulholland thread anyway, so I'm not trolling).

But some of you aren't grasping the concept and definition of "opinion". When you write, "In my opinion, I think Inland is great", you forget two things:

1. Who else's opinion would it be? Mike the janitor at the mall?
2. You're not selling the readers on why its so good.

Pretend us Mulholland Dr fans are new here. Sell us all on why its so great. Performance aside (because all the performances in Lynch movies are great, and performance isn't story). Why is the movie/story of Inland so good?
Old 08-14-2014, 02:24 AM   #512

Jul 2014
Maryland

You just dismissed their opinion and stated that being scary isn't good enough. You implied that to be good, a movie must have a comprehensible story, but filmmakers have eschewed traditional narratives for decades, and audiences have still enjoyed their films. Movie and story are not interchangeable, there have been plenty of great films with abstract narratives.
Thanks given by:
Mr. Thomsen (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 05:03 AM   #513

Nov 2011
NJ, USA

Quote:
Pretend us Mulholland Dr fans are new here. Sell us all on why its so great. Performance aside (because all the performances in Lynch movies are great, and performance isn't story). Why is the movie/story of Inland so good?
It has been a while since I saw this (when it first came out on DVD), so I'm afraid I can't get too specific because I've forgotten many details. I'm planning to order the R2 blu-ray, though, and revisit it.

Anyway, I have to say I didn't find the story impenetrable or non-existent. There were parts (rabbit people) that seemed a bit "thrown in there," but it felt more cohesive and compelling to me than Mulholland Drive (which I also liked, mind you). I feel like Mulholland Drive was Lynch injecting his style of writing/filmmaking/etc into a very conventional structure (that I guess was largely because it was originally intended for a mainstream TV series), whereas Inland is pure Lynch without the conventions, which I prefer.

Yes, the story was "abstract," but I was still very able to relate to Laura Dern's character and follow along... and I don't mean because of her performance (though that was excellent, too, as we all seem to agree). Again, I wish I could get more specific but it's been a while now. Maybe I'll come back to this thread after I've watched the blu. But in general, I guess I felt like the story was told through a subjective reality as opposed to an objective one, where we saw what she was going through in ways other than just the literal. And I found that a very effective way to tell a story, as it allows you to reach "notes" you can't when you're limited to a "just the facts, ma''am" way of presenting events.

Inland is also generally darker and less fun than Mulholland (though both have elements of darkness and fun, of course), and whether than makes one better or worse than another will probably be just down to personal preference. I like dark movies, so that was another appeal for me.

Quote:
No you don't. We can all agree that the narrative is as dense and thick as Kanye West's wife's thighs. That's no fun.
No, that's not how I felt after viewing it. Again, though, ti's been a while for me. And I concede that it was often mysterious and confusing and not always self-explanatory; But I didn't find it laborious or unfun to follow. So if I might quote the great Tonto, "speak for yourself, white man."

Quote:
That doesn't make something "great". That simply makes something creepy, and, you guessed it; scary. I can get that from STILL IMAGES. Or, photography.
Also, if a film is effectively, genuinely creepy and scary, I would say those are almost as oblectively "good" aspects as much as any kind of art can be considered objectively good. The fact that those or other things can be reached through other artistic mediums doesn't lessen them. You keep asking for story; well, I could reply, "I could get a good story from a book." That would be true, but doesn't mean story should be dismissed. If a filmmaker "only" achieves the artistic equal of the greatest still p0hotographs of all time, that's amazingly commendable.

As for the standard def, that doesn't really bother me. Obviously, you're welcome to your preferences, and the merits of HD over SD are of course obvious. But it's not like the film isn't being shown correctly, like when you over-compress a film shot on 35mm or something. That's how it was made. You can't get as photo realistic with water colors as you can with acrylic paints (well, IMO... I don't want to start a whole off topic debate haha), but that doesn't make the one type of painting inherently more valid than the other.

Quote:
and, was shot on film OR better quality digital (not something he bought at Best Buy), it would be better, can't we agree?
A water color painting wouldn't necessarily be better if it had been painted with acrylics instead. Lynch was happy with the SD look and incorporated it into the design of the film.

Anyway, those were just my opinions. Oh yeah, which reminds me:

Quote:
When you write, "In my opinion, I think Inland is great", you forget two things:

Put the emphasis on "opinion," rather than "my" and the reasoning behind people stating "in my opinion" should become more clear. People don't use the phrase to identify whose opinion it is; they're using it to acknowledge that what they're stating is just subjective opinion rather than something they're trying to put forth as objective fact. Since people often do seem to mistake their opinions for facts, it can be a statement worth saying in the right context.
And before you disagree with me, let me just tell you, I asked Mike the janitor at the mall, and he says I'm right.
Thanks given by:
ijustblumyself (08-14-2014), minister_x (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 05:47 AM   #514
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Pittsburgh

Inland Empire is a unique one, that's for sure. I like it, but it's my least favorite Lynch film. It makes some sense, but it doesn't. It's a big, overlong nightmare. That's what makes it good and bad. But it really is terrifying. One of the scariest films I've ever seen actually.
Films and movies are two different things.

My Blu-Ray wishlist
My small LaserDisc collection
My Criterion
Old 08-14-2014, 06:41 AM   #515

May 2014

Most of the nightmares I've had in real life didn't make 100% sense, but that didn't make them any less terrifying. Inland Empire really is one of the very few films that captures what a real nightmare is like. I have never had a nightmare with a conventional beginning, middle and end Hollywood plotline. That's why I think the film is very special. It captures that mood where you're stuck in a very bad nightmarish dream that's getting worse and you just can't wake up from it. It's actually quite brilliant. And I agree with others, it's really one of Lynch's most pure and personal films.

Last edited by schlock; 08-14-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Thanks given by:
ijustblumyself (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #516
Expert Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
I'm giving valid reasons why Inland isn't good. I'm not just coming in here and saying, "it sucks" (it's the Mulholland thread anyway, so I'm not trolling).

But some of you aren't grasping the concept and definition of "opinion". When you write, "In my opinion, I think Inland is great", you forget two things:

2. You're not selling the readers on why its so good.

If a film needs to have a compelling story to be good, then Persona wouldn't be one of my favourite films.

Inland Empire is pure filmmaking. It relies on images to evoke emotions.
It's fine that you don't like it, I can completely understand that. Don't act like us people who love it are crazy though.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #517

Jul 2014

Inland Empire is a great film to me for many reasons; first of all, Laura Dern's performance is spectacular. Out of all films made by Lynch, I can only rank Naomi Watts' turn in Mulholland Dr. above it. The fact that she was working from a script that was literally made-up on the spot makes it even more fascinating. Second, its creepiness is basically unmatched in Lynch's filmography. The sound design, essential for creating the Lynchian mood, is fantastic. I love the fact this is the first time Lynch has ventured into a non-English speaking country, since the gothic, desolated feel of Lodz feels perfect for the expansion of Lynch's world. And I like the uncharacteristically upbeat ending, which provides a great contrast to the other two in the "LA trilogy".

Basically, the film offers unforgettable scenes that still linger in my mind, and that's what cinema is all about. On the negative side, it is somewhat patchy and definitely overlong, but that's a criticism I wouldn't only reserve for this film as far as David Lynch goes.

And I still have to see More Things That Happened.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #518
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

These - above me - are great reasons.
Articulate and informative and detailed.

So now I'll add that I was purposely "criticizing" most members answers so I can get some of these types of replys... good reasons.

I'll admit I was "baiting" you all so I can see what it is about Inland that I should keep in the back of my mind when I pop it in my blu-ray player. I have the German box set with the three (Lost, Mulholland, Inland), yet, only sat through Inland one time. Prior to the blu box set, I blind bought and watched it twice on DVD, then sold it. I didn't know why i couldnt get into it at all, yet, love Lost Hwy and Mulholland.

So what changed? Why can't I see in Inland what I absolutely love in the other two? Is it Inland's length/running time? Is it solely the look that's turning me off? Is it that i fear that this might be his last full length feature?

Last edited by eiknarf; 08-14-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:56 AM   #519
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

If I have to have sex with Naomi Watts in order to get Criterion to release Mulholland Drive on blu-ray I am willing to do it.
I Aim To Misbehave.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #520
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

stvn1974...a man of sacrifice, ladies and gents.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America