Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$4.99
4 hrs ago
Planet of the Apes: Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
11 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99
 
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99
 
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
22 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Gone Girl (Blu-ray)
$22.96
 
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #401
cvarrick cvarrick is online now
Junior Member
 
Nov 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg1 View Post
Here're the back ports

Attachment 103215
Great, thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #402
kg1 kg1 is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2010
1174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonic View Post
What are the specs for this player? Does it decode DTS-HD MA and TrueHD 5.1 and not just 2.0?
1) The Final Countdown outputs audio as DTS HD MA 7.1 in the first track on the Info screen. Second track says Dolby TrueHD Multi (it is Dolby TrueHD 7.1).

2) Dragon Ball Z Season 6 Disc outputs audio as Dolby TrueHD Multi on the Info screen (it is Dolby TrueHD 5.1).

3) A Force of One outputs audio as DTS HD MA 5.1 in the second track on the Info screen. A Force of One is Region B only.

Seems to differentiate between DTS HD MA tracks but not Dolby TrueHD. Also, I have an Onkyo 7.1 system, and audio came out of every speaker in each scenario.

If you keep the player plugged in and turn it off, it keeps the last region code you had in. One other quirk is that there is an HDMI button in the lower left that lets you output to different resolutions. The options are 480i/576i, 480p/576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 4K2K. You can change this in the middle of a movie, running or paused. My 4K TV recognizes it as 3840x2160 when I connect the player directly to my TV and have it on the 4K2K setting. The player does NOT support 3D Blu-rays (tried DotPotA).
Movies I'd like to see on Blu-ray
1) Showdown in Little Tokyo, 2) Rapid Fire, 3) American Ninja, 4) The Abyss

Favorite Blu-rays of 2014
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, 2) Clint Eastwood Eight Movie Collection, 3) Edge of Tomorrow, 4) Snowpiercer, 5) Southern Comfort, 6) True Detective, 7) Sin City A Dame to Kill For
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #403
ilovedealsonmovies ilovedealsonmovies is online now
Expert Member
 
ilovedealsonmovies's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
vancouver
123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg1 View Post
1) The Final Countdown outputs audio as DTS HD MA 7.1 in the first track on the Info screen. Second track says Dolby TrueHD Multi (it is Dolby TrueHD 7.1).

2) Dragon Ball Z Season 6 Disc outputs audio as Dolby TrueHD Multi on the Info screen (it is Dolby TrueHD 5.1).

3) A Force of One outputs audio as DTS HD MA 5.1 in the second track on the Info screen. A Force of One is Region B only.

Seems to differentiate between DTS HD MA tracks but not Dolby TrueHD. Also, I have an Onkyo 7.1 system, and audio came out of every speaker in each scenario.

If you keep the player plugged in and turn it off, it keeps the last region code you had in. One other quirk is that there is an HDMI button in the lower left that lets you output to different resolutions. The options are 480i/576i, 480p/576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 4K2K. You can change this in the middle of a movie, running or paused. My 4K TV recognizes it as 3840x2160 when I connect the player directly to my TV and have it on the 4K2K setting. The player does NOT support 3D Blu-rays (tried DotPotA).
where do you get these?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #404
kg1 kg1 is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2010
1174
Default

Sear's is where I got mine. Apparently Kmart is an option too. Check Post #1 and Show Spoiler for the remote hack.

http://www.sears.com/seiki-u-vision-...p-05737800000P

Put in your zip code to see if it's nearby (had to hit back on the page and then refresh). It was $99.99 in store but mine said they would price match online when I brought it up. The box is black on the front and back, purple on top with a plastic handle.
Movies I'd like to see on Blu-ray
1) Showdown in Little Tokyo, 2) Rapid Fire, 3) American Ninja, 4) The Abyss

Favorite Blu-rays of 2014
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, 2) Clint Eastwood Eight Movie Collection, 3) Edge of Tomorrow, 4) Snowpiercer, 5) Southern Comfort, 6) True Detective, 7) Sin City A Dame to Kill For

Last edited by kg1; 12-12-2014 at 05:37 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #405
Roy_Batty Roy_Batty is offline
Active Member
 
May 2010
Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedealsonmovies View Post
where do you get these?
Unfortunately to my knowledge they are not available in stores in Canada.
The previous Seiki Blu-ray player models were available at Walmart and XS Cargo. But this new one isn't available anywhere, you can order one from Amazon.com, but you won't find it for the great price Sears is offering on it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #406
enaej1 enaej1 is offline
Senior Member
 
enaej1's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
Quahog, Rhode Island
111
Default

Ordered one unit from Sears with free shipping. This will give my Oppo a break once in a while.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #407
Kryptonic Kryptonic is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Kryptonic's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
289
53
42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg1 View Post
1) The Final Countdown outputs audio as DTS HD MA 7.1 in the first track on the Info screen. Second track says Dolby TrueHD Multi (it is Dolby TrueHD 7.1).

2) Dragon Ball Z Season 6 Disc outputs audio as Dolby TrueHD Multi on the Info screen (it is Dolby TrueHD 5.1).

3) A Force of One outputs audio as DTS HD MA 5.1 in the second track on the Info screen. A Force of One is Region B only.

Seems to differentiate between DTS HD MA tracks but not Dolby TrueHD. Also, I have an Onkyo 7.1 system, and audio came out of every speaker in each scenario.

If you keep the player plugged in and turn it off, it keeps the last region code you had in. One other quirk is that there is an HDMI button in the lower left that lets you output to different resolutions. The options are 480i/576i, 480p/576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 4K2K. You can change this in the middle of a movie, running or paused. My 4K TV recognizes it as 3840x2160 when I connect the player directly to my TV and have it on the 4K2K setting. The player does NOT support 3D Blu-rays (tried DotPotA).
Are you saying that the player internally decodes DTS-HD and TrueHD?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #408
kg1 kg1 is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2010
1174
Default

When directly connected to my TV (not passed through my receiver) and playing Final Countdown, the same examples in #1 hold true when you hit the info button. I tested through my receiver again, no sound in two speakers on the 5.1 EX track.

Note, they did not use the DTS-HD MA logo on their box but they used Dolby TrueHD.
Movies I'd like to see on Blu-ray
1) Showdown in Little Tokyo, 2) Rapid Fire, 3) American Ninja, 4) The Abyss

Favorite Blu-rays of 2014
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, 2) Clint Eastwood Eight Movie Collection, 3) Edge of Tomorrow, 4) Snowpiercer, 5) Southern Comfort, 6) True Detective, 7) Sin City A Dame to Kill For

Last edited by kg1; 12-12-2014 at 11:26 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #409
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jan 2007
80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg1 View Post
Here're the back ports

Attachment 103215

I was not able to find an online manual for the Seiki SR4KP1 . However according to the picture you posted it has 1 HDMI output, 1 legacy coaxial digital output for lossy surround sound, 1 pair of legacy stereo left and right output, and one composite video output, Ethernet, and USB.

Per the AACS analog hole rules the Seiki SR4KP1 is not suppose to output 480i composite video images from AACS encoded Blu-ray discs over an analog connection. Therefore, the theory is the composite video output on the Seiki SR4KP1 might be just like the OPPO BDP-103D composite video output (only the setup menu is visible for diagnostic purposes). However since Seiki has a region selectable menu perhaps they might have ignored the analog video hole mandate and made the 480i composite video output fully operational for video.

Every 4K upscale Blu-ray player that I have seen in the past has supported Blu-ray 3-D discs. There is a possibility that the Seiki SR4KP1 might support Blu-ray 3-D discs, however its not mentioned in the specs. Then again since Seiki does not make a 3-D TV they might not have placed 3-D technology into their latest Blu-ray player.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #410
schan1269 schan1269 is online now
Active Member
 
Sep 2013
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
I was not able to find an online manual for the Seiki SR4KP1 . However according to the picture you posted it has 1 HDMI output, 1 legacy coaxial digital output for lossy surround sound, 1 pair of legacy stereo left and right output, and one composite video output, Ethernet, and USB.

Per the AACS analog hole rules the Seiki SR4KP1 is not suppose to output 480i composite video images from AACS encoded Blu-ray discs over an analog connection. Therefore, the theory is the composite video output on the Seiki SR4KP1 might be just like the OPPO BDP-103D composite video output (only the setup menu is visible for diagnostic purposes). However since Seiki has a region selectable menu perhaps they might have ignored the analog video hole mandate and made the 480i composite video output fully operational for video.

Every 4K upscale Blu-ray player that I have seen in the past has supported Blu-ray 3-D discs. There is a possibility that the Seiki SR4KP1 might support Blu-ray 3-D discs, however its not mentioned in the specs. Then again since Seiki does not make a 3-D TV they might not have placed 3-D technology into their latest Blu-ray player.
Where do you get your information?

Analog Sunset (what you refer to as "AACS") killed HD component video.

Not SD composite. The reason most BD players no longer have composite is because it is stupid to have one. If you are going to play 480i, buy a DVD player.

And oh yeah. Analog Sunset didn't require the removal of component video. It required it be relegated to 480i/576i.

Which meant...pointless to include it.

Last edited by schan1269; 12-14-2014 at 05:34 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #411
lordmorpheus72 lordmorpheus72 is offline
Special Member
 
lordmorpheus72's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Charleston, SC
7
649
180
1
Default

My local Sears had a stack of the new Seiki players just after Thanksgiving. They don't seem to be flying off the shelves, so check out your local if you have one.
Tv: Panasonic TC-P42S30 42" 1080p Plasma
Blu-ray: Samsung BD-E5700, DVR: TiVo HD XL
Receiver: Sony STRDH520 7.1 Channel 3D AV Speakers: Polk Audio RM75 Sub: Polk PSW10
Gaming Systems - PS3: 60gig, XBox, Wii

Criterion Collection: http://www.criterion.com/my_criterio...?sort_by=spine
Whole Collection: http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/morpheus72
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #412
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jan 2007
80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
Where do you get your information?

Analog Sunset (what you refer to as "AACS") killed HD component video.

Not SD composite. The reason most BD players no longer have composite is because it is stupid to have one. If you are going to play 480i, buy a DVD player.

And oh yeah. Analog Sunset didn't require the removal of component video. It required it be relegated to 480i/576i.

Which meant...pointless to include it.

There was a January 1st 2014 AACS analog hole mandate that required all new 2014 Blu-ray players to either remove the analog video outputs like composite and component video or to limit the output so that it could not play AACS encoded Blu-ray discs. That is why the latest OPPO Blu-ray players only allow the setup menu to be viewed from its composite video output (BDP-103/BDP-103D).

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=230112

quote

This phasing out of the analog hole will happen in two stages. First, all AACS licensees will be required to limit analog output to interlaced SD resolution (composite video, s-video, 480i component video and 576i video) on all devices manufactured after December 31,2010. Then, after December 31, 2013, no device that is capable of decrypting AACS content can incorporate an analog output of any kind.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/drm-licensing-group-plan-to-plug-analog-hole/

The above rule does not apply to analog audio outputs, only analog video outputs. With a firmware update 480i composite video could be disabled for setup menu use only if the AACS licensee group decides to put pressure on a consumer electronics manufactory that does meet the agreement that was signed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #413
Telstar Telstar is online now
Active Member
 
Feb 2009
7
Default

I bought a Seiki yesterday and am very happy with it. My only problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to get around the player stretching 1:33:1 dvds (like Criterion's Casque d'or) to fill the entire screen. When I push the set up button and look into the TV setting it's displayed as 16:9 "full screen" and "automatic" and also grayed out so that there appears to be no one to alter the setting. Anyone else encounter this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:16 AM   #414
gahodapp gahodapp is offline
Member
 
Oct 2008
372
101
Default

You might research the "hack" for the Seiki units involving the region code and see if those areas are still grayed out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #415
kidglov3s kidglov3s is offline
Special Member
 
kidglov3s's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
I bought a Seiki yesterday and am very happy with it. My only problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to get around the player stretching 1:33:1 dvds (like Criterion's Casque d'or) to fill the entire screen. When I push the set up button and look into the TV setting it's displayed as 16:9 "full screen" and "automatic" and also grayed out so that there appears to be no one to alter the setting. Anyone else encounter this?
After using it on my projector all the time I really wish that 4:3 squeeze was a standard display option for LCD tvs. I feel like I get a better upconvert that way.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:10 PM.