Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$95.24
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.74
Old 11-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #101
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Harlem

All shows I by for my kids like Yo Gabba Gabba the like are DVD purchases. That's about it.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #102

Jan 2010

The last DVD I bought was the 300 limited edition that came with a helmet. Then I went through a short phase where I didn't want to buy any physical media. After that, it became all Blu's all the time. It has slowly become an addiction. I just spent $200 on Blu's in the last few days. This site definitely does not help.
Rack Denon 2809, Dish 922VIP, PlayStation3, Xbox360, Wii, MonoPrice HDMI 4x2 Switch.

Theater Epson 8500, 110" Elite Screen, SVSound 5 SCS 01s, 1 PB12-NSD.

Living RoomSony 60" EX500 LCD, Onkyo, SVS SCS 01s.

XBLstitch1007, PSNstitch1007, WiiNo Idea ;)
Old 11-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #103
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
I would feel like wasting my money if I purchased a DVD...it's an obsolete format.
I only consider buying DVDs when there are additional special features
(only in addition to the Blu-ray of course). I just ordered the UK 2-Disc DVD Edition of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" for example because it includes a great documentary.
I also own the Blu-ray.
How is DVD obsolete? Its still active and plenty of people use it. many blu-ray releases still include the DVD version so that says something!

Laser Disc and VHS are obsolete. You can tell because you cannot purchase players for them any longer.
Pioneer 5080 KURO
Samsung UN6500 LED
LG BD-570, Sony BDP-S360, PS 3
Toshiba A30 & A2
Sony STRDG-AV 810
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 510
Old 11-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #104
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
How is DVD obsolete? Its still active and plenty of people use it. many blu-ray releases still include the DVD version so that says something!

Laser Disc and VHS are obsolete. You can tell because you cannot purchase players for them any longer.
You've forgot about HD-DVD and D-VHS, but people can buy used Laserdisc, VCR's, and HD-DVD Players from third party sellers on eBay, if they're interested. Every household should already have a VCR anyway. I still have two!

Last edited by slimdude; 11-26-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #105

Jul 2012

I have a lot of TV shows and Anime shows I'll be sticking with the DVD's for. Because I don't watch them enough and when I do its most likely on my old PC in my bedroom anyways. Most of the movies I wanted to upgrade I've done so already, but will still buy DVD's if I want a movie and its not on Blu yet and I don't know when/if it will be. I bought the Waxwork/WaxworkII DVD last week and watched it this weekend.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #106
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

I still buy old DVD movies for $1.99 that are not available on blu-ray. DVDs look very nice upscaled, but they're certainly not BD quality. The audio on DVDs is improved, when they're being played on a blu-ray player as well.

Last edited by slimdude; 11-26-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #107

Oct 2012

I try to avoid DVD as much as possible. Exceptions are TV series, anything I'm not especially interested in (and price difference of over $5), and titles that are not available in Blu-ray.

Excluding TV shows, the first movie on DVD format I've bought in the last 4 months or so was "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" for like $4... and I probably would have skipped it if it didn't come with a UltraViolet copy.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #108
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

I only buy movies on blu-ray, but I'll still buy TV shows on DVD.
Steve

WTB: PS3 case that holds 2 discs. If you have one you can part with please PM me.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #109
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinva View Post
I try to avoid DVD as much as possible. Exceptions are TV series, anything I'm not especially interested in (and price difference of over $5), and titles that are not available in Blu-ray.
DVDs are not THAT bad! Before blu-ray and the former HD-DVD format were introduced on the market, DVDs were sufficient then, so why strictly avoid DVDs now? Thousands of movies that's been released on DVD, may never be released on blu-ray. What are you going to do, if you want a particular movie that's not released on blu-ray? Wait months, years, or centuries for it to be released on blu-ray, if ever?

Last edited by slimdude; 11-26-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #110
Expert Member

Apr 2011
Katy, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
You've forgot about HD-DVD and D-VHS, but people can buy used Laserdisc, VCR's, and HD-DVD Players from third party sellers on eBay, if they're interested. Every household should already have a VCR anyway. I still have two!
I no longer own a VCR. The last one I had crapped out about a year ago. I have 3 blu-ray players (plus one on the way if you count the PS3 I ordered). I do have a 5 disc DVD changer but that is because it is part of the all-in-one stereo system I have.

I do still buy DVDs though and there are a lot of DVDs in my collection I do not plan on upgrading to blu (Halloween 1 & 2, A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection, Friday the 13th 1-6, From Dusk til Dawn, Night of the Living Dead remake, etc.).

The most recent DVDs I have bought are: Swing Kids, Beautiful Girls, Stephen King's It and Slackers (all of which are not available on blu in N. America).
Old 11-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #111

Sep 2012
US

Depends on the movie. If its a favorite movie like The Avengers I get the Blu Ray or combo pack.

Something like Alice in Wonderland I liked, but still only got the DVD.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #112
Special Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Anyone watch their films on a projector/big screen only? That's what killed my interest in DVD purchases. i haven't bought a DVD in at least 3 years. Watching a bluray that didn't get a descent transfer on a big screen really hinders the quality of the image so watching even a good DVD just doesn't cut it.
But I wholeheartedly agree that if a film doesn't stand a chance for a bluray release (or it's years away), it's silly not to get the DVD version if you're into film and not just eye candy. I guess I just need to watch them on my 55" instead where all the flaws don't show.
Epson 6010 3D projector
Elite Cinetension electric 120" screen
Samsung UN55C800 55"
Denon 3808CI
7.2 Def Tech speakers with SVS PB2000 & PB12 NSD
Oppo BDP-93
APC J-10 power conditioner
Other stuff

Last edited by koover; 11-26-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #113
Special Member

Jul 2008

I don't buy DVDs unless there is no alternative, or I simply don't care enough due to the price difference (which really only occurs with one thing - South Park. I own every season on DVD and unless the Blu-Rays drop to $10 or $15, I'll continue buying them in DVD format.)

I still own more DVDs than Blu-Rays, but I trade in a lot of DVDs and am constantly adding Blus, so the totals are starting to even out. I'm sitting somewhere in the ballpark of 365 Blu-Rays (354 or so by my collection count here, but I haven't added things that aren't in hand yet) and right around 410 DVDs.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #114
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Tulsa, OK (formally S. Wales)

There is a Masters of the Universe set coming out in a few weeks that I am seriously considering picking up. That's on DVD. Other than that, I rarely consider buying them as I want an updated and current library.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #115

Jan 2010
Toronto

I am completely fine with still buying DVD and d.
I have already sold off pretty much all the DVDs I wanted to upgrade. Some releases will probably never even get a blu release and with some others, buying it on blu vs a cheaper DVD doesn't really make a difference for my viewing pleasure either way.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #116

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by koover View Post
Anyone watch their films on a projector/big screen only? That's what killed my interest in DVD purchases. i haven't bought a DVD in at least 3 years. Watching a bluray that didn't get a descent transfer on a big screen really hinders the quality of the image so watching even a good DVD just doesn't cut it.
But I wholeheartedly agree that if a film doesn't stand a chance for a bluray release (or it's years away), it's silly not to get the DVD version if you're into film and not just eye candy. I guess I just need to watch them on my 55" instead where all the flaws don't show.
Lol or an even smaller screen . I'd like to eventually get a setup optimized for SD viewing since like you've mentioned DVD isn't the best format for big screen viewing. But I'd rather watch a DVD I already own than buy a poor bluray release of the same movie. It seems like a coin toss for a lot of the catalog movies I'd still like to upgrade. But if I didn't have the movie at all I'd take the bluray option.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #117
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

The last of the DVDs I will be buying are TV box sets like Community etc...
"I'm going to destroy them." - John 'Breacher' Wharton - Sabotage (2014)
Old 11-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #118

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
DVDs are not THAT bad! Before blu-ray and the former HD-DVD format were introduced on the market, DVDs were sufficient then, so why strictly avoid DVDs now? Thousands of movies that's been released on DVD, may never be released on blu-ray. What are you going to do, if you want a particular movie that's not released on blu-ray? Wait months, years, or centuries for it to be released on blu-ray, if ever?
I do buy DVD in special circumstances, but frankly I'd rather rent from Netflix than buy it, to reduce double dipping when a Blu-ray version gets released.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #119
Expert Member

Apr 2011
Katy, TX

On the topic of DVDs, what is up with the DVD search feature on this site? I'll type in a title like "Dead Like Me" and it will bring down the list of the complete collection, season 1, season 2 and the follow-up tv movie. When I click any of these, it takes me to a completely different title. Example: clicking the complete collection takes me to the Mystic River blu-ray release for GB. What the hell?

Edit: It is even doing it on the DVD deals page!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America