Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big Hero 6 3D (Blu-ray)
£4.99

The Bridge: The Complete Season Four (Blu-ray)
£17.99

The Changeling (Blu-ray)
£17.99

The Dragon Missile (Blu-ray)
£8.99
13 hrs ago
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
£19.99

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Blu-ray)
£14.99

The Commuter (Blu-ray)
£10.00

eXistenZ (Blu-ray)
£12.50

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.99

One-Armed Swordsman (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Maze Runner: The Death Cure (Blu-ray)
£9.98

Logan (Blu-ray)
£7.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 01-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #121

Dec 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
It seems not as they appear to be producing some new extras and that some members of the Restoration Team are involved.
At this stage it's just rumour, but there are indications from various outlets/people that it's true.

I too was opposed to the idea of Classic Who season sets at first, especially as I spent 10+ years collecting the DVDs. However, many of the earlier releases have pretty poor encodes compared to the later ones.
I watched An Unearthly Child just last night and it looks awful at times, it just looks too soft a fuzzy. A Blu-ray would certainly give it a sharper, more pleasing image even if it's not full HD.

Plus some of the original camera negatives exists for a handful of stories, so the location footage for those could at least be presented in HD.
The camera negatives for all of Peter Davison's first season (Season 19) all exist, so I'd consider that a very worthwhile release.

I remain skeptical, but they may be worth it if done well.
I'm not opposed as such, I'd rather they follow either the Spearhead From Space or a barebones/vanilla at a reasonable price model rather than what they did with the Shada steelbook and bung everything from the DVD on it.

As i believe I already said, I'd be buying these for genuinely improved A/V rather than value added content so it seems pointless going to the time and expense of replicating (admittedly often very good indeed) on disc content that can be gotten elsewhere and is quite probably already owned by the majority of purchasers.

EDIT: Having read much of the USA thread it appears I might be in the minority re value added material. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Last edited by yer wot?; 01-20-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #122
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by yer wot? View Post
I'm not opposed as such, I'd rather they follow either the Spearhead From Space or a barebones/vanilla at a reasonable price model rather than what they did with the Shada steelbook and bung everything from the DVD on it.

As i believe I already said, I'd be buying these for genuinely improved A/V rather than value added content so it seems pointless going to the time and expense of replicating (admittedly often very good indeed) on disc content that can be gotten elsewhere and is quite probably already owned by the majority of purchasers.

EDIT: Having read much of the USA thread it appears I might be in the minority re value added material. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
But then I wouldn't want to hold onto the DVDs for the sake of some extras (I only have so much shelf space). IMO it makes far more sense for everything to be in one place and at the end of the day the whole point of a Blu-ray release should be to replace the DVDs, covering both the episodes and special features.

That goes for any film or TV series, if I'm upgrading to a better format I want everything from past releases to be there.

It certainly doesn't make for a particularly enticing purchase to veto special features, especially if the upgrade is minimal or only apparent on certain episodes.
Thanks given by:
mar3o (01-24-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #123
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

The porting, or not, of existing extras will pretty much determine whether or not I spring for the classic blus.

I'm all for the space-saving and better PQ (even if it is only due to better compression/encoding and bitrates), however if that marginal upgrade comes at the expense of many of the extras disappearing then I'm not interested.
Split like light refracted....
....across a moonlit mile
Thanks given by:
Jezza (01-20-2018), mar3o (01-24-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #124

Nov 2017

Hmm... This had every chance to be the definitive version of Shada and the new animated scenes work very well and are much better at smoothly linking the existing material than the old Tom Baker narrated version. However, this has not been the case due to the decision to edit into a 'movie-length' edit. I don't buy the argument that this was the only way to include all the original material without cutting anything: it's not being broadcast on TV in a proscribed time-slot so episodes of varying length doesn't matter (and they varied in length back in the day anyway). Even if they did have to cut scenes for the edit, isn't that what bonus discs and blu-ray extras are for.

I'm old enough to remember when the BBC used to edit together the VHS releases into single 'movies' and how unpopular that was, especially with the six parters (like Shada) which come out as just too long. Additionally, the stories where written and shot in an episodic format, with a cliff-hanger endings, which makes for an odd narrative structure when edited together rendering the cliff-hangers distracting and meaningless by their immediate resolution when you take away the episode endings.

I know some people have mentioned the Curse of Fenric special edition but the 'movie' cut was an extra in addition to the original, episodic, edit. If you are going to have a 'movie' edit then there should have been the option to choose how you wanted to watch.

Ultimately, Shada was was written as a six parter and always intended as a six parter and, in my opinion, should have been presented as such. A missed opportunity for me.
Thanks given by:
mar3o (01-24-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #125

Oct 2008
TEXAS!

Quote:
The problem for the US is some players struggle with 1080i50 content, hence why there is some ambiguity over whether it's actually region free.

It's up to you whether you take the chance or not.
I imported the Region Free Shada Blu-Ray and it plays fine on my equipment (I'm in Dallas TX). My Blu-Ray player is an Xbox One S, and it's a 4K something or other from Samsung. No problems here.

Quote:
But then I wouldn't want to hold onto the DVDs for the sake of some extras (I only have so much shelf space). IMO it makes far more sense for everything to be in one place and at the end of the day the whole point of a Blu-ray release should be to replace the DVDs, covering both the episodes and special features.

That goes for any film or TV series, if I'm upgrading to a better format I want everything from past releases to be there.

It certainly doesn't make for a particularly enticing purchase to veto special features, especially if the upgrade is minimal or only apparent on certain episodes.
Agreed. My upgrading Classic Who to Blu-Ray is mostly dependent on Extras. I don't want to double buy unless all existing materials are picked up.
-- Joe Siegler
"I'll fluff your Garfield if you know what I mean!"
[ View my Digital Movie Collection ]
Old 01-24-2018, 05:26 PM   #126
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by yer wot? View Post

Many fans never bought the DVDs, or missed some of them, as they were expensive, and they were released over a long period of time. And there are always new fans discovering the series. Many of the older DVDs are long out of print now so it's impossible to start collecting the series now. Any classic release on blu-ray should include all the previously released extras, in the correct framerate, for those who never got the chance to buy them previously. Why should new fans miss out on all those amazing extras just because they weren't around when the DVDs were being released?

Personally, I would not buy the classic Baker set (if it's real) unless all the extras are ported over correctly.
How to go Region B with 3D in the US:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....5#post14437735
Old 01-24-2018, 08:06 PM   #127
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
UK

Every story remains in print in the UK. Older editions replaced with SEs have been allowed to go OOP and The Two Doctors was withdrawn and reissued without Jimmy Saville in the extras.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:00 AM   #128
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011

How about the US?

At any rate, it's far more attractive for new fans to buy a season at a time on blu-ray for a reasonable price than the very expensive way of doing it with DVDs - each story was around $20-$25. That's over $100 per season just for a handful of stories. It's a bunch of episodes, but it's still very expensive doing it that way, which is why I don't own them all. Too expensive to buy them all. But if you could pick them up a season at a time for say $50-$60, that's much more reasonable. And they already made their money over the years on the DVDs being bought by the serious fans and collectors. I think the blu-rays would be great to get the episodes in more fans' hands.
How to go Region B with 3D in the US:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....5#post14437735
Old 01-25-2018, 07:17 AM   #129
Power Member

Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Every story remains in print in the UK. Older editions replaced with SEs have been allowed to go OOP and The Two Doctors was withdrawn and reissued without Jimmy Saville in the extras.
Didn't know The Two Doctors was re-issued, I have the version with the Jimmy Saville clip, as I remember watching it not long before the Saville thing blew up.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #130
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
How about the US?
For whatever reason they've decided to let a random number go OOP there.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:17 AM   #131

Nov 2016
Time, And Relative Dimensions In Space
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
For whatever reason they've decided to let a random number go OOP there.
Yeah, I live in the U.S. and can tell you that is the case, and for some of those titles has been the case for quite sometime, but for me it doesn't matter, as I purchased all of the episodes I wanted as they were being released. I even bought many of the rereleases - those 'Special Editions'.

Now apparently some of those Out Of Print Region 1 episodes are selling for ridiculous amounts on Ebay here in the U.S.

Just glad I got mine.

What I'm not glad about is the whole Steelbook thing, what with the U.S. fans being forced to order from the UK, and be charged ridiculous Shipping Charges for it, and that's if they can find a seller in the UK that will Sell / Ship to them?

Which right now I can't.

I looked on Amazon, and all the sellers I saw were all listed by Amazon as being not available for shipping to the U.S.

Yet I actually saw / read reviews on Amazon UK of shoppers who live in the U.S. and had bought the item, and had it shipped to them in the U.S.!

Of course many of them were complaining in the reviews about not being able to play the Shada All-Region discs on their players.

Mostly about Sony players, but I also read about other brands as well.

If I did find a copy for sale at a decent price, managed to get it, and it didn't play, I would obviously be very disappointed, but I would still keep it, as it would be a good collectible, and I already have some WHO collectibles that I never play, because they are still sealed, as they are rare, and far more valuable left sealed.

Still, I don't get why the BBC won't acknowledge the United States Doctor Who fanbase? And release the disc in limited editions (like in the UK) in a proper U.S. Region set? Don't they think it's worth their time, that they wouldn't earn enough profit?

Maybe it's not as big as the UK, sure, BUT it's still a fanbase that's there all the same, and we deserve the recognition.

If not the BBC releasing official U.S. Region Steelbooks, there should at least be major retailers here in the U.S. that
carry the UK All-Region imports with the blessing of the BBC.

There should be an outlet here in the U.S for us to purchase those Steelbooks, without all the hassles, and B.S.

It's really quite a tease, and unfair when the Steelbooks are listed as All-Region, and yet no one in the UK wants to ship them here...unless it's at some ridiculous INFLATED Shipping rate.

I have seen the Spearhead from Space Steelbook available here in the U.S. online for a fair price, as the seller is in the U.S. but all the Shada Steelbooks I've seen are so far ALL in the UK only.

THX to all posters here who have posted info / links on this subject.

DOC
"I'm a Time Lord...I Walk in Eternity."

Last edited by The 4th Doctor; 01-26-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:32 AM   #132

Nov 2016
Question

Quote:
The truth is like it or not, Classic Who outside the UK is an extremely niche product and a Blu-ray release would require a different encode to present it properly in the US. So that's extra time and extra expense where it may not be marketable enough to justify releasing it.

I'm not sure if you're aware but many of the Region 1 DVDs have subsequently gone out of print, possibly because they're no longer turning a profit. So it doesn't surprise me there is no US Blu-ray of Shada.

To be fair there was never any clarification that Spearhead would be the only Classic Who on Blu-ray, just that it appeared that way due to the nature of the existing source material. If I recall the Blu-ray actually came with a sticker saying "The First Classic Doctor Who Story on Blu-ray", so one could read into that that there were plans for more.

The Restoration Team have always said that if put on Blu-ray Classic Who could look better than the DVDs, if only for a slight improvement, because the nature of DVD results in far more compression than Blu-ray. They even scanned the episodes in HD and restored them as HD files so that all the detail could be extracted for the restoration, but that was reduced down for transferring to DVD.
Also, as I outlined in a previous post, some of the original film elements or negatives still exists for the location footage on some episodes, so a Blu-ray could present that in HD. (All of Peter Davison's first could be presented in HD)

And at the end of the day BBC Worldwide's purpose is always to make money, that's the point of season sets, especially now all the episodes have been released on DVD. If anything I'm surprised they haven't come out sooner.
And in fairness the only reason it took so long for them to be released on DVD was because they were restoring all the episodes from the ground up. Many of the early Pertwee episodes only exist as B/W film recordings, so they had to wait for technology to be affordable enough to be able to recolourise those episodes and that only became available around the end of the range.

The season set hasn't been officially announced, hence the lack of concrete evidence, but it did appear as a listing on Best Buy a month ago as well as an Australian site.

Here are a couple of sites that have the listing, as well as it being released in October:
https://www.moviesunlimited.com/doct...n/883929620111
https://shop.tcm.com/doctor-who-tom-...n/883929620111

There is also a thread on this forum:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=300192

The indication it's going to be part of a major rebrand of the show to tie in with Series 11.

If done well then Season sets could be an improvement over the DVDs, especially as there are still quite a few faults with the DVDs that I'm sure the Restoration Team would like to fix. Plus there are various things that couldn't have been included on the DVDs, such as better encoding (many of the early DVDs use a very old encode) and HD film footage. Plus for you and others in North America you'll finally be able to see Classic Who at full resolution as PAL has a higher resolution than NTSC.

We'll have to wait and see and I'm not keen on the idea of rebuying everything for a third time, but if handled properly and the Restoration Team are involved (and indications show that they are) then I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Thank You Jezza for all the info, and links - very much appreciated.

DOC
Old 02-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #133

Nov 2016
Question

Well on Friday afternoon I finally went ahead, and purchased this through Zavvi.

Can't wait to receive it, though from what I understand Zavvi is really slooow shipping, so it could be a while?

Just as long as I get it, and it's not damaged. The shipping costs were really quite low, so I'm slightly concerned that the steelbook could arrive with a ding, or a dent, etc; That the packaging won't be sufficient enough for it to travel to the U.S.

I'm nervous about dealing with Zavvi, because living here in the U.S., I'd never even heard of them. Initially I found the site on my own, after googling 'Shada Steelbook'. I looked the site over, and thought it looked very amateurish - like some fly-by-night counterfeit scammers site, and decided not to order from there. Also, I was surprised at the low price for the Shada Steelbook, and the really low shipping cost to the U.S. so it all seemed a little too good to be true.

Though I received several recommendations through this site, that they were slow, but safe, so I figured I'd give em a shot.

I got tired of waiting for an affordable one to come up on Ebay. The last one I bid on, on Ebay finished at well over $60 (American) dollars.

I missed out on it, as the auction was ending at an odd time for me here in the U.S., and I had to go to bed. I last checked it around 5:30 am, and I was the leading bidder, and had been for days, and I had several reserve bids put in.

Yet I just knew I wasn't going to get it, and I didn't. I got up later that morning, and it was sold to someone else for over $10 more than my highest bid. (I thought Ebay was supposed to have bargains - HAH! Stuff on there often goes for more than retail.)

Anyway, I tired Zavvi...hope it works out.

DOC
Old 02-04-2018, 04:39 AM   #134

Feb 2011
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 4th Doctor View Post

Unfortunately, I've also read the many complaints on Amazon from those who live in the U.S., and purchased the Steelbook - only to find out that even though it's listed as being "0 REGION", or "ALL REGION" - that it doesn't actually play!

Many buyers were able to access the menus, but little else...
That's what happened to me. Tried on 2 different Sony models and in both cases I was only able to get to the menu.

I do have a Region B player so I was able to watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 4th Doctor View Post
Well on Friday afternoon I finally went ahead, and purchased this through Zavvi.

Can't wait to receive it, though from what I understand Zavvi is really slooow shipping, so it could be a while?

Order Date: 2018-01-22

Ship Date: 2018-01-23

In Hand (Los Angeles): 2018-01-30

Not Amazon Prime, but not too bad.
Thanks given by:
The 4th Doctor (02-14-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 06:20 AM   #135

Nov 2016
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstar View Post
That's what happened to me. Tried on 2 different Sony models and in both cases I was only able to get to the menu.

I do have a Region B player so I was able to watch it.

No, not bad at all!

I'm the first to admit that I'm an impatient b*st*rd, but that's not much of a wait at all, and I've waited longer for items that I bought off of Ebay, from sellers that were in the U.S.!

So hopefully I will get mine safe, and sound soon.

I was initially worried about Zavvi, not only because I'd never heard of them before, but also because I'd read some really crap reviews on their not delivering items at all!

I hope they won't disappoint...we'll see.

As for my Blu-Ray player, it's a Samsung.

Fingers crossed it will play the discs (if I get 'em!)

DOC
Old 02-04-2018, 06:21 AM   #136

Nov 2016
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
It is Region Free, but it is 1080/50i encode which pretty much all US SONY players (except PS4) will choke on since Sony intentionally disabled that function.

Most (not quite all) non Sony players will play it fine

Fingers crossed my Samsung will.

Though I'd read complaints about the discs, and that they did actually play the menus on some players, but just wouldn't load anything else other than the menus.

DOC
Old 02-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #137

Nov 2016
Question

Quote:

Well, mine was ordered this past Friday, 2nd February, and was being 'processed' over the weekend. (I know, because I kept logging-in like a little kid, and checking! LOL)

I received an email from Zavvi today (Monday 5th of February) confirming my Steelbook had been shipped, and that the Delivery dates are to be between Monday,19th February, and the Tuesday,20th of February.

(I live in Ohio)

So we'll see.

DOC

EDIT:

Just curious, but WHO delivered to your house?

Was it U.S. Postal Service, UPS, Fed-EX, or another?

Did you have to sign for the item?
Old 02-06-2018, 05:28 AM   #138

Nov 2016
Question

Quote:
Every item I've gotten from Zavvi using normal shipping came by USPS -- averaging 14 days.

Cool.

Thank You for that feedback, it gives me an idea of when to expect it, as well as just who will be delivering.

DOC
Old 02-10-2018, 05:49 AM   #139

Nov 2016
Question

Quote:

Actually I wanted to ask you if you don't mind...

Did you order from the US Zavvi site

https://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/doctor-...FQK4swod5i0N4A

OR did you order from the Zavvi UK site?

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/doctor...ductsuggestion

I was just curious...

DOC
Old 02-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #140

Nov 2016
Question

Quote:
I've never ordered from the US site -- higher shipping cost (though much closer now than it used to be) and as far as I can tell it's still shipped from UK from reading other comments.

My Shada SB
Ordered 1/30
Never received shipment email, but listed as dispatched on Zavvi site around 1/31 with ETA 2/13 - 2/14

Delivered by USPS 2/7

Thank You.

I appreciate that info, as it gives me an idea of what to expect in my dealings with Zavvi.

I myself had ordered from the Zavvi US site. Though I did suspect that the shipment would be from the UK.

The Shipping was $2.99.

I thought that was very cheap considering it was coming from the UK.

Especially when I see the UK sellers on Ebay asking for $20, or more for Shipping.

I wish I could have afforded the Tracking, but it was $20, and there's no way I could justify that.

Thank You again for the additional Shipping info.

DOC
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Tags
doctor who, tom baker