Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 12-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #281
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
I remember seeing an interview with Brad Bird once and he said he was always a fan of Star Trek... I think he'd do an amazing job, and would be the right guy to drive the franchise back on path and to the future. My other choices would be sketchy at best, but I'd love Alex Proyas or Darren Aronofsky to try Star Trek...
After just finishing THE WOLVERINE, I'd like to throw James Mangold's hat into the ring for Director.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPom View Post
I think they should put Trek on hold for awhile. There is no audience out there for it anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts Ghost View Post
Oh please...
Lol, Walt - dont' ever feel a need to reply to that type of post.
Have you ever read Anything Positive from him, anywhere? It seems he hates everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by assydingo View Post
Do you feel the same way about a TV series?

That might work better because then it can be everything. Action, philosophy, social satire, world exploring, and tons of character interaction. Whereas a movie has to compete with other big blockbusters in a two or so hour time frame.
That's it, exactly. Movie's like this have 2 hours to get everything in, characters/character development, action, etc., & all while trying to appease the masses, which will Never happen (most of the time).
** Boston, MA. - 8 Sports Titles in 11 Years!! (2002-2013) **

** R.I.P. - RICHIE HAYWARD - (2/6/46 - 8/12/10) **
POLK AUDIO: "LIVE IT, BREATHE IT, LOVE IT, BELIEVE IT!"
50" Samsung DLP - POLK AUDIO - "7.2" Set-up - Center: CS2 - Front: T90e's
Surrounds: FXi A6's (Side), A3's (Rear) - Subs: 2 PA-120's
Onkyo TX-SR706 - OPPO BDP-83 - DirecTV: "GENIE"/HR-44 HD-DVR - Harmony ONE
BLU-RAYS: 893
Old 12-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #282
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodude73 View Post
After just finishing THE WOLVERINE, I'd like to throw James Mangold's hat into the ring for Director.

Lol, Walt - dont' ever feel a need to reply to that type of post.
Have you ever read Anything Positive from him, anywhere? It seems he hates everything

That's it, exactly. Movie's like this have 2 hours to get everything in, characters/character development, action, etc., & all while trying to appease the masses, which will Never happen (most of the time).

I'm one of the few people in the thread that liked both Trek movies. I want JJ to come back to direct.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #283
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008

Quote:
I'm one of the few people in the thread that liked both Trek movies. I want JJ to come back to direct.
Wait, you Actually LIKED something?

I'd love to have him back, but if they get a competent enough director for the 3rd one, I have no problem with that. Plus, Less LENS FLARES...

Old 12-12-2013, 01:07 AM   #284
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Wait, you Actually LIKED something?

I'd love to have him back, but if they get a competent enough director for the 3rd one, I have no problem with that. Plus, Less LENS FLARES...
I didn't really notice any lens flares. Too busy trying to enjoy the movie to count.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #285
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008

Quote:
I didn't really notice any lens flares. Too busy trying to enjoy the movie to count.
Lol - I enjoyed both too but they are noticeable (& as to Not derail THIS movie's thread, let's move along).

ON TOPIC:

At least JJ will be Exec Producing this, so his hand-print will be there one way or another.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:06 AM   #286
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
As difficult as pleasing everyone is they weren't that far off. The first new Trek was the best. It got the characters right and had the emotional gravitas. The sequel succeeded in action but fumbled with some of the drama. Still, it's as good or better than the average blockbuster. The first is way above that.

What's fun about Star Trek is they can do anything. Doesn't always have to be action heavy. Very interested to see what they do with the third.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #287

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal King View Post
Look, if you can't handle someone having a different opinion than your own, then don't even bother typing out an insulting response.

You used a personal attack because I compared 2 movies with tons of empty action and paper-thin characters to the filmography of a director who specializes in movies with tons of empty action and paper-thin characters. Now who's being a spoiled child?
It wasn't a personal attack.

I accept many of the criticisms people have for these movies. You didn't like the portrayal of Khan, or the rehashing of older plotlines, you're entitled to feel that way. I won't try to convince you otherwise.

I just don't buy the "paper thin characters" a legitimate criticism. If you look at every positive review of these two movies they were almost unanimously praised for their character dynamics. Hell, most people talk about having man tears when they watch George Kirk's scene in the opener of 2009. Those first ten minutes of Star Trek have more emotional value than Bay's entire filmography.

Do we have humor that panders to the lowest common denominator? I'm talking about mothers smoking pot, dogs and robots humping, autobots urinating... etc etc.

Were these movies closer to three hours than two?

Are the women endlessly sexualized the way Megan Fox and Rosie Huntington are in Transformers? Wait, you got me, we see Alice Eve in her underwear for 2 seconds.
Some Favorites
Pre Date of Birth
Lawrence of Arabia Jaws Raiders of the Lost Ark Cool Hand Luke Godfather I-II The Hustler North By Northwest 12 Angry Men Empire Strikes Back The Searchers

Post Date of Birth Back to the Future Minority Report Se7en Truman Show Dark Knight Galaxy Quest Ocean's Eleven Children of Men Moneyball Star Trek 09 The Last Crusade Road to Perdition Skyfall
Old 12-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #288
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse75 View Post
It wasn't a personal attack.

I accept many of the criticisms people have for these movies. You didn't like the portrayal of Khan, or the rehashing of older plotlines, you're entitled to feel that way. I won't try to convince you otherwise.

I just don't buy the "paper thin characters" a legitimate criticism. If you look at every positive review of these two movies they were almost unanimously praised for their character dynamics. Hell, most people talk about having man tears when they watch George Kirk's scene in the opener of 2009. Those first ten minutes of Star Trek have more emotional value than Bay's entire filmography.

Do we have humor that panders to the lowest common denominator? I'm talking about mothers smoking pot, dogs and robots humping, autobots urinating... etc etc.

Were these movies closer to three hours than two?

Are the women endlessly sexualized the way Megan Fox and Rosie Huntington are in Transformers? Wait, you got me, we see Alice Eve in her underwear for 2 seconds.
This is the kind of response I would have appreciated to begin with so thank you, however belatedly, for writing it.

But wait, didn't the same guys (Orci and Kurtzman) write both the Transformers AND New Star Trek movies?
Old 12-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #289
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal King View Post
This is the kind of response I would have appreciated to begin with so thank you, however belatedly, for writing it.

But wait, didn't the same guys (Orci and Kurtzman) write both the Transformers AND New Star Trek movies?
Actually, no they didn't. Ehren Kruger wrote Dark of the Moon. Get your facts right before libeling people. Orci and Kurzman only wrote Part 1 and 2.

Last edited by RyanPom; 12-12-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #290
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman! View Post
Star Trek - imdb 8/10 ; Rotten tomatoes - 95%(critics); 91%(audience); Yahoo users 4.5/5

Star Trek Into Darkness - imdb 7.9/10 ; Rotten Tomatoes - 87%(critics); 91%(audience); Yahoo users 4/5

Clearly you alone because those are one of the highest action movies in 2009 and 2013...
He is not alone. I said it before, the numbers lie. People like to talk about how much a movie makes but they don't adjust for inflation. Movies today should be making a small forture due to the price of a movie ticket. Look at how many of the big films are coming out in 3D - think that extra $3-5 a ticket doesn't help make it sound more successful than it is? After Earth made almost $250 million at the box office which isn't bad but everyone agrees that it is a horrible movie. How could it make so much and yet be so bad?

As for the ratings, not surprising that they are so high when anytime someone has something bad to say, it just get dismissed. It amazes me that Into Darkness has been out on bluray for months as we are still hearing the film makers defend it - JJ just admitted it was stupid to try and hide the fact that it was Khan. If the movie is so great, why are they still defending it? That score is based off of 1000 reviews on IMDB. You can't believe a convention that says Into Darkness was the worst Trek movie ever because it represents such a small number of people but you can when 1000 say how good it is? Ever been to a sci-fi/Trek convention? It isn't like only 50 people show up. If people actually listened and didn't just dismiss the negative reviews, you might get a truer picture.

If you like the movie, great. But people need to start realizing that everyone isn't liking these movies no matter what sites like IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes say. You are getting people here who are telling you they don't like it so why are you fighting them?

Last edited by blonde_devil; 12-12-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #291
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

I'm starting to realize NO one really likes movies here. Everyone is such a grump about everything. Every thread here is a big gripe fest.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #292
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Quote:
I'm starting to realize NO one really likes movies here. Everyone is such a grump about everything. Every thread here is a big gripe fest.
It's like anything else - people like certian things and not others. I love movies but there are certian genres and actors I can't stand. I am sure you are the same. Just personal preference.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #293
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013
-

Quote:
Actually, no they didn't. Ehren Kruger wrote Dark of the Moon. Get your facts right before libeling people. Orci and Kurzman only wrote Part 1 and 2.
"libeling people" - LOL!

Two out of three is close enough and it's not like any of the Transformers movies are substantially different from each other.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:29 AM   #294
Collectibles Moderator

Nov 2008

Quote:
Yes, seriously. The last movie underperformed in the States, and a lot of older Trek fans were denouncing the movie before they had even seen a scene.
228 Million domestic is and under performance? Lets be real now
Old 12-13-2013, 02:32 AM   #295
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfoc View Post
228 Million domestic is and under performance? Lets be real now
I was being sarcastic. I was waiting for some guy to tell me that money doesn't equal success.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #296
Collectibles Moderator

Nov 2008

Quote:
I was being sarcastic. I was waiting for some guy to tell me that money doesn't equal success.
got cha
Old 12-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #297

Jun 2010

It's a tricky discussion because we're talking about art.

You can say 100% of critics liked it and fans voted it into IMDB's top 10 all time, but at the end of the day it's everyone's right to not like any movie.

The only thing you can really hope for is that the people in the minority, acknowledge that very fact.
Some Favorites
Pre Date of Birth
Lawrence of Arabia Jaws Raiders of the Lost Ark Cool Hand Luke Godfather I-II The Hustler North By Northwest 12 Angry Men Empire Strikes Back The Searchers

Post Date of Birth Back to the Future Minority Report Se7en Truman Show Dark Knight Galaxy Quest Ocean's Eleven Children of Men Moneyball Star Trek 09 The Last Crusade Road to Perdition Skyfall
Old 12-13-2013, 03:17 AM   #298
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Oakland ,Ca Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse75 View Post
It's a tricky discussion because we're talking about art.

You can say 100% of critics liked it and fans voted it into IMDB's top 10 all time, but at the end of the day it's everyone's right to not like any movie.

The only thing you can really hope for is that the people in the minority, acknowledge that very fact.
nice

cant wait for more news on this movie.
PSN -RAGEofACHILLES79
"I know 46 way's to kill a clown"

Sony Bravia 50"KDL- W800B LED* Pioneer Elite Vsx23* Pioneer SP FS52* Pioneer SP C22* Polk R150* Premier Acoustic PA120* Sony BDP-S790 * Logitech Harmony 1100 Remote* Monster Power HDP1800 *
Old 12-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #299
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Money = success when you like a movie. Money ≠ success when you hate a movie. Get it straight or lose your internet card.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:56 AM   #300
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Hey, I was wondering something...

Is Data's head still buried under the ground?

I believe it is in a state of temporal flux. He still would have visited the past in this timeline, but certain events from the present would jeopardize his creation in the future, such as interstellar relations and things like Vger which might not be dealt with properly this time around.

Just food for thought... Would anyone like to see Data alongside the new crew if they find his head for whatever reason...

Although that involves going back to Earth, and I was hoping with the beginning of the five year mission the next movie would be see as far away from it as possible (I seen it too much in the last two offerings...).
Display: BenQ MW519, 8mm PJ, Panasonic 50" TH-50PX70A, LG 42" 42LA6230, Soniq 32" LCD, LG 23.6" w2363D
Sound: LG 5.1 DVD combo, Logitech 5.1
Players: Apple TV x3, Sony PS4 500GB, Sony PS3 Slim 160GB, Soniq 3D BDP
Computers i3 Desktop, Asus i7 Laptop, iMac 19" 2007
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies