Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08

Odds Against Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.72
9 hrs ago
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Purge: Election Year (Blu-ray)
$5.99
19 hrs ago
Jurassic Park (Blu-ray)
$7.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 AM   #1

Sep 2010
Default Bellflower (11/15/11)

Bellflower Blu-ray

Bellflower Blu-ray Review

Didn't see a thread on this...so, I figured I would start one just to say:

This is my third favorite film of 2011, behind DRIVE and Take Shelter.

Seriously, it's that good. I had heard a little about this movie, but not enough to warrant seeking it out. However, after reading the blu-ray review, I decided to give it a go. Really glad I did...I was literally in awe from the opening frame to the last.

It was well acted, stylish, unique, haunting, and disturbing.

Still trying to wrap my mind around the last 10 minutes of the film. It's definitely one of those movies that will require multiple viewings.

With a film this unique...that shouldn't be a problem.

And, yes, MEDUSA is a bad ass car.

Great movie. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Last edited by rushmore309; 01-28-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #2

Nov 2007

glad i picked this up at half priced books last weekend for $10.gotta love those 50% off coupons
Old 11-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Letterboxd

I saw this at WM last night. First time I had seen this. Noticed it was from same studio that released Rare Exports. The package was not a digipack like RE. I think I have to order it online to get that version. WM just had disc only version. This film looks right up my alley.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Bellflower Blu-ray Review
Old 11-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_Gaines View Post
I saw this at WM last night. First time I had seen this. Noticed it was from same studio that released Rare Exports. The package was not a digipack like RE. I think I have to order it online to get that version. WM just had disc only version. This film looks right up my alley.
Yeah, today was the first time that I've actually seen an Oscilloscope Films release that wasn't in a cardboard packaging... Best Buy was actually selling Rare Exports in a plastic blu-ray case. I've only ever seen the Oscillosope releases in the cardboard packaging so it was quite strange to see it that way. I imagine that the larger chain stores are going to carry them in a standard plastic case from now, whereas smaller independent chains like Newbury Comics up here in New England carry the original cardboard packaging, along with Barnes & Noble stores.

If you're not familiar with Oscilloscope Films definitely check out their website. Oscilloscope was started by Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys, and they have amassed a nice collection of documentaries and narrative films in their collection now.

Bellflower is a fantastic film debut that I was lucky enough to see in the theater, so I hope you find enjoyment in it.
"I have no religion. I don't belong to any faith. I don't need a god, salvation or eternal life. I'm my own god, I supply my own angels and demons." - Riten

"In truth, I am but a poor jester in this farce of dark shadows." - Gycklarnas afton

"Life is merely a cruel and sensual arc from cradle to grave." - Fängelse
Old 11-26-2011, 03:02 AM   #6
Expert Member

May 2011

My copy from amazon came in a cardboard digipack. As for the movie, woo. Wouldn't say it's the best movie I've seen so far this year, but probably my favorite.

While I think the movie does mire itself too much in all matter of unpleasantness near the end of the second act(?), gotta give it credit for giving me such a strong and conflicted emotional reaction. Also, surprisingly funny.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:35 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010

I prefer the awesome cardboard packaging that the studio is known for.

Anyway, just watched the movie this weekend. Thought it was pretty badass. Almost like an independent companion piece to Fight Club. I loved it. Loved the style and look of the film. There's a lot to admire here. With his first feature film Evan Glodell has proved to be a filmmaker to watch. It's amazing what has been accomplished with such a small budget. The acting in the film is a little amateurish but I did find the leads (one of them being Glodell himself) to have a nice charm. I thought they worked really well together.

Highly recommend this!

9/10 (A-)

On a side note, I wish the studio would release Wendy & Lucy on Blu-ray. They weren't putting out Blu-rays at the time that came out.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:05 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Minnesota
Send a message via AIM to Minimejer05 Send a message via MSN to Minimejer05 Send a message via Yahoo to Minimejer05 Send a message via Skype™ to Minimejer05

Hoping to get this for Xmas. Saw the film in theaters and really enjoyed it.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

I rented this the day it came out. I'm very glad I checked this one out despite some mixed reviews. I thought it was an awesome film that kept me engrossed from the moment it started until the credits rolled. I don't think this is one I'd add to my collection, but definitely recommend others to check it out.
1080P TV: Samsung LN40A650 Fronts: MartinLogan Prefaces Center: MartinLogan Encore TF Surrounds: Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD Processor: Emotiva UMC-1 Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 Blu-Ray Player: Momitsu BDP-899 (Region Free) MonoPrice Banana Plugs Monster & Rocketfish HDMI Cables Emotiva Interconnects In-Wall 12 AWG Speaker Cables
Old 12-19-2011, 03:20 AM   #10
Blu-ray Jedi

Aug 2011
Starship Avalon (You're My Shooting Star, You Make My Heart Ascend)

I saw this at Walmart a few weeks ago when it had a slip. Then last week i saw it again and no slip. and that's after i decided I wanted to get it. Everywhere this movie seems to be 20 dollars or more.
Biggest Jen fan! I saw Red Sparrow 8 times in theaters. X-Men: Dark Phoenix 2/14/19 in 242 days.

Red Sparrow available on Digital, BD, 4K & DVD now.

We got lost along the way. But we found each other. And we made a life. A beautiful life... together. - Aurora
Jennifer Lawrence Appreciation Thread
Old 12-19-2011, 04:24 AM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

May 2011
NJ
-

So, there's a Blu-ray only edition of this as well as the Blu-ray/DVD edition that comes in the cardboard packaging?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #12

Sep 2010

Just thought I would bump this one back up. I never hear anyone talk about this movie. It was one of my favorites from last year.

Trailer:

Old 04-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Jacksonville, FL

What an ugly and chaotic film, but all the better for it. Who wants a movie with apocalyptic themes to be beautiful and well handled? With a film so heavily involved with the end of the world you can't expect a happy ending, but what Bellflower gives us is something more. Survival into the end of the world for these two, simply means the end of their way with mass society. The separation of these two from the rest of the world is a very distinct analogy for the apocalypse and the ultimate, fitting finale for the film. The ending is a glimpse into the torn human spirit of acceptance, love, trust, and ultimately, what one needs in order to be fulfilled in their own eyes, not in others which everyone seems to be obsessed with. This is one hell of a unique indie film and although it doesn't quite reach my top 5 of last year, still gets a high recommendation.
MAIN (THEATER ROOM): TCL 55S401 4K TV
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
SEIKI SR4KP1 REGION FREE PLAYER
YAMAHA YHT-5920UBL 5.1
SONY PS3 80GB
AUXILIARY (BEDROOM): ELEMENT EL4KAMZ5517T 4K TV
LG-UP875, SAMSUNG BDJM57C
SONY STR-K660P 5.1
Old 04-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #14

Aug 2011
Firehouse, 2nd Floor

Forgot about this movie. Thanks for the bump. I have it on my netflix queue, but it got buried. Maybe I'll make it a double feature of apocalyptic depression with The Divide~
Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
PA

on sale for 48 hours fire sale
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=208707
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #16

Oct 2012

i saw the car at the maker faire a couple years ago and heard it was from an indie film. i only found the movie recently and watched it. it is definitely one of the better films i've seen in the past year.

btw, medusa is awesome in person...and fricken loud. the video does not do the volume justice.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

May 2011
NJ
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb95060 View Post
it is definitely one of the better films i've seen in the past year.
I don't think it gets as much credit as it deserves. It's one of my top 10 (or maybe 5) favorite films of the last decade or so.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopFilm View Post
I don't think it gets as much credit as it deserves. It's one of my top 10 (or maybe 5) favorite films of the last decade or so.
I've still only watched it once so I'm not 100% whether it's in the absolute top-tier with things like Downfall or The Lives of Others or if it's 'just' in the really, really good tier with things like Chronicle or Cloverfield or We Need to Talk About Kevin.

If I had to guess though I'd say it will pass subsequent viewings tests with flying colors.

Either way though, it's one of the better films from the past ten years or one of the best films from the past ten years.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross

Last edited by octagon; 01-03-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #19

Sep 2010

It always makes my day when I see this thread re-emerge.

Love this flick.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #20

Jun 2012
Nashville, TN

Finally got around to watching this. What a beautiful, strange, interesting, chaotic little movie.
10 Favorite Films: 1. The 400 Blows. 2. The Godfather 3.Back To The Future . 4. High Fidelity 5. Shawhank Redemption 6. Goodfellas 7.The Grand Illusion 8. Anatomy of a Murder 9. Major League 10. Forrest Gump.
200th BD: "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" (US).
300th BD: "Any Day Now."
400th BD: "Paranoia"
500th BD: "12 Years A Slave"
New classic: Hot Tub Time Machine
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America