Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Skyscraper 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.42

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$28.85

Shrek 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Pompeii 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.54
13 hrs ago
Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.05

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.22

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.38

Prometheus 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.20

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Monsters vs. Aliens 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Thunder and the House of Magic (Blu-ray)
$8.35

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.74

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 05-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #1061
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
I am curious to know how passive 3D on a OLED screen would fair against Vesa IR 3D (w/emitter) on a projector or LED panel
Passive's efficiency is simplicity oriented stability.
Images created with back-lighting will have grey for non-illuminated black issues and what ghosting artifacting has in common.
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (05-30-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 10:49 PM   #1062
Expert Member

Sep 2014
Stockholm

Quote:
I understand that because of the nature of OLED panels, 3D can be more enjoyable with passive 3D glasses
Definitely. I liked my active 3D with the Samsung I had but the passive 3D on LG OLED is more comfortable and gives you full HD resolution on a 4k display. I find myself enjoying 3D far more now and prefer it to 2D when previously I would only watch a few selected titles with 3D.

Big plus also; you can watch a widescreen 3D in full darkness and not be annoyed with the not so black bars
Home theater: LG 55E6V + Panasonic DP-UB820 + Pioneer HTP-072 5.1
Old 06-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #1063
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekky76 View Post
Definitely. I liked my active 3D with the Samsung I had but the passive 3D on LG OLED is more comfortable and gives you full HD resolution on a 4k display. I find myself enjoying 3D far more now and prefer it to 2D when previously I would only watch a few selected titles with 3D.

Big plus also; you can watch a widescreen 3D in full darkness and not be annoyed with the not so black bars
Does the picture get really dim with passive 3D on OLED, since you dont have a backlight?
Old 06-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #1064
Expert Member

Sep 2014
Stockholm

Quote:
Does the picture get really dim with passive 3D on OLED, since you dont have a backlight?
Not at all. OLED has great contrast and black levels. I actually have brightness below recommended setting and still bright and clear picture. I even prefer the tiny dim effect as it's more comfortable during very bright sequences.
Home theater: LG 55E6V + Panasonic DP-UB820 + Pioneer HTP-072 5.1
Old 06-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #1065
Special Member

Oct 2007
Quincy, MA

Quote:
I watched Inside Out in 3D on my 1080p OLED and the picture was bright and sharp (even with halved vertical resolution). Each pixel has it's own "backlight" so dimness is not an issue. Maybe if you had lots of windows and tried to watch during the day, but at night its fine.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #1066
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
I watched Inside Out in 3D on my 1080p OLED and the picture was bright and sharp (even with halved vertical resolution). Each pixel has it's own "backlight" so dimness is not an issue. Maybe if you had lots of windows and tried to watch during the day, but at night its fine.
But have you ever had the chance to compare to active 3D with battery-operated InfraRed glasses?
I hear mixed reviiews about what 3D technology is better
Old 06-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #1067
Special Member

Oct 2007
Quincy, MA

Quote:
But have you ever had the chance to compare to active 3D with battery-operated InfraRed glasses?
I hear mixed reviiews about what 3D technology is better
No, this is my first 3D tv. I am looking to get an active 3d projector within the year though.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #1068
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
No, this is my first 3D tv. I am looking to get an active 3d projector within the year though.
I am in the opposite situation
i have a couple of 3D projectors with IR glasses and I am about to own my first OLED TV with passive 3D
Old 06-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #1069
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
I am in the opposite situation
i have a couple of 3D projectors with IR glasses and I am about to own my first OLED TV with passive 3D
Just got my first ever OLED TV and experimented a bit with passive 3D...I was pleasantly surprised
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (06-12-2016), Paul H (06-11-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #1070
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Ghostbusters 2016 blu ray 3D likely due in stores by late October 2016 (for Halloween no doubt), or November (not as good for timing it), I'd put as a great option for 20+ strong 3D pop outs counted. Not everything is as strong even when it's overlapping the letterbox bars, but when it gets it right, it looks great in 3D and had me jump back a few times.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows 3D blu ray, likely on video October 2016, has some strong 3D pop outs, especially during the air plane scene. The whole movie currently ranks as a top 3D film in theaters for 2016 so far.
Thanks given by:
keenly (07-20-2016), MercurySeven (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #1071
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

What is your opinion of using the TV tool to turn 2D content to 3D? Do you think it is worth using at all on regular 2D blurays?
"What is seen cannot be unseen. What is known cannot be unknown. Once the grey black bars are seen they cannot be unseen! "
Old 07-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #1072
Banned

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Ghostbusters 2016 blu ray 3D likely due in stores by late October 2016 (for Halloween no doubt), or November (not as good for timing it), I'd put as a great option for 20+ strong 3D pop outs counted. Not everything is as strong even when it's overlapping the letterbox bars, but when it gets it right, it looks great in 3D and had me jump back a few times.
The original release date was 31st December. They seem to have removed the release date from Amazon since. I think it will release just before Christmas.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #1073
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2011
The Citadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalekbuster523Bluray View Post
The original release date was 31st December. They seem to have removed the release date from Amazon since. I think it will release just before Christmas.
I think those 31st December release dates are always placeholders before the definite date is confirmed.
"Still in all, every night we does the tell, so that we 'member who we was and where we came from... but most of all we 'members the man that finded us, him that came the salvage. And we lights the city, not just for him, but for all of them that are still out there. 'Cause we knows there come a night, when they sees the distant light, and they'll be comin' home."
Old 07-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #1074
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
What is your opinion of using the TV tool to turn 2D content to 3D? Do you think it is worth using at all on regular 2D blurays?
"The TV tool to turn 2D content to 3D" is an attention-attracting gimmick at best. it is a calculator that processes a set of visual problem-solving operations that are blindly followed with no human judgement for correction, and will most certainly produce errors for real-world results.
Thanks given by:
BleedOrange11 (08-26-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #1075
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
"The TV tool to turn 2D content to 3D" is an attention-attracting gimmick at best. it is a calculator that processes a set of visual problem-solving operations that are blindly followed with no human judgement for correction, and will most certainly produce errors for real-world results.
Of course, we shouldnt expect any mind-blowing visuals out of it, but couldnt this feature to some extent enhance the depth and overall PQ?
In my personal experience (with my passive 3D Oled panel) I feel like any 2D bluray looks better when switched to 3D: smoother, slicker, and deeper. But above all, it seems to alleviate any issues related with color banding/contouring/posterization (near black scenes look less messy for example)
"What is seen cannot be unseen. What is known cannot be unknown. Once the grey black bars are seen they cannot be unseen! "
Old 07-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #1076
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Quote:
........it seems to alleviate any issues related with color banding/contouring/posterization (near black scenes look less messy for example)
That would have value if the artifacts you mention are visibly present when in 2D mode, but I haven't noticed that added distraction on my OLED UHD 3D display and I continue to try to experience 3D illusion in only its director-intended form.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #1077
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
That would have value if the artifacts you mention are visibly present when in 2D mode, but I haven't noticed that added distraction on my OLED UHD 3D display and I continue to try to experience 3D illusion in only its director-intended form.
I use 2D to 3D mode not so much as to try to get 3D effect out of it but as a means to "polish up" PQ...PQ seems to have gain a glossier/slicker look when in 3D mode.
I even tried it on some lower quality, highly compressed streaming content and there too I notice taht a lot of artifacts typical of streaming content were lower. Almost as if the 3D effect had a "smoothing"effect on visual artifacts
Old 08-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #1078
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Since when did Netflix drop 3D titles? Last night I went to check the 3D title list and they were all in 2D . I contacted customer support and they told me that Netflix no longer offers 3D
Old 08-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #1079
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2011
The Citadel

Quote:
Since when did Netflix drop 3D titles? Last night I went to check the 3D title list and they were all in 2D . I contacted customer support and they told me that Netflix no longer offers 3D
Count yourself lucky you had them at all. We never got the luxury here in the UK!
"Still in all, every night we does the tell, so that we 'member who we was and where we came from... but most of all we 'members the man that finded us, him that came the salvage. And we lights the city, not just for him, but for all of them that are still out there. 'Cause we knows there come a night, when they sees the distant light, and they'll be comin' home."
Old 08-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #1080
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Low blow Netflix, low blow
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies