New: Black Friday Deals Week has started! Check out the Blu-ray Deals page » ×

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Now: Adventures of Captain Marvel $13.23 (13% claimed)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Logan 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
Wonder Woman (Blu-ray)
$9.00
Spider-Man: Homecoming (Blu-ray)
$9.00
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Baby Driver (Blu-ray)
$9.00
The Hateful Eight (Blu-ray)
$3.99
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$4.00
Life (Blu-ray)
$6.00
Brooklyn (Blu-ray)
$4.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Texas
Default The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) Blu-ray 5/29/2012 Pre-order

Strange Love of Martha Ivers Blu-ray

Film Chest is bringing Paramount Pictures 'The Strange Love of Martha Ivers' (1946) to Blu-ray starring the great Barbara Stanwyck and Van Heflin ('Possessed') (1947).

This is awesome news. I used to have the Paramount DVD years ago but sold it in a DVD lot several years ago on eBay and now it's OOP. Hopefully this Film Chest release will be good like the Paramount DVD was. If I remember correctly, the transfer was very good.

Just pre-ordered! Can't wait!

Hopefully Film Chest will release 'Sorry, Wrong Number' (1944) also starring Barbara Stanwyck and also starring Burt Lancaster. Great classic noir.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 01-04-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #2

Sep 2009

I've never even heard of this film but I'm a fan of Stanwyck and film noir, so I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks for posting!

By the way, I agree whole heartedly about Sorry, Wrong Number. Hopefully also they will release Witness to Murder - which I don't believe was ever released on DVD.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Texas

I've never seen 'Witness to Murder'. I'll have to check that one out. But yes, you will love 'The Strange Love of Martha Ivers'.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #4

Jun 2010
The Cosmos Cotillion

Thanks BluPat! I pre-ordered as well!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #5

Jun 2011
London: England.

Strange love is a great noir, sadly film chest released The Stranger and Kansas City Confidential on blu and neither was great Strange love is now a public domain title I'm afraid and paramount have the only decent print I've seen, so my hopes are not high..
Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #6

Jun 2008

Prior to its aforementioned Paramount dvd release, this excellent movie was the victim of many poor releases because it was a public domain title. I would need to know more about this blu-ray's origins before considering a purchase. Sorry, Wrong Number is owned by Paramount and has a good dvd transfer. Witness To Murder, an excellent suspense thriller, was a United Artists release and has never been released on video. I hope that it may be eventually released either by Warners Archive or MGM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Texas

I hope by some SLIM chance Film Chest and Paramount may have came to some arrangement for their (Paramount)'s transfer. I doubt it but stranger things have happened. At first reading, I thought this was coming out from Legend Films...the company that has been releasing Paramount titles (i.e., The Skull, The Man Who Could Cheat Death, etc.) hence me thinking they could nab Paramount's copy but, apparently Legend and Film Chest are 2 completely different entities.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Samourai View Post
Strange love is a great noir, sadly film chest released The Stranger and Kansas City Confidential on blu and neither was great Strange love is now a public domain title I'm afraid and paramount have the only decent print I've seen, so my hopes are not high..
Exactly. I'm hopeful, but I won't be preordering. Waiting for reviews (and comparisons to the existing Paramount DVD) first.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Chicago

2012 is definitely looking like a very strong catalog year.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2009
USA

Nice. An excellent noir.

Why is there no mention of Kirk Douglas being in this film?
Old 12-29-2011, 04:44 AM   #11

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellOilJunior View Post
Nice. An excellent noir.

Why is there no mention of Kirk Douglas being in this film?
It was his film debut.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #12

Dec 2011
Earth

Looks like I'll be holding on to the OOP DVD until reviews on the transfer surface.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #13

Jul 2009
-
-

Paramount doesn't own the rights to this movie anymore, they just own the best source elements for it, as their dvd release proved. If you love this movie or just want to give it a chance, that's the dvd edition to go. Forget all the rest, they are garbage derived from public-domain sources. As this blu-ray will be.

To anyone here hoping for a Paramount/Film chestnut agreement, forget it. Anyone hoping for decent image quality, forget it. I'm just speculating but this is my bet.

"Sorry wrong number" is owned by Paramount, so they would have to release it, not Film Chest. Olive Films could also release it, since they've been licencing many titles from Paramount for about a year. Legend only released a couple of them and stopped long ago.

Olive Films started with "Crack in the world", and then "Sands of the Kalahari", and next February they're releasing 6 (!) Paramount titles, some of them interesting. Check it out here on blu-ray.com
Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
Expert Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaguir View Post
Forget all the rest, they are garbage derived from public-domain sources. As this blu-ray will be.

Anyone hoping for decent image quality, forget it.
I have both The Stranger and Kansas City Confidential on blu and while neither will be mistaken for criterion quality blu rays, they still look pretty good (at least 'decent' IMO). If this release is on par with the previous films I'll be picking it up.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty23 View Post
I have both The Stranger and Kansas City Confidential on blu and while neither will be mistaken for criterion quality blu rays, they still look pretty good (at least 'decent' IMO). If this release is on par with the previous films I'll be picking it up.
Yea unless Paramount decides to put it out which I doubt, I'm leaving my pre-order with Amazon for this and 'The Red House'.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty23 View Post
"Decent" in this case means inferior to the MGM DVDs. I know The Stranger DVD is out-of-print, so I can understand that one. But KCC is readily available brand-new for less than 4 bucks...
Old 01-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #17

Sep 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPat View Post
Yea unless Paramount decides to put it out which I doubt, I'm leaving my pre-order with Amazon for this and 'The Red House'.
Every DVD of The Red House seems to be appalling. I've seen a few of them which all seem to be from the same poor print (all have the same print damage). I certainly hope the BD isn't from the same source.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #18

Jul 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post
"Decent" in this case means inferior to the MGM DVDs. I know The Stranger DVD is out-of-print, so I can understand that one. But KCC is readily available brand-new for less than 4 bucks...
That's what I meant. The MGM dvd-s of those two movies look better than the blu-rays by this company. At least according to the DVDBeaver screencaps. So I can't really support those releases. And "The strange love of Martha Ivers" and "Red house" will probably look the same: contrast boosted way up high, and DNRed to hell and back. I wouldn't hold high hopes for any of them. Just saying.
It's true that a Paramount blu-ray release is unlikely. But their dvd (which I own) should look better than this. Maybe Olive Fims could licence it. You never know these days.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

I have the Paramount dvd of this and have very little faith for a decent bd from Film Chest given their track record. although if they would just lay off the dnr they could possibly end up with a decent release.
what's sad is that these are exactly the types of lesser know films that I really want to see get released in proper versions on blu-ray.
film noir is my favorite film genre and always will be.

Last edited by Arkadin; 01-11-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

I am reviewing the Kirk Douglas Collection DVD over at DVDTalk, and the first film in the set is The Strange Love of Martha Ivers. The packaging does not say "Film Chest" anywhere on it, so hopefully it's not worth worrying about, but the transfer in this set is not only watermarked with a Hollywood Choice Video bug and seemingly cropped, but features a remarkable "echoing" soundtrack that plays every line twice, the second much louder and delayed by a half-second.
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America