Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (After You've Seen It!)
One Star 1 2.22%
Two Stars 5 11.11%
Three Stars 16 35.56%
Four Stars 22 48.89%
Five Stars 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #121
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Redding, CA

How was the post converted 3D. I'm just curious.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #122
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
Yes, my entire posting history was building to my insidious, studio purchased positive review of Jack the Giant Slayer. Long con, baby.
Well, then, was it somebody ELSE'S sickeningly gushy, studio-desperate flop-sweat Warner last-ditch press-statement "review" you were posting?
"David Mannings"'s, perhaps? (No, wait, he worked for Sony.)

Without a tag, sounded like it was yours, and you'd never been that, well, square before.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #123

Jan 2013
Canada

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...iantkiller.htm

Flop much.
I own 1,170 Movies
Blu-ray Releases
The Lego Movie - June 17
Divergent - Aug 5th
The Walking Dead S4 - August 26
Captain America: Winter Soldier - Sept ??
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #124
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
NYC

Same deal with John Carter: above average - good movies that were poorly marketed and over budgeted

The audience is just not there to make up for the 200-300m budgets
Old 03-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #125
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2009

Made $2.5M yesterday which is about a 70% drop. Ouch. 2013 is completely oppposite of last year when there was hit after hit.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 AM   #126
Expert Member

Jul 2011

I saw this last night with a friend and she absolutely loved it and thought the special effects were amazing. I enjoyed it, but thought it was just an ok movie with mostly decent special effects. The giants for the most part are poorly done, but the rest of the special effects were done alright. The film's tone and look a lie somewhere between Mirrir, Mirror and Snow White and the Hunstman with special effects somewhere between Journey 2 and Journey 1. Still glad I saw it though. The final battle really is spectacular. I saw it in 2D.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #127
Banned

Aug 2011

-63.2% drop second weekend.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #128
Blu-ray Count

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieKing101 View Post
Sigh of relief
Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #129
Expert Member

Feb 2008
North Canton, Ohio

watched this in 3D today and I loved it. I can't believe how bad it's bombing, I for one cannot wait to own this on 3D Blu-Ray. Truly stunned this is failing but then again, I loved Cloud Atlas (possibly my favorite movie of last year) and that thing tanked as well.
My Set-Up: Epson 5020UB Full 3D Projector on a 120" screen and 7.1 Earthquake surround sound Complete with Outlaw Audio Pre-Amp and Amp.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #130
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Took the family to this (2D version) on a whim tonight. Gotta say, I wasn't impressed. I usually love this type of movie. Jack seemed miscast to me. Wouldn't have minded if a giant ate him. I'll give it another go when it comes out on blu.
When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #131

Feb 2012
Canada

Saw this with my husband and 8 year old daughter. We had to find a movie she could watch in 2D because 3D gives her a bad headache.

It was better than I thought it would be. My daughter LOVED it so I guess that 's what counts most. It was her pick for her March Break movie.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #132
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Anderson, SC

Me and my grown nephew saw it last night and it was WAY better than I anticipated. I never would have gone to see it had he just wanted to go out to waste some time. Heck, the only real reason we saw this one was because it started the earliest after I got off work.

As it is, this is really a children's flick through and through. But yeah, there are a few crazy kills that do cut away right before it happens, so it leaves a lot of awfulness to the imagination. Heck, there are a few scenes where giants bit the heads off of people and it pretty much shows it.

If you would remove a bit of the childish antics, like farts and the overly stupid antics of the second head of the main giant, and just the weird acting style of some of the characters that were flat out pandering to kids, and insert the violence that seemed to want to be there so badly and expand on some of the characters a bit more and just overall make it a little more "adult" and you would have a pretty cool dark twist to this tale.

There were two scenes that really stood out to me...

[Show spoiler]-When the giants make it to down below here on the surface, and the king and his men are on their way to the castle unknowing that the giants are coming. Jack is running towards the king and his men screaming the giants are coming and there is an edge of a forest behind them and out of nowhere the trees explode with the giants rushing towards them from behind. I thought that was really well done.

-I also loved when Jack tossed the last bean down the throat of the main giant and he literally EXPLODED. It was actually a pretty disturbing sight, and I was actually shocked that it was even shown as it was in the flick. He swallowed the bean and started to choke, and the stalk just started shooting out of his head and torso popping his eyes and everything out and then pretty much severing his entire body with the parts landing everywhere.

The entire storming of the castle though was pretty well done for the most part.

Part of the problem is not knowing what to expect when you watch it. It wants to be both a very kiddy children's movie but also a violent adult film at the same time, and there is very little middle ground. Something like the Toy Story flicks walks that line much better, but then again you can't really compare the two since Toy Story and things like that are in an entirely different class of film. You know what I mean though.

I'd give it a rating of something along the lines of a 6 or 6.5 out of 10 or so.

I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than Superman Returns, but that may say more about my hatred of that flick than my enjoyment of Jack the Giant Slayer. I'm not sure on that one. I'll put it another way - if there was a sequel (which isn't likely at all, at least not now) then I would go watch it.

Last edited by Brent L.; 03-20-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #133

Nov 2011

I thought it was a lot of fun. A solid 7 out of 10. It's a shame such fine film is a flop, while similarly-themed, but totally mediocre effort like Snow White and the Huntsman was a hit last year.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #134

Oct 2011
Italy

Saw the movie today.
I didn't expect a masterpiece, but I didn't expect either such an artless and careless product.

The opening starts with the right idea: a prologue, which usually allows some artistic and brilliant presentation of the events. In this case the execution is horrible, with one of the worst use of CGI ever. The sequence is ridicolous even if compared to one from a Nintendo64 videogame. The CGI on the rest of the movie isn't much better, like the costumes and the general artwork, dull at best.

The screenplay is all messed-up, as if it wasn't even written; and this is all reflected in the absolute defect of pacing and rhythm, senseless action, bad dialogues and empty characters: Jack is not a hero, just the luckiest of the players, while Isabelle is just a damsel in distress, even if in every line they try to convince us she's though and ready for adventure.

The only thing I can save is the cast, only because the script is so bad that the actors aren't even allowed to recite or prove their ability.

3/10
Old 04-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #135

Jun 2012
Portsmouth, UK

Wasn't much of a choice at the cinema so I picked this one and was very pleasantly surprised by how much of a good time I had watching this. Didn't check my watch at all in the 2 hour running time, which is always a good sign, and despite being a bit overly relying on the (mostly good) CGI the characters and actors keep this one rolling along nicely and it had what I felt was the occasional touch of "Princess Bride" about it... liked the ending too
Panasonic P42G15 TV - Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player - Pioneer VSX-C301S Receiver
5 * B&W VM-1 Surround speakers - B&W AS-1 Subwoofer

BD Orders/Pre-orders:
Guardians of the Galaxy (steelbook), Westworld, Sin City 2 (steelbook), Sherlock: Season 3: SE, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug Extended, Expendables III
Full DVD/BD Collection and Wishlist
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies