Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #41
Special Member

Nov 2008
Minnesota

The AIP cut is native 1080p on Arrow's disc. Don't know what gave you a different impression?
"I can't forgive myself for having lied to you. I don't have a degree in biology. Never even finished high school. I haven't read more than two books in my whole life. One, never finished. And the other is the phone book."
Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #42
Special Member

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

OK, I'm officially confused!

A number of these posts are comparing the Kino and Arrow releases . . . but Kino's version isn't out yet right? Is this just off reviews? Does anyone all ready have the Kino version?
Old 09-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #43
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriztoffer Swank View Post
Kino's Black Sabbath is probably an all right presentation, but given how badly it mucked up the colors, I simply had to get the Arrow release, one of the first Region B-locked titles I bought. This is one of my favorite films, so I absolutely had to have that colorful lighting done right, and the AIP cut was a nice bonus.

There are some comparison screenshots on this site's reviews. The Kino release just looks drab by comparison.

Kino
Arrow
While I was researching these titles, I seem to remember reading something about how Kino and Arrow both received the same source material for Black Sabbath, but that Arrow digitally touched up their transfer while Kino released their transfer as is. If I'm wrong here, then feel free to step in and correct me.

I know absolutely nothing about the color tints and such that were originally intended for the movie, but I've got no problem with owning the Kino version if they left the source material untouched, as they usually do. (Not that I've got a choice anyway, since I'm Region A, but you know what I mean.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieray1 View Post

A number of these posts are comparing the Kino and Arrow releases . . . but Kino's version isn't out yet right? Is this just off reviews? Does anyone all ready have the Kino version?
Kino has already released the original Italian versions of Black Sunday and Black Sabbath on Blu-ray, because they had the rights to those versions at the time. Kino is about to release another Blu-ray package with the American versions of both films in one set, though. I've heard good things about the American version of Black Sabbath, but, since I've never seen the film before, I'd like to see the Italian version first, because that was Bava's original intention.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #44
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieray1 View Post

Kino has already released the original Italian versions of Black Sunday and Black Sabbath on Blu-ray, because they had the rights to those versions at the time. Kino is about to release another Blu-ray package with the American versions of both films in one set, though. I've heard good things about the American version of Black Sabbath, but, since I've never seen the film before, I'd like to see the Italian version first, because that was Bava's original intention.
International Cut:

US Cut:

Old 09-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #45
Power Member

Aug 2010

The DVD version of Black Sabbath in the Bava Box had good color. The Kino version looked like it was from an old faded print. I've ordered the dual version from the UK. Hoping it looks more like the DVD.

The US and Italian versions on both these films each have their own strengths and weaknesses. With Black Sunday, the voices on the Italian version have better acting, but the music and sound effects on the US version is much better. With Black Sabbath, the Italian cut is much better for the order of the three stories and the telephone segment isn't censored. But Karloff is dubbed into Italian, which he isn't in the US version. With these films, you really need both. I've always thought that Black Sabbath would be better if the story segments were the Italian version with the Karloff segments inserted in English.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

I wasn't sure where to post this, as I couldn't find a general 'Bava on BD' thread (is there one?) but those who have been debating shelling out 260 clams for Tim Lucas' epic Bava overview All the Colors of the Dark, there are less than 100 remaining. I've been eyeing (why is this word flagged as misspelled? 'Eying' doesn't look right at all) the massive book for several years, but had always been put off by the price. When you consider the work involved and the accompanying results though - all 12 pounds of them - the tag isn't that unreasonable. However, I'm sure it'll be selling for $400 or so once the printed copies run out (digital downloads are still available), so I took the plunge yesterday.

Last edited by NoirFan; 09-07-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America