Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
23 hrs ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
11 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
23 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
2 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
20 hrs ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99
7 hrs ago
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 10-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #1

May 2007
Default Cinavia and Blu-ray players

How does cinavia affect the blu ray players that were made in feb 2012? Should this be a concern for blu ray players made after feb 2012?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredreed View Post
How does cinavia affect the blu ray players that were made in feb 2012? Should this be a concern for blu ray players made after feb 2012?
This is only an issue for consumers that attempt to playback pirated DVD’s and Blu-ray's that are encoded with the Cinavia watermark. A message pops up on the screen like the following:

“Playback stopped. The content being played is protected by Cinavia™ and is not authorized for playback on this device.
For more information, see http://www.cinavia.com.
Message Code 1.”

To read more about this new security feature offered on all new Blu-ray players then click on the following link

http://www.cinavia.com/languages/english/pages/messages.html

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 10-21-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008

So far I have found no way to bypass this its quite annoying at times
83+12 = 6 Congrats to the 2014 NFL Hall of Fame Class

2014 Detroit Tigers 90-72 AL Central Champs
2014 Detroit Red Wings 0-0
2014 Detroit Lions 3-1
2014 MSU Spartans Football 3-1 #9
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #4

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
This is only an issue for consumers that attempt to playback pirated DVD’s and Blu-ray's that are encoded with the Cinavia watermark. A message pops up on the screen like the following:

“Playback stopped. The content being played is protected by Cinavia™ and is not authorized for playback on this device.
For more information, see http://www.cinavia.com.
Message Code 1.”

To read more about this new security feature offered on all new Blu-ray players then click on the following link

http://www.cinavia.com/languages/eng.../messages.html
Not the whole story by a long shot. This Cinavia garbage also prevents consumers from playing legal copies/backups they've made. Throws "fair use" right out the window. The only party that makes out in all of this is Cinavia in the fees they collect where their technology is licensed to be used. Cinavia does nothing to prevent piracy as all anyone has to do is playback pirated Cinavia authored content in a hardware or software based player that doesn't support Cinavia and eventually as we all know their technology will be cracked anyway.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 10-23-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Suspended

Jun 2012
Banned, MI

I as well, have found this issue incredibly annoying and found no way around it either. The only upside is that for me anyways, it only seems to happen with titles issued by Columbia Pictures for the most part. "21 Jump Street", "That's My Boy", and "Rock of Ages" are ones I've encountered it on.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds1834 View Post
Not the whole story by a long shot. This Cinavia garbage also prevents consumers from playing legal copies/backups they've made. Throws "fair use" right out the window. The only party that makes out in all of this is Cinavia in the fees they collect where their technology is licensed to be used. Cinavia does nothing to prevent piracy as all anyone has to do is playback pirated Cinavia authored content in a hardware or software based player that doesn't support Cinavia and eventually as we all know their technology will be cracked anyway.
Fair use backup copies of movies are only legal if no encryption is being broken. If the movie backups are removing encryption like CSS and AACS then the backups are not legal backups since it’s illegal to break the encryption. One day in the far future all old pre 2012 Blu-ray players will break and then consumers will be forced to replace their Blu-ray players with one that has the Cinavia feature. Currently there is no way to get around the Cinavia watermark but like you mention that might change in the future.

The Blu-ray Disc Association has the ability to activate managed copy feature on some Blu-ray titles that allows consumers to make a backup copy to an authorized device. The problem is the managed copy feature is not being used by any studio as far as I am aware.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 10-24-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #7

Jul 2010
Poughkeepsie NY

Get a media player like the WD one or hook up your laptop to your tv and use vlc player
Television - 55" Samsung UN55H6350
AVR - Yamaha RX-V675 7.2
Main Speakers - Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II
Center - Polk Audio CS2 Series II
Surrounds - Polk Audio Monitor 30 Series II
Subwoofer - Bic Acoustech PL-200
PS3 Slim 160GB (Upgraded to 500GB)
PS4 (Upgraded to 2TB)
Old 10-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Since the Cinavia feature is mandatory in all the new Blu-ray players released in 2012 there is a possibility that there might be a secret unadvertised feature that occurs when the Blu-ray player is connected to the Internet.

With a firmware update it would be possible to have internet connected Blu-ray players notify an anti-piracy law enforcement group the IP address and serial number of the Blu-ray player that was used to play the pirated DVD or Blu-ray disc (unauthorized optical disc copy). From the IP address and serial number of the Blu-ray player then the anti-piracy law enforcement group would be able to locate the physical location where the pirated movie was attempted to be played and who the original owner of the Blu-ray player is.

As far as I know the Cinavia feature does not have this feature yet, but even if they did it would not be something one would advertise. One could place an Ethernet data sniffer on their Blu-ray player to see if a website is contacted when the Cinavia message pops up on the screen to see if the feature does exist.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #9

Apr 2009
SF Bay Area, USA

Quote:
Since the Cinavia feature is mandatory in all the new Blu-ray players released in 2012 there is a possibility that there might be a secret unadvertised feature that occurs when the Blu-ray player is connected to the Internet.

With a firmware update it would be possible to have internet connected Blu-ray players notify an anti-piracy law enforcement group the IP address and serial number of the Blu-ray player that was used to play the pirated DVD or Blu-ray disc (unauthorized optical disc copy). From the IP address and serial number of the Blu-ray player then the anti-piracy law enforcement group would be able to locate the physical location where the pirated movie was attempted to be played and who the original owner of the Blu-ray player is.

As far as I know the Cinavia feature does not have this feature yet, but even if they did it would not be something one would advertise. One could place an Ethernet data sniffer on their Blu-ray player to see if a website is contacted when the Cinavia message pops up on the screen to see if the feature does exist.
And what law is it that you think states what can or cannot be played on our personal optical media playing equipment in the privacy of our homes? There ARE a number of laws that discuss the expectation of privacy a citizen has in the privacy of their own homes, however.
The solution to cinavia is fairly simple - do not buy or severely limit purchases of equipment or titles that are infected with cinavia. My players work perfectly fine - no need for a post Feb/2012 licensed product. Cinavia infected titles are strictly rentals, unless it is a title I want in my collection very badly. There is no logic for any movie studio to waste their money on cinavia unless it increases retail sales of the title significantly. What are the chances of that? Nil. That is why most of the studios rarely if ever bother with cinavia - most of them are apparently smarter than Sony Studios.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:06 AM   #10
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->89 SteelBooks™--------->149 DCs------->307

I just got the audio muted while watching Company of Heroes from Netflix with this Cinavia crap. Why would this be happening while watching a legit BD?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:26 AM   #11
Expert Member

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Fair use backup copies of movies are only legal if no encryption is being broken. If the movie backups are removing encryption like CSS and AACS then the backups are not legal backups since it’s illegal to break the encryption. One day in the far future all old pre 2012 Blu-ray players will break and then consumers will be forced to replace their Blu-ray players with one that has the Cinavia feature. Currently there is no way to get around the Cinavia watermark but like you mention that might change in the future.

The Blu-ray Disc Association has the ability to activate managed copy feature on some Blu-ray titles that allows consumers to make a backup copy to an authorized device. The problem is the managed copy feature is not being used by any studio as far as I am aware.
I highly doubt that. It's like that many if not most of the 2011 players will outlive the format's practical lifespan. Especially if you have a high end player like an Oppo. By the time that breaks down, if it ever does while I'm still around, I'll have moved on to something else. Lots of laserdisc players still working today but who cares? Two formats have superceded it.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:30 AM   #12
Expert Member

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I just got the audio muted while watching Company of Heroes from Netflix with this Cinavia crap. Why would this be happening while watching a legit BD?
Screw that. I'm going to stick with my Oppo 93 and 95 and enjoy Cinavia-free playback into the distant future.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->89 SteelBooks™--------->149 DCs------->307

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Sounds like false positives being triggered.

(ie. Their design is not foolproof).
Yeah, I am using my Sony PC drive. It happened with Looper too. Cutting off AnyDVD fixed it both times though. My dad had it happen with Looper though on his PS3. This Cinavia seems to be pure BS.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:

And if they did that, there would be an incredible class action lawsuit that could possible result in a court decision banning the use of anti-copying techniques on disc. The fact is that it's a moot point - there are thousands of streaming sites with illegal copies of movies. Why go after an individual with one illegal copy that's watched by one person instead of going after the tech companies that permit file sharing that thousands (or even millions) of people use.

Furthermore, while they might get away for a short while with such a scheme in the United States, it would NEVER pass muster in Europe, which has much stricter privacy policies.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #15

Apr 2009
SF Bay Area, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames. View Post
Screw that. I'm going to stick with my Oppo 93 and 95 and enjoy Cinavia-free playback into the distant future.
Yep - I agree (only for me it is with a couple of Sony BDP-S1000ESs).
Old 03-22-2013, 04:38 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Cinavia can be bypassed easily if you have a PS3.
PSN ID: Corleone3142

"My father taught me many things ... keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."
Michael Corleone to Pentangeli - (The Godfather 2)
Old 12-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #17

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
And what law is it that you think states what can or cannot be played on our personal optical media playing equipment in the privacy of our homes? There ARE a number of laws that discuss the expectation of privacy a citizen has in the privacy of their own homes, however.
The solution to cinavia is fairly simple - do not buy or severely limit purchases of equipment or titles that are infected with cinavia. My players work perfectly fine - no need for a post Feb/2012 licensed product. Cinavia infected titles are strictly rentals, unless it is a title I want in my collection very badly. There is no logic for any movie studio to waste their money on cinavia unless it increases retail sales of the title significantly. What are the chances of that? Nil. That is why most of the studios rarely if ever bother with cinavia - most of them are apparently smarter than Sony Studios.
I understand this is an older submission, but Cinavia is growing to a point that almost every movie has it, or will have it soon. Older players will always play DVD's but the formats keep changing on the Blu-ray players and eventually everyone will have to buy a Cinavia protected player to watch the new movies. This new formatting is an injustice to all movie buyers, it makes you buy a new machine every couple of years, just to keep up with them. Hopes are high for the software Geeks to accomplish their goals of busting Cinavia for good. In the meantime I just keep buying DVD's that I can backup and save my disc from scratches, because the older machines don't recognise Cinavia, and DVD formats have not changed in many years.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
Expert Member

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzetc View Post
I understand this is an older submission, but Cinavia is growing to a point that almost every movie has it, or will have it soon. Older players will always play DVD's but the formats keep changing on the Blu-ray players and eventually everyone will have to buy a Cinavia protected player to watch the new movies. This new formatting is an injustice to all movie buyers, it makes you buy a new machine every couple of years, just to keep up with them. Hopes are high for the software Geeks to accomplish their goals of busting Cinavia for good. In the meantime I just keep buying DVD's that I can backup and save my disc from scratches, because the older machines don't recognise Cinavia, and DVD formats have not changed in many years.
Not on my Civavia-free Oppo 93 ISO player. I'll just strip the impeding DRM and just play the ISO instead. It's a one click process, couldn't be easier. There's nothing my player won't play as long as it's Blu-ray or DVD. Ever.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders