Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.95
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$54.49
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingsman: The Secret Service (Blu-ray)
$35.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Society (Blu-ray)
$25.29
Justified: The Complete Final Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$109.99
The Cat Returns (Blu-ray)
$25.89
The Killers (Blu-ray)
$35.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 03-25-2015, 05:40 AM   #1861

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimforsilence View Post
I'm hoping disney releases Yamadas with Cat Returns and Spirited Away still. Maybe when they announce an official release date they'll also through in the Yamadas as well. I just want my Ghibli collection to be complete (until the next NEW film comes out that is).
But your collection will never be complete without Only Yesterday & Ocean Waves. Maybe I'm being hopeful but I think Disney might be saving Yamadas to release with Only Yesterday.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:41 AM   #1862

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnikslacker View Post
not to sidetrack things here...but when did we gain the ability to use animated gifs for icons?
Been like that for a long time. Just no one uses them.
I was looking for one that would fit the size limit and always liked this one.
I'm sure admin will remove it if it gets outta hand and there are any reports for inappropriate ones. But yeah most people just never tried I guess so that is why we don't see them in use. Although now...
My collection click HT Gallery to view them.
My WTB's HERE
Served in the Military and like blu's come talk about it HERE

*Alert!!!* Best Buy Will Be Changing And Shrinking Their Media Section Soon!!!

Click HERE for more details.

Site FAQ
Old 03-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #1863
Power Member

May 2014
The Idyllic Amish Farmlands of Lancaster County, PA

No one uses them because they're irritating as heck, mainly... same goes for those huge signature pics...
Girls with Guns Avatar: Mireille and Kirika from Noir
Old 03-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #1864

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
No one uses them because they're irritating as heck, mainly... same goes for those huge signature pics...
hehe

Yes those are always bad.

Could have been worse.

My collection click HT Gallery to view them.
My WTB's HERE
Served in the Military and like blu's come talk about it HERE

*Alert!!!* Best Buy Will Be Changing And Shrinking Their Media Section Soon!!!

Click HERE for more details.

Site FAQ

Last edited by neoz; 03-25-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #1865
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
ND, USA
Default Studio Ghibli Collection Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Tajomaru View Post
But your collection will never be complete without Only Yesterday & Ocean Waves. Maybe I'm being hopeful but I think Disney might be saving Yamadas to release with Only Yesterday.

Only Yesterday is the only Ghibli film (other than Kaguya) that has received a JP BD release but has yet to receive a UK/AU BD release.

I wonder if Ghibli asked StudioCanal UK (and Madmen) to hold off on the release as it's possible Studio Ghibli could produce a English dub for the film (since Ghibli has been producing its own dubs recently). It would only make sense to produce a English dub if Disney (or GKids if Disney's rights to Only Yesterday have lapsed) is willing to release it in the US.

Still, chances are slim of a U.S. Release. I agree that if Yamadas doesn't get released with Spirited Away and The Cat Returns, it has no chance of a standalone release and release after the next wave only makes sense if Only Yesterday is included.

Would love to see the Ghiblis part 2 short on the upcoming U.S. Release of The Cat Returns, but it wasn't on the UK release or any other international releases outside of Japan (which has it with English subs).
Old 03-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #1866

Feb 2015
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic24 View Post
I don't know if it was posted but this is going to have a release date of June 16 according to a Disney rep who offered the purchase to me when calling DMC.

Posted in the general Spirited Away thread
Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #1867

Mar 2015

Hi all, made an account specifically to gather opinions on Ghibli blu rays and this thread seamed like a great place to ask. So, I only own mononoke on DVD and I've been waiting for spirited away to release on blu ray to start buying the blurays. I've read the comparison thread and am quite aware of the various advantage of the editions. Thus here is my question: Should I buy the Disney blurays individually or import the cool looking Australian Miyazaki Collection (which amounts to 300$ in Canadian dollars). However that implies the trouble of finding or modding a player to be region B of multi-region. What are your thoughts?

Edit: Forgot to mention, since I am from Quebec, I sadly can't take advantage of the Disney Movie Club, which would indeed have been the best option. Thanks for answering!

Last edited by carl.larose; 03-30-2015 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Precisions on my geopolitical realities
Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 PM   #1868
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.larose View Post
Hi all, made an account specifically to gather opinions on Ghibli blu rays and this thread seamed like a great place to ask. So, I only own mononoke on DVD and I've been waiting for spirited away to release on blu ray to start buying the blurays. I've read the comparison thread and am quite aware of the various advantage of the editions. Thus here is my question: Should I buy the Disney blurays individually or import the cool looking Australian Miyazaki Collection (which amounts to 300$ in Canadian dollars). However that implies the trouble of finding or modding a player to be region B of multi-region. What are your thoughts?
If you don't mind some titles with dubtitles then the us releases are fine. If that's a problem, then I'd suggest the HK or Taiwanese releases, which are Region A friendly and more affordable.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #1869
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Covington, KY PSN/NNID:varmintx

Quote:
Since you haven't bought any of them, you should probably do this. I'm going to guess most people will tell you to spend a lot more money to import though.
In 2007, I bought a PS3 for 4 specific titles; in 2̶0̶1̶4̶ 2015, half of them haven't been released yet.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:53 PM   #1870
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintx View Post
Since you haven't bought any of them, you should probably do this. I'm going to guess most people will tell you to spend a lot more money to import though.
He appears to be Canadian, so this thread would be for him. I agree, the DMC is the best option if you want the Disney Ghiblis

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=5455914
Thanks given by:
varmintx (03-31-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 07:53 PM   #1871
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
ND, USA

Quote:

Since you indicated you are from Canada, here's the Disney Movie Club Canada thread (the previous post had the U.S. Club).

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=186786

I would still recommend the U.S./Canada releases despite the dubtitles issues on a few of the titles. If you don't care about the dubs and want literal subs, import the TW releases.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:24 PM   #1872
Special Member

Nov 2009
KY

does anyone have a list? I know I don't have all of them.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:24 PM   #1873

Nov 2014
Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtempo View Post
does anyone have a list? I know I don't have all of them.
Green indicates there is a US BD release or one has been announced, red indicates there is not. Pre-Ghibli films are films that had direct involvement from either Takahata or Miyazaki prior to founding Studio Ghibli.

STUDIO GHIBLI
01 -- Castle in the Sky (1986) (Miyazaki)
02 -- Grave of the Fireflies (1988) (Takahata)
03 -- My Neighbor Totoro (1988) (Miyazaki)
04 -- Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) (Miyazaki)

05 -- Only Yesterday (1991) (Takahata)
06 -- Porco Rosso (1992) (Miyazaki)
07 -- Ocean Waves (1993) (Mochizuki)
08 -- Pom Poko (1994) (Takahata)
09 -- Whisper of the Heart (1995) (Kondo)
10 -- Princess Mononoke (1997) (Miyazaki)

11 -- My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999) (Takahata)
12 -- Spirited Away (2001) (Miyazaki)
13 -- The Cat Returns (2002) (Morita)
14 -- Howl's Moving Castle (2004) (Miyazaki)
15 -- Tales from Earthsea (2006) (G. Miyazaki)
16 -- Ponyo (2008) (Miyazaki)
17 -- The Secret World of Arrietty (2010) (Yonebayashi)
18 -- From Up on Poppy Hill (2011) (G. Miyazaki)
19 -- The Wind Rises (2013) (Miyazaki)
20 -- The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013) (Takahata)

21 -- When Marnie Was There (2014) (Yonebayashi)

PRE-GHIBLI
01 -- The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon (1963) (Serikawa)
02 -- Gulliver's Travels Beyond the Moon (1965) (Kuroda)
03 -- The Great Adventure of Horus, Prince of the Sun (1968) (Takahata)
04 -- The Wonderful World of Puss 'n Boots (1969) (Yabuki)
05 -- Animal Treasure Island (1971) (Ikeda)
06 -- The Three Musketeers in Boots (1972) (Katsumata)
07 -- Panda! Go, Panda! (1972) (Takahata)
08 -- Panda! Go, Panda! The Rainy Day Circus (1973) (Takahata)
09 -- Puss 'n Boots Travels Around the World (1976) (Shidara)
10 -- Taro, the Dragon Boy (1979) (Urayama)

11 -- Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979) (Miyazaki)
12 -- Jarinko Chie (1981) (Takahata)
13 -- Space Adventure Cobra (1982) (Dezaki)
14 -- Gauche the Cellist (1982) (Takahata)

15 -- Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (1984) (Miyazaki)
Thanks given by:
Jafar (04-15-2015), MifuneFan (04-12-2015), willtopower (04-02-2015), Xtempo (03-31-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #1874
Power Member

May 2014
The Idyllic Amish Farmlands of Lancaster County, PA

My 18 yr old daugther and I watched "When Marnie was There" last night together, on the big screen in my theater room - that was the second watch for me, and it won't be my last... My daughter even said it was really good. We watched the JP import release I recently got, with English subs.

I really love the beautiful story it tells, it is quite a dramatic slice of life film and not really your typical Ghibli fare, the closest comparison I guess would be with The Wind Rises, but I think I liked this one much more. It has some really gorgeous, color-saturated animation on par with the vivid colors in Howl's Moving Castle, a very neat twist at the end, and is fairly emotional. It affected me even more this second time through - I not only teared up this time but was actually on the verge of sobbing, lol...

Highly recommended. Latest trailer with English subs:

And a good review, here...

Girls with Guns Avatar: Mireille and Kirika from Noir
Old 04-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #1875
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
ND, USA

The English trailer to When Marnie Was There.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-si...ature=youtu.be
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime