Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.30
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.68
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: What you loved about the TDK Blu-ray
Shifting Picture 322 27.08%
PQ/AQ 735 61.82%
Extras/BD Live 29 2.44%
Other 103 8.66%
Voters: 1189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #7861
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fassbenderfan View Post
But it looked too much like a Michael Mann movie.
Not sure what your point is, Michael Mann has made some damn fine movies - or were you perhaps speaking of someone else?
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those who are lucky enough to be loved.

Remember, folks : it's only 40 days until Black Friday!!!

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Thanks given by:
JimDiGriz (08-31-2014), StingingVelvet (08-30-2014), tommynorcal (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #7862
Suspended

Apr 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
Holy black crush, Batman!

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=73619

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comp...3771/picture:0

I guess you didn't see Dark Knight Rises. Bruce was skinny and you could cut yourself on his cheekbones.

Snyder can't be blamed that his Batman is bigger than Nolan's Bane. He shouldn't have to scale down his Batman just because Nolan tried to pass off a slightly muscular overfed 5' 9" Tom Hardy as Bane. What Nolan put on screen was Bane in name only.
is your name vince mcmahon?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #7863

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
Not sure what your point is, Michael Mann has made some damn fine movies - or were you perhaps speaking of someone else?
I think that he meant that in the process of making things very realistic, it was straying a bit too far from the essence of Batman. Honestly, for all intents and purposes, The Dark Knight is more of a crime drama featuring Batman rather than a Batman film. It's still a great crime drama, but it did lack some of that Batman essence.

Last edited by riddlerfiddler; 08-30-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Thanks given by:
JackKnightStarman (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #7864

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlerfiddler View Post
Honestly, for all intents in purposes, The Dark Knight is more of a crime drama featuring Batman rather than a Batman film. It's still a great crime drama, but it did lack some of that Batman essence.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. I much prefer Begins.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (08-31-2014), JackKnightStarman (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #7865
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
I think that he meant that in the process of making things very realistic, it was straying a bit too far from the essence of Batman. Honestly, for all intents in purposes, The Dark Knight is more of a crime drama featuring Batman rather than a Batman film. It's still a great crime drama, but it did lack some of that Batman essence.
I don't know if Batman's comic book "essence" has ever translated into movies (Marvel kicks DC's ass big-time there). Let's forget the Adam West adventures, the TV show and movie both sucked, imho. Strangely enough, I liked the first film of each "trilogy" (and quadrilogy? ) and thought that they both went downhill from there. Batman (1989) was pretty cool, but things, for me, fell off a cliff, especially after Schumacher took over from Burton. Likewise, I thought Batman Begins was a great Batman movie, but, despite the talent and technical expertise, for me, things slowed to a crawl after that (although nothing like the Schumacher debacle). Who can say, maybe I just like origin stories more - at least as far as DC projects go.

Thanks given by:
JackKnightStarman (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #7866
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
I think that he meant that in the process of making things very realistic, it was straying a bit too far from the essence of Batman. Honestly, for all intents and purposes, The Dark Knight is more of a crime drama featuring Batman rather than a Batman film. It's still a great crime drama, but it did lack some of that Batman essence.
I don't give a crap about comic books, honestly. I like great films. The Dark Knight is a great film. It has crime film elements, superhero elements, revenge film elements, romance elements, horror elements, etc. etc. In the end it's a great film. Was Nolan (in general, not just in his Batman movies) influenced by Michael Mann a great deal? Yes, certainly. That's a good thing, because Mann is amazing.

Many comic book fans can't accept that film is a different medium. Marvel Studios is making comic books on screen as much as possible for that group and people still complain about minor changes. You're never going to please everyone.
Thanks given by:
DaveyJoe (08-30-2014), JimDiGriz (08-31-2014), Scarriere (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 12:48 AM   #7867

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I don't give a crap about comic books, honestly. I like great films. The Dark Knight is a great film. It has crime film elements, superhero elements, revenge film elements, romance elements, horror elements, etc. etc. In the end it's a great film. Was Nolan (in general, not just in his Batman movies) influenced by Michael Mann a great deal? Yes, certainly. That's a good thing, because Mann is amazing.

Many comic book fans can't accept that film is a different medium. Marvel Studios is making comic books on screen as much as possible for that group and people still complain about minor changes. You're never going to please everyone.
Whoa, calm down. I said that The Dark Knight was a great film. I only said that it lacked the spirit of Batman. That doesn't diminish the quality of the film though. As someone who doesn't like comic books, it's understandable that you wouldn't understand that particular complaint. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a good example of a great film that still retains the spirit and essence of the character. The same goes for The Avengers.
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 02:21 AM   #7868
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Whoa, calm down. I said that The Dark Knight was a great film. I only said that it lacked the spirit of Batman. That doesn't diminish the quality of the film though. As someone who doesn't like comic books, it's understandable that you wouldn't understand that particular complaint. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a good example of a great film that still retains the spirit and essence of the character. The same goes for The Avengers.
I wasn't yelling at you, not sure where the "whoa" comes from.

I disliked The Avengers a great deal. Poor plotting, and endless fight at the end with too much CGI and an over-reliance on "hey look it's these characters" for me. I can understand why others like it though. Just not my style.
Thanks given by:
JimDiGriz (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 04:11 AM   #7869

Mar 2013

Quote:
I wasn't yelling at you, not sure where the "whoa" comes from.

I disliked The Avengers a great deal. Poor plotting, and endless fight at the end with too much CGI and an over-reliance on "hey look it's these characters" for me. I can understand why others like it though. Just not my style.
I will concede that as a movie, The Avengers may not have been the best example. However, the movie was an achievement when it comes to comic book movies. It showed that it is possible to do a cohesive cinematic universe using multiple properties. If anything, The Avengers is an event. The entire premise is about these iconic characters coming together and learning to work well together. It was always going to be "hey look it's these characters" because that is what the entire basis of The Avengers is.

As for the amount of CGI, and I know you personally don't like CGI unless used sparingly, for that particular climax, the only way to do a lot of it and make it look good is CGI. You can't do a flying Thor or Iron Man without CGI. You can't do a good Hulk without CGI. You can't do an extremely nimble alien army without CGI. You can't do gigantic space worms without CGI. You can't do Hulk wrecking those aliens and space worms without CGI. Personally, I like it when practical effects are used as much as they can be. However, there does become a point where, to get the look and feel you want, you have to resort to CGI. Nolan himself saw this when it came to Two-Face and some of The Bat sequences.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:39 AM   #7870
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
I will concede that as a movie, The Avengers may not have been the best example. However, the movie was an achievement when it comes to comic book movies. It showed that it is possible to do a cohesive cinematic universe using multiple properties. If anything, The Avengers is an event. The entire premise is about these iconic characters coming together and learning to work well together. It was always going to be "hey look it's these characters" because that is what the entire basis of The Avengers is.

As for the amount of CGI, and I know you personally don't like CGI unless used sparingly, for that particular climax, the only way to do a lot of it and make it look good is CGI. You can't do a flying Thor or Iron Man without CGI. You can't do a good Hulk without CGI. You can't do an extremely nimble alien army without CGI. You can't do gigantic space worms without CGI. You can't do Hulk wrecking those aliens and space worms without CGI. Personally, I like it when practical effects are used as much as they can be. However, there does become a point where, to get the look and feel you want, you have to resort to CGI. Nolan himself saw this when it came to Two-Face and some of The Bat sequences.
None of what you're saying is wrong. If I watched the MCU movies in order as they come it would probably be easier for me to see The Avengers more as a climax than a standalone film. I think that's probably how it works best, the climax of Phase One. I'll review it in that light someday.

As for CGI, it's not that I dislike it, more that I need it to be balanced. An hour of it in a row is not balanced enough for me. More shots of real people doing real things within that fight would have made it ten times better for me, even if the grander stuff still had to be CGI. Or perhaps splitting the fight into two, with practical stuff between. Something like that.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:41 AM   #7871

Aug 2008
San FranJose

I'll take any Marvel phase one or two films over Nolan's non-Batman sequels. Snyder's MOS is better too.
JackKnight_Starman Profiler List
Mitsubishi WD65835 65" DLP RPTV
Oppo BDP-93
Onkyo TX-SR609 A/V Reciever

" You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you need to concentrate on." President George W. Bush, 2001
Old 08-31-2014, 05:19 AM   #7872
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommynorcal View Post
is your name vince mcmahon?
Not sure what he has to do with anything in that post.

Quote:
I can't believe so many of you still have problems grasping the "as realistic as possible Batman" that Nolan was going for. It wasn't supposed to look like the comic book.
No Ive grasped that since 2005. You know that people are taller and bigger than Tom Hardy right? Bane could have been much bigger and still been realistic.

And about the whole "realism" thing. Do I need to remind you of the water vaporizer that can vaporize water in underground pipes but not in the human bodies standing right beside it? Or Bruce and Rachel free falling onto a cab from an upper floor of a sky scrapper? Or Bruce surviving multiple hundred foot drops with a rope around his waste that should have snapped his back? Or Bruce having a "dislocated vertebrate" punched back into place? Or a hundred other fantastical events and things in the films.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy a lot of what Nolan did and Batman Begins is my favorite Batman film, but the whole thing of trying to explain away Nolan's every decision by saying "He was going for realism" doesn't work. These films are choked full of fantasy. Nolan played fast and loose with "realism". So the argument that Bane couldn't have some strength augmenting supplement or be larger because it's not realistic doesn't work for me. Especially considering that in TDKR a nuke blows up 6 miles off the city coast and not so much as butterfly in that city is affected by it. Bane having a strength serum would have been one of the more realistic things in that film. But that's not what Nolan wanted and that's his choice.

Last edited by Cook; 08-31-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 05:21 AM   #7873
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
No Ive grasped that since 2005. You know that people are taller and bigger than Tom Hardy right? Bane could have been much bigger and still been realistic.

And about the whole "realism" thing. Do I need to remind you of the water vaporizer that can vaporize water in underground pipes but not in the human bodies standing right beside it? Or Bruce and Rachel free falling onto a cab from an upper floor of a sky scrapper? Or Bruce surviving multiple hundred foot drops with a rope around his waste that should have snapped his back? Or Bruce having a "dislocated vertebrate" "punched back into place"? Or a hundred other fantastical events and things in the films.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy a lot of what Nolan did and Batman Begins is my favorite Batman film, but the whole thing of trying to explain away Nolan's every decision by saying "He was going for realism" doesn't work. These films are choked full of fantasy. Nolan played fast and loose with "realism". So the argument that Bane couldn't have some strength augmenting supplement because it's not realistic doesn't work for me. Especially considering that in TDKR a nuke blows up 6 miles off the city coast and not so much as butterfly in that city is affected by it. Bane having a strength scrum would have been one of the more realistic things in that film. But that's not what Nolan wanted and that's his choice.
This old chestnut. It's not about realism so far as "that could happen," it's about cinematic realism. Building a world that feels real. Nolan goes on and on about this.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #7874
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackKnightStarman View Post
I'll take any Marvel phase one or two films over Nolan's non-Batman sequels. Snyder's MOS is better too.
And Ill take any Nolan film over any boring Marvel comic book films. MOS?
Leo needs new shoes...
Old 08-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #7875

Oct 2010
Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
And Ill take any Nolan film over any boring Marvel comic book films. MOS?
I'll second that. Any Nolan film has more ambition and cinematic beauty than Marvel CGI cartoons. And I like Marvel.
Thanks given by:
JimDiGriz (09-01-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #7876

Sep 2012
House

Does the bonus disc on the last boxset with the making of the trilogy have any interview with heat legend on?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:39 PM   #7877
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Inc. View Post
Does the bonus disc on the last boxset with the making of the trilogy have any interview with heat legend on?
Heath Ledger? And, I think that would be ...

Old 09-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #7878

Sep 2012
House

No? not even interviews from on the set?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #7879
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
I don't have it, but earlier posters complained about that ... and no-one disagreed with my post, so ...

Old 09-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #7880
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Nope.
Thanks given by:
Marv Inc. (09-01-2014)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America