Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Downton Abbey: Seasons 1, 2, 3 & 4 (Blu-ray)
$39.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rush (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$13.00
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Blu-ray)
$13.49
The World's End (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Despicable Me 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Fast & Furious 6 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #561

May 2010
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidglov3s View Post
I think it's a weird dynamic where the people most likely to buy this movie either aren't aware of this and would probably not pay more than $15 for it if they were, and the people who are aware of it also probably don't feel this title is worth the $35 price, especially with an import option available for less than half the price.

Market's not good in general, but the odds were kinda stacked against this one.
I agree. I ended up purchasing a copy because this is one of my all time favorites. Sure it's not a cheap price, but then again knowing it hasn't been sold out yet from Twilight Time might also mean it won't see a future release from Sony themselves anytime in the near future.

I was thinking of getting this imported, but I didn't like the foreign title on the cover.

I think for those who truly enjoy this film, it's definitely worth a purchase. Once you get the film on hand and watch it, you'll forget about the price you paid for it.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #562
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

I would have considered getting it by now if it had the commentary.
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 03-03-2014, 07:36 AM   #563

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviecriticsonline View Post
I agree. I ended up purchasing a copy because this is one of my all time favorites. Sure it's not a cheap price, but then again knowing it hasn't been sold out yet from Twilight Time might also mean it won't see a future release from Sony themselves anytime in the near future.

I was thinking of getting this imported, but I didn't like the foreign title on the cover.

I think for those who truly enjoy this film, it's definitely worth a purchase. Once you get the film on hand and watch it, you'll forget about the price you paid for it.
Agreed. No regrets here.

Now... I wish somebody would release About Schmidt on Bluray...
Old 03-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #564
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoodles95 View Post
+1

I has been on my wish list for quite a while.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #565

May 2010
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoodles95 View Post
Agreed. No regrets here.

Hopefully soon.

Actually, I been wanting "Something's Gotta Give" too for quite some time.
It's from Sony, so I hope it won't be another Twilight Time release.

Last edited by moviecriticsonline; 03-03-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #566
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergfoster View Post
I would have considered getting it by now if it had the commentary.
No dis intended but, I used to feel that way. In recent years I've been thinking more, "How often am I gonna re-listen to even a good commentary track?" I flipped the BD and then Netflixed the DVD to listen to the (very good) commentary. Jack is a rare commentator so he made is especially worth it. Was happy to re-visit the pic in HD but IMO the absence of the commentary isn't a great reason to steer clear of the BD. Heck, you can BUY the DVD for about 25 cents these days.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #567
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
I'm surprised this film is still available on the Screen Archives website. I thought it would of been sold out by now.
IMO it's a testament to how these "deep" catalogers just don't compel folks to open their wallets to the degree that fans of the film would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidglov3s View Post
I think it's a weird dynamic where the people most likely to buy this movie either aren't aware of this and would probably not pay more than $15 for it if they were, and the people who are aware of it also probably don't feel this title is worth the $35 price, especially with an import option available for less than half the price.
Yes, great points.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #568

May 2010
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
IMO it's a testament to how these "deep" catalogers just don't compel folks to open their wallets to the degree that fans of the film would think.

Yes, great points.
Well said. I bet if this film was selling for around 20 bucks or had some decent special features it would of been sold out long ago.

It's very understandable that fans don't wanna spend 30+ dollars for a barebones catalog movie. I wasn't thrilled about the price too, but then again films like this don't come around too often, and it's nice to own a great film as this on Blu-ray.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #569
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Well said. I bet if this film was selling for around 20 bucks or had some decent special features it would of been sold out long ago.
Thanks for the compliment on what I said. But you then proceed to say some things which I did not say with which I don't agree. The price issue has been debated to death in the TT thread. We can speculate all we like but the studio, at least per Nick Redman, has made it clear that it doesn't pencil out for them to release these catalog titles at lower prices. So the idea that that they would sell more if priced less (. . . and released by the studio proper . . . with a bigger marketing spend . . .) is something of a moot point; mooted by the fact that the studio isn't releasing them directly because it's not financially feasible according to their own calculus.

And if we understand the foregoing, then it follows why the studio is not going to spend money to create new supplements for a deep catalog title with little to no cult appeal. I found the commentary more than "decent" (and its exclusion from the BD again likely comes down to money issues). Again, the DVD is so cheap I've reached a point wherein I feel it's almost not worth complaining about it's absence on the BD any more.

Quote:
It's very understandable that fans don't wanna spend 30+ dollars for a barebones catalog movie.
TT's own sales record proves that this isn't quite accurate. Folks/fans ARE willing to spend 30-plus dollars on (movie-only) catalogers, they just tend to be more cult/horror/genre titles.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 03-04-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #570

May 2010
-

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment on what I said. But you then proceed to say some things which I did not say with which I don't agree. The price issue has been debated to death in the TT thread. We can speculate all we like but the studio, at least per Nick Redman, has made it clear that it doesn't pencil out for them to release these catalog titles at lower prices. So the idea that that they would sell more if priced less (. . . and released by the studio proper . . . with a bigger marketing spend . . .) is something of a moot point; mooted by the fact that the studio isn't releasing them directly because it's not financially feasible according to their own calculus.

And if we understand the foregoing, then it follows why the studio is not going to spend money to create new supplements for a deep catalog title with little to no cult appeal. I found the commentary more than "decent" (and its exclusion from the BD again likely comes down to money issues). Again, the DVD is so cheap I've reached a point wherein I feel it's almost not worth complaining about it's absence on the BD any more.

TT's own sales record proves that this isn't quite accurate. Folks/fans ARE willing to spend 30-plus dollars on (movie-only) catalogers, they just tend to be more cult/horror/genre titles.
I can begin to say whatever I wanna say, it's a freedom of speech. If you don't like it, well then tough luck. Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean I can't have mine.

Big deal, the movie is selling for 30+ dollars. Don't like the price? Well then, don't buy it. It's as simple as that.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #571
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
I can begin to say whatever I wanna say, it's a freedom of speech. If you don't like it, well then tough luck. Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean I can't have mine.

Big deal, the movie is selling for 30+ dollars. Don't like the price? Well then, don't buy it. It's as simple as that.
What a perfect exemplar of how ridiculous so much online "discourse" has become.

The hostility and dismissiveness is unnecessary and counterproductive. I'm not taking issue with your exercise of "freedom of speech." Nor did I say you can't have your own opinion. I am, however, saying that although we can have our own opinions we can't have our own facts. And some of what you opined ("I bet . . .")--right on the heels of seemingly intimating it was something I would agree with ("Well said.")--is not factual per the founder of the company releasing these discs. That is (hopefully) all.

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."
Old 03-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #572

May 2010
-

Quote:
What a perfect exemplar of how ridiculous so much online "discourse" has become.

The hostility and dismissiveness is unnecessary and counterproductive. I'm not taking issue with your exercise of "freedom of speech." Nor did I say you can't have your own opinion. I am, however, saying that although we can have our own opinions we can't have our own facts. And some of what you opined ("I bet . . .")--right on the heels of seemingly intimating it was something I would agree with ("Well said.")--is not factual per the founder of the company releasing these discs. That is (hopefully) all.

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."
It's people like you that make these threads "toxic". Trolling on other peoples opinion doesn't make you a better person, especially hiding behind a computer while doing so.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #573
Expert Member

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

I kind of on the fence with this. It's too bad it doesn't have the commentary, but if it's gonna to sell out without getting a future release anywhere on Blu-ray, then I'm inclined to get it regardless. However I doubt the latter is true, and even should it sell out, that we'll see it on Blu-ray again at some point because it's too high profile a release (even if it's not a cult/genre title). Germany in particular releases a lot of catalog that doesn't make the cut in the U.S. (Although this one may be too "domestic" for their tastes). If that happens then I would hope the commentary track is included.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #574
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames. View Post
I kind of on the fence with this. It's too bad it doesn't have the commentary, but if it's gonna to sell out without getting a future release anywhere on Blu-ray, then I'm inclined to get it regardless. However I doubt the latter is true, and even should it sell out, that we'll see it on Blu-ray again at some point because it's too high profile a release (even if it's not a cult/genre title). Germany in particular releases a lot of catalog that doesn't make the cut in the U.S. (Although this one may be too "domestic" for their tastes). If that happens then I would hope the commentary track is included.
As Good as It Gets has been released on blu-ray in several markets already. Currently, you can buy the German BD from Amazon.de for $13.49 shipped.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00BB626NQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8 XB7XF

Sony didn't include any special features (they seem to be doing this more and more). The disc is region free, the menu is 100% in English, and it includes several subtitle options.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #575
Expert Member

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Thanks for the info. Makes it kind of a no brainer and probably one reason why it hasn't sold out.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America