Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Downton Abbey: Seasons 1, 2, 3 & 4 (Blu-ray)
$39.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rush (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$13.00
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Blu-ray)
$13.49
The World's End (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Despicable Me 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Fast & Furious 6 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #481
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
From the little bit I've been reading here, it appears the TT release is the one to get based on superior extras and PQ compared to all other versions? I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but I'll shell out the extra $ for the best version i guess.
That's not the way I'm seeing it, esp WRT "superior extras" . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
I have the Aussie release; the only things unique to the TT release are the isolated score and audio commentary. Both releases have the Original Making-of Featurette, Deleted Scenes, Courthouse Protest Footage & Interviews and Original Theatrical Trailer.

The Aussie disc also has the 65-minute *"One foot on a banana peel, the other foot in the grave" short film/doc; the 58-minute "People like us: Making of Philadelphia"; Bruce Springsteen's: Streets of Philadelphia video; and Joe Miller's Macready & Shilts legal services tv spot. I'd take those over the audio commentary any day; given the price difference, it's a no-brainer. Just depends on what types of extras you value more.
FWIW I agree. Spun the Aussie release last night and was pleased to (re)discover that the Springsteen vid and Denzel's hilarious ambulance chaser TV spot are on the disc despite not being listed on the back cover. Especially since both the soundtrack and score CDs are available for one penny on Amazon Marketplace, this is def the disc to get (at half the cost!) over the TT IMO. (And not unlike my U.K. BDs, I like the thicker, sturdier, non-eco case that the Aussie BD is in.) Looking forward to renting the Anniversary DVD from Netflix to do Demme and Nyswaner's commentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlygig View Post
So is the Italian version region free, or at least region A, like the others seem to be? This site is not helping me answer that question...
The site's page for the Italian release says it is Region B with Regions A and C untested. I suggest you use the link on that page to look at what fellow site members own the disc and PM some of them and ask about how the disc is labeled/how the disc behaves if they own a Region-adjustable player.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 09-08-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #482

Feb 2012

Concerning the aussie edition:
Is the Bruce Springsteen video in 1080p?
Are the rest of the extras subtitled?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #483
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1984 View Post
Concerning the aussie edition:
Is the Bruce Springsteen video in 1080p?
Are the rest of the extras subtitled?

Thanks in advance!
No, unsurprisingly IMO, a 20 year-old music vid does not appear to be 1080. It's presented as it was shot, 4x3, and the PQ appears to be DVD-quality.

I checked and, surprisingly, all of the supps (except the Springsteen vid) do appear to be subtitled. Which ones are you most interested in and in what language? The Joe Miller spot does not feature English subs, just the German, Spanish, Italian, French and Dutch that I think all the others do. But perhaps most importantly, "Banana Peel" and "People Like Us" are def both subbed.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #484
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
HD-DVD: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
The site's page for the Italian release says it is Region B with Regions A and C untested. I suggest you use the link on that page to look at what fellow site members own the disc and PM some of them and ask about how the disc is labeled/how the disc behaves if they own a Region-adjustable player.
Just now saw this. I already ordered & have it. Thanks, though, for the suggestion. Someone pointed out to me that you can click to see the image of the back of the case here, and it shows the ABC logo, so that made me pretty sure. I have yet to try watching it, but, it does have that logo!
Old 09-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #485
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Just now saw this. I already ordered & have it. Thanks, though, for the suggestion. Someone pointed out to me that you can click to see the image of the back of the case here, and it shows the ABC logo, so that made me pretty sure. I have yet to try watching it, but, it does have that logo!
It will play. I believe all of these international catalog releases from Sony are region free, as they're releasing them in various regions.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:20 AM   #486
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
The Joe Miller spot does not feature English subs, just the German, Spanish, Italian, French and Dutch that I think all the others do. But perhaps most importantly, "Banana Peel" and "People Like Us" are def both subbed.
Doublechecked: No Espanol on the docs.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #487

Feb 2012

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #488
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Good tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1984 View Post
Thanks for the info!
You're welcome. FYI I just got the Anniversary DVD from Nf to do the commentary and I note that, interestingly enough, there are Japanese and Spanish subs for Demme's commentary track.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #489

Sep 2013

I have a friend in Australia who can help me track this down. Is the Aussie disc Region Free?
Old 11-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #490
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredofmo View Post
I have a friend in Australia who can help me track this down. Is the Aussie disc Region Free?
There's really no 'tracking down' on this: It's been repeatedly mentioned in this thread that you can get the Aussie disc through Aussie e-tailer JBHiFi.com. Per the back cover artwork available here at the site, that disc is Region A/B/C.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #491
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007

Finally decided to bite the bullet and just purchased a copy of this since I love the film and the review on here helped persuade me. My first time buying anything from Twilight Time.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #492
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIsNotBlue View Post
Finally decided to bite the bullet and just purchased a copy of this since I love the film and the review on here helped persuade me. My first time buying anything from Twilight Time.
Talk about bad timing ... you should have picked up a copy a few weeks ago when it was $19.95.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #493
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007

*Shrugs* I'm sure there are tons of Blu-ray's in my collection that I have bought that were priced cheaper at some point as I am sure you have. If the movie and disc quality are worth the price then I don't mind paying it so no big deal.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #494
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIsNotBlue View Post
*Shrugs* I'm sure there are tons of Blu-ray's in my collection that I have bought that were priced cheaper at some point as I am sure you have. If the movie and disc quality are worth the price then I don't mind paying it so no big deal.
FWIW, I picked up the title when it was first release at full price so it is what it is.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America