Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The BFG (Blu-ray)
$18.00
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection (Blu-ray)
$56.99
War Dogs (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Bad Moms (Blu-ray)
$13.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Lights Out (Blu-ray)
$13.99
The Buster Keaton Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Essential Holiday Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 02-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #241
Banned

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendarymatt92 View Post
I can confirm that there is a director's cut of Dune on DVD. It is in a 2 disc special edition boxset released by Sanctuary. Quite hard to get hold of now though, it seems.
That's not a director's cut. As a matter of fact, Lynch hated this TV cut so much that he made them take his name out of the credits. It was directed by Alan Smithee. A fake name used by Hollywood when someone wants to disown their own project.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:16 AM   #242
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Germany

Watchmen (Director's Cut)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition)
Sucker Punch (Extended Cut)
Blade Runner (Final Cut)
Army of Darkness (Director's Cut)
Halloween II (Director's Cut)
The Expendables (Extended Director's Cut)
Léon (Director's Cut)
Old 11-16-2016, 01:59 AM   #243
Expert Member

Apr 2014

To me if it adds something just the least bit more entertaining than the theatrical it's superior. Not sure if all of these qualify as "Director's Cuts" but these are the version I think are superior to the theatricals.

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Terminator 2
Natural Born Killers
Leon
Halloween 2007
Halloween 2 2009
Blade Runner Final Cut
Watchmen
Live Free or Die Hard
The Abyss
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Menace II Society
Straight outta Compton
The Lord of the Rings Extended trilogy
The Devil's Rejects
Kingpin
Friday the 13th 1980
The Exorcist
Knocked Up
Superbad
Death Wish 2
Amadeus
Lethal Weapon
American Gangster
Basic Instinct
Wild Things
Bad Santa Unrated version not Director's cut version
Planet Terror
Set it Off
Friday
Army of Darkness International Cut
The Frighteners
Dressed to Kill
The Driver
Spider Man 2 (2004)
Troy
True Romance
American Pie 1-4
Anchorman
Anchorman 2 Extended cut
The Blues Brothers
Get Him to the Greek
Dumb and Dumber
Little Shop of Horrors
Pineapple Express
Step Brothers
Talladega Nights
Almost Famous
Apocalypse Now Redux
Donnie Brasco
Leaving Las Vegas
The Outsiders
Requiem for a Dream
Walkabout
American Psycho
Cabin Fever
Dawn of the Dead 2004
Land of the Dead
The Last house on the left 2009
Night of the Creeps
Raising Cain
Videodrome
ID4
Chloe
Bound
The Counselor
Donnie Darko
Kalifornia
Limitless
Savages
Bugsy
Con Air
Casualties of War
Femme Fatale
Henry Portrait of a serial killer
Sling Blade
Thanks given by:
beadelf (11-16-2016), FilmKoala (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 02:18 AM   #244
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Kingdom of Heaven
Thanks given by:
beadelf (11-16-2016), Stark (11-16-2016), TheLaughingMann (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 02:23 AM   #245

Jul 2012

-Highlander (when it was originally released, Cannon cut about 15 mins; however it would be restored in future home releases)
-Army of Darkness (having seen and own many verisons of the director's cut, the theatrical cut is kinda a mess to me)
-Phenomena (this is a weird movie already, it's US cut, Creepers
-Lifeforce (Cannon also cut the runtime down, and like Highlander, would be restored in future home releases)
-Dark City (director's cut is better, simple)
-Touch of Evil (Because of the massive sh*t-storm resulting from Citizen Kane's troubled history, Welles rarely if never get final cut from american studios.)
Blu-Ray Wishlist; unaltered please: Star Wars (1977), The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Return of the Jedi (1983), also Godzilla 1985 (1984), The Keep (1983), The Hitcher (1986), Fright Night Part 2 (1988)

Last edited by Kill Bren; 11-16-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:12 AM   #246
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Middle Earth

I was completely unimpressed by the theatrical cut but I love the directors cut. There's so much added, it's practically a different film. The character is so much more fleshed out and it makes the big moments a lot more meaningful. Jet Li's best performance by far.
Thanks given by:
FilmKoala (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 04:11 AM   #247

Jul 2011
Brazil

Almost Famous.
Thanks given by:
demonknight (11-16-2016), JackKnightStarman (11-17-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #248
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagysaudio View Post
Just want to see what others think. I personally HATE ALL director's cuts. Most of the time they're not even director's cuts to begin with, just cash grabs. A lot of the scenes that are put back in are garbage exposition making tightly paced movies into bloated junk.

My thoughts on some of the more popular extended versions:

Aliens - Extended version is a special edition, not a director's cut. The director's cut was the theatrical release. While definitely an interesting cut to have on Blu-ray, it completely throws the pacing off balance. The colony scene is long, boring, and poorly acted. The sentry gun scenes ruin the pacing, have unfinished special effects, and way too many repeated shots.

Alien - Same as above. The real director's cut and Ridley Scott's preferred version was the theatrical release. Cocoon scene completely ruins the end build up.

Alien 3 - Again, it's interesting to watch the assembly cut, but who wants a 150 minute Alien movie? I can totally see why the producers took over. The movie lacked focus. Fincher was all over the place.

Amadeus - Once more, the theatrical cut was the real director's cut. This is a perfect example on how to completely destroy an Oscar winning movie.

Almost Famous - Bootleg cut is boring. Another example on how to completely destroy an Oscar winning movie. And here the theatrical cut was also the true director's cut.

Dances With Wolves - Another Oscar winner destroyed. Four hour cut? Really? Kevin Costner even had to include a disclaimer in which he states the the theatrical cut is not only his preferred version, but the real director's cut.

The Shining - The European true director's cut is miles better. Kubrick stated that the American audience is too stupid and need useless exposition in order to understand and enjoy a movie.

Avatar - Once again Cameron made sure to include a disclaimer that the theatrical cut is his true director's cut.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day - The pattern continues. Cameron included a disclaimer in which he claims that his preferred and director's cut version is the theatrical release. Terminator smiling? An ending which has a completely different tone and stick out like a sore thumb? All of these needless exposition scenes were written by William Wisher Jr.

The Abyss - What a bloated, political, environmental mess the special edition was. Here Cameron too has said that the theatrical cut was his director's cut, being very clear about that and calling the extended cut special edition. Do we really need this sort of heavy handed approach? What's wrong with the original ending (and Cameron's preferred) where the aliens save a man's life because he risked his to save them? Beautiful and perfect. And we still clearly get the message.

Are there any director's cuts which I like better? Very few:

Basic Instinct - A few seconds of extra violence.

RoboCop - A few seconds of extra violence.

Blade Runner - The Final Cut is the best version. But again, it's only a minute, or so different.

Dances with wolves extended is superior to theatrical cut, same with Alien 3, and Abyss.

Avatar is mediocre in all forms, if they had added back all the deleted scenes and unfinished scenes (completed them) it would have been a slightly better movie for me.

Extended lord of the rings trilogy is better than theatrical and The Big red one extended is better.

theres more but i need to remebe them lol
Old 11-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #249
Expert Member

Apr 2014

Quote:
Just want to see what others think. I personally HATE ALL director's cuts. Most of the time they're not even director's cuts to begin with, just cash grabs. A lot of the scenes that are put back in are garbage exposition making tightly paced movies into bloated junk.

My thoughts on some of the more popular extended versions:

Aliens - Extended version is a special edition, not a director's cut. The director's cut was the theatrical release. While definitely an interesting cut to have on Blu-ray, it completely throws the pacing off balance. The colony scene is long, boring, and poorly acted. The sentry gun scenes ruin the pacing, have unfinished special effects, and way too many repeated shots.

Alien - Same as above. The real director's cut and Ridley Scott's preferred version was the theatrical release. Cocoon scene completely ruins the end build up.

Alien 3 - Again, it's interesting to watch the assembly cut, but who wants a 150 minute Alien movie? I can totally see why the producers took over. The movie lacked focus. Fincher was all over the place.

Amadeus - Once more, the theatrical cut was the real director's cut. This is a perfect example on how to completely destroy an Oscar winning movie.

Almost Famous - Bootleg cut is boring. Another example on how to completely destroy an Oscar winning movie. And here the theatrical cut was also the true director's cut.

Dances With Wolves - Another Oscar winner destroyed. Four hour cut? Really? Kevin Costner even had to include a disclaimer in which he states the the theatrical cut is not only his preferred version, but the real director's cut.

The Shining - The European true director's cut is miles better. Kubrick stated that the American audience is too stupid and need useless exposition in order to understand and enjoy a movie.

Avatar - Once again Cameron made sure to include a disclaimer that the theatrical cut is his true director's cut.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day - The pattern continues. Cameron included a disclaimer in which he claims that his preferred and director's cut version is the theatrical release. Terminator smiling? An ending which has a completely different tone and stick out like a sore thumb? All of these needless exposition scenes were written by William Wisher Jr.

The Abyss - What a bloated, political, environmental mess the special edition was. Here Cameron too has said that the theatrical cut was his director's cut, being very clear about that and calling the extended cut special edition. Do we really need this sort of heavy handed approach? What's wrong with the original ending (and Cameron's preferred) where the aliens save a man's life because he risked his to save them? Beautiful and perfect. And we still clearly get the message.

Are there any director's cuts which I like better? Very few:

Basic Instinct - A few seconds of extra violence.

RoboCop - A few seconds of extra violence.

Blade Runner - The Final Cut is the best version. But again, it's only a minute, or so different.
I've never seen Cameron's disclaimers but the extended version to Aliens was Cameron's original vision. He was pretty much forced by the studio to cut it down like most of his movies. That happy ending to T2 pretty much doesn't even exist anymore and when it did it was by special choice from the viewer. I definitely prefer the 150 min version to Alien 3 over the mess of the theatrical version. Im one of the few that considers Alien 3 a misunderstood masterpiece. Also the sex scenes in Basic Instinct are a vast improvement in the director's cut.

Last edited by MassiveMovieBuff; 11-16-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #250
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013

Aliens
Almost Famous
Brazil
Old 11-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #251
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

I usually prefer the director's cut/extended edition/special edition unless it is by George Lucas. Then the theatrical is the preferred choice.
Thanks given by:
TheLaughingMann (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #252
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamchuck1 View Post
Kingdom of Heaven
It remains my absolute favorite director's cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill Bren View Post
-Highlander (when it was originally released, Cannon cut about 15 mins; however it would be restored in future home releases)
-Army of Darkness (having the director's cut so many times, the theatrical cut is kinda a mess to me)
-Phenomena (this is a weird movie already, it's US cut, Creepers
-Lifeforce (Cannon also cut the runtime down, and like Highlander, would be restored in future home releases)
-Dark City (director's cut is better, simple)
-Touch of Evil (Because of the massive sh*t-storm resulting from Citizen Kane's troubled history, Welles rarely if never get final cut from american studios.)
Highlander gets better by its DC. It explains a couple of things:
1) How Connor meets the elderly woman who aids him at his antiquities shop.
2) How the Kurgan magically appears at Brenda's apartment.
3) We also see added flashbacks for Connor in the opening scene at the arena. That opening moment where he's sitting with that brooding, ominous face we zoom in on? More scenes get added there so we see elements of his early life portrayed.

I have yet to watch Army of Darkness or Dark City's directors' cuts.
I has Steam. All interested parties, message me at The Laughing Mann_|BC| for gameplay and the like.

"We are the devils drawing our own damn dirty deals from the world. The hardest deal of all is where we get nothing and the world gets everything."
Old 11-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #253

May 2016
New Bedford, Massachusetts

Daredevil 2003
The Wolfman 2010
Batman v Superman
Sucker Punch
Friday the 13th 2009
Kingdom of Heaven
Watchmen
Terminator Salvation
Alien 3
Blade Runner
Total Recall 2012

All these are films much improved from their theatrical counterparts that I no longer acknowledge the theatrical versions. It is indeed possible.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #254
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014

Quote:

Old post, but so full of misinformation. The Abyss, for one. The extended Director's Cut IS Cameron's preferred vision. That's the script he wrote and would've put that version in theaters had he not gone over budget and over schedule in post. Fox asked him to cut the film due to length, and he chose (against their wishes) to cut SFX instead of the human story, which was the core of the film. It's funny, because the theatrical ending in no way conveys the same message, and upon release, had many people scratching their heads.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (11-17-2016), JackKnightStarman (11-17-2016), warrian (11-16-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 12:04 AM   #255
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Orlando, FL

The first cut is the deepest.
"There's been an awakening. Have you felt it?"
Old 11-17-2016, 12:09 AM   #256
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Ah, nagys. His nuggets of wisdom are the gift that keeps on giving.
Thanks given by:
JackKnightStarman (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 02:19 AM   #257
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
Old post, but so full of misinformation. The Abyss, for one. The extended Director's Cut IS Cameron's preferred vision. That's the script he wrote and would've put that version in theaters had he not gone over budget and over schedule in post. Fox asked him to cut the film due to length, and he chose (against their wishes) to cut SFX instead of the human story, which was the core of the film. It's funny, because the theatrical ending in no way conveys the same message, and upon release, had many people scratching their heads.
My experience with The Abyss is that which cut you prefer is largely rooted in your politics.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #258
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
My experience with The Abyss is that which cut you prefer is largely rooted in your politics.
Ooh, ooh, analyse me!! I kinda like the theatrical cut, though there are character moments in the Special Edition which I dearly love.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #259
Special Member

Aug 2008
San Fransokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadbully View Post
I totally agree with the OP.

I'm a huge huge alien fan, and have watched those movies hundreds of times.
Although I'm so grateful for the special editions, I tend to lean toward the theatrical versions as being better films.

As an alien purist, I can see why some people might prefer the extended editions, but I still believe they are not better films for reasons already stated by the OP. Also, the assembly cut was put together with bits and pieces of found footage, recycled score, and an amateur editor...Although done well, its nowhere near what it could have been.

I believe Alien 3 is an interesting exception, in that I believe there is a better film SOMEWHERE in there. I think its a combination of the 2 versions and I believe there is a fan edit somewhere that may be the better film overall.
The opening montage is better, the Dog burster is way better, and the queen coming out of Ripley is better all in the theatrical.
However, the assembly cut does have some interesting character moments here and there.
Still, if I had to choose between only those 2 versions I still say theatrical hands down.
For me, Alien Theatrical, Aliens Special, and Alien 3 Special. Alien Resurrection doesn't exist, and haven't watched it since walking out of the theatre after it ended back in '97.

Ridley's "Director's Cut" isn't that in the truest sense. As many of us know from watching his intro on the disc. And to me it just doesn't feel like the same movie. I stick with the TC, and only watch the DC when I feel like contemplating how different the experience "could" have been...

Aliens theatrical cut is the version that I fell in love with back in '86. But Cameron's Director's Cut is the complete experience. He even claimed it to be his definitive version. The only complaint is the first scene establishing the terraformers before the Ripley and the Marines arrive. Every other addition works well. I love the holy$#!t/hopeless feel with the sentry guns, it heightens the tension. So while I love both versions, I usually have a hard time picking between the two...

I remember seeing alien3 when it first premiered on HBO back in '92 and thinking there were parts missing from the narrative. Gaping parts. It was only later that I heard about the producer interference with Fincher's vision. I don't watch the theatrical cut anymore, knowing that Fincher's original vision lays somewhere in there. And considering Fincher is in my top five of Director's, that version is more appealing.

Alien Resurrection is proof Joss Whedon is overrated. The less said about this turd the better.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
JackKnight_Starman Profiler List
Mitsubishi WD65835 65" DLP RPTV
Oppo BDP-93
Onkyo TX-SR609 A/V Reciever

" You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you need to concentrate on." President George W. Bush, 2001
Old 11-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #260

Jun 2012

Speaking of director's cut/extended editions. Anyone seen the extended cut of Iron Man on FX? I am just wondering why FX is only showing this and there is no extended cut on BR?
I don't know about you guys, but Dare Devil Director's cut makes the movie so much better. I know there is so much hate for this movie, but it was not that bad.

The Directors Cut of The Phantom Menace was ok.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies