COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Lake Placid (Blu-ray)
$18.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.41
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Party (Blu-ray)
$17.49
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Great Gatsby (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Little House on the Prairie: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Karneval: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$43.08

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
kashif kashif is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
kashif's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Dubai
150
11
2
Default Which Power Converter I need for a USA BD player?

First of all I want to know if I buy a BD player from Amazon USA will it be region A for sure?

Secondly what sort of power converter I should buy to make it work here in United Arab Emirates (Middle East). I am not sure what my current power supply is so any help would be great.

I want to know it so I ll order both, converter and player at the same time to reduce extra shipping cost.

Please Reply.
Thanks.
"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Michael Corleone to Tom and Rocco about Roth - (The Godfather 2)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Prim Prim is offline
Expert Member
 
Prim's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
Norway
416
2
1
Default

According to this page, you have 220V 50hz, making it the same as the UK and other European countries. You will need a step down power transformer for an American Blu-Ray player (unless the player is dual-volt). See here - http://www.220-electronics.com/voltage-converter.html. I don't know the wattage of the player you are getting, so this is something you will have to check beforehand. You could maybe buy a modded player, those may have dual voltage, but I don't know for certain. Or an American PS3, which would work fine in your country without a transformer. I have one myself, running fine on 220V 50hz. You will just need a power cable from your country for this to work. If you don't mind using a PS3 as a BD player, this will definitely be the easiest route to take.

Oh, I forgot to answer the first question. Blu-Ray players from Amazon.com will be Region A or Multiregion (if they are modified), the listing will reflect this.

Last edited by Prim; 02-23-2013 at 09:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
kashif kashif is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
kashif's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Dubai
150
11
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prim View Post
According to this page, you have 220V 50hz, making it the same as the UK and other European countries. You will need a step down power transformer for an American Blu-Ray player (unless the player is dual-volt). See here - http://www.220-electronics.com/voltage-converter.html. I don't know the wattage of the player you are getting, so this is something you will have to check beforehand. You could maybe buy a modded player, those may have dual voltage, but I don't know for certain. Or an American PS3, which would work fine in your country without a transformer. I have one myself, running fine on 220V 50hz. You will just need a power cable from your country for this to work. If you don't mind using a PS3 as a BD player, this will definitely be the easiest route to take.

Oh, I forgot to answer the first question. Blu-Ray players from Amazon.com will be Region A or Multiregion (if they are modified), the listing will reflect this.
Thanks a lot for the detailed explaination bro. So will this work:

http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Converter-International-Countries-Blackberry/dp/B0045RU68U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361661154&sr =1-1&keywords=Step+Down

Also Do I need a plug like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-to-UK-Plug-Adapter/dp/B000G1EWZ2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361661527&sr =1-3&keywords=uk+plug+adapter

I cant afford a USA PS3 now. Infact I cant even afford a BD player but I am desperate to watch a Criterion movie so I am looking for a very cheap Region A player. If you have knowledge of which is the cheapest good BD player please do share that please also confirm if the converter link I posted will work?

Please Reply.
Thanks.
"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Michael Corleone to Tom and Rocco about Roth - (The Godfather 2)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
OrlandoEastwood OrlandoEastwood is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
OrlandoEastwood's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Mexico, OH
76
545
2
85
24
Default

You'll need one of those gray converter boxes. I had to buy a ton of them when I lived over in Germany because most of my stuff was only 110V and it's all 220V.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
Prim Prim is offline
Expert Member
 
Prim's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
Norway
416
2
1
Default

I can't see why not, as long as the BD player does not need more wattage than 200. Ideally, you should have "more than enough", rather than "just enough". This will depend on how much the BD player needs. Otherwise, it'll get hot, or worse, melt. Let's say, the BD player needs 200 watts. In that case, I would double the wattage and buy a 400watt transformer. You really don't want to take the cheap route regarding this, I know I wouldn't.

You will need a plug adapter, unless you buy a power transformer that already has a plug that is used in your country. It seems that UAE uses the "G" plug which the UK uses. In that case you would need a US to UK plug. I don't know if US BD players have the 2-or 3-pin plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif View Post
If you have knowledge of which is the cheapest good BD player please do share that please also confirm if the converter link I posted will work?

Please Reply.
Thanks.
I can't speak from first hand experience regarding the transformers or standalone Region A players, as I don't own either, but power transformers are used by many people around the world on a daily basis. As long as you get one that can handle what you throw at it, there should be no problem, but I can not personally guarantee that the one you linked to will work good for your use. Depends much on the player, and since you don't have it yet, it's difficult to say...

Regarding players - it seems to me that the Insignias are very popular around here, and easy to get multiregion firmware for. I would read through one of the threads regarding these players for ideas.

I'm sorry I can't speak from first-hand experience regarding this, but maybe you'll get some ideas. I try to help any way I can.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
kashif kashif is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
kashif's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Dubai
150
11
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prim View Post
I can't see why not, as long as the BD player does not need more wattage than 200. Ideally, you should have "more than enough", rather than "just enough". This will depend on how much the BD player needs. Otherwise, it'll get hot, or worse, melt. Let's say, the BD player needs 200 watts. In that case, I would double the wattage and buy a 400watt transformer. You really don't want to take the cheap route regarding this, I know I wouldn't.

You will need a plug adapter, unless you buy a power transformer that already has a plug that is used in your country. It seems that UAE uses the "G" plug which the UK uses. In that case you would need a US to UK plug. I don't know if US BD players have the 2-or 3-pin plugs.


I can't speak from first hand experience regarding the transformers or standalone Region A players, as I don't own either, but power transformers are used by many people around the world on a daily basis. As long as you get one that can handle what you throw at it, there should be no problem, but I can not personally guarantee that the one you linked to will work good for your use. Depends much on the player, and since you don't have it yet, it's difficult to say...

Regarding players - it seems to me that the Insignias are very popular around here, and easy to get multiregion firmware for. I would read through one of the threads regarding these players for ideas.

I'm sorry I can't speak from first-hand experience regarding this, but maybe you'll get some ideas. I try to help any way I can.
Thanks again for the detailed reply. Yes you are right I should buy some good converter. I hope I make a good decision in the end!
"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Michael Corleone to Tom and Rocco about Roth - (The Godfather 2)
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:35 AM.