COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Lake Placid (Blu-ray)
$18.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.41
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Party (Blu-ray)
$17.49
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Great Gatsby (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Little House on the Prairie: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Karneval: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$43.08

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: After Reading This Megathread, Will you still purchase LOTR?
Yes 386 59.75%
No 260 40.25%
Voters: 646. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #10981
Expert Member

Oct 2009
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by rljnunez View Post
I have a question.. I am looking into getting both theatrical & extended versions of the films, so I just bought the 3 film trilogy to get the theatricals versions (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lo...Blu-ray/92735/) and I know that I am losing out on features that are included theatricals's stand alone releases that have a 2nd disc (DVD) with a few bonuses on them. But my question is, are the features that are on the 2-disc sets (i.e. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lo...-Blu-ray/1971/) carried over to the extended edition's 5-disc set sets (i.e. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lo...9929/#Review)?
No, those 5-Disc Extended Edition releases include all the bonus features from the Extended Edition boxset (which in turn are carried out from their old DVD counterpart, for they are actually on DVD) and add the Costa Botes documentaries (one for each movie) on a separate DVD, but the bonus contents from the theatrical cut releases are not included.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #10982

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
They aren't but they're not even remotely as good as the extras on the extended trilogy. Don't bother with the 2 disc theatrical sets if you just got the theatrical set.
Ok, awesome.. Thank you so much :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
No, those 5-Disc Extended Edition releases include all the bonus features from the Extended Edition boxset (which in turn are carried out from their old DVD counterpart, for they are actually on DVD) and add the Costa Botes documentaries (one for each movie) on a separate DVD, but the bonus contents from the theatrical cut releases are not included.
Ok, thanks so much.. I guess I will just stick with the 3 film collection set & eventually get the extended editions..
Old 04-05-2014, 01:43 AM   #10983
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

No, but that's okay, dude, looks like you've got that covered enough for both of us.
You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:45 AM   #10984

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
No, but that's okay, dude, looks like you've got that covered enough for both of us.
By politely asking a question about a release? Oooooooookay...
Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #10985
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas
Thumbs up

I finally got to watch the Theatrical Trilogy (3 nights running). I'd seen the first one on TV long ago (when I hated the very idea), but only snippets of parts 2 & 3. Although still upset about the many changes/omissions vis-à-vis the books, I quite enjoyed the spectacle - and after the first one, the AQ & PQ were exceptional. However, three-hour movies are a wearing experience - for me. I simply can't imagine ever watching the extended versions now (4 hours! ) - and this from one who almost always watches the extended versions of "normal" length movies.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:13 AM   #10986
Special Member

Oct 2013

Quote:
I finally got to watch the Theatrical Trilogy (3 nights running). I'd seen the first one on TV long ago (when I hated the very idea), but only snippets of parts 2 & 3. Although still upset about the many changes/omissions vis-à-vis the books, I quite enjoyed the spectacle - and after the first one, the AQ & PQ were exceptional. However, three-hour movies are a wearing experience - for me. I simply can't imagine ever watching the extended versions now (4 hours! ) - and this from one who almost always watches the extended versions of "normal" length movies.
Wait you have read the books and this is the first time you have seen the movies? Did you just read the books?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:37 AM   #10987
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->85 SteelBooks™/MetalPaks--------->118

Quote:
IMHO the extended editions are actually easier to sit through than the theatrical versions because they are more interesting. The main exception to that is the last hour of ROTK as it just seems to have a million endings.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:41 AM   #10988
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jack View Post
Wait you have read the books and this is the first time you have seen the movies? Did you just read the books?
No, over the course of my life I've read the "Quadrilogy" 3 or 4 times. It's a very hallucinogenic series and the images in a movie 1) can't possibly outdo a fevered imagination, and 2) can only clash with certain "interpretations" embedded in ones brain over the years. In some ways and certain cases, the movies work better for the literarily "uninitiated". However, of course this comes down to individual taste and ... imaginative preconceptions.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:55 AM   #10989
Special Member

Oct 2013

Quote:
No, over the course of my life I've read the "Quadrilogy" 3 or 4 times. It's a very hallucinogenic series and the images in a movie 1) can't possibly outdo a fevered imagination, and 2) can only clash with certain "interpretations" embedded in ones brain over the years. In some ways and certain cases, the movies work better for the literarily "uninitiated". However, of course this comes down to individual taste and ... imaginative preconceptions.
Fair enough. Personally I think they both work extremely well as individual entities. Have taught myself to throw out preconceived notions before seeing a film based on a beloved book. Going back to your prior comment on never watching the extended cuts again, personally I think that's a mistake. I tried watching the theatrical cuts after seeing the extended cuts numerous times, and they just feel wrong. Almost like watching a movie on tv that had been edited due to time allowed. That's me though. If anything, can always break up each film into two parts.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:03 AM   #10990
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jack View Post
Fair enough. Personally I think they both work extremely well as individual entities. Have taught myself to throw out preconceived notions before seeing a film based on a beloved book. Going back to your prior comment on never watching the extended cuts again, personally I think that's a mistake. I tried watching the theatrical cuts after seeing the extended cuts numerous times, and they just feel wrong. Almost like watching a movie on tv that had been edited due to time allowed. That's me though. If anything, can always break up each film into two parts.
I thought of that - and I trust HD's opinion. Aren't the extended eds on two BDs? That would make it easier. I actually never intended to watch the Theatricals, but the set was so cheap and I needed something to get into free shipping territory ...
Anyway, no matter what I said or think, I'm a completest. No way I don't watch (and probably own) the long versions someday.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:16 AM   #10991
Special Member

Oct 2013

Quote:
I thought of that - and I trust HD's opinion. Aren't the extended eds on two BDs? That would make it easier. I actually never intended to watch the Theatricals, but the set was so cheap and I needed something to get into free shipping territory ...
Anyway, no matter what I said or think, I'm a completest. No way I don't watch (and probably own) the long versions someday.
They do come on two seperate discs. Have perfect breaks. Can easily turn them into a 6 night event. That's what I did when I finally got my girlfriend to watch them. The prospect of watching 4 hour movies in one sitting was too much for her. They work really well broken up.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #10992
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
NYC

what the hell lol i bought the $8 trilogy at best buy

fellowship has blank disc art? I've never seen this before

tt and rotk has the same disc art from previous ones

Last edited by Tony208; 04-17-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #10993
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
NYC

Old 04-19-2014, 03:52 AM   #10994
Expert Member

Oct 2012
NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony208 View Post
what the hell lol i bought the $8 trilogy at best buy

fellowship has blank disc art? I've never seen this before

tt and rotk has the same disc art from previous ones
I bought mine at Walmart on Black Friday last year and all 3-discs were blank, no disc art. I'm guessing the discs supposed to have artwork?
Old 04-19-2014, 04:28 AM   #10995

Apr 2009

I just bought a copy at Wal-Mart last week.. First disc is also blank, the other 2 have full artwork..
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America