Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Willow (Blu-ray)
$12.36
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Creepshow (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #81
Special Member

Feb 2014

Agree that we're extremely fortunate to be getting Wake in Fright in any form at all; if it hadn't been for the fact that the print was found after many years, and the time/money spent by those restoring this, none of us would now be seeing the film.

I honestly don't think the film's PQ is that horrible, but maybe that's just me. And, as has been said, you really don't want it to look too good, considering the type of film this is & the era in which it was made.

Also, I recently watched The French Connection on Blu & though the PQ was better than the DVD, there were still some scenes where it was terrible....So, my guess is that the reason the PQ for some of these older '70's films isn't as good as it could be may have a lot to do with the limitations of the original print...

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 04-29-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #82
Special Member

Jan 2014
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Agree that we're extremely fortunate to be getting Wake in Fright in any form at all; if it hadn't been for the fact that the print was found after many years & the perservence, time, and money spent by those restoring this, none of us would now be seeing the film.

I honestly don't think the film's PQ is that horrible, but maybe that's just me. And, as has been said, you really don't want it to look too good, considering the type of film this is & the era in which it was made.

Also, I recently watched The French Connection on Blu & though the PQ was better than the DVD, there were still some scenes where it was terrible....So, my guess is that the reason the PQ for some of these older '70's films isn't as good as it could be may have a lot to do with the limitations of the original print...
I think it looks terrible, as it looks artificially too good due to it's grain being completely scrubbed away. Couldn't they have found some middle ground ?

I don't really get this "you really don't want it to look too good, considering the type of film this is & the era in which it was made" talk. Texas Chainsaw Massacre has been cleaned up by Don May and still looks grainy and great, and we'll be seeing a upgrade of that this year, so...

Did you watch the re-release of The French Connection? That's the best disc, giving the best presentation considering the films limitations.

I don't think that Wake In Fright looks like it does due to limitations of the original print, but due to drunk and drugged monkeys being at the controls whilst making the master. Thanks to those monkeys, the world has access to this masterpiece. I thank them for that, but not for their sub-par restoration work.
Drink up, Mr. innocent. Drink. Everybody's innocent here. There's only one guilty party...and that's me.

Last edited by AlexIlDottore; 04-29-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #83
Special Member

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexIlDottore View Post
Did you watch the re-release of The French Connection? That's the best disc, giving the best presentation considering the films limitations.

I don't think that Wake In Fright looks like it does due to limitations of the original print, but due to drunk and drugged monkeys being at the controls whilst making the master. Thanks to those monkeys, the world has access to this masterpiece. I thank them, but not for their sub-par work.
I honestly don't know which Blu version of TFC I saw; I don't have it in front of me, but it may have been the older version. In any case, it does look better than the regular DVD...

To be honest, I don't have a lot of knowledge/expertise when it comes to the technical work involved in restoring a film. However, I am happy to finally be able to see WIF on home video...

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 04-29-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #84

Jun 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
I think it looks terrible, as it looks artificially too good due to it's grain being completely scrubbed away. Couldn't they have found some middle ground ?

I don't really get this "you really don't want it to look too good, considering the type of film this is & the era in which it was made" talk. Texas Chainsaw Massacre has been cleaned up by Don May and still looks grainy and great, and we'll be seeing a upgrade of that this year, so...

I don't think that Wake In Fright looks like it does due to limitations of the original print, but due to drunk and drugged monkeys being at the controls whilst making the master. Thanks to those monkeys, the world has access to this masterpiece. I thank them for that, but not for their sub-par restoration work.
If you go to 5:30 in the video you can actually see the monkey

Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #85
Special Member

Jan 2014
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgfs View Post
If you go to 5:30 in the video you can actually see the monkey

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8qJWCMJ7qs
And "It's the first time..."
Drink up, Mr. innocent. Drink. Everybody's innocent here. There's only one guilty party...and that's me.
Thanks given by:
hdgfs (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #86

Jun 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
And "It's the first time..."
And thankfully the only time
Old 04-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #87
Special Member

Jan 2014
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgfs View Post
And thankfully the only time
Old 04-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #88

Feb 2010

Quote:

Hear, hear!
"Carpenter is practically a God when it comes to movie making. His movies are on an entirely different level." - nagysaudio

"What an arrogant piece of shit." - John Carpenter (about himself)
Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #89

Dec 2012

Yes, I'm incredibly glad to have the film in HD. I just wish the tinkering / scrubbing had been more limited, and that we could have gotten a straight scan of that print found in Philadelphia instead. Why do those folks who encode / digitize 35-mm films dislike film grain so much? Or, rather, feel that their viewing public does?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #90
Power Member

May 2011

Quote:
It's a shame that the finished master is scrubbed to death and that colours in certain scenes are strange. The most striking example for me being the daytime bar scenes. People clearly have rubbery orange faces. This can be seen in the restoration comparison on the Australian discs.

Well, the "orange" part has probably been added in order to emphasize how hot it is in the community where the movie takes place in, very similar to Criterion's release of Do The Right Thing. I don't know if it is approved by the director or the cinematographer as is the case for Criterion's Do The Right Thing, but I would guess that they had some sort of input.

As for the "rubbery" part, the pictures you posted are great, but to me they are still too small to see any difference in grain structure.
"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
Old 05-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #91
Special Member

Jan 2014
France

MoC release review is up, and it's so sad to see that this masterpiece is only available in various terrible editions due terrible mastering. I hope the guy who worked on the master has learned from his mistakes, or moved on to another career.

Maybe one day this film will have the release it deserves.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #92
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
^

Interesting. Is the same with all the world releases?
I saw the theatrical DCP and it was scrubbed (and looked terrible), so it's not a blu-ray issue, and I assume any release that uses this restoration as a source will look like this.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #93

Feb 2010

Quote:
MoC release review is up, and it's so sad to see that this masterpiece is only available in various terrible editions due terrible mastering. I hope the guy who worked on the master has learned from his mistakes, or moved on to another career.

Maybe one day this film will have the release it deserves.
A damn shame and I'm glad that Pro-B has said what needed to be said about this very ugly, very disappointing "restoration effort." Since it's been confirmed that the theatrical DCP also looks like caca, we know that the problems go back to at least the ProRes file that is likely the source for the DCP and Blu-ray and whatever other digital iterations the film might appear in.
"Carpenter is practically a God when it comes to movie making. His movies are on an entirely different level." - nagysaudio

"What an arrogant piece of shit." - John Carpenter (about himself)

Last edited by jah13; 05-08-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:49 AM   #94

Aug 2012

If anyone wants my digital copy of this film for free, pm me. EDIT: GONE
Slipcovers wanted: Supernatural: Season 8

Last edited by dorothyv; 07-05-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #95

Jul 2011
Cackalack Country

This Blu might have gone out of print. None of the usual suspects have it in stock and the copies I am finding from 3rd parties are in the $50 range. I was able to purchase a copy direct from Drafthouse (though S&H was $10?!) but I think once they run out of copies it might be done? Anyone know about this?
I'm not a collector, I'm a connoisseur.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #96
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Texas, at the bottom of a well 21,000 ft down

Echoing the post above....is this OOP? Only available from secondary sellers from the looks of things.
"All you need for a movie is a gun and a girl" - JLG
Old 10-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #97
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2012
WI

Oh no, I gotta get this soon.
My Top 20 Films of all time!
1. Taxi Driver 2. Eyes Wide Shut 3. Jurassic Park 4. Boogie Nights 5. Boyhood 6. Apocalypse Now 7. Psycho (1960) 8. There Will Be Blood 9. The Godfather Part II 10. Brazil 11. The Godfather 12. Zodiac 13. Blade Runner 14. Thief 15. Halloween (1978) 16. The Silence of The Lambs 17. It's Such a Beautiful Day 18. Drive 19. Gremlins 20. The Tree of Life
Old 10-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #98
Special Member

Nov 2011

It's very common for botique titles to go out of stock between pressings; in the absence of any announcement from Alamo Drafthouse I assume more will be pressed (so NOT out of print). I'm thinking the same about Miami Connection. Granted anything is possible but I wouldn't break the bank on obtaining these titles just yet.
Thanks given by:
schlock (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 11:44 PM   #99

May 2014

I think Alamo was changing their distributor, and their older titles were supposed to have switched over to their new distrib, but that never seemed to happen for who knows why. But the titles were still avail on Alamo's site. If they are out-of-stock there right now, maybe they are just in-between print runs so no need to rush and pay exorbitant ebay prices. Maybe an e-mail inquiry to Alamo will get an answer about this?
Old 10-05-2014, 12:58 AM   #100
Expert Member

Jan 2012
Montana

Same thing happened with Trailer Wars. I had to order it direct from Alamo
Release wishlist: Brain Damage Sisters Deadfall (1993) Vampire's Kiss The Hidden Don't Look Now Man Bites Dog The Brood The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover Something Wicked This Way Comes Don't Torture a Duckling Black Belly of the Tarantula McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America