Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Darkest Hour 3D (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Zootopia 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.96
House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Finding Nemo 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.96
Flight of the Butterflies 4K +3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walk 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
Up (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Jaws 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Step Up 3 (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Jurassic World 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
San Andreas 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 04-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #1341
Blu-ray Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

They opened up the UHD version's mattes top and bottom for the 3D version. The reason why the image appears to be laterally shifted in comparison to the UHD when watching the 3D version in 2D is because you're only seeing part of the intended image, there's slightly different spatial information held in the other 'eye'.

Or that's just simply how they converted the 3D, as not all conversion processes use an untouched original for the left eye and put the difference in the right, some conversions create two entirely new frames from the one original.

Plenty of caps here: http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...D=1415#auswahl
Old 04-14-2015, 04:22 AM   #1342

Feb 2009
California

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2015, 04:24 AM   #1343

Jan 2011

To me it just looks like they opened the top and bottom, then zoomed in a little. The zooming would crop info from all sides, but the opening of the mattes added more info on the top and bottom than the zooming took away.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:25 AM   #1344

Feb 2009
California

It seems like the 1.85 ratio is what the director intended, so if I were to watch a 2D version I should go with the 2008 release or the UHE right? Rather than watching the 2D version on the 3D disc.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #1345
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2011
The Citadel

I gave this a proper watch yesterday, I've had it for ages but only skimmed it. When I skimmed it I wasn't impressed with what I saw so I kept putting off the whole movie. After giving it its due yesterday though I was actually fairly impressed. Considering this is the last of the Fox catalogue conversions (it certainly doesn't seem like we're getting any more sadly) I think the tech had really improved from I, Robot. Sure it's not strong 3D at all but they did a pretty good job, especially taking into account all of the foliage and jungle that needed breaking up into layers. Lots of shots showcased some decent layers and while there wasn't a great sense of volume, it was perfectly acceptable.

This is a real step up from I, Robot with Jumper somewhere in between. It's a shame they only did 3 of these catalogue conversions as they were getting better with each one.
I am your redeemer, it is by my hand that you will rise from the ashes of this world!!!

PSN ID: levcore
Old 03-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #1346
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2012
England
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
I gave this a proper watch yesterday, I've had it for ages but only skimmed it. When I skimmed it I wasn't impressed with what I saw so I kept putting off the whole movie. After giving it its due yesterday though I was actually fairly impressed. Considering this is the last of the Fox catalogue conversions (it certainly doesn't seem like we're getting any more sadly) I think the tech had really improved from I, Robot. Sure it's not strong 3D at all but they did a pretty good job, especially taking into account all of the foliage and jungle that needed breaking up into layers. Lots of shots showcased some decent layers and while there wasn't a great sense of volume, it was perfectly acceptable.

This is a real step up from I, Robot with Jumper somewhere in between. It's a shame they only did 3 of these catalogue conversions as they were getting better with each one.

I have not seen I,Robot or Jumper in 3D but I have to say Predator 3D was great I really enjoyed the 3D.
My Top 10 Films of All Time
1. Jurassic Park 2. Ghostbusters 3. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 4. Star Trek: First Contact 5. Jaws 6. Toy Story 7. Fantasia 8. Army of Darkness 9. Batman - 1989 10. Wes Craven's New Nightmare
Old 03-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #1347
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2011
The Citadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizz View Post
I have not seen I,Robot or Jumper in 3D but I have to say Predator 3D was great I really enjoyed the 3D.
I, Robot is really not worth bothering with unless you love the movie (I don't) however I thought Jumper was a lot better in terms of the 3D.
I am your redeemer, it is by my hand that you will rise from the ashes of this world!!!

Old 03-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #1348

Aug 2015

so why dont they do some more conversions ?
Old 03-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #1349

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazadams View Post
so why dont they do some more conversions ?
I dont think 3D releases sells anymore
More and more tvs are now sold without the 3D feature.....the brand new Samsung models doesnt support 3D unfortunately.
I came here to see what members wrote about this release,bought it today and its still sealed so have to decide if I want to keep it.....or not.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #1350
Power Member

Jul 2014
T.A.R.D.I.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeInPlease View Post
More and more tvs are now sold without the 3D feature.....the brand new Samsung models doesnt support 3D unfortunately.
I came here to see what members wrote about this release,bought it today and its still sealed so have to decide if I want to keep it.....or not.
I do realize 3d is no longer "alive" but we'll certainly keep getting 3d releases in my opinion, at least for a couple more years. If other TVs follow suit with Samsung and don't keep 3d as an option, then studios won't release 3d blu-rays however. I'm personally opting for the LG series this year so I can keep watch 3d on all my tvs, if i prefer, even if I very rarely do. Pretty much only animated.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #1351

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

I'm still holding out hope for the rumored Independence Day 3D conversion, since the sequel is coming out this summer.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:14 AM   #1352
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
USA

I know people love Predator as a movie, but the technology is not there yet for a strong 3D auto conversion if this film is a sample of it. The 3D in Predator is definitely not a good example of the power of 3D, and is more like a novelty since the 3D is definitely mild (with hardly any pop outs) most of the way (except for that stronger 3D shot with the characters crossing the bridge/log) to put it bluntly when comparing the 3D here to any strong 3D film that shows what 3D is all about.

Mild 3D conversions where early tech computer software does the computations and makes the decisions instead of humans was the problem here and in I Robot 3D. These weak 3D examples don't help 3D sell more 3DTVs. Predator and I Robot deserved stronger 3D, not mostly mild auto 3D conversion experiments. Just imagine the 3D in these films was as strong as we saw in Jurassic Park 1 3D or Titanic 3D? Or Pacific Rim 3D among other 3D conversions that cared enough to give us stronger 3D?

Compare the 3D here to strong 3D examples and this pales in comparison, putting things in perspective as to the quality of this 3D conversion.
Thanks given by:
Richard--W (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #1353
Special Member

Oct 2008

Sure, but the thing is, if it weren't a shallow-ish semi-automated conversion, there wouldn't be a 3D version at all. They clearly didn't want to sink millions of dollars into it just to send it straight-to-video. I agree it's a novelty more than anything, but for what it is, it isn't bad.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #1354
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2011
The Citadel

Agreed, it was either fairly weak conversion or no conversion.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #1355

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
Sure, but the thing is, if it weren't a shallow-ish semi-automated conversion, there wouldn't be a 3D version at all. They clearly didn't want to sink millions of dollars into it just to send it straight-to-video. I agree it's a novelty more than anything, but for what it is, it isn't bad.
These three conversions may be mild 3D but they are still miles ahead of all the German autoconversions I've seen and I'd still rather watch them than the 2D versions. I, Robot in particular looks much better with the mattes opened up...
Thanks given by:
levcore (03-09-2016), Paul H (03-09-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 01:28 AM   #1356
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

One reason they stuck with a mostly mild 3D conversion is because direct conversions require filling in the blanks of the shifted images in the frame that is being adjusted to create the 3D pop. The stronger the 3D, the more blank space that needs to be filled in with matching backgrounds to avoid a bad warping effect around the edges of objects (as seen in some of Piranha 3D).

Although the 3D is mostly mild in Predator 3D except for a few nice 3D shots (waterfall, underwater, log bridge), it's not a total loss for the 3D and doesn't tend to have too much of the blending/warping effect of Clash of the Titans 3D, where the foreground object's edges are blending into the background further back, which is a conversion error to avoid.

Considering this was sold at retail for a low price ($14.99 or less) and not full price 3D ($27.99), I see what you guys are saying by better than nothing. At least they were being fair with the price comparative to the conversion.

I wonder how sales were for the auto 3D computer conversions of I Robot 3D, Gamer 3D, Jumper 3D and Predator 3D as I haven't heard anymore of these 3D auto conversions being announced since.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:42 AM   #1357
Special Member

Oct 2008

It's important to note that calling them automatic 3D conversions are misleading. There were humans involved - the automatic tool ran through it and separated elements and made depth guesses, which the people then refined/corrected. It's way, way better than actual automatic conversion like in a TV set or German disc.
Thanks given by:
levcore (03-10-2016), Paul H (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 02:10 AM   #1358
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
It's important to note that calling them automatic 3D conversions are misleading. There were humans involved - the automatic tool ran through it and separated elements and made depth guesses, which the people then refined/corrected. It's way, way better than actual automatic conversion like in a TV set or German disc.
I watched it again, and considering the amount of detail to separate, that was impressive even if it was in mostly mild 3D with a computer that figured it out based possibly on movement analysis of each frame, thanks for the info. I didn't realize the humans went back in and made adjustments after the computer aside from those few stand out 3D shots. Good to know, thanks.
Old Yesterday, 04:11 AM   #1359

Jan 2010
Upstate NY

hi.
I watched this on my new tv (in my sig) but 2nd time for me. have to say it looked fantastic. right now a lot of people complaining about the 3D performance on said TV's. to me looks like a hit and miss on some titles. was hardly any crosstalk, depth perception was awesome. I did notice a few white scenes, distance scenes, looked weird but didn't detract from movie for me.
65" SONY 930D HDR 4K 3D TV, SAMSUNG UBD-K8500 4K Blue Ray PlayerHTC Vive
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM   #1360

Nov 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeInPlease View Post
When Theatrical films stop being shown in 3D/IMAX 3D , THEN i'll stop buying/demanding Blurays in 3D.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies