Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$57.99
12 min ago
You Only Live Twice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
4 hrs ago
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
5 hrs ago
A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #61

Oct 2008
Send a message via ICQ to Spitfrnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmort View Post
Most movies coming out nowadays are terrible enough without being based off of video games.
Sadly that is quite true.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #62

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
So why not just watch a movie? If I play a game, if the actual gameplay sucks, no storyline in the world is compelling enough to make up for that. I loved Ninja Gaiden as a kid, and the then-unique cut scenes between levels were a neat novelty, but I didn't play the game just for them.
I guess saying I "grew tired of games" isn't quite true, but I really hold out for only the absolute best games nowadays.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy playing games if they have a good story, but while playing the Last of Us, I just kept thinking how bored I get playing games without stories now. If the gameplay on a game with great story is terrible, no, I won't play it, but the Last of Us had both great story and great gameplay, so it worked out.

And, like I was saying, I think really, really top notch game stories can actually be better than movies. So I spend most of my time watching movies, but when an incredible game comes along, I definitely give it a chance.

Also, I played Ninja Gaiden way back when too, and if you haven't played the Last of Us, I don't think you understand how big of a difference there is between those two sets of cutscenes. Ninja Gaiden cutscenes were straaaange.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #63
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
Out there...past the trees...

Just finished playing The Last of Us. The story was really the one thing that kept me going on it. Sure, the game looks great and has good controls, but I found the stealth/combat frustrating a times, because it is inherently designed to be difficult and realistic. Ultimately though, because the game has good characters that I could care for, and I wanted to see what would happen next. Isn't that what all good stories should be like?

I Am Legend can eat its heart out.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #64
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Raleigh, NC

Video game writing and storytelling is largely horrendous. It has improved somewhat this generation but it's still mostly tripe. I play a lot of games.

Last edited by jamesdevil; 07-01-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #65

Jan 2012
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdevil View Post
Video game writing and storytelling is largely horrendous. It has improved somewhat this generation but it's still mostly triple. I play a lot of games.
Agreed. There's some exceptions of course, but to answer the topic...hell no. It almost goes without saying that books will obviously always be number one, but video games pale in comparison to film. I am a huge gamer as well and I feel like these comments are made by gamers trying to tell everyone that their hobby is better and smarter than some give it credit for (and this is true to a point)....but there are very few games out there with a story on par with a film.

Bioshock is a favorite example of gamers and while it has a very good story in comparison to other video games, it is nothing special realistically. Good for a game doesn't translate to being superior to film.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies