Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$57.99
11 min ago
You Only Live Twice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
4 hrs ago
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
5 hrs ago
A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Old 03-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #81
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

DVD Beaver review - Gary notes that they used the MPEG-2 codec, not VC-1, unlike Dark Night of the Scarecrow, which looked beautiful. I know nothing about the subject, is MPEG-2 a cheaper choice? You'd think with all the effort that went into the packaging and extras that they'd want to ensure that the transfer looked the best it could.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #82
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
DVD Beaver review - Gary notes that they used the MPEG-2 codec, not VC-1, unlike Dark Night of the Scarecrow, which looked beautiful. I know nothing about the subject, is MPEG-2 a cheaper choice? You'd think with all the effort that went into the packaging and extras that they'd want to ensure that the transfer looked the best it could.
Unless I got a different release there is nothing special about this packaging. They didn't even include a booklet.

Various: "Can you kill it?" "I believe something can." "A monster?" "No...a god."

Godzilla Asia Trailer (2014)
Old 03-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #83
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlost1 View Post
Unless I got a different release there is nothing special about this packaging. They didn't even include a booklet.
I guess I meant the overall presentation, although a booklet would have been cool, as Scarecrow had one.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #84
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2011
Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Forever Knight Send a message via MSN to Forever Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Forever Knight

My copy will arrive next week.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #85
Blu-ray reviewer

Aug 2009
-

Gorgo Blu-ray Review
Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #86
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

I have always loved this flick and this is by far and away the best it has ever looked despite the horrendous use of the "optical" fog that looks so fake. What really stands out is the cinematography by Freddie Young during the destruction of London. The lighting works so well with the models, which look very good and the creature suits are well-done (be sure to check out the extras, which are fantastic, and see the suit that was worn by the stunt person that had the feet cut off because they were too heavy when walking through water. a funny photo). Loved the music as well and who doesn't like that touching ending. Lourie said in an interview that he always wanted to make a film like this where the monster would win and he certainly did. There is a great write up of Gorgo in Bill Warren's two volume anthology on 1950's sci/fi films Keep Watching The Skies.
EQUIPMENT:Panasonic TH-65PZ850U plasma
OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Onkyo PR-SC5507P-Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-2 Mythos 4 (l/r)-1 Mythos 8 (c)-2 Mythos BPX (sides)-2 NHT Super Zero (rears)-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor-Xbox 360 Elite-Roku 3 streaming player-DVDO Edge, Darbeevision Darblet

Last edited by ewsjr; 03-29-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #87
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2011
Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Forever Knight Send a message via MSN to Forever Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Forever Knight

He has cometh!

Old 07-13-2014, 05:50 AM   #88

Apr 2009
METRO NY AREA, LONG ISLAND, NORTH SHORE

LOVE IT, in ALL of it's KING BROTHER, SIGNATURE, garrish-colored, transfer MAGNIFICENCE !

A LOT of nostalgia for me about this film !
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America