Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Here Comes the Devil (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: What is your favourite Friday the 13th film(s)?
Friday the 13th (1980) 221 24.89%
Friday the 13th Part II 203 22.86%
Friday the 13th Part 3 3D 128 14.41%
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter 291 32.77%
Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning 59 6.64%
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason lives 225 25.34%
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood 90 10.14%
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan 58 6.53%
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday 39 4.39%
Jason X 78 8.78%
Freddy Vs. Jason 93 10.47%
Friday the 13th (2009) 60 6.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 888. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #8801
Nostromo Nostromo is offline
Senior Member
 
Nostromo's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
123
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_JP View Post
Absurd.



This man gets it.

Plus, The best part about making your own copy is you can optimize it for exactly what YOU need. The exact resolution you need for the playback device you intend to use, the exact filesize (if you're willing to make trade-offs elsewhere), etc...

I've seen dozens of homemade rips from many different sources and have yet to find one that comes even close to a professionally produced DC. I used to work for a studio when I lived in Los Angeles. Sorry but the resources of a professional production company will trounce a what consumer can do any day of the week.

Sure, there will always be exceptions, but a team of professionals who are highly trained in their specific fields will generally speaking produce results far beyond what the average consumer can do.

Last edited by Nostromo; 02-22-2014 at 08:24 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #8802
Lyle_JP Lyle_JP is online now
Special Member
 
Apr 2008
653
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
Sure, there will always be exceptions, but a team of professionals who are highly trained in their specific fields will generally speaking produce results far beyond what the average consumer can do.
I'll put up any of my rips against the pro stuff. I own about 60 films through iTunes Digital Copy. My blu-ray rips for my phone looks identical.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:20 AM   #8803
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_JP View Post
I'll put up any of my rips against the pro stuff. I own about 60 films through iTunes Digital Copy. My blu-ray rips for my phone looks identical.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
I've seen dozens of homemade rips from many different sources and have yet to find one that comes even close to a professionally produced DC. I used to work for a studio when I lived in Los Angeles. Sorry but the resources of a professional production company will trounce a what consumer can do any day of the week.

Sure, there will always be exceptions, but a team of professionals who are highly trained in their specific fields will generally speaking produce results far beyond what the average consumer can do.
Shout Factory can't even author a blu-ray without compression issues. I'm not getting into a discussion here about that but those who have seen their compression issues and have discussed them on this site know what I refer to. So even legitimate companies can have problems with video encoding, if they don't know what they're doing. Shout Factory certainly has compression issues.

I have seen, and made myself for my media player, very high-quality rips that are very difficult to distinguish from a true bluray. Throw in 18,000 - 20,000 Kbps for a bitrate and some proper custom quality settings into Handbrake or VidCoder (both free) and you're going to get a fantastic-looking rip, far better than an itunes digital copy. In fact, as I've already mentioned, you can use MakeMKV and losslessly rip a blu-ray to mkv with zero quality loss. Lossless = no loss in quality. But even encoding can give amazing results if you have a clue what you're doing and willing to wait 12 hours to do a good encode.

You act like the digital copies we get from studios have quality in mind. Have you actually seen the bitrate of a 720p iTunes file? It averages 3,000 Kbps! Bare minimum for a good quality 720p encode should be around 5,000 Kbps - and that's minimum. iTunes is concerned with mimimal acceptable quality and small file size.

Last edited by mar3o; 02-23-2014 at 04:25 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #8804
Liquid_Swords Liquid_Swords is offline
Special Member
 
Liquid_Swords's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Pacific NW
66
86
3
Default

So some people want the theatrical cut of the first one instead of the uncut version? Just curious why, you think the makeup is too cheesy?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #8805
Lyle_JP Lyle_JP is online now
Special Member
 
Apr 2008
653
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Swords View Post
So some people want the theatrical cut of the first one instead of the uncut version? Just curious why, you think the makeup is too cheesy?
For me, the "above" shot of Kevin Bacon's death completely reveals the gag, whereas the cut in the R-rated version hid the neck-piece well. Also, the final head-chop benefits from being broken up into two shots. When it's on-screen that long in the unrated version, it starts to look not just phony, but comical. The other cuts I could live with or without.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #8806
Rich1983 Rich1983 is offline
Senior Member
 
Rich1983's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
hawaii
137
620
Send a message via Yahoo to Rich1983
Default

The packaging literally starts to fall apart after a while. The cardboard sleeves open up on top and bottom.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #8807
BillieCassin BillieCassin is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
BillieCassin's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
157
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1983 View Post
The packaging literally starts to fall apart after a while. The cardboard sleeves open up on top and bottom.
Who'd have thunk that cardboard would deteriorate more quickly than, say, some other substance they could use. Like, oh, I dunno...maybe plastic?


Joking aside, that's yet another reason I stuck these in a Viva Elite case that holds ten discs in a small space perfectly, all on their individual hubs. Someone posted a great custom cover that replicates the actual one, and I love it.
If you have to whip out a microscope to decide if you like a Blu-ray or not, you are missing the point.

ESSENTIAL STAR WARS READING:
How Disney Bought Lucasfilm
The Special Edition Restoration Process
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #8808
rickah88 rickah88 is online now
Blu-ray Duke
 
rickah88's Avatar
 
May 2010
Columbia, MD
1550
183
2
83
Default

Hmmm, mine is still mint as the day I bought it.

Come to think of it, I have some books that are decades old, that open/close just fine without a speck of wear/tear. But that's just me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #8809
Spooked Spooked is offline
Active Member
 
Spooked's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
217
90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Hmmm, mine is still mint as the day I bought it.

Come to think of it, I have some books that are decades old, that open/close just fine without a speck of wear/tear. But that's just me.
Well, you also don't live in Hawaii.

Maybe the island air isn't so paper-friendly? (Or Rich just watches the films quite a bit more than you. [Which is probably a safe bet, lol]).
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #8810
BluPat BluPat is offline
Power Member
 
BluPat's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Texas
504
68
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Hmmm, mine is still mint as the day I bought it.

Come to think of it, I have some books that are decades old, that open/close just fine without a speck of wear/tear. But that's just me.
Same here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #8811
brian9229 brian9229 is online now
Power Member
 
brian9229's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Burlington, Vermont Steelbooks-78
75
496
55
9
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1983 View Post
The packaging literally starts to fall apart after a while. The cardboard sleeves open up on top and bottom.
Really, weird! I got mine release day and it not only is still mint, the pages still kind of creak when i turn them.(like they do when they're new) I just keep it on a shelf with other movies. Maybe not all of them were glued the same.(obviously)
Samsung Smart LED 3DTV 120hz Model - un40d6420
Panasonic 3D Bluray player Model - DMP-BDT320(Multiregion)
Magnavox Bluray player Model - NB530MGX
Xbox 360 4gb
Monster Hyper3D 1000 HDMI x 3
Monster Powercentre model - HT700
Samsung Active 3D glasses model - SSG-3050GB x 5

FOR TRADE:Pan's Labyrinth Canadian Steelbook sealed/PM me if interested.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #8812
WJWS Channel 13:Amity WJWS Channel 13:Amity is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
WJWS Channel 13:Amity's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
AMITY ISLAND
1068
38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1983 View Post
The packaging literally starts to fall apart after a while. The cardboard sleeves open up on top and bottom.
Well mine is still perfectly mint, so i am not sure what type of enviorment you store yours in, but what you describe is clearly not the case for all.
WJWS AMITY The Station that plays the Hits!

Last edited by WJWS Channel 13:Amity; 04-06-2014 at 11:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:17 AM   #8813
buck135 buck135 is online now
Senior Member
 
Jan 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieCassin View Post
Joking aside, that's yet another reason I stuck these in a Viva Elite case that holds ten discs in a small space perfectly, all on their individual hubs. Someone posted a great custom cover that replicates the actual one, and I love it.
That's what I did with this and all other collections like it (Bond, Star Wars, Alien, Battle Royale, Kubrick, Dark Knight, Universal Monsters, etc).
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #8814
Muyfa666 Muyfa666 is offline
Member
 
Jan 2013
Default

I just ordered this set even thou I'm really bothered by the R-rated JGTH.

I understand that most digital copies are unrated thou.

Without skimming through hundreds of forums pages, can anyone tell me what the best way to get a Unrated HD-encoded digital copy of JGTH would be? iTunes? Vudu? Since I'm not in USA, most streaming services does not work for me.

DRM free would be nice, but is that even possible?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #8815
notops notops is offline
Active Member
 
notops's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
The Black Lodge
517
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyfa666 View Post
I just ordered this set even thou I'm really bothered by the R-rated JGTH.

I understand that most digital copies are unrated thou.

Without skimming through hundreds of forums pages, can anyone tell me what the best way to get a Unrated HD-encoded digital copy of JGTH would be? iTunes? Vudu? Since I'm not in USA, most streaming services does not work for me.

DRM free would be nice, but is that even possible?
Definitely Vudu.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #8816
Muyfa666 Muyfa666 is offline
Member
 
Jan 2013
Default

So vudu? Will that still work outside USA?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #8817
franken_psycho1990 franken_psycho1990 is offline
Senior Member
 
franken_psycho1990's Avatar
 
Dec 2013
The Forbidden Zone
147
13
2
Default

Well, shake it up baby now (shake it up baby)
Twist and shout (twist and shout)
Come on, come on, come on, come on baby now (come on, baby)
Come on and work it on out (work it on out)
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #8818
Eny- Eny- is offline
Special Member
 
Dec 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
10
1121
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyfa666 View Post
So vudu? Will that still work outside USA?
It won't. You need a proxy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:48 AM   #8819
Hek_qwerr Hek_qwerr is online now
Senior Member
 
Hek_qwerr's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
59
Default

Im thinking of getting the set at my bestbuy tomorrow but read some reviews on wbshop saying the discs scratch easy from that packaging,can anyone confirm this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:51 AM   #8820
visualsynth visualsynth is offline
Expert Member
 
visualsynth's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Pennsylvania
3
395
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hek_qwerr View Post
Im thinking of getting the set at my bestbuy tomorrow but read some reviews on wbshop saying the discs scratch easy from that packaging,can anyone confirm this?
Bought a copy from best buy when it was released and the discs were scratched. I was lucky enough to get my money back. Some have had no issues but others including myself have had bad luck with these discs due to the poor packaging.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:03 PM.