Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08

Odds Against Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
Ghost World (Blu-ray)
$18.29
22 hrs ago
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Purge: Election Year (Blu-ray)
$5.99

The Unnamable (Blu-ray)
$24.96
11 hrs ago
Jurassic Park (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The LEGO Ninjago Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 03-08-2018, 05:06 AM   #20021
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRochester View Post
I would LOVE to buy nothing but domestic releases for every movie that I have but the thing is that nowadays we are never sure if a movie is ever going to surface here or not, so I am forced to import a lot of titles. The Day of the Jackal is one of my all time favourite movies and I'm not going to sit around waiting for Universal / Criterion / Shout to release it so I am forced to import. It's not like the days of DVD where pretty much everything came out.
I'm just guessing that "The Day of the Jackal" will come from Shout given how they've been tapping into Universal's catalog and, given that Arrow typically beats Shout with encoding, importing that disc was a no-brainer. Also, I am quick to import anything that is with Paramount, Lionsgate, or HBO domestically given they release almost zero catalog titles in North America. I recently picked up "The Ghost and the Darkness" from Germany and, while the disc is mediocre, it's a huge step up from the atrocious DVD and it's, unfortunately, a Paramount title. I'll probably import "Volunteers" from Germany because it's an HBO title.
Top 10 Most Wanted on Blu-Ray: 1) After Hours 2) Bringing Out the Dead 3) Bob Roberts 4) O Lucky Man 5) California Split 6) The Music of Chance 7) The Limey 8) Brewster McCloud 9) The Hitcher (1986) 10) Straight Time
Old 03-08-2018, 05:07 AM   #20022

Jun 2011
West Des Moines, IA

Mafia! and a Sonnenfeld commentary? Hell yes!
Old 03-08-2018, 05:11 AM   #20023
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino Lorber Insider View Post
We asked for the 2 Hot Shots movies the last time we did a deal with Fox and will ask for them again if and when we do another deal with them.
Nice. I understand the existing blu releases of these films suffer from older DNR'd masters and hope you will have access to superior materials if you're given a chance to release them. And also, it might be hard getting a straight interview from Charlie Sheen these days
Thanks given by:
robtadrian (03-18-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:24 AM   #20024
Expert Member

Dec 2012
Silicon Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek1992 View Post
Yep, I'm from the UK and have a few dozen imports. Titles such as Curtains and The Stendhal Syndrome haven't been released here in the UK. In the latter's case it's been almost a decade since the US release. No way I'm gonna wait 10+ years for a potential UK release.

If the titles are region locked I can understand not everyone has a region free player but when the title is region free and you can get it for a decent price I don't see why one wouldn't go for it. Titles like Candyman and Beverly Hills Cop II have been out here for ages but I still see US folk wondering when they're gonna a blu-ray release. Its fine that they want a US release but how long are they willing to wait is the question?
Instead of region-free modding my Oppo, I rip locked imports and stream them.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #20025
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino Lorber Insider View Post
It's not the review that we had an issue with, it was attacking Scott Glenn and what followed. As you can see we didn't respond to it initially, till it kind of got out of hand.
Are you Scott Glenn??
Thanks given by:
SeanJoyce (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #20026
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by captveg View Post
I would also buy both Hot Shots films via Kino if they were to license them in the future.
Would be a good idea to double feature them (both movies are shortish) and include those spoof making ofs.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #20027
Special Member

Oct 2015
Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDestroyer52 View Post
Same here, I just only recently imported my first Blu and that was the Fox region-free Niagara .
Was it the UK release you bought? Does it have better PQ than the US disc, or any extras? Just curious as to what made you go with an international release over the US as I’ve been considering buying it myself.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #20028
Expert Member

Aug 2016
Eastern Maryland
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlouisbarrett View Post
Was it the UK release you bought? Does it have better PQ than the US disc, or any extras? Just curious as to what made you go with an international release over the US as I’ve been considering buying it myself.
Yes, the UK version. Price since both are non-existent on bonuses. It will be a few weeks before I get ahold of my copy. I also see that the Bus Stop UK region free version is cheaper than ours too.
Always so many BluRays. Never enough money.

Movies that need a US BluRay release: Roman Holiday, The Lost Weekend, Ruggles of Red Gap, A Night at the Opera,The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, The Naked City, Brute Force

Last edited by StarDestroyer52; 03-08-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #20029
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight View Post
Andre deToth.
Crime Wave has one of Bronson's/Buchinsky's meatiest early roles - "(I stole the car keys) out of your coat pocket, chump!" - and is a taut, tough little noir that I wish WAC would upgrade to BD. It's populated with many of the usual suspects - Sterling Hayden, Timothy Carey, eccentric Good Ol' Boy Dub Taylor (who gives us a brief rendition of ''S Wonderful'), Ted de Corsia - and boasts some terrific LA location shooting.
Thanks given by:
ArnoldLayne56 (03-08-2018), billy pilgrim (03-08-2018), mja345 (03-08-2018), nitin (03-08-2018), plateoshrimp (03-08-2018), robtadrian (03-18-2018), The Great Owl (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 06:36 PM   #20030
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
NYC

Has there yet to be a definitive “no” on the prospect of Kino doing ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST? I can’t remember.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #20031
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2016
brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaide View Post
Has there yet to be a definitive “no” on the prospect of Kino doing ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST? I can’t remember.
the Paramount blu-ray just got reissued last September, i have the one from 2011 and it is very good despite the desaturated cover art
Thanks given by:
jshaide (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #20032
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by painiac View Post
the Paramount blu-ray just got reissued last September, i have the one from 2011 and it is very good despite the desaturated cover art
I think that’s the one I have too.

Fancy seeing you around these parts.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #20033
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2016
brooklyn

Quote:
I think that’s the one I have too.

Fancy seeing you around these parts.
i'm back, baby
Thanks given by:
jshaide (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #20034
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
NYC

Oh snap there’s a forty second difference between cuts.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #20035
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by painiac View Post
i'm back, baby
Bout time.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #20036
Blu-ray Guru

May 2013
Eastern CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja345 View Post
Maybe the reluctance to import has to do with some people being region-locked and worrying if a disc is not region free. Not sure, because importing is easy and, particularly from the UK and Germany, pretty cheap. Some of my favorite discs I've imported would probably be "Cross of Iron", "Charley Varrick", "Blue Collar", "The Day of the Jackal", "The Silent Partner", "The Naked City", "Smoke", "Match Point", "Peeping Tom", "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning", "Le Trou", the Melville box set, "Extreme Prejudice", "The Long Good Friday", "Hands Over the City", "Il Bidone", and "Kind Hearts and Coronets". Importing is a great solution to finding some titles that may never be put out in the States, and likewise for people importing discs from the US that aren't available abroad.
I'm not region-free, so the only imports I own are region A discs. Some of them I ordered from Amazon (US), so I didn't really import them, someone else did Some of them I ordered from Amazon UK, and I got Cross of Iron from Amazon Japan. It's pretty easy to get these types of discs when available, but these days I prefer to wait for the US release. Lord knows there are more than enough domestic releases to spend my money on.
Current pre-orders:
05/21/2018: Five Tall Tales: Budd Boetticher & Randolph Scott At Columbia

Most wanted blu ray release: Bringing Up Baby
Old 03-09-2018, 05:33 AM   #20037
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012

A couple of sale pickups:

The unbelievably awkwardly titled Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend was one of Disney's problematic attempts to update their family fare for an audience that increasingly avoided films with the Walt Disney logo (it was released by Disney’s ‘adult’ label Touchstone with a much more deserved PG rating). On one level it’s an apparently family-friendly Gorgo-esque tale of Sean Young and William Katt discovering a would-be cute baby dinosaur in the African jungle and trying to protect it from Patrick McGoohan’s ruthless palaeontologist, but it’s also set in a much more realistic Africa than you’d have seen had Uncle Walt been calling the shots, rife with civil war, dictatorships, corruption and violence. Think E.T. with AK47s. When Baby’s pop gets machine-gunned to death by government troops and carrion picks at the carcass, it’s certainly a reminder that executive producer Roger Spottiswoode cut his teeth as one of Sam Peckinpah’s editors on Straw Dogs and The Getaway (Spottiswoode’s vision for the film may have been even darker – he was originally pegged to direct as well before ‘creative differences’ led to him being replaced before shooting).

Unfortunately, undercutting the realism is Baby itself. While the Mokele Mobembe, Africa’s own land-based Loch Ness Monster, may be a dinosaur, it’s not one of the really cool ones like a meat-eating Tyrannosaurus Rex, Allosaurus or Velociraptor but a Brontosaurus (the name’s back in fashion now it’s been decided that the Apatosaurus is a different species), famed for lumbering along while chomping on the local flora and fauna. To make matters worse, since this is pre-CGi, and with stop-motion too complicated for the difficult Ivory Coast jungle locations and Jurassic Park technology still a long way off, that means animatronics and men in rubber suits. While the grown-up critters just about pass muster, junior is a particularly unconvincing bit of rubber and latex with big eyes and limited expression…

As a result the film is particularly schizophrenic as it hovers between the realistic and the ridiculous: it’s too violent for the grownups and the beastie’s too childish for the teens, though enough of it does work that it still manages to score some points as it veers between sporadically guilty pleasure and decently crafted adventure that it’s curiously hard to dislike. Jerry Goldsmith’s score is an interesting bridge between his work on Legend and his subsequent score for Rambo: First Blood Part II, with some good action cues and a fine, albeit brief, fanfare for the dinosaurs. And you do get to see the writer of Gosford Park and Downton Abbey chased by an angry momma dinosaur…

Kino’s Region A-locked Bluray offers a modest upgrade in picture quality from Mill Creek’s deleted region-free release – it appears to be the same master with a slightly better encode, with the same somewhat tinny sound on the end credits (though unlike Mill Creek’s release, which cut off the final crescendo a bit abruptly, this time the final fanfare in the end credits is intact). Unlike Mill Creek’s disc, it includes the original trailer and new interviews with director Bill Norton and William Katt, with the emphasis on the rigors of the location shoot (Katt revealing that Norton had to direct parts of the film from a stretcher after finding “worms in his pooh”).

Occupying equally undeserved slots in the original Fifty Worst Movies of All Time and Complex Magazine’s 50 Best Blaxploitation Films of All Time, Trouble Man has all the ingredients for a decent genre outing but fall flat for far too much of its running time. The plot and setup are certainly promising enough. Robert Hooks’ stone cold fixer rights wrongs and does favours from his throne in a pool room until he’s approached by Paul Winfield and Ralph Waite’s hustlers who want him to find out who’s ripping off their floating crap games – which quickly turns into a murder that leads to a gang war with the local Mr Big, with Mr T in the crosshairs of both the cops and Julius Harris’ Big (he doesn’t bother with the Mister). Which, in the hands of Hogan’s Heroes co-star turned director Ivan Dixon plays out a lot less interestingly than it should.

While there’s nothing especially terrible about the film apart from Waite’s performance and wardrobe, it’s woefully short on energy for its first 56 minutes and even once Mr T gets round to permanently taking care of business, Dixon takes the scenic route – sometimes literally, as in a sequence where he clearly fell so in love with the architecture of the then-new Century City that Hooks, having just vowed instant righteous vengeance, spends a minute-and-a-half just walking through it before getting down to a couple of minutes more stalking and infiltration when on his way to the final showdown, which slows the momentum way down. There’s enough action in the last half hour to keep it from dragging too much but it’s no surprise that Marvin Gaye’s score – his only one – is better remembered than the film. Dixon went on to do some good work as a director in 70s TV shows like The Rockford Files that showed a better sense of pacing and energy, but this is one of those films that gives you just enough reason to keep on watching but not enough to ever feel like watching it again. File under one-and-done.

Kino Lorber’s Region A-locked Bluray offers a for the most part decent but not outstanding widescreen transfer (though there is one weird moment of video blur in an early pool hall shot) with audio commentary by Nathaniel Thompson and Howard S. Berger, original trailer minus titles and narration and trailers for Cotton Comes to Harlem, Across 110th Street and Report to the Commissioner and the five-minute exhibitors’ showreel for Truck Turner as extras.
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."
Thanks given by:
belcherman (03-09-2018), billy pilgrim (03-09-2018), Jobla (03-09-2018), mja345 (03-09-2018), oildude (03-10-2018), solovoyager (03-11-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #20038
Power Member

Feb 2013

I had a cart ready but a few "real life" things got in the way of me participating in the sale this time.

Next sale, though... I will be ready!
Old 03-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #20039
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012

Quote:
Does anyone honestly want Kino to handle more important Spaghetti westerns?
Thanks given by:
Cremildo (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #20040

Jul 2017

Are there issues with the current release of “Once Upon a Time in the West” that need to be fixed? I’m unfamiliar with problems with that release.
Thanks given by:
atfree (03-09-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors