COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$17.98
HD Aviation: 100 Years of Flight (Blu-ray)
$12.98
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.78
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$22.98
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #241

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Siegel View Post
Steve, funny I finished mine today as well, it's a load of fun to do these, I just won't accept the awful art that came with all the sensurround films. I like yours, mine may be too busy. It is for some reason showing up here a little blurry and dark as well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Thanks Rob. I agree, its fun to make these especially for a movie you are so passionate about. I like your design as well. The art you used for the front cover looks better than mine as its better suited for the dimensions of a blu-ray cover. It's more horizontal, than vertical like mine. I also like that you included the stars photos from the one sheet. I was tempted to utilize them in my design, but passed after I finalized the layout. Maybe someday I'll make another version and incorprate them in that design

I wish Universal would release the AIRPORT sequels on blu...I aready have my custom fronts done
Old 06-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #242

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixen of the Night View Post
The cover looks awesome and is an exact copy of the theatrical poster. So it's fine with me, text and all.

Great work!
Thanks Vixen...I appreciate it!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #243
Special Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev210 View Post
Thanks Rob. I agree, its fun to make these especially for a movie you are so passionate about. I like your design as well. The art you used for the front cover looks better than mine as its better suited for the dimensions of a blu-ray cover. It's more horizontal, than vertical like mine. I also like that you included the stars photos from the one sheet. I was tempted to utilize them in my design, but passed after I finalized the layout. Maybe someday I'll make another version and incorporate them in that design

I wish Universal would release the AIRPORT sequels on blu...I aready have my custom fronts done
Steve,

I agree, tons of fun to design when you're into a movie so much, I have fond memories of Earthquake and don't count myself in with the group that calls it a bomb (Leonard Maltin I believe called it a bomb in his movies book). Thanks for the compliments. Actually I like your cover, it really makes a very direct statement, and after all that was the one sheet, and I so believe in one sheets being the cover of a Blu-ray, time and money was spent on those designs which were approved by studio heads, in my opinion they are part of the movie. I went a little off the one sheet with my art for Earthquake, but it's one of those cases where I started and couldn't stop haha.

I agree with you about the Airport series. The people in Universal's Home Video marketing department are sound asleep. They have the potential to release a great Psycho set with all of the Psycho films, a great Airport set with the four films, a great Sensurround collection, a great 70's/80's musicals collection (Best Little *****house in Texas, Xanadu, The Wiz, Pirates of Penzance, Jesus Christ Superstar), a great 60's musical collection (Thoroughly Modern Millie, Flower Drum Song, and Sweet Charity) and a great set of the 4 Jaws films. Sadly, of all the films I mentioned, only 7 out of 24 are available and I believe all of them would sell. Universal hasn't even touched its musical library.

It seems to be one missed opportunity after the next. I remember when Thoroughly Modern Millie was turned into a Broadway musical, Universal still didn't release the movie on DVD until after its Broadway run. To me that is just bad marketing. It should have come out the day the musical premiered on Broadway. And this continues with Universal. When they do decide to do something, at least they do it right most of the time (Jaws, The Sting, Smokey and the Bandit, E.T., Psycho, Jurassic Park, ect).

I think they did a decent job with the sensurround movies. Earthquake looks very good for its age, and the sound is incredible, I never heard the main title theme sound so good, not even on the out-of-print CD. Midway is a good transfer as well, though I wish the bass .1 channel had been stronger, and Galactica has some great bass with a surprisingly stunning picture for being a TV movie. But where is Rollercoaster? Obviously they released the sensurround films as a group since all 3 came out within a week of each other (Galactica being a Best Buy exclusive), so why not go all the way and release Rollercoaster and put all four films into a nice box set with a great sensurround-based cover, and include an extras disc with new extras for all of the films (especially Earthquake which has never been granted any extras but a trailer, which we don't even get on the Blu-ray) including more on Sensurround. There are many people that could have been interviewed for a great feature-length documentary on the sound system.

Last edited by Robert Siegel; 06-26-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:11 AM   #244
Special Member

Aug 2007

Here are my Midway and Galactica sensurround covers.

Last edited by Robert Siegel; 06-26-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #245

Jul 2011

WOW, Robert amazing job on Battlestar and Midway (and Earthquake). Your covers are a HUGE improvement over what Universal officially released. I just don't understand why studios deem fit to use some cheap Photoshop rush job when they have access to so many amazing paintings (one sheets) that were used for their original marketing campaign when the respective movies were initially released.

As a kid, I have fond memories of seeing the "epic" disaster movies back in the 70's. "Poseidon Adventure", "Towering Inferno", "Earthquake", "Airport '75", "Airport '77", etc. And you are spot on when alluded to the Home Entertainment division of Universal being "asleep at the wheel". These 20/30 somethings who weren't born when so many of the studio's hits released during the 60's and 70's just don't understand the market place and the demand for these movies to finally make it to blu-ray. I thought for sure we'd see the "Jaws" sequels released on blu-ray this summer. And I was recently in Walmart and saw the "Airport" collection repackaged for $9.99-the repackaging date on the back read 2013. You think they would have forgone re-releasing the films yet again on DVD and given consumers blu-ray versions. I just don't understand them throwing money into DVD when sales of blu-ray far out pace DVD these days.

Well, I guess there's still hope that someone will tap into their vault of gems and get these films on a high def format.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #246

Jul 2011

For the peeps that preferred the cover without the text on the front : ) If you want a copy PM me. This version I uploaded has reduced resolution to keep the file size smaller.

Last edited by steev210; 06-26-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #247
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Watched this earlier, it's not a bad effort at all. The sharpening is obvious but once the quake hits, the generational loss in the various opticals tend to lessen the effect, as does the shift to nighttime so there's less in the way of hard contrasts for the edge halos to congregate around. The colour is a bit pallid but seeing as this is an old transfer of an old element, probably an IP, it holds up very well indeed with crisp detail and solid blacks.

I liked the sound too, there's a fair bit of oomph in the 5.1 mix and the separation of John Williams' score is lovely. It's got loud bass rather than deep bass, but it's still appreciated on a movie called Earthquake, and I thought it was much more effective than the bass in Battlestar Galactica which was used very sparingly.

Okay Universal, that's two decent catalogue releases, what's going on? When you're hot you're hot!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America