Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
West Side Story (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Bodacious Space Pirates: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.95
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
A Certain Scientific Railgun: Complete Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$16.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #61

Dec 2008
Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to DRC72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo68 View Post
I get the whole "I bought a surround system and I want things in surround" argument. But the truth is the new mix on The Terminator misses the mark in a few key scenes. It's not totally bad but the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" really applies here. I don't mind a new mix as long as the original is treated with the respect and care it deserves. I want to experience The Terminator the way 1984 James Cameron wanted me to experience it although I'm not sure how much 2014 James Cameron is involved with the Blu-ray releases. He may be pulling a bit of a Lucas on us..
Concurred.... That's why I suggested the original mono tracks should always be included along side the newly remastered 5.1 tracks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
Must... resist... urge... to... comment.................
Is your tongue bleeding yet lol?????
Hitachi 50 Inch Plasma TV 1080p HD
Sony BDP-S550 - Blu-ray Player
Pioneer Elite AVS-33 - 7.1 Home Theater Receiver
Sony Playstation 3 - Gaming Console
Klipsch SW10 Powered Subwoofer

New home theater pics coming soon.

Last edited by DRC72; 06-12-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #62

Apr 2011
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
I usually watch my Bond films with their original mixes, even though they are lossy. Especially for OHMSS.
The same is true for MOONRAKER. The original 2.0 Dolby Mix and the first 5.1 mix are gone. The mixes that were used for the laserdiscs and first DVDs were much better than what is used on the Blu-rays. The Surround info is almost gone as well as the bass. This flattening of the sound has become very typical when newer masters are done for HD and ported over to Blu. The same is true for XANDAU and FLASH GORDON. XANDAU originally had a 4.0 mix with great surround. FLASH GORDON's 2.0 mix was much more open and the stereo was wide with excellent surround info - no all that is gone.
Paramount had screwed up STAR TREK III years ago when it first released it in 5.1, but that was quickly fixed.
I know the producer of SUPERMAN: THE MOIVE and tried to work with WB to fix the new mix on that film as well as to replace the 2.0 mix back to the film. When they did a new 5.1 for the original theatrical edition of SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE they just flattened down the 5.1 but there are different volumes levels and even different sound effects now. When they did go back to find the original mix they relied on some idiot that didn't understand that what they had found wasn't a complete mix and it was out of phase causing dialog to leak out into the surround.
I was on the phone with this guy and when out of my way to procure a Laserdisc copy to duplicate as a reference for him - he wouldn't even bother to listen. The producer of the film gave up trying to deal with this because the guy WB had chosen was so annoying and stupid.
It's very annoying that a new generation of idiots have entered the picture who don't do their homework and research and are producing product that ruins the original work and artistry of those who created them.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #63
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
I actually do have that laserdisc! You might have a problem syncing that track to the Blu-ray master. Near the end of the movie, an extra line of dialog can be heard in the Ultimate Edition DVD and now the Blu-ray. It is "His brotherhood also have exotic ways to keep it a closed shop" and is said by Blofeld.
Doesn't the laserdisc also lack the line, "Told you that crowd might discourage them"? Or does that line not involve any additional screen time (Bond's off camera when he says it)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucerful View Post
Fair enough. Like I've said before, if it's an upmix, I can deal with it. It's including new information just to "fill up" the surround sound that I find to be a little offensive in its revisionism. And even aside from the purist argument, I've watched films that I've never seen before and still noticed the sound effects were off. The first time I ever watched Vertigo (I blind bought the Universal Legacy Series DVD several years ago) and I knew right away. I thought to myself "there's no way those footsteps were recorded in 1958".
Vertigo was definitely my "come to Jesus" event with regards to remixed audio tracks. Never having heard the original mono, I also found it blatantly obvious that I was hearing 1996 sound effects (and too loud at that). I hate to imagine how distracting it might've been had I been familiar with the original track.

Now, courtesy of the miracle of blu-ray, we have a much better 5.1 remix, plus the option of the original track (albeit lossy), and that abomination has been banished to the land of wind and shadows.

I ain't too all-fire crazy about that damned Jaws 5.1 track either. Or The Terminator.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #64
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
Default The Original Audio Track Appreciation Thread

Quote:
I get the whole "I bought a surround system and I want things in surround" argument. But the truth is the new mix on The Terminator misses the mark in a few key scenes. It's not totally bad but the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" really applies here. I don't mind a new mix as long as the original is treated with the respect and care it deserves. I want to experience The Terminator the way 1984 James Cameron wanted me to experience it although I'm not sure how much 2014 James Cameron is involved with the Blu-ray releases. He may be pulling a bit of a Lucas on us..
Cameron (or at least his production company) still signs off on the audio and video elements used for home video releases. He's a lot like Lucas in one respect, having become more enamoured with the technology needed to make movies than with the movies themselves.

And, like Lucas, he now regards his earlier work as a technical embarassment, given what he's done with his later movies, so I'm not surprised that he rebuilt the audio for The Terminator from top to bottom when given the opportunity with the early noughties' SE DVD release.

Last edited by Geoff D; 06-12-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Thanks given by:
Ray_Rogers (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #65
Power Member

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
LOL!!! No prob man, and I agree with your post. If the studios did an all out audio revamp of older movies with a bunch of noticeable new effects, then I can certainly understand why the purists get upset. I see no issue with adding the original mono tracks as a second option on older blu-rays. Another reason why they could be left out is to save space on the blu leaving more data for video and lossless 5.1 audio? I mean how much space would a mono track take up on average? At a minimum it should be at least a lossless mono track.
I believe a 24-bit mono track would take about 700-800 MB for an average movie. In any event it would be about 1 GB for a mono track and maybe 2 GB for a stereo track. In an era where 50 GB discs usually have 33 GB taken by the audio and video, an extra GB will make no difference. It is just laziness or deliberate omission that causes this.

Heck, the HK release of Red Cliff fits 3 7.1 mixes (PCM, TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA) and a killer video transfer on a 50 GB disc so a Bond movie would have plenty of room for a DTS-HD MA mono track.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #66
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhcr View Post
I believe a 24-bit mono track would take about 700-800 MB for an average movie. In any event it would be about 1 GB for a mono track and maybe 2 GB for a stereo track. In an era where 50 GB discs usually have 33 GB taken by the audio and video, an extra GB will make no difference. It is just laziness or deliberate omission that causes this.

Heck, the HK release of Red Cliff fits 3 7.1 mixes (PCM, TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA) and a killer video transfer on a 50 GB disc so a Bond movie would have plenty of room for a DTS-HD MA mono track.
What about LPCM as Criterion most often does?
My DVD Collection (Keeping it separate.)
Importer supporter. & Multi-Region Capable!
The Other Stuff +132 BD's
Film grain and original cinematic audio advocate. Anti-DNR/EE. To hell with DVD, UV & Digital Copy combos. Gimme Blu-ray disc ONLY!
Old 06-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #67
Power Member

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
What about LPCM as Criterion most often does?
http://www.sounddevices.com/calculator/

According to this, a 48/24 LPCM mono track for a 2hr movie would take up 0.98 GB. There is plenty of space for this track. I honestly think it is not included because it is assumed people want multichannel remixes, or they are included in lossy format to make the remix sound better. There is absolutely no excuse to not include these, especially when you have access to the film elements.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #68
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Yep, there's really no excuse to leave off the mono tracks these days. And even with all of the additional language tracks on modern 'one size' releases, there's enough room for a lossless mono option.

The message is clear though: the studios just don't give a shit.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #69
Expert Member

Jul 2013
Scotland

An unfortunate hatred of original audio (mainly mono, sometimes stereo) has become all-too-prominent a feature of the digital era. "Audiophiles" (inverted commas crucial) bleat on about wanting to enjoy the top-of-the-line sound system they paid for - so go watch any genuine Dolby Digital or DTS multi-channel movie made over the last 15-20 years if that's what you REALLY care about. I care about the film and they way it was originally presented. Alas, many distributors (Warners, most notably) don't give a damn for people like us. Including original audio - even in a lossless state - should be mandatory. I can't enjoy Dirty Harry as it was intended because "audiophiles" and ignorant productions execs insist I suffer their 5.1 remix. Every time we hear an inane "where's my remix" or "yuck, only mono" remark on this (or other) forum(s) it's like a nail in the proverbial coffin.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #70
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
An unfortunate hatred of original audio (mainly mono, sometimes stereo) has become all-too-prominent a feature of the digital era. "Audiophiles" (inverted commas crucial) bleat on about wanting to enjoy the top-of-the-line sound system they paid for - so go watch any genuine Dolby Digital or DTS multi-channel movie made over the last 15-20 years if that's what you REALLY care about. I care about the film and they way it was originally presented. Alas, many distributors (Warners, most notably) don't give a damn for people like us. Including original audio - even in a lossless state - should be mandatory. I can't enjoy Dirty Harry as it was intended because "audiophiles" and ignorant productions execs insist I suffer their 5.1 remix. Every time we hear an inane "where's my remix" or "yuck, only mono" remark on this (or other) forum(s) it's like a nail in the proverbial coffin.
I wouldn't call the majority who are boisterous about this audiophiles (nor would I call myself one). There are a lot of pretend audiophiles on this site, some of whom involve themselves in these discussions. The fact is true audiophiles go to the greatest measures to hear the best out of their content, with the goal being to actually listen as intended. You can say you care, but IMO, unless you are one of those who does this, then you're not really serious about wanting to experience it the way it was originally presented. It's all good to want the original track to be on the disc (I would prefer the option to be available to me as well), however the likelihood your system is set up so you can hear them exactly how they are meant to be is slim. Therefore the sound effects you hear in your home will not be same as the original presentation even if it is on the disc, no matter how much you might want it to be. For example, like I said in my previous post, anyone who doesn't have their room acoustically treated, automatically fails, and is not hearing the presentation as intended
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avp/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #71
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Heh. I don't care how expensive and/or expansive someone's set up is, because the remix for Terminator will still sound NOTHING like the movie that I grew up watching. You (repeatedly) say that our piddly systems are no good. Fine. Even so, the mono mix for Terminator still sounds far more like the movie that I know and love.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #72
Special Member

Oct 2008

The original Black Christmas - the levels are off on the 5.1 mix, and some of the sound is also a bit out of sync with the video. The original mono is included. It's lossy, but so is the surround.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:31 AM   #73
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Australia

I would have thought that since its so easy to include a mono track anyway, that even the "surround sound only" fans would still be curious to check out the orignal audio as a alternative, especially if its so different in terms of sound effects to the 5.1 remix version.

They might not sit down and re-watch the entire thing with mono sound, but they would check it out..
Old 06-15-2014, 05:03 AM   #74
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
West Midlands, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
I would have thought that since its so easy to include a mono track anyway, that even the "surround sound only" fans would still be curious to check out the orignal audio as a alternative, especially if its so different in terms of sound effects to the 5.1 remix version.

They might not sit down and re-watch the entire thing with mono sound, but they would check it out..
Not to mention the fact that mono and stereo tracks take up hardly any space even if they are lossless.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Time to die.
Thanks given by:
Blu-21 (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #75
Expert Member

Feb 2014
Midwest

Yep they just need to leave the original mono/stereo if they want to meet the most of their sales potential. If they want to sell less copies it's their choice.
AUDIO = SB Audigy 2 ZS Soundcard--->Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1 passthrough SPDIF--->Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Decoder. 10-inch, 188 watt sub-woofer. Owned for 8 years and thoroughly satisfied.
VIDEO = Nvidia GTX 560Ti--->DVI--->HDMI--->Acer 5360 - 3D DLP Projector My little baby! - Also 2 Nvidia3D Vision Glasses - On 2nd Bulb! 1st Bulb did 3048 hours, owned for 4 years!

BLU-RAY DRIVE = A Lite-On Blu-Ray 2010. SOFTWARE = Cyberlink PowerDVD 11.0 software on a Windows 7 64-Bit PC.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #76
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
Athens, Greece

i hadn't realized how radical are the changes in the audio of The Terminator, until I saw this!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyk...ack_shortfilms

Music cues missing too?? Seriously??

(check eg. at 0.35'' the original and the new one)

This needs the original audio!
i can't understand how the creators don't respect film history.
Ok, i understand that it's their creations and they can do what they want with it, but the right thing to do would be to include always the original form of a film!

By the way, if the new 5.1 mix had the same effects and music without any altered and new effects, i would be less disappointed, even if the mono wasn't included.
It's another thing to expand a mono or stereo to 5.1 (that means that only the position of the effects is changing and not their quality), and another thing completely to make a new mix with new effects!
Most wanted Blurays: All classic Disney animation films restored to their original look (with grain), without any re-imagining, Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Sissi Trilogy, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Mayerling, Supergirl, Free Willy, Return to Oz, True Lies, Abyss, King Solomon's Mines/Allan Quatermain and the lost city of gold, Death in Venice, Wilde, Ulysses 31, Ducktales, Candy Candy (anime series)

Last edited by filmmusic; 06-15-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #77
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Has anyone discussed Big Trouble in Little China?

The UK arrow release features a 2.0 PCM track as well as a DTS-HD MA 5.1 track (same as the US release 5.1 track). From what I have read on here, is that the 2.0 track is probably from the 35mm print, whereas the 5.1 track has come from the 70mm print (6-track).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090728/...ef_=tt_dt_spec

Is this correct? And are there any differences?

I have both UK and US releases, but I haven't compared the 2.0 track to the 5.1 track, on the UK disc.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #78
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

King of New York, UK Arrow release. Stay away from the 5.1 track. The 2.0 track is superior.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/King-o.../37499/#Review
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #79
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
West Midlands, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
i hadn't realized how radical are the changes in the audio of The Terminator, until I saw this!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyk...ack_shortfilms

Music cues missing too?? Seriously??

(check eg. at 0.35'' the original and the new one)

This needs the original audio!
i can't understand how the creators don't respect film history.
Ok, i understand that it's their creations and they can do what they want with it, but the right thing to do would be to include always the original form of a film!

By the way, if the new 5.1 mix had the same effects and music without any altered and new effects, i would be less disappointed, even if the mono wasn't included.
It's another thing to expand a mono or stereo to 5.1 (that means that only the position of the effects is changing and not their quality), and another thing completely to make a new mix with new effects!
Yup that 5.1 mix is a terrible representation of the movies soundtrack.

If a movie sounds that different between the different audio tracks than the original track should always be included.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Time to die.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #80
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
The original Black Christmas - the levels are off on the 5.1 mix, and some of the sound is also a bit out of sync with the video. The original mono is included. It's lossy, but so is the surround.
Oh, I'd managed to forget about that train wreck.

Quite apart from some of the modern sound effects, the worst is during the
[Show spoiler]"eyeball behind door" scene -- the 5.1 includes music that's not supposed to be there, effectively obliterating one of the scariest moments of the film, when the killer whispers, "Don't tell them what we did, Agnes."
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America