Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
West Side Story (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Bodacious Space Pirates: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.95
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
A Certain Scientific Railgun: Complete Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$16.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #161

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
Was it shown theatrically?
Barely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_sc77 View Post
Looks like SHout did not put much effort into this release at all.
It's about what I expected. The DVDs of both movies were bare-bones, so you're not losing anything there. I don't think either movie has enough of a fanbase to warrant an investment in extras. Shout was handed masters that are probably from 2005 or 2006 but still look alright. I'm pretty certain Shout didn't do their own transfers for any of the films as part of their MGM and Universal deals. I'm not sure what kind of effort you're expecting from them. It's a double feature that's reasonably priced and looks a good bit better than the original DVDs.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #162
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderontherain View Post
For both films (The Hot Spot and Killing Me Softly), if you already have the MGM DVDs and a top notch up-converting DVD player (say, either an Oppo or a Toshiba XA2), I'd reckon this BR release from Shout! is not worth up-grading. It seems neither film has been remastered and--having both on a single disc--bit starved.

For The Hot Spot, I did a side-by-side comparison between the BR (playing on my Oppo 93) and DVD (Toshiba XA2), and found barely noticeable differences in image quality between the two. However, there is indeed a noticeable difference in the color palette of the two presentations, with the BR a few degrees cooler (this is not only a matter of image brightness). Of course, which color scheme one prefers is purely a matter of personal taste.

I cannot vouch for DVD players with sub-par up-converting capabilities though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_sc77 View Post
THanks. This is the word I am trusting.
Looks like SHout did not put much effort into this release at all.
You may be trusting the word, but what is written above isn't true. I am yet to see a DVD release upconverted on a standard 50+ screen that does not break down. Using a projector moves the debate on an entirely different level - the difference is like night and day.

And the statement that the film, or both of them for that matter, are bit-starved is a complete nonsense.

The facts are these:

1. The transfer does come from an older master.
2. No one has tried to do additional digital corrections on it - what is on the transfer was inherited from the master.
3. It is easy to tell that the transfer comes from an older master, but the film does have an organic look.

Quote:
HOT SPOT could've used subtitles.
Yes. This I agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus-Prime-Rox View Post
Was there an unrated version of The Hot Spot? I never owned the dvd version & probably only seen the movie once or twice in the early 90's when it was on cable either Showtime or Cinemax but I always remembered it having more Jennifer Connelly topless shots than just one scene or so I thought.
No. There was only one release. Later on, after the initial run, MGM re-pressed the same disc with a different cover.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-19-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #163
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Behind the wheel of my Civic [DX]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
You may be trusting the word, but what is written above isn't true. I am yet to see a DVD release upconverted on a standard 50+ screen that does not break down. Using a projector moves the debate on an entirely different level - the difference is like night and day.

And the statement that the film, or both of them for that matter, are bit-starved is a complete nonsense.

The facts are these:

1. The transfer does come from an older master.
2. No one has tried to do additional digital corrections on it - what is on the transfer was inherited from the master.
3. It is easy to tell that the transfer comes from an older master, but the film does have an organic look.

Yes. This I agree with.

No. There was only one release. Later on, after the initial run, MGM re-pressed the same disc with a different cover.

Pro-B

Music to workout your instrument by.
You play the Lords.
The Lords play you.
Spank the Lord!
~ loa
Old 08-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #164

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus-Prime-Rox View Post
Was there an unrated version of The Hot Spot? I never owned the dvd version & probably only seen the movie once or twice in the early 90's when it was on cable either Showtime or Cinemax but I always remembered it having more Jennifer Connelly topless shots than just one scene or so I thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post

Pro-B
The original DVD was mislabeled unrated?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #165
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by whotony View Post
The original DVD was mislabeled unrated?
Hello whotony,

There was only one release. There were no special editions, mislabeling, unrated releases, etc. However, at one point MGM repressed the the same disc with a different cover. Most likely they sold whatever stock they had. This disc was sold in virtually every Best Buy.

See below: Cover 1 was for the original release. Cover 2 was for the re-pressed version. (Ugly cover).

I am not aware of a third release -- unrated or non-rated -- being produced. The initial Rated R release is what MGM was selling in the U.S. Once these two sold out, the disc went OOP. This was it for the U.S..

I bought my disc (first edition) on release date. This I remember very well because I waited for this film to come out.

COVER 1

COVER 2

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-25-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #166
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Brooklyn, NY

Don Johnson ported over his acting style from Miami Vice over to this film which was shot around the time the hit cop show was wrapping up for good in '89. Then he sort of quietly disappeared for much of the 90's. Actually, the only other movie I've seen him in after HOT SPOT was in Tarantino's Django Unchained. What else has he done that's not a cameo role?
Selling Shout Factory BD of Halloween II on Amazon with the Universal disc that includes Terror In the Aisles if anyone is interested.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #167
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Don Johnson ported over his acting style from Miami Vice over to this film which was shot around the time the hit cop show was wrapping up for good in '89. Then he sort of quietly disappeared for much of the 90's. Actually, the only other movie I've seen him in after HOT SPOT was in Tarantino's Django Unchained. What else has he done that's not a cameo role?
Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (1991) was a pretty successful film at the time.

Dead Bang (1989) was a good film imo.

Nash Bridges ran from 1996-2001
Old 08-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #168
Special Member

Aug 2013

Don Johnson was one of the villains in Machete and did a really good (but little-seen) Vietnam film called Cease Fire in the mid 1980's.

Anyway, I have this one on VHS and DVD (as well as the score album) and even though I didn't like Killing Me Softly (aka the film that destroyed Chen Kaige's career), I will pick this one up when the price is right.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #169
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
SE MI.

I watched this yesterday and can say after comparing a few shots after with the dvd that the BD does look much better. I was worried when it started in a flurry of heavy grain and artifacts, scratches, damage, etc that it was gonna suck, but it got much better. Then that opening is even dirtier and uglier on the dvd!
The color scheme is kinda annoying, although for it being a noir film, I'm thinking the darker look of the BD is most likely the intended look. Not sure if all that warm color should be turned down with the brightness though, the very end shot looks straight up wrong and ****ed. Thankfully that' the only one that really bugged me, the scenes that matter look fine and I'll say it until I die, Virgina Madsen has never been hotter than in this movie! Jen Con hasn't been hotter either.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:38 AM   #170

Feb 2013

Custom cover and forget about Killing Me Softly.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #171

Mar 2011
Chatsworth, CA

Quote:
2 more that I like

A Boy & His Dog

Guilty As Sin
Old 10-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #172
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
What else has he done that's not a cameo role?
If you want to see a great recent role from Don Johnson, then buy this Blu-ray today...

This is an outstanding movie, and it's my second favorite flick of 2014 so far behind Under the Skin (the two switch places back and forth at the top spot, though).
Old 10-05-2014, 12:15 AM   #173
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Brooklyn, NY

A bit off topic but still somehow related....Imagine how cool the recent Miami Vice film could've been if they had decided to make the film a direct continuation of the series and Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas were cast. As it stands now the film Michael Mann ultimately dredged up turned out to be forgettable but it still would've been better off as a direct followup even with that script. Lost opportunity.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America