Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$52.99
Justified: The Complete Final Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
John Wick (Blu-ray)
$14.96
A Most Wanted Man (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Wolverine 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Malcolm X (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Autómata (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Gattaca (Blu-ray)
$4.96
Dressed to Kill (Blu-ray)
$27.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #9241
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Out in the fields around Maltlicky, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Others seem to grasp it...but I will explain it for you.
The conversation was about skull and how ludicrous the plot was, so I briefly outlined the basic plots of the other three films. Which, IMO, are all ludicrous, but also IMO, all are quite fun.
Any thing else need explaining?
just your overall attitude.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (One of the 10 greatest films of the 1980's)
2. The Temple of Doom (Aside from the raft fall out of the airplane) its really great.
3. The Last Crusade (Its ok, but turning Marcus Brodie into an idiot was a big mistake)
4. Skull (Could have been good)
Music Setup
Amp: Carver M1.0t (MK II 002 MOD)
Pre Amp: Carver C-1 (MOD)
TT: Thorens TD-160
Speakers: Bose 901 (Series IV, EQ MOD)

Last edited by Angel Eyes; 05-25-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #9242
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I think it's more that the goofy shit doesn't work as well because of the underlying tone and visual issues in the movie. Like, the fridge did bother me, even though Doom's raft and Crusade's plane didn't. Why is that? It's an interesting question about the subtleties of film.
That's it in a nutshell: if you're enjoying the other aspects of the movie then the goofy stuff tends to be forgiven a lot easier, like the heil-hitlering monkey in Raiders or Chewie's Tarzan yell in Jedi, but if you encounter problems at every turn then the goofy stuff becomes just another source of discontent. And some folks simply don't realise that the critical over-emphasis on the goofy stuff in Crystal Skull stems from that deeper dislike of the film.
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (05-26-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 10:19 PM   #9243

Dec 2013

I've been thinking about this. Heavily improving the enjoyment hinges on only 5 changes....

1) Change the "part time" line reading
If this isn't your number one gripe, WTF?. Change it and maybe add that iconic smirk we see a lot in Crusade. (You want him to feel like he's starting to get his chops back despite age? That would be a signifier that links him to his younger self for the audience)

2) Remove the triple-cross CIA element
Have him as a genuine ally you care about (Sallah is missed here) who plays the russians straight up, once, and gets taken away for his deception. Then comes back at the end having escaped to help Indy, straight up.

3) Remove CGI gophers.
Keep the rest of the CGI people gripe at (couldn't hurt to make the remaining CGI less cartoony). It's only when you stew on all the grievances post viewing, you realise gophers broke the camels back and is totally unnecessary plot-wise.

[Show spoiler]It would have been nice if all the PR talk previous to release wasn't saying "it's going to be practical like the first movies" because lets face it only a small percentage was practical? This was only practical in context of a George Lucas movie.

4) Tweak marion/indy dialogue.
Just never felt right somehow. It's a small change to alter their dynamic. Maybe have a small scene, just them in a tent or something where they argue a bit then realise there is still affection. A small scene to endear you to them as a potential couple again and see them properly connecting well before the wedding.

You can still have them bickering over parental nonsense subsequent.

5) Just call them aliens, George.
Unfortunately (I have no problem with "inter-dimensional" myself) no one bought the twist on aliens. It's in most peoples top 3 reasons they hate the movie, I think it's because his 'creativity' insults the audiences intelligence. Area 51 stuff is globally accepted as aliens. And while its not totally in line with the other "mystical/biblical" themes in the previous films, really there was nothing left to match 1-3 that I've heard proposed. Especially that would tie-in time period wise better than aliens.

=========

This exercise is about getting the movie basically the same but removing a lot of small faults and gripes that could render the movie on par with TOD, imo.
20 Favorite Films: [1]Raiders of the Lost Ark [2]Back to the Future [3]Jurassic Park [4]Mission: Impossible [5]LOTR: Fellowship [6]Terminator 2:JD [7]Star Wars [8]Jaws [9]Who Framed Roger Rabbit? [10]Titanic [11]Top Gun [12]The Rock [13]Saving Private Ryan [14]Apollo 13 [15]Shawshank Redemption [16]The Prestige [17]Robin Hood: POT [18]Field of Dreams [19]The Dark Knight [20]There Will Be Blood

Last edited by nick4amber; 05-25-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #9244
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Eyes View Post
just your overall attitude.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (One of the 10 greatest films of the 1980's)
2. The Temple of Doom (Aside from the raft fall out of the airplane) its really great.
3. The Last Crusade (Its ok, but turning Marcus Brodie into an idiot was a big mistake)
4. Skull (Could have been good)
No attitude at all, that member asked me to explain...so as a courtesy I inquired if further explanation would,be needed.

Yes, yes I've heard those opinions about the films many times.
I like all four films equally, and would,love to see a fifth installment. If my opinion puts off some here, well lol, not much I can do about that.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #9245
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4amber View Post
I've been thinking about this. Heavily improving the enjoyment hinges on only 5 changes....

1) Change the "part time" line reading
If this isn't your number one gripe, WTF?. Change it and maybe add that iconic smirk we see a lot in Crusade. (You want him to feel like he's starting to get his chops back despite age? That would be a signifier that links him to his younger self for the audience)
Ready for a shock? I prefer the film's reading.

I didn't at first. And I know that RLM singled that part out in his review:

If they'd gone with the overtly badass trailer reading, it would've been a bit on-the-nose -- like one of those oh-so-precious trailer moments that every other blockbuster has. Lights, camera, zoom in on Indy...punchline. "He's back, baby."

No, one of the rare things that Indy 4 has going for it is its willingness to show the passage of time (like another poster mentioned). The implication is that he's mellowed a bit. He's simply offering a qualification. It stands in potentially hilarious contrast to the ominous surroundings, and what's been going on.

It's a decidedly un-actionhero reading, and I quite like it.

Quote:
2) Remove the triple-cross CIA element
Have him as a genuine ally you care about (Sallah is missed here) who plays the russians straight up, once, and gets taken away for his deception. Then comes back at the end having escaped to help Indy, straight up.
I'm in total agreement. This gets to the whole notion of "stakes" in an adventure film. We don't know Mac, but I felt like there was potential there (mostly supplied by Winstone).

This might not go over with anyone, but I think it might've worked with Sallah, slightly reworked. I can handle him turning the gun on Indy in the warehouse, looking downcast, mumbling that they have a member of his family or something -- it would've demonstrated a willingness to get aggressive with sacred cows. With a little bit of creativity they could've brought him to the good side by the end of the movie.

But yeah, the triple cross was bullshit. The worst kind of lazy screenwriting.

Quote:
This exercise is about getting the movie basically the same but removing a lot of small faults and gripes that could render the movie on par with TOD, imo.
I don't think I'd go quite that far; but on the whole you're right that a few relatively small changes might've gone a long way. The gophers, egads.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #9246
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012

I bought this a couple of years ago, and noticed the other day thumbing through my set that the packaging has kind of a weird smell to it. Didn't used to smell like this, almost like a vomit like smell, and no I nor anyone else has vomited on it? Anyone else notice this?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #9247
Special Member

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauswhereareyou View Post
I bought this a couple of years ago, and noticed the other day thumbing through my set that the packaging has kind of a weird smell to it. Didn't used to smell like this, almost like a vomit like smell, and no I nor anyone else has vomited on it? Anyone else notice this?
Cardboard in general has that smell most of the time, to me at least. However this set isnt as noticeable pungent as a bucket of puke.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #9248
Special Member

Apr 2012
Colorado

Quote:
It's the adhesive that they used to assemble the box (there's urea in it). As it breaks down, it sends off a noxious odor. Some sneakers do the same thing. The formulation being tried now doesn't have that same smell.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #9249
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

I wish my BDs smelled like my vinyl records.
"I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room... as inevitable as your guilty conscience..."
My Motion Picture Collection
My Vinyl Collection
My VUDU Collection
PSN: HD_Goofnut
World of Tanks: HD_Goofnut
Old 05-26-2015, 11:00 PM   #9250

Feb 2012
Lithuania, Kaunas

Quote:
I bought this a couple of years ago, and noticed the other day thumbing through my set that the packaging has kind of a weird smell to it. Didn't used to smell like this, almost like a vomit like smell, and no I nor anyone else has vomited on it?
Most likely the Crystal Skull disc.
Thanks given by:
FilmFreakosaurus (05-26-2015), HeavyHitter (05-26-2015), Kristian Idol (05-26-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America