Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

You Only Live Twice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
1 hr ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
3 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #221
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

We watched our 'Laura' Blu-ray last night. It was an extremely pleasurable film noir experience! The transfer to Blu is gorgeous and the movie is fabulous (the Blu-ray was a blind buy)! I also watched the included Gene Tierney biography, 'A Shattered Portrait'. Like so many other Hollywood starlets, Tierney's life wasn't all glamour and fame. She dealt with mental illness, including having electroshock therapy treatments.

Movies like 'Laura' remind us how common it was for just about EVERYONE to smoke back in the day. Tierney started smoking in her late teens in an effort to make her voice a bit huskier for her acting roles. The habit eventually took so many stars at relatively young ages, including Tierney.

I prefer 'Laura' to Tierney's 'Leave Her to Heaven' but both films are worth owning, IMHO. I look forward to adding 'The Ghost and Mrs. Muir' to our collection as well!

Mark
Old 10-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #222

May 2010
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEB View Post
I prefer 'Laura' to Tierney's 'Leave Her to Heaven' but both films are worth owning, IMHO. I look forward to adding 'The Ghost and Mrs. Muir' to our collection as well!

Mark
Just picked this up yesterday. I have never seen it, but did recently watch Leave Her to Heaven. I enjoyed that film, so looking forward to Laura.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #223
Power Member

Dec 2010
New Jersey

Got my copy in the mail today. Having never seen the film, I'm pumped after reading all the good praise about it
Follow me on Twitter to stay updated with my latest Blu-ray / DVD reviews: https://twitter.com/Frightener22

Slipcovers in need, PM me if you're looking to sell:
"Lost Boys: The Thirst", "Shark Night" & "Star Trek: The Original Series" Season 3
Old 10-10-2013, 01:17 AM   #224
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

I ordered Laura and Sunset Boulevard last night from Amazon for a total of $25.47. Woo hoo! Can't wait for them to show up at my doorstep.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #225
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Otto Preminger's 1944 film, Laura, is presented on this 20th Century Fox Blu-ray as one of the most pleasureful high definition viewing experiences that I have enjoyed to date. I watched the main feature film two nights ago and then immediately repeated the film by way of the two commentary tracks, more out of an inclination simply to marvel at the visuals again than to absorb any of the information. The picture quality of this transfer accentuates the effective lighting techniques, the rainy street sequences that would soon become film noir mainstays, and, most importantly, the unmistakeable allure of the title character, played wondrously by Gene Tierney, whom Fox producer Darryl F. Zanuck named as "the most beautiful woman in movie history."

It is best to see this film without having read a long-winded description, so I will simply recommend Laura as a masterwork where Preminger took a cue from Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca and supplemented it with his own trademark of wide shots depicting a variety of characters who are all charismatic in their own ways. Like the other two Preminger films in my collection, River of No Return and Anatomy of a Murder, Laura keeps me entranced by way of people whose motivation and oddly endearing idiosyncrasies make me want to spend hours with each one. One particular character's attachment to a handheld baseball diamond game, for example, speaks volumes about his mindset during key moments.

Whenever I was not fixated with Gene Tierney's beauty in this film, I enjoyed listening to the insights in the first commentary track with historian Jeanine Basinger and composer David Raksin, whose music is given superb treatment on this Blu-ray audio presentation, and in the sprawlingly informative second commentary track with historian Rudy Behlmer. A documentary, "The Obsession", makes the most of its short time to examine this film's stylistic approaches and legacy, while the biography supplements of Gene Tierney and Vincent Price offer thorough recaps of the tragedies and triumphs associated with the impressive careers of both.

This Blu-ray earns five stars in every category, and it has my highest recommendation.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 10-23-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #226

Dec 2007

Unfortunately James Ellroy is writing a script for a remake of this.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America