Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

You Only Live Twice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
1 hr ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
3 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 06-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #21
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

I'll admit I'm not a big Burton fan, but the plot and the cast members thus far have my interest.
La double vie de moi.
iScottie's Storefront
Old 10-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #22
Expert Member

Aug 2011
Belgium

Waltz ánd Adams? I'm in. And -ow- it's Burton, not bad. I was dissapointed in his more recent work, but every new project is a new chance.
[Wanted Slipcovers US] Cinderella - The Great Mouse Detective - Pete's Dragon - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Atlantis - Robin Hood - Oliver & Co - Sword in the Stone - Peter Pan - Atlantis - Chicken Little (3D) - Mulan - Lilo & Stitch - Bolt (3D) - Brave (2D) - Monsters University (2D) - Frankenweenie (3D) - James and the Giant Peach
Old 10-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

Still no Depp or Bonham Carter in the cast...already a good sign.
First, ye rubs something furry t'get a charge...then ye picks yer target...!

Selling 3D discs for The Wolverine, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Rise Of The Guardians for $10 each, $25 combined or for possible trade.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

Man, I had a really hard time finding this thread.

Anyway:

Tim Burton's 'Big Eyes' Set For Xmas Day

Quote:
First up, Tim Burton's return to drama with "Big Eyes" has landed a Christmas Day release date. The Weinstein Company are clearly hoping for big things from the Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz led drama, telling the true story of kitsch painter Margaret Keane, and the ensuing scandal when it emerged that her husband had taken credit for much of her career, leading to a showdown in court. Certainly, this is one to keep an eye on for Oscar consideration.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...dates-20140502
Old 05-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #25
Power Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post
Man, I had a really hard time finding this thread.

Anyway:

Tim Burton's 'Big Eyes' Set For Xmas Day

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...dates-20140502
Great news. Always thought it was a weird August release.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:47 AM   #26
Special Member

Oct 2010
Ontario, Canada

Wasn't he (Tim Burton) supposed to direct a stop-motion animated adaptation of the Addams Family? I would like to see this...
Old 06-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

First impressions:

http://thefilmstage.com/news/first-i...ristoph-waltz/
Old 06-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #28
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

It's a shame Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz are wasting their immense talents on a Tim Burton film.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #29
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Florida

Christoph Waltz and Amy Adams? I'm watching this.
"I'm the Lord of the Harvest."

20 Favorite Films: 1) Inglourious Basterds 2) Back to the Future 3) Jurassic Park 4) Halloween 5) Aliens 6) The Empire Strikes Back 7) Pulp Fiction 8) Raiders of the Lost Ark 9) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 10) 2001: A Space Odyssey 11) Shaun of the Dead 12) Star Wars 13) Jaws 14) The Matrix 15) Taxi Driver 16) Psycho 17) The Departed 18) Groundhog Day 19) Roman Holiday 20) The Thing
Old 09-19-2014, 12:32 AM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

The first trailer is up.

http://thefilmstage.com/trailer/firs...ristoph-waltz/
Thanks given by:
RSuarez (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 03:04 AM   #31

Mar 2014

I was under the impression Christoph Waltz was doing an American accent....oh well. It doesn't look as amazing as I thought it would but it still looks decent.
Favorite movies: 1.The Departed 2.Pulp Fiction 3.Goodfellas 4.Kill Bill 5.a Clockwork Orange 6.Good Will Hunting 7.The Godfather Part II 8.Taxi Driver 9.Fargo 10.Boogie Nights 11.Inglourious Basterds 12.The Big Lebowski 13.American Beauty 14.Django Unchained 15.On The Waterfront 16.Once Upon a Time in America 17.Gladiator 18.The Godfather 19.American Hustle 20.Die Hard
Old 09-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #32
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

Yeah, I was kinda hoping this would be a bit of a new leaf for Burton but it just looks rather straight forward. Nothing bad, Adams seems to be giving a great performance, Waltz is reliable as ever, it just looks standard. Other than for acting, I don't think this is going to be a major runner in the race unless the Weinsteins pull off a lot of backstage dealings.
Remaining Films of 2014 I'll check out: Men, Women and Children. St. Vincent. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. Dumb and Dumber To. Exodus: Gods and Kings. Big Eyes. Unbroken.
Best Films of the Year so far: Boyhood. Calvary. Mr. Turner. Mommy. Frank. Godzilla. Nightcrawler. Gone Girl. Interstellar. The Raid 2. The Rover. The LEGO Movie. Under the Skin.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:06 AM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2013

Been a while since I said this, but that Tim Burton movie looks great. He is certainly playing down the quirkiness, which I believe is due to the backlash of his past couple live action films. Good for him, though. If it's even half as good as Ed Wood, it will be a success.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:51 AM   #34
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Been a while since I said this, but that Tim Burton movie looks great. He is certainly playing down the quirkiness, which I believe is due to the backlash of his past couple live action films. Good for him, though. If it's even half as good as Ed Wood, it will be a success.
The quirkiness wasn't the problem with his most recent films. Just being awful remakes/re-imaginings was.
Bat-Mite: "Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but is certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots then the tortured avenger, crying out for mommy and daddy."

Batman: The Brave & The Bold - Legend of the Dark Mite.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:17 AM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
The quirkiness wasn't the problem with his most recent films. Just being awful remakes/re-imaginings was.
Well. Alice in Wonderland and Frankenweenie were just so quirky I hated them, which is awful because I even loved Mars Attacks.

Dark Shadows had real potential if it went the Sleepy Hollow route of Burton quirkiness in a gothic setting..
Old 09-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
USA

Dark Shadows would've had potential had it been made 15-20 years ago and not be some ridiculous camp farce that shits all over the television series.
"We got this, man! We got this by the ass!"

Twitter! @TGuycott
Old 09-21-2014, 06:10 AM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
New Zealand

That trailer made this look pretty average. hope I'm wrong but I haven't enjoyed anything from Burton since Sweeny Todd
My Whole Collection: http://ganny01.filmaf.com/owned
Old 09-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Guycott View Post
Dark Shadows would've had potential had it been made 15-20 years ago and not be some ridiculous camp farce that shits all over the television series.

Like the original series wasn't some ridiculous camp farce?!
First, ye rubs something furry t'get a charge...then ye picks yer target...!

Selling 3D discs for The Wolverine, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Rise Of The Guardians for $10 each, $25 combined or for possible trade.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #39
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
Have you actually watched the original series? Cause it wasn't campy comedy.
Bat-Mite: "Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but is certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots then the tortured avenger, crying out for mommy and daddy."

Batman: The Brave & The Bold - Legend of the Dark Mite.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
It wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
Have you actually watched the original series? Cause it wasn't campy comedy.
I watched it on Netflix from Barnabas' introduction until the transition to color (~90 episodes), and while there was some rare intentional comedy, the show presents itself in a perfectly serious, straight-faced manner. That degree of seriousness could be interpreted as a "joke" like with Batman*, but nothing about the original Dark Shadows was intentionally campy or farcical.

It would have been nice to get a film from Burton with Depp which replicated a lot of that dark gothic drama and atmosphere, but instead we got a broad comedy which treads on the show's premise and legacy like it's something to laugh at and belittle. The most irritating thing about it is that it could have been done the right way with the creative parties involved.

I feel like people often throw around the term "camp" when they're really unable or unwilling to take a show or film's premise or execution at face value (another excellent example: the original Doctor Who).

[Show spoiler]Everyone calls the Batman TV series camp, but even Adam West has argued that it wasn't. He instead makes the argument that the show's depiction of ridiculous situations with an air of deadly seriousness is the joke, which is different from camp: camp is more about a self-aware sense of irony or kitsch within the presentation, such as Rocky Horror.
"We got this, man! We got this by the ass!"

Twitter! @TGuycott

Last edited by Thomas Guycott; 09-21-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies