COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$17.98
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas / Twice Upon a Christmas (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
HD Aviation: 100 Years of Flight (Blu-ray)
$12.98
Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 03-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

I didn't believe in extended warranties with CRT. If they made it through the manufacturer's warranty, that usually meant they'd last. In fact, every single CRT I've ever owned, aside from normal dimming, lasted well over double their life-expectancy.

Sadly, that's not the case with electronics anymore. Now, the warranty is closer to being a maximum life expectancy than a minimum one. It's the number the manufacturer expects the majority of production units, not flawed from the factory, to last without problems that'll come back on them.

It doesn't matter how well the manufacturer or the model is rated, manufacturing standards aren't what they used to be. Now it's more about price for most major manufacturers being showcased at Walmart, Best Buy, Target, Gregg, and other chains. The one's that are still building components like they used to, are also pricing them accordingly, but still at the mercy of manufacturing tolerances of parts that they outsource.

Not sure about plasma, but traditionally phosphor based technologies were fairly consistent. Premature failure was usually related more to electrical issues, like surges and more subtle area current fluctuations, or use issues, like uneven screenburn from excessive contrast and static images. If you knew how to properly set basic user levels and avoided programing like sports and games that left stationary images on the screen for long durations, and if you plugged it into a good power conditioner/surge protection, odds are your affection for the TV would die long before the TV would.

That's not the case with most newer technologies. Manufacturer's like to advertise that the LED light source in their $1000 to $10,000 dollar display has a life expectancy of 20,000 or more hours, compared to 2000-5000 hour lamps, but bury in the fine print the fact that other critical display components have life expectancies of only 5000 hours, which is far shorter than that of even a budget $80 CRT once had.

LCD/LCoS panels themselves have inconsistent deterioration rates, with many yellowing prematurely. I saw a statistic once that put premature LCD yellowing around 30-40% chance; that's for the newer panels that are less prone to yellowing. Earlier LCDs were even worse. Manufacturers like Sony often only guarantee the optical block for a mere 5,000 hours, as a result. Which the optical block is 75% of the costs, so fixing it isn't practical.

DLP chips rarely go bad, in fact they're so reliable, Mitsubishi now guarantees the chip for 10,000 hours. While that might sound encouraging for someone who doesn't know any better, it's somewhat of a hollow guarantee like when they guaranteed their CRTs wouldn't significantly dim for the first 10,000 hours. Now if they guaranteed the color wheel for that, it'd be worth bragging about. Color wheel failure is the chief concern of DLP. Though, unlike LCD panel decay, I believe DLP color wheel failure is closer to around 10-20%, from a statistic I read a while back.

I never used to advocate extended warranties for displays when failure rates were less common and the most common ailments would cost not much more than what the warranty cost itself. But, with displays these days, if you expect to keep it more than 2 years, not buying an extended warranty is more of a gamble than it used to be.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
jO-hio

I did when I purchased my Panasonic projector from them and it was worth every penny. The projector got hit with a surge and was a replace only item, since they no longer carried them I was given a giftcard for the entire purchase price which I then put towards the JVC I now have, I also purchased a service plan for the JVC due to the prior situation and the fact that it allows one free bulb replacement under the plan .

Bill
Wives and toddlers...can't live with them and people notice them missing.
Proud Member of CAA: Chronic Adjusters Anonymous
Old 03-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2011
5593 ft above sea level

My Sammy LCD had burn in after 3 years, due to the 4:3 ratio for some of the TV shows. The TV is basically on all day every day. The repair guy said that still shouldn't happen, but it did. They recommended just getting me a new TV.

Same with my mother-in-law - she started having these lines across her Panasonic LCD (I believe). The part was no longer made, so new comparable TV.
Wait a minute, we were stuck in a blender and now we're saving lives? WHAT?!?

deltasun's sell/trade thread; For Sale: Captain Phillips (slip, BD/DVD), The Muppets (Wocka x 2) -- $13 ea; The Collection, The Iceman -- $10 ea.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

I used to work for Best Buy and I am extremely familiar with the Geek Squad coverage. I read the entire terms and conditions about 10 times when I first started. I then continued to read it about once a month. Needless to say, I was one of the top in sales on these protection plans. I did not sell many on TVs or computers, but I sold them on about every single appliance I sold.

First of all, they are priced by some high up, number crunching, marketing accountants. Yes, they are pure income for a store since there is no physical product made or involved, minus the labor of the salesperson to sell it to you. This does not mean they are to trick the consumer though.

Number one thing to look at when deciding, what are you protecting? Is this a TV or a refrigerator? A person can go without a TV (hard to believe, but it's true). There is not much you can do without a refrigerator though. You need food. And unless you want to go back to your college days eating Ramen Noodles every day for every meal, you need a refrigerator.

Second thing to look at is price of the item vs cost of the protection. Here's where both Consumer Reports and Dave Ramsey say they are worthless. Do not listen to either, they do not own your money, you do. Make your own damn decision. If you are buying a $3000 TV, get a warranty. If you are buying a $300 microwave and 2 year protection costs $50, better get the warranty. Would you rather spend $50 now or another $300 within 2 years? Only a fool chooses to spend more...and a fool and his money are soon parted. On some items, the cost of protection may be as much as a trip charge by the repairman (more on that in a bit). When it is at this cost, the protection can be worth it because the second it breaks, you would have already spent more money than you need to on it.

Third, the manufactuer's warranty. What does it cover? Most people are shocked that they do not cover a repairman's trip charge. The consumer still has to pay for that. How long does it cover for? Most big items should be at least one year. Any extra parts covered? The compressor on a fridge may be covered an extra 5 to 10 years and sometime the extended warranty will extend the coverage of those parts. Credit card coverage? Yes some credit cards will extend the manufactuer's warranty, but these are usually Gold or Platinum cards. Your run of the mill Visa or MasterCard will not do that. Plus it is a HUGE hassle going through the credit card companies to set up repair.

Forth, what is covered? I know Best Buy covered power surge and wear and tear on appliances. Fridges and freezers are covered up to $200 in food loss and you get emergency service, in which a Geek Squad agent will be at your home within 48 hours if it is not cooling. Washers and Dryer have a laundry allowance if they cannot repair the machines in a timely manner, usually within a week.

There is probably more to this but it's late and I want to sleep...
....and so says the Meeklo
Old 03-23-2013, 04:12 AM   #25

Dec 2012

Bought 60" Samsung LED from Best Buy for $3k last year. Best Buy wanted $400-500 something for a 3 year warranty. Went to Costco, got Squaretrade warranty for $99.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Best reason of all to get the Protection: the salesperson is nicer to you!

Yes, there are valid reasons why the protection is good for the consumer to have. And we all know they are still cash grabs for the retail store. Yes, the employees are rated on how much protection they sell and can be written up for not selling enough.

So while this could be called unethical, it is unfortunately the way the sales world works. There could be other benefits and savings that you as a consumer do not know about but the salesperson does. If you would like those benefits, you need to help out the salesperson, otherwise you may not receive them.

Examples: Customers wanted to come in a price match an item we had with the Frys. Frys was selling it below cost, meaning we would lose money if we price matched. I was willing to match but the customer had to give out more since we would lose money...and store are not created to lose money. I offered the credit card (also a big store cash grab) and the protection and the customers shot both down. So we refused the price match and they went to Frys.

Another...customer is paying with a Best Buy credit card and is interested in the 18 month no interest financing. I could have actually got him 36 months no interest so he could get more breathing room in his payments (especially around the holidays) but he refused the protection (and got very argumentative about it). So he got only 18 months.

People know (or should) not to piss off the waiters or anyone handling your food at a restaurant. Same should go for any customer service place. You never know what you could miss...especially if you get pissy with the hired help.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
Power Member

Mar 2013

[Show spoiler]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeklo View Post
Best reason of all to get the Protection: the salesperson is nicer to you!

Yes, there are valid reasons why the protection is good for the consumer to have. And we all know they are still cash grabs for the retail store. Yes, the employees are rated on how much protection they sell and can be written up for not selling enough.

So while this could be called unethical, it is unfortunately the way the sales world works. There could be other benefits and savings that you as a consumer do not know about but the salesperson does. If you would like those benefits, you need to help out the salesperson, otherwise you may not receive them.

Examples: Customers wanted to come in a price match an item we had with the Frys. Frys was selling it below cost, meaning we would lose money if we price matched. I was willing to match but the customer had to give out more since we would lose money...and store are not created to lose money. I offered the credit card (also a big store cash grab) and the protection and the customers shot both down. So we refused the price match and they went to Frys.

Another...customer is paying with a Best Buy credit card and is interested in the 18 month no interest financing. I could have actually got him 36 months no interest so he could get more breathing room in his payments (especially around the holidays) but he refused the protection (and got very argumentative about it). So he got only 18 months.

People know (or should) not to piss off the waiters or anyone handling your food at a restaurant. Same should go for any customer service place. You never know what you could miss...especially if you get pissy with the hired help.

^^If this ever happened to me, I would be calling the GM and letting him know why that particular store will NEVER get my business again. I would then follow up with an email/letter to said GM and cc the district and regional manager along with corporate. That is just disgusting code of conduct and a poor representation of the company. as a former BB employee who set the district record on PRP sales, I never once treated a consumer differently based on their willingness to purchase it. That behavior is just appalling. Turning down a PRP is hardly grounds for providing piss poor customer service.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallima View Post

^^If this ever happened to me, I would be calling the GM and letting him know why that particular store will NEVER get my business again. I would then follow up with an email/letter to said GM and cc the district and regional manager along with corporate. That is just disgusting code of conduct and a poor representation of the company. as a former BB employee who set the district record on PRP sales, I never once treated a consumer differently based on their willingness to purchase it. That behavior is just appalling. Turning down a PRP is hardly grounds for providing piss poor customer service.
You would not know this was happening. And again, this is how it works at all retail shopping. I did not say I was providing poor customer service. I still gave them exactly what they wanted (with the exception of the Frys example above because, again, a store is not made to lose money), they were still happy, and left great feedback on the surveys. But they could have gotten more. Let's not blow this up into a big ordeal. I'm still in sales for a news magazine and they do even more deplorable tricks than I did at Best Buy.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #29
Power Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeklo View Post
You would not know this was happening. And again, this is how it works at all retail shopping. I did not say I was providing poor customer service. I still gave them exactly what they wanted (with the exception of the Frys example above because, again, a store is not made to lose money), they were still happy, and left great feedback on the surveys. But they could have gotten more. Let's not blow this up into a big ordeal. I'm still in sales for a news magazine and they do even more deplorable tricks than I did at Best Buy.
A store is not in business to lose money but when they offer price match, in some instances, they will lose money, but gain in future sales with customer loyalty etc. Your viewpoint is shortsighted IMO.

Tactics like those are why no one trusts people in sales. I'm sorry but if I got turned down for a price match at BB and had to go to Fry's you can bet I would have immediately placed a call and drafted a letter to corporate including the store #, mgr on duty, and sales associate that chose not to assist me. If I walked into BB to purchase the PM item there, chances are I wanted to give BB my business & would continue to give them my business where they could make money. Those potential future sales just got nullified by your actions, not to mention the negative word of mouth that usually ensues in those instances.

Your cavalier attitude concerning sales ethics, amaze me.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallima View Post
Your cavalier attitude concerning sales ethics, amaze me.
Yeah, but my sales numbers amazed my bosses! I think they cried when I left.

I will compare it to a situation I had last night. I went out to dinner with some friends. The waiter provided great service and I tipped him very well. He, in turn, got us a few extra goodies to go with our food that we were taking home. This is not something he would have done normally (he told us so) but because we helped him, he helped us. I would have been happy even if he did not do those things, that why he was getting the good tip to begin with.

And yes, I'm not going to price match something below cost. I told those customers that and they understood, they were not upset or irate. They did not feel the need to waste time sending a letter to corporate. I have even sold to them afterwards. So it is possible to tell someone the truth and not have them fly off the handle and want to complain.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #31
Power Member

Mar 2013

We can agree to disagree. One can be successful without compromising ethics. You didn't tell them the truth though (and because they let you get away with it, is probably why you continued the practice). The truth would have been "yes, I can price match it, it would be at a loss but that's moot because it still falls under the price match guarantee. The real reason I won t price match it is because you are not buying the warranty." That would have been the truth. And I bet, they wouldn't have been so complacent. But there are all types of people in this world.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #32
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

the person who needs a salesperson to do anything more than get an item out of the backroom doesn't deserve to even be on this forum. that's about as much help as I ever need from a salesmen since you SHOULD be researching your products weeks before buying a product. too many people rely on money grubbing salesmen for their information instead of being smart consumers.

and for the MOST part warranties are worthless. I still buy them for my tv's at costco since $60 for a squaretrade warrant that goes ON TOP of my MFG warranty is a decent deal. I calculated all the money saved by not buying warranties, or uber pimped out insurance for items over the course of the last 5 years... I had to re-buy some items, sure, but the cost of the warranties etc added up to 4 x what I paid to replace items.

Last edited by wormraper; 03-25-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #33
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

I only buy the warranty on certain items.

Had to use it on my 32” lcd tv.

Had to use it on our refrigerator.

If I had it on my Onkyo….i’d have used it on that as well.

Also had to use it on our Dyson Vacuum.
Blu-Benny’s 7.2 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Losers always whine about their best......winners go home and f**k the prom queen!!"
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping