Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ronin (Blu-ray)
$22.97
Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$149.61
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Spider-Man: Homecoming 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
CHiPS (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Penny Dreadful: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Fist Fight (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.08
Lucy 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 1 - Phantom Blood & Battle Tendency Arcs (Blu-ray)
$45.79
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old Yesterday, 04:02 AM   #1861
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

For something that will be on a desktop you could consider the Xeo2 which are powered speakers; meaning they have an amp built into them. You could use an inexpensive AVR with preouts like the Marantz 1607 (should be on sales with the launch of the 1608), use the receiver for HDMI switching preamp to the Xeos for about all types of uses. The Xeos also have built in Bluetooth so you can stream music to them from any device. They can be wall mounted, desk mounted and stand mounted for all kinds of flexibility. You could even add a sub to the receiver for HT and gaming use if you want.
Video: Samsung 60" 4K SUHD TV UN60JS8000, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTv HD, AppleTV
Amplification: Marantz SR7007, NaimUniti 2 Network Streaming Integrated Amp
2-CH: Apple Mac Mini, JRiver, Tidal, Pro-ject 2Xpression Classic Sumiko Blue Point No. 2, Naim Stageline N
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM   #1862

Jul 2017

Thank you callas01 I had thought of this alternative as well, it might be a good solution and would make installation and cable mangement much simpler, but I think that from passive speakers and separate components you can get better sound quality and an external device would allow me to use other speakers in the event of an speakers upgrade.

I was probably thinking that an av amplifier would be more suitable for movies and could I use the dolby atmos even in a 2.1 channel configuration? Compared to a stereo amplifier that there are differences in sound quality?

Last edited by Saiph; Yesterday at 10:40 AM.
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #1863

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiph View Post
Thanks for your advice I read in the review on whathifi that the Excite X14 are lacking in attack and dynamism, what do you think of this conclusion?
I was worried by this review as well before I bought my X14's...

All I can think of is that WhatHiFi must not have had 150 hours or more on their pair, or they were using a really smooth and laidback amp with them.

From out of the box and up to about 130-150 hours, I actually found myself agreeing a bit with their review. Vocals were not all that clear and sounded a bit congested and the midrange was too smoothed over. there was more space between everything than my previous speakers, but it was less articulate and precise. Top end detail still had some nice sparkle to it but was missing the proper drive and attack for a bit of the music I listened to and also more noticeably for movies.

My previous speakers were tuned to be VERY aggressive, so I was always happy with them for movies and music was always engaging. Before the X14's had 150 hours on them I was still thinking most of the time that my previous speakers presented vocals and certain instruments more clearly and lively with more punch. Once I got 150-175 hours into the X14's there's really nothing they don't do better than my old speakers.

Now I will also say that the type of amp you use with them will effect this too. I have a Harman Kardon receiver and a Cambidge Audio receiver that I have sitting around. both are similarly priced and similar power to them. When I switch back and forth between the two amps on the X14's, my preference is definitely for the Harman Kardon. It has a more forward sound with more punch to it and I find both movies and music more engaging and enjoyable with it instead of the Cambridge. It gives more attack and excitement to the X14's. Now the Cambridge is technically a better amp, it has a quieter noise floor and presents better separation between instruments and has a better depth and width to the soundstage. The high frequencies seem to be extend more through it then the H/K as well. But in the end I much prefer the presentation I get with the Harman on both music and especially movies. So I think an amp that is smoother and more laidback such as Cambridge, Arcam, and maybe even Marantz can be a little too restrained. Something that is a little more forward and aggressive like my Harman Kardon, or possibly an NAD receiver like the T748/758, or some of the Yamaha Aventage models or Pioneer Elite Class D amps with a more lively sound and more punch will give better results if you like more attack and energy to the sound.

I personally don't agree with WhatHiFi's assessment of the X14's dynamics and attack. Sure, there are more attacking and dynamic speakers out there, but then you get into other problems like fatigue, harshness and hissing with tipped up high frequencies,... which are some of the things you specifically said you don't want to hear.

I think the X14's are a very special speaker and they have a near perfect balance of everything, and they do it all so well and they do nothing poorly or call attention to themselves in a negative way. As long as you give them proper break-in (at least 150-175 hrs) and pair them with an amp that's not too smooth and laidback, then you will be quite happy I think. I am totally pleased with mine and like I said I came from speaker that were very aggressive, and I don't miss them now.
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #1864

Jul 2017

With your reply you solved one of my most recurring doubts that is that of the right match with the amplifier, I was very confused before reading your description why many online users have always read discordant opinions;
Some of them think that an amplifier that adds greater emphasis and coloration is a good combination with the neutral character of Dynaudio, and then others think that an amplifier capable of controlling the bass and giving that sense of rhythm and energy is the right choice, some of them have found, for example, Rega Brio R an excellent match, but maybe I think 50w for RMS are not enough to get the best results from these speakers, maybe even a Rotel A14 might be a good match

Thanks for your collaboration now I know what amplifier to direct my choice
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #1865

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiph View Post
With your reply you solved one of my most recurring doubts that is that of the right match with the amplifier, I was very confused before reading your description why many online users have always read discordant opinions;
Some of them think that an amplifier that adds greater emphasis and coloration is a good combination with the neutral character of Dynaudio, and then others think that an amplifier capable of controlling the bass and giving that sense of rhythm and energy is the right choice, some of them have found, for example, Rega Brio R an excellent match, but maybe I think 50w for RMS are not enough to get the best results from these speakers, maybe even a Rotel A14 might be a good match

Thanks for your collaboration now I know what amplifier to direct my choice

I agree 100% with the opinion that an amp which is more aggressive/forward and adds a little emphasis/energy and coloration is a great match with Dynaudio. Just makes the speakers a little more enjoyable and engaging overall.

The two receivers that I've used with the X14's (H/K and Cambridge) are rated at 55wpc for the H/K, and 50wpc for the Cambridge. Some websites that do tests on the receivers have stated that each of these receivers are actually around 90-100wpc with 5ch driven. I find that either of the receivers drive the X14's loud enough for me and still keep pretty good control over them. The Cambridge uses a Toroidal transformer and may have a little more headroom and a little better control over the bass on the X14's, but like I said it's the overall performance that matters most, and the H/K makes the X14's more engaging and lively, so the slight improvement in bass with the Cambridge means much less to me.

I think the Rega would power the X14's pretty well, and seems like people think it has a nice agile and punchy sound to it, although I haven't heard it myself. The Rotel might be a little more on the smooth/refined and warm side of things and not quite as punchy or engaging, but the last Rotel I heard was their RSX 1550 receiver, and they may have changed their "house sound" since then.

Again, I don't have much experience with integrated amps, but I think the Rega would have enough power to drive the X14's just fine, and to me the character of the amp matters more than the ultimate power it has.
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM   #1866
Expert Member

Aug 2007
Christchurch, NZ

I have a chance to get a pair of second hand Excite X38s for $3800NZD. Any suggestions on other Dynaudio options that I can consider? There is a pair of Focus 340 on Augiogon but after shipping, conversion and GST that works out at a little over $5k+NZD.

Just sold my Monitor Audio Gold GX200s and would finally like to jump on the Dynaudio bandwagon.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM   #1867

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post
I have a chance to get a pair of second hand Excite X38s for $3800NZD. Any suggestions on other Dynaudio options that I can consider? There is a pair of Focus 340 on Augiogon but after shipping, conversion and GST that works out at a little over $5k+NZD.

Just sold my Monitor Audio Gold GX200s and would finally like to jump on the Dynaudio bandwagon.
Hey kopkiwi, the newest Monitor Audio Gold 50's were one of the last few speakers I was considering upgrading to along with my X14's.

I think the Dynaudio Excite line is very good and when I compared them side by side with the GX50's I found them to be more natural and realistic sounding, although the GX50's had a bit more precise imaging and had more of an open and airy high frequency presentation and a bit more detail. The GX50's also had a "blacker" quieter background as well.

I think maybe the Focus line would be more of and upgrade for you over the Gold's in terms of openness/airiness and precision, but I don't have as much experience with them... Callas could probably give you more detail on Excite vs. Focus. Seems to me that for a little over a thousand more, that the Focus would be a tempting choice and probably keep you from wanting to upgrade again for a longer time, but depends on how much you are comfortable spending of course. Seems the Excite 38 extends 8Hz deeper than the Focus 340, if that matters to you.

Just curious, what didn't you like about the GX200's?
Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM   #1868
Expert Member

Aug 2007
Christchurch, NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twm1988 View Post
Hey kopkiwi, the newest Monitor Audio Gold 50's were one of the last few speakers I was considering upgrading to along with my X14's.

I think the Dynaudio Excite line is very good and when I compared them side by side with the GX50's I found them to be more natural and realistic sounding, although the GX50's had a bit more precise imaging and had more of an open and airy high frequency presentation and a bit more detail. The GX50's also had a "blacker" quieter background as well.

I think maybe the Focus line would be more of and upgrade for you over the Gold's in terms of openness/airiness and precision, but I don't have as much experience with them... Callas could probably give you more detail on Excite vs. Focus. Seems to me that for a little over a thousand more, that the Focus would be a tempting choice and probably keep you from wanting to upgrade again for a longer time, but depends on how much you are comfortable spending of course. Seems the Excite 38 extends 8Hz deeper than the Focus 340, if that matters to you.

Just curious, what didn't you like about the GX200's?
Appreciate the feedback mate

I am a chronic upgrader and I wanted something a bit more bulky. The GX200s got lost in my room, want something that stands out and looks every bit as big as they sound. Dumb reason, but any excuse for new speakers
Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM   #1869

Sep 2014

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback mate

I am a chronic upgrader and I wanted something a bit more bulky. The GX200s got lost in my room, want something that stands out and looks every bit as big as they sound. Dumb reason, but any excuse for new speakers
Haha, that's awesome!

I get it though,... even now just owning my Excite X14's for a couple month's I'm already thinking about what I want to replace them with (used Focus 160's?) when I move them to surround duty. Not that I'm unhappy with them in any way, but there's always something bigger and better.

Will you replace the center channel too?
Old Today, 12:03 AM   #1870
Expert Member

Aug 2007
Christchurch, NZ

Quote:
Haha, that's awesome!

I get it though,... even now just owning my Excite X14's for a couple month's I'm already thinking about what I want to replace them with (used Focus 160's?) when I move them to surround duty. Not that I'm unhappy with them in any way, but there's always something bigger and better.

Will you replace the center channel too?
Yeah I'll go the full hog. Got the GX350 at present.
Old Today, 01:10 AM   #1871

Sep 2014

Quote:
Yeah I'll go the full hog. Got the GX350 at present.
Cool!

Might be tough to find a used Focus 210C center channel. At least the Excite line has a larger center channel to choose from now(X28). I'm sure the Excite center channel would match just fine with the Focus towers, if you decide to go Focus.

You would probably want the X28 center channel with either of those large floorstanders, especially if you want a big looking center channel. I'm debating whether to get the X24 or X28 center channel for my X14's. I think the X24 would be fine for me, but just to be sure I'm going to borrow my dealers X24 demo model in the next week or two and see how I like it.
Old Today, 01:30 AM   #1872
Expert Member

Aug 2007
Christchurch, NZ

Quote:
Cool!

Might be tough to find a used Focus 210C center channel. At least the Excite line has a larger center channel to choose from now(X28). I'm sure the Excite center channel would match just fine with the Focus towers, if you decide to go Focus.

You would probably want the X28 center channel with either of those large floorstanders, especially if you want a big looking center channel. I'm debating whether to get the X24 or X28 center channel for my X14's. I think the X24 would be fine for me, but just to be sure I'm going to borrow my dealers X24 demo model in the next week or two and see how I like it.
The price different between the 28 and 24 is pretty minimal isn't it?
Old Today, 02:17 AM   #1873

Sep 2014

Quote:
The price different between the 28 and 24 is pretty minimal isn't it?
For me in Canada the X24 is $1200 and the X28 is $1800,... so I guess not much compared to either of the towers your looking at.
Old Today, 03:17 AM   #1874
Expert Member

Aug 2007
Christchurch, NZ

Quote:
For me in Canada the X24 is $1200 and the X28 is $1800,... so I guess not much compared to either of the towers your looking at.
Buyers remorse mate. Don't regret the decision
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers