Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Return of the Living Dead Part II (Blu-ray)
$25.70
16 hrs ago
Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Truth or Dare (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Star Trek: Stardate Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99

Masters of Sex: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$35.99

Fraggle Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.99
14 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 02-21-2015, 12:21 AM   #1

Oct 2014
Australia Umbrella Entertainment Cult, Horror and Foreign Title Discussion Thread

Umbrella have stacked up some very exciting cult horror titles this year! First off, From Beyond (extended director's cut), Zombie Holocaust and Zombie Flesh Eaters. Now they're also bringing in Re-animator, I thought we would never have seen one get a proper video release in a while. The same for From Beyond. Don't know if it ever has been released in Australia, but happy to hear it's going to be supposedly uncut. For anyone who has purchased From Beyond, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Umbrella Blu-ray.

Umbrella's Best of Australian and/or Cult, Horror Blu-ray Titles:
UmbrellaImg.jpg

New release cult and horror titles:
umbimg3.jpg

Last edited by carpenteresque579; 02-21-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Thanks given by:
Dickieduvet (02-21-2015), jasonfloyd (02-21-2015), jkington (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 02:01 AM   #2
Special Member

Jun 2013
Melbourne

It's amazing how many of theses I have plus a fair few of their dvd releases. Without Umbrella we be ****ed down in this part of the world!
Old 02-21-2015, 02:08 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2014
Melbourne Australia

I have Stan for the trial month and watched Alvin Purple [which I thought i saw but just seen bits and pieces as the ending i cant remember] last night i'm hoping they release both Alvin Purple films on blu-ray
“When I walk around the streets of New York, I don’t hear an orchestra, I hear all the taxis and dogs and subways.” - Steven Spielberg

My Collection
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...4&categoryid=7
Old 02-21-2015, 03:09 AM   #4

May 2009
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic View Post
It's amazing how many of theses I have plus a fair few of their dvd releases. Without Umbrella we be ****ed down in this part of the world!
Only if we didn't have the ability to import though.

The release of 1080i Blu-Rays is their biggest hurdle to overcome.. once they can eliminate that by using a different source, they could gain more momentum in the horror genre by fans.

I think they could also learn a lot from Shout by introducing some 'Collectors Edition' range... which I guess they might be trying to do with the Alternate Artwork for their most recent horror releases.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:30 AM   #5
Banned

Jan 2015
australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLG1962 View Post
I have Stan for the trial month and watched Alvin Purple [which I thought i saw but just seen bits and pieces as the ending i cant remember] last night i'm hoping they release both Alvin Purple films on blu-ray

Alvin Purple is a R Rated film, so I doubt stan would of shown it uncut, probably would of been edited. As for the sequel, Meh.... not as good as AP, doubt either would get a blu release, only the first one possibly.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:46 AM   #6

Oct 2014

I would love to see Umbrella release John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 and The Fog on Blu-ray. I believe the only known copy to have Assault on is a Bare-bones DVD released by Universal. And it's not even in Carpenter's preferred ratio 2.35:1. There's not even a menu. The Fog was released by Studio Canal on Blu-ray, but it is in need of major remaster!
Old 02-21-2015, 04:55 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2014
Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JughedPJones View Post
Alvin Purple is a R Rated film, so I doubt stan would of shown it uncut, probably would of been edited. As for the sequel, Meh.... not as good as AP, doubt either would get a blu release, only the first one possibly.
I can assure you it wasn't cut lots of boobs bush and dick
“When I walk around the streets of New York, I don’t hear an orchestra, I hear all the taxis and dogs and subways.” - Steven Spielberg

My Collection
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...4&categoryid=7
Old 02-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
Special Member

Jun 2013
Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
Only if we didn't have the ability to import though.

The release of 1080i Blu-Rays is their biggest hurdle to overcome.. once they can eliminate that by using a different source, they could gain more momentum in the horror genre by fans.

I think they could also learn a lot from Shout by introducing some 'Collectors Edition' range... which I guess they might be trying to do with the Alternate Artwork for their most recent horror releases.
I agree with you about the special ed/collectors ed. I'd pay more whoever most punters wants blus for under than a fiver.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #9

Dec 2013
Melbourne

I've always been a huge supporter of Umbrella, I probably owned close to 100 of their DVDs before I sold most of my collection off.

I do have From Beyond though I'm yet to check it out. I think you're right that it was never released on DVD here.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:37 AM   #10

Oct 2014

What's surprising to me is Umbrella snagged most of, if not all the extras of the Scream Factory Blu-ray. But I am also astounded that Umbrella secured the rights to releasing this on Blu-ray. A dream come true. I always had hoped that Umbrella, being my favourite distributor of cult and horror, would be the ones to release From Beyond someday. I don't own a lot of their Blu-rays, but I do own some of their most treasured cult classics. Halloween is one of my personal favourites. Scanners is another of my favourites. I believe they even mastered their own source for that film. Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead are two of my all-time favourite Zombie movies of Romero's trilogy. I believe our release of Day of the Dead is the only Blu-ray to contain two of the more relevant and better commentaries, whereas the US and UK Blu-ray only have either of the two commentaries that are on the Umbrella. I recently purchased They Live and I'm happy with the Blu-ray.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:23 AM   #11

May 2009
New Zealand

It's not much of a surprise for me. Many companies 'share' their special features over different distributors if the price is right.

Criterion is probably the only one that won't let go of some exclusive stuff. Hell Warner Brothers doesn't even put out their special features worldwide either.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:18 AM   #12

Oct 2014

Quote:
It's not much of a surprise for me. Many companies 'share' their special features over different distributors if the price is right.

Criterion is probably the only one that won't let go of some exclusive stuff. Hell Warner Brothers doesn't even put out their special features worldwide either.
I somehow thought that Scream Factory were too proud of their extras that they rarely license them out. Arrow Video for the mot part do their own extras. Umbrella are also starting to! Usually, these big major studios are sometimes too fussy or aren't bothered to create their own extras or is the fact that the extras found on previous home video releases are already good enough, info wise.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:

Isn't that Shock who are the laziest in that regard?
Old 02-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #14

Jan 2015

In the release picture, there is 5 hellraiser films. I am sure umbrella only released 4.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #15
Banned

Feb 2015

Umbrella dvd's figure large in my collection mainly thanks to their superb releases of classic British tv shows like The Saint and Randall and Hopkirk + many others.

Not needed to get many of their Blurays but today got their Blu of El Cid and I found it to be disappointing with a soft image similar to that of our Sparatacus disc . Not as much detail there presumably due to removal of grain.
It is the 188 minute version which is several minutes longer apparently than either the UK or US discs but I don't know what those extra minutes are.
Still , one average release amongst so many greats is not a bad track record
Old 02-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #16

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Isn't that Shock who are the laziest in that regard?
Don't know much about Shock or Cinema Cult. Do you own any of their titles?What are there Blu-rays like? How does the main menu look for each of the movies!
Old 02-24-2015, 05:39 AM   #17

May 2009
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenteresque579 View Post
Don't know much about Shock or Cinema Cult. Do you own any of their titles?What are there Blu-rays like? How does the main menu look for each of the movies!
There is a thread for Cinema Cult / Shock, which lists some of their titles.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:25 AM   #18

Oct 2014

I have heard of some of their titles they've released, The Burning, The Beyond, Lifeforce, House by the cemetery, Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Do you own any of their Blu-rays! What does the main menu look on the discs.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:31 AM   #19

May 2009
New Zealand

Why bother making an 'Official Umbrella Discussion Thread' and then start asking about Shock titles before the first page is even finished.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:13 AM   #20

Oct 2014

Quote:
Why bother making an 'Official Umbrella Discussion Thread' and then start asking about Shock titles before the first page is even finished.

Okay, I may be getting off the main topic of discussion. I'll post the very question on the Cinema Cult thread. In that case, I then like to know if anyone has purchased 'The Prowler'.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia