Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Revolutionary Girl Utena: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$128.59
George A. Romero: Between Night and Dawn (Blu-ray)
$62.89
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$52.42
Atomic Blonde 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.75
Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Silicon Valley: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grimm: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$25.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$56.44
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.29
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 04-16-2017, 10:57 PM   #3181

Aug 2013
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpaholic View Post
After refoaming the rear surrounds, I recalibrated my levels. I did point the spl meter slightly forward to simulate/compensate for human ear design. I feel like I am getting good immersion now.

Next issue: I have DirecTV, but with my Denon set to Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround or Dolby Digital + Neural:X I am not getting any output from my left or right surround speakers. The 2 rears and 4 overheads are active. Anybody else experience this?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
I'm curious. What is "refoaming" a speaker? I have never heard that term. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #3182

Apr 2016
Great Mills, MD

Over time, foam dries out and rots away. Here are some before and after photos of refoaming of the 8" woofers of my Infinity SM-82 rear surrounds.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4: Infinity SM-125 (FL, FR); Infinity SM-Video (FC); Infinity SM-82 (SSL, SSR, RSL, RSR); Velodyne F-1200 (SW-1, SW-2); B&W CCM-362 (TFL, TFR, TRL, TRR)
Denon AVR-X6200W (7.2); Yamaha RX-V659 (.4 amp via multi-channel inputs)
Sony VPL-HW40ES; Screen innovations 5 Series 110" Motorized Flush Mount Slate 0.8; Sony KDS-60A2000
Oppo BDP-103; Sony DVP-NC85H (5 CD/DVD Carousel); Pioneer CLD-S201 (LaserDisc); DirecTV Genie HD DVR
Logitech Harmony 900
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (05-04-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #3183

Aug 2013
Los Angeles

Quote:
Over time, foam dries out and rots away. Here are some before and after photos of refoaming of the 8" woofers of my Infinity SM-82 rear surrounds.

Ahhh. I understand now. Thank you.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #3184
Expert Member

Sep 2010
idaho

Quote:
After refoaming the rear surrounds, I recalibrated my levels. I did point the spl meter slightly forward to simulate/compensate for human ear design. I feel like I am getting good immersion now.

Next issue: I have DirecTV, but with my Denon set to Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround or Dolby Digital + Neural:X I am not getting any output from my left or right surround speakers. The 2 rears and 4 overheads are active. Anybody else experience this?

don`t you mean that you did a recone of your speakers?
Old 04-16-2017, 11:42 PM   #3185

Apr 2016
Great Mills, MD

No. The foam surrounds were replaced.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4: Infinity SM-125 (FL, FR); Infinity SM-Video (FC); Infinity SM-82 (SSL, SSR, RSL, RSR); Velodyne F-1200 (SW-1, SW-2); B&W CCM-362 (TFL, TFR, TRL, TRR)
Denon AVR-X6200W (7.2); Yamaha RX-V659 (.4 amp via multi-channel inputs)
Sony VPL-HW40ES; Screen innovations 5 Series 110" Motorized Flush Mount Slate 0.8; Sony KDS-60A2000
Oppo BDP-103; Sony DVP-NC85H (5 CD/DVD Carousel); Pioneer CLD-S201 (LaserDisc); DirecTV Genie HD DVR
Logitech Harmony 900
Thanks given by:
prerich (05-02-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 11:49 PM   #3186
Expert Member

Sep 2010
idaho

Quote:
No. The foam surrounds were replaced.

I understand now. just learned something thanks
Old 04-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #3187
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Any suggetsions on how I could use these speakers for atmos effects without having to drill into walls? I need to get creative here without drilling into walls. Any help is welcome.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The world looks better through 4K Oled TV
WANTED: BOSS BABY AND KING ARTHUR ( 3D or 4K)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #3188

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
Any suggetsions on how I could use these speakers for atmos effects without having to drill into walls? I need to get creative here without drilling into walls. Any help is welcome.
There might be a way to get creative with some sort of pole mount option, but that would limit you to a front / rear height location option only (which is not necessarily a bad way to go) instead of having them positioned overhead. I know there are commercial pole mounts for speakers and subs, but they only seem to go up to about 5' from what I have seen. It might be worth making a run through Home Depot to see if they have something that you could make work somehow. Let them know what you are trying to do, and you might get lucky. Just a thought.
Mitsubishi HC7000 projector, Panamorph UH480 anamorphic lens, Stewart Studiotek 120" 2.35:1 screen, Marantz AV7702 MKII, Sherbourn 7/2100 amp (x2) Adcom GFA 7400 (x2) Monster HTPS 7000, Oppo BDP203, Sony SCD 555es, AAD Silver Reference 7, Silver Reference 3C, Silver Reference 1 (x4), AAD M5-t, M-5-x(x8), Seaton Submersive HP+/Slave combo, Def Tech Supercube II (x3), Dspeaker antimode 8033 sub eq system
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (04-17-2017), Scarriere (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #3189
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

What about simply placing them speakers facing up on either my front speakers or surround side speakers?
These are the front and side surround speakers I have. Their tops provide a flat and even surface:
Old 04-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #3190

Feb 2010

Quote:
What about simply placing them speakers facing up on either my front speakers or surround side speakers?
These are the front and side surround speakers I have. Their tops provide a flat and even surface:
That should work as long as it is not a vaulted ceiling. Add on speaker modules have been an option for awhile, and it looks like you should be able to aim the Polks in a way to possibly make it work.
Mitsubishi HC7000 projector, Panamorph UH480 anamorphic lens, Stewart Studiotek 120" 2.35:1 screen, Marantz AV7702 MKII, Sherbourn 7/2100 amp (x2) Adcom GFA 7400 (x2) Monster HTPS 7000, Oppo BDP203, Sony SCD 555es, AAD Silver Reference 7, Silver Reference 3C, Silver Reference 1 (x4), AAD M5-t, M-5-x(x8), Seaton Submersive HP+/Slave combo, Def Tech Supercube II (x3), Dspeaker antimode 8033 sub eq system
Old 04-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #3191
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
That should work as long as it is not a vaulted ceiling. Add on speaker modules have been an option for awhile, and it looks like you should be able to aim the Polks in a way to possibly make it work.
I would have to figure out how to place them on top of my bookshelves fronts or surrounds in a way that they won't fall, and facing the ceiling
Old 04-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #3192
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Ok just set up my new upfiring speakers. Are there any Atmos demos for download that are good options for testing the new setup? Or is the only good option getting a demo disc?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #3193
Power Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Ok just set up my new upfiring speakers. Are there any Atmos demos for download that are good options for testing the new setup? Or is the only good option getting a demo disc?
Let's see some pics!
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #3194
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneD5 View Post
Let's see some pics!
Atmos demos from USB didn't work on my Samsung player but they worked on my Sony player. I checked the Info and it was playing in Atmos! I honestly much prefer my new atmos configuration (not really atmos by the guidelines but I do get better atmos effects LOL)
I also tried a few more titles (not demos) including the new Underworld:Blood Wars. Really pleased with the new speakers placing thus far.What I am noticing more than anything else (when comparing to my previous front heights setup) is this:
whenever there is a scene where the one or two main actors are walking through a crowd, or are standing in the midst of a crowd talking, and we can hear the murmuring of that crowd, the voices of the main actors and the voices of the crowd do not feel as they are all coming from the same point or the same place, but rather feel like the murmuring of the crowd is coming from around the point where the voices of main actors are coming from. I thought that was really interesting.
I tried to play Avengers and whenever there was a scene with a crowd scattering in fear, with the main superheros at the center of the action, the voices of the crowd scattering felt like coming from all around the superheros rather than from the same exact spot...Not sure if what I said made any sense?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATMOS1.jpg (52.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg ATMOS2.jpg (34.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg ATMOS 3.jpg (29.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:58 AM   #3195

Feb 2010

Quote:
Atmos demos from USB didn't work on my Samsung player but they worked on my Sony player. I checked the Info and it was playing in Atmos! I honestly much prefer my new atmos configuration (not really atmos by the guidelines but I do get better atmos effects LOL)
I also tried a few more titles (not demos) including the new Underworld:Blood Wars. Really pleased with the new speakers placing thus far.What I am noticing more than anything else (when comparing to my previous front heights setup) is this:
whenever there is a scene where the one or two main actors are walking through a crowd, or are standing in the midst of a crowd talking, and we can hear the murmuring of that crowd, the voices of the main actors and the voices of the crowd do not feel as they are all coming from the same point or the same place, but rather feel like the murmuring of the crowd is coming from around the point where the voices of main actors are coming from. I thought that was really interesting.
I tried to play Avengers and whenever there was a scene with a crowd scattering in fear, with the main superheros at the center of the action, the voices of the crowd scattering felt like coming from all around the superheros rather than from the same exact spot...Not sure if what I said made any sense?
It does make sense as your processor is now able to send information elsewhere that used to be directed to your center or front three. It is not always the "hey notice me" effects of something happening overhead that make a great Atmos track to me, but sometimes it is something simple such as how voices sound different based on the setting. When a scene takes place in a warehouse or a church, you actually hear the difference because multiple speakers are working together to reproduce the dialogue. Don't get me wrong, I still appreciate the "hey notice me" effects too.

By the way, are you aiming your new Polks or are they firing straight up?
Old 04-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #3196
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
It does make sense as your processor is now able to send information elsewhere that used to be directed to your center or front three. It is not always the "hey notice me" effects of something happening overhead that make a great Atmos track to me, but sometimes it is something simple such as how voices sound different based on the setting. When a scene takes place in a warehouse or a church, you actually hear the difference because multiple speakers are working together to reproduce the dialogue. Don't get me wrong, I still appreciate the "hey notice me" effects too.

By the way, are you aiming your new Polks or are they firing straight up?
First of all, how in the world did you know those were Polks??
Second of all, since my MLP is completely pushed against the back wall, and since I am not allowed to drill into walls/ceiling, placing the back surround speakers (Polks, yes lol) on isolation foam pads on top of each DVD shelf (shelves standing on each side of MLP) helped tremendously.
The two back surround speakers are facing up, turned slightly in clockwise, at a slight degree since the foam pads they are sitting on are designed with a tilt.
I feel that pointing those speakers upward-due to the nature of my room settings-creates a much neater and less 'chaotic' effect than if they stood upright facing front.

Last edited by RockyIII; 04-28-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:51 AM   #3197

Feb 2010

Quote:
First of all, how in the world did you know those were Polks??
Second of all, since my MLP is completely pushed against the back wall, and since I am not allowed to drill into walls/ceiling, placing the back surround speakers (Polks, yes lol) on isolation foam pads on top of each DVD shelf (shelves standing on each side of MLP) helped tremendously.
The two back surround speakers are facing up, turned slightly in clockwise, at a slight degree since the foam pads they are sitting on are designed with a tilt.
I feel that pointing those speakers upward-due to the nature of my room settings-creates a much neater and less 'chaotic' effect than if they stood upright facing front.
Well played Sir. It looks like you got very creative and made it work. Did you have an opportunity to calibrate afterwards?
Old 04-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #3198
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Well played Sir. It looks like you got very creative and made it work. Did you have an opportunity to calibrate afterwards?
Yes. I used audyssey calibration. I have the two back surround speakers configured as side surround upfiring speakers, which my Denon offers as an option when calibrating.
I know it looks a little unorthodox but what I hear is exactly what Dolby describes. I tried front upfiring speakers and front height speakers and to me it all sounded like regular 5.1 would.
Upfiring speakers on top of DVD shelves now sit at approx. 4 feet from the floor and 5 feet from the ceiling, and now I can finally tell how sound bounces off the ceiling, resulting in a more '3D' sound (sound coming from the front, from the sides, and from above)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Last edited by RockyIII; 04-29-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #3199

Feb 2010

Quote:
Yes. I used audyssey calibration. I have the two back surround speakers configured as side surround upfiring speakers, which my Denon offers as an option when calibrating.
I know it looks a little unorthodox but what I hear is exactly what Dolby describes. I tried front upfiring speakers and front height speakers and to me it all sounded like regular 5.1 would.
Upfiring speakers on top of DVD shelves now sit at approx. 4 feet from the floor and 5 feet from the ceiling, and now I can finally tell how sound bounces off the ceiling, resulting in a more '3D' sound (sound coming from the front, from the sides, and from above)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Very cool. A lot of great titles to go check out. Welcome to the world of Atmos!
Old 04-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #3200
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Very cool. A lot of great titles to go check out. Welcome to the world of Atmos!
For a few months I had front upfiring and did not like that. I was advised to go with front heights and did not like that either. However I was told that atmos effects should be very subtle and that probably I was expecting too much out of them.
Well, I guess I was not expecting too much since now I can hear clearly overhead effects not just in Atmos, but also in DTS-H Master when I apply Neural X.
I think it is a combination of placing the speakers at the right distance and height from my MLP (my MLP is smack flat against the back wall) that is now allowing the speakers to 'breath', shooting sound at a slight angle towards the ceiling.
This is teh configuration I used before running Audyssey calibration, with the difference that the side atmos speakers were placed on the DVD shelves rather than on top of the side surround speakers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg surround.jpg (29.4 KB, 20 views)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion