Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The LEGO Batman Movie (Blu-ray)
$9.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ronin (Blu-ray)
$22.97
Spider-Man: Homecoming (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$149.61
CHiPS (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.35
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Fist Fight (Blu-ray)
$9.99
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 1 - Phantom Blood & Battle Tendency Arcs (Blu-ray)
$45.79
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.86
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 07-11-2016, 06:13 AM   #1

Aug 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Default curtains on walls.

I'm thinking of covering up my light colored walls with curtains. Looking for advice from anyone who has experience with this.

There are many ways to do this, but I'm not sure what works best for the lowest cost. Should I buy blackout curtains, or use fabric and hang them somehow. I don't know anything about sewing. What about curtain tracks that hang from the ceiling? Or can I just use curtain rods and still get a seamless look, like one continuous curtain?

I would love to see pictures and get some advice from anyone who has a room like this.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, USA ; I enjoy watching 3D blu-rays; 41 Blufans steels so far

My home theater room is painted white. I wanted to diminish light reflection from the projection screen as much as possible, so I hung black ceiling to floor curtains around the entire room -- and I did it on a budget.

I purchased 96-inch black curtains from Kohls.com that were on sale. I had a 30% off coupon and applied it to the order.

I picked up long black curtain rods from IKEA. They work great because several rods can be joined together to span the length of the room.

Curtains are hung on the side walls and back wall. I can open the curtains that cover the doors when necessary.

For the screen wall, I went to JoAnn's and picked up faux black velvet (40% coupon from JoAnn's website applied to the purchase). I stapled the black velvet to the entire wall around the projection screen. It looks amazing!

The floor is carpeted with a beige earth tone color. I bought 2 cheap black area rugs from Walmart and they cover the floor.

The result is a fantastic DARK theater room, with very little light reflection from the projection screen.

I do have one more project to do: blacking out the white ceiling using inexpensive black felt. I will either hot glue or staple it to the ceiling.

Good luck with your project.
BenQ HT1085ST 1080p 2D/3D DLP projector (135-inch 16:9 Silver Ticket screen)
EStar America ESG601 DLP Link 3D Glasses x 6
DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet HDMI Video Processor
Sony BDP-S5200 Region Free 2D/3D Blu-Ray Player
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2 Channel Receiver
Polk TL250 five-speaker set (1 center / 4 surrounds) + 2x Polk TL2 / Sony SA-W2500 100W powered subwoofer
4x ButtKicker Advance + 4x Buttkicker BKA300 amps installed in 4 recliners. Blufans VIP.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #3

Oct 2014

^^^^^ ---------- ^^^^^

I love everything this guy above me said. I only put up some stuff from JoAnns which covered the backwall with the TV, and kinda boxed in the area with more fabric on the ceiling above the TV.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
A bit off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycomet View Post
My home theater room is painted white. I wanted to diminish light reflection from the projection screen as much as possible, so I hung black ceiling to floor curtains around the entire room -- and I did it on a budget.

I purchased 96-inch black curtains from Kohls.com that were on sale. I had a 30% off coupon and applied it to the order.

I picked up long black curtain rods from IKEA. They work great because several rods can be joined together to span the length of the room.

Curtains are hung on the side walls and back wall. I can open the curtains that cover the doors when necessary.

For the screen wall, I went to JoAnn's and picked up faux black velvet (40% coupon from JoAnn's website applied to the purchase). I stapled the black velvet to the entire wall around the projection screen. It looks amazing!

The floor is carpeted with a beige earth tone color. I bought 2 cheap black area rugs from Walmart and they cover the floor.

The result is a fantastic DARK theater room, with very little light reflection from the projection screen.

I do have one more project to do: blacking out the white ceiling using inexpensive black felt. I will either hot glue or staple it to the ceiling.

Why not paint it black? (pun intended )
Don't complain Kubrick isn't around anymore when you have Fincher.

Self improvement is masturbation-Tyler Durden
Old 07-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #5

Aug 2011
Phoenix, Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycomet View Post

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking of doing. Even the Wal Mart rugs on my beige carpet. Only I would need 108" curtains, which are a little harder to find.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #6

Apr 2017
Ohio, USA

I'm hoping to revive this old thread to see if anyone will post pictures of their wall covering curtains. My theater room is a multi purpose room. I can't paint it dark, so I'm interested in dark curtains to cover the walls and maybe to provide a little acoustic treatment, since I can't put too much of that up either.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:33 PM   #7

Jun 2009
Near Seattle, WA

I used a long piece of PVC pipe as a curtian rod for the inside of my tv wall. I have 5 screws in the wall that hold the pvc and help form it to the curve of the inlet. I want to say its about a 10' single piece of PVC. To cover a basic wall, the same principal could be used, and if you need it longer you could use a coupler to keep it seemless. The curtains should slip right over it all.
Video/Samsung SUHD UN65JS8500 3D 4K, BenQ W1070 Projector,Elite Screens 125"
Receiver/ Pioneer SC-1523-k
Blu-ray player/ Oppo UDP-203 4k/Panasonic DMP-BDT500
Front Main L/R /KEF Q900's
Center Channel /KEF Q600C
Rear Channel /KEF Q300's

Subwoofer / Power Sound Audio XS30se
Power Conditioner/Monster Reference HTS 3500 MKii
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (04-16-2017), hagios (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Thumbs up Home Theatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3driver View Post
I used a long piece of PVC pipe as a curtian rod for the inside of my tv wall. I have 5 screws in the wall that hold the pvc and help form it to the curve of the inlet. I want to say its about a 10' single piece of PVC. To cover a basic wall, the same principal could be used, and if you need it longer you could use a coupler to keep it seemless. The curtains should slip right over it all.
You have one beautiful Home Theatre...how you must(I know I would) enjoy this every time you get a chance!
"In the dead of night, when the moon is high, and the ill winds blow, and the banshees cry, and the moonlight casts an unearthly glow...arise my love, with tales of woe!"
Jesus of Nazareth Hang'em High Wallander A Touch of Frost The Outlaw Josey Wales Dark Shadows Nightmare Theater The Big Valley...Bad Co Stryper Mozart Olafur Arnalds ABB...
"Perhaps Today"
"For many are called, but few are chosen"

Tigers 45-55
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Howdy Speed3driver; That is a very attractive set up in front . Job well done my friend .
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Samsung 47" 1080P HDTV, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
Old 04-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #10

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3driver View Post
That is impressive.
XBR65x930c | OLED65C7P | Marantz PD4220V | Marantz AV8802A | MM7050 | MM8077 | NR1607 | UD5007 | Panamax M5300-PM | PlayStation 3 Launch | PlayStation 3 Slim | PlayStation 4 Pro | PlayStation 4 20th Anniversary | Xbox 360 Elite | Xbox one S
Old 04-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #11

Feb 2008
Default Dump the TV

With a set-up like that I would dump the TV and get a real screen and projector. Would be soo much more cooler.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #12
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLAY View Post
With a set-up like that I would dump the TV and get a real screen and projector. Would be soo much more cooler.
He already has a 125" motorized screen that drop's in front of the HDTV along with a great quality projector .
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Samsung 47" 1080P HDTV, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
Old 04-24-2017, 07:40 AM   #13

Apr 2017

This is my next project, but it's more expensive than expected because I'm living in Berlin.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction