Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The LEGO Batman Movie (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fist Fight (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.86
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 1 - Phantom Blood & Battle Tendency Arcs (Blu-ray)
$45.79
Stormy Monday (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Split (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Nice Guys (Blu-ray)
$7.00
The Stendhal Syndrome (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Fifty Shades Darker (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Maurice (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Nocturnal Animals (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Live by Night (Blu-ray)
$10.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #141
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Thanks, my friend; good to hear from you too -- and I hope all is well on your end, also.

I have actually been toying with the idea of maybe getting a pro amp, like a Crown or QSC, and driving the RTi12 mains with it...or perhaps two pro mono amps and driving each of the Polks with them; don't know what I am going to do yet.

I'll respond to Russ' last replies to me as soon as I can...
Time to jump in this thread . When using pro amps on mains...you need to pay attention to the S/N ratio....you need something >100db or the amp will be too noisy (and I'm not even talking fan noise yet). You want an amp that will put out a clean signal. If you're using a Crown - don't use a low level Crown (unless it's for subwoofers - you don't have to worry that much about S/N for subs).

Next - will you be able to hear the amp's fan/s while your content is playing? Fan noise is a real issue with pro amps. The Behringer EP4000 is a great amp - but it's as loud as a jet. Most people that use it - mod the fan. I have a Behringer NU4-6000 - it's quieter than the EP4000 that I used to own a while back - but I'd still like to make it silent. I'm glad my equipment is off set so I can't hear the fan.

Pro amps are a bargain, but know what you're getting into and what you're using them for. Most people use them for subs, but very good ones can be used for mains.
Infinity Composition Prelude P-FR, Infinity Composition Overture 1 - center, 2 Infinity QPS-1 front pres & side, Infinty P-QPS rear pres, NXT (X2) rear, Infinity QPS-1 overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Yamaha Aventage RX-A3020 (front presence and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear presence), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Infocus 1080p 3D Proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #142
DangeRuss DangeRuss is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
DangeRuss's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
230
430
354
74
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Funny , as I was thinking the same thing myself a few days ago. When our good friend Intellivolume started this thread months ago about buying an external amp, I jumped in, then good buddy callas jumped on board, then everyones buddy DangeRuss ( take a bow ) got involved along with many others and this thing just kept on going. A butt load of great advice came out of this thread . C'mon guys/girls, we need a great question that will spark a big discussion, lets keep this thing going .


Well it seems .................... This thread is coming back to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Hi fellas, I'm here - just trying to figure out what to do 😊
I've got another great suggestion ....................

You could take those funds that are burning a hole in your pocket and spend it on more media (Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, LPs etc.), you may get more enjoyment that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Thanks, my friend; good to hear from you too -- and I hope all is well on your end, also.

I have actually been toying with the idea of maybe getting a pro amp, like a Crown or QSC, and driving the RTi12 mains with it...or perhaps two pro mono amps and driving each of the Polks with them; don't know what I am going to do yet.
I just left a pretty good suggestion above

Quote:
I'll respond to Russ' last replies to me as soon as I can...
I'm looking forward to reading them

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Time to jump in this thread . When using pro amps on mains...you need to pay attention to the S/N ratio....you need something >100db or the amp will be too noisy (and I'm not even talking fan noise yet). You want an amp that will put out a clean signal. If you're using a Crown - don't use a low level Crown (unless it's for subwoofers - you don't have to worry that much about S/N for subs).

Next - will you be able to hear the amp's fan/s while your content is playing? Fan noise is a real issue with pro amps. The Behringer EP4000 is a great amp - but it's as loud as a jet. Most people that use it - mod the fan. I have a Behringer NU4-6000 - it's quieter than the EP4000 that I used to own a while back - but I'd still like to make it silent. I'm glad my equipment is off set so I can't hear the fan.

Pro amps are a bargain, but know what you're getting into and what you're using them for. Most people use them for subs, but very good ones can be used for mains.


Great to see you coming to chime in with your expertise .

What do you think of my posts thusfar ?
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #143
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post


Well it seems .................... This thread is coming back to life



I've got another great suggestion ....................

You could take those funds that are burning a hole in your pocket and spend it on more media (Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, LPs etc.), you may get more enjoyment that way



I just left a pretty good suggestion above



I'm looking forward to reading them





Great to see you coming to chime in with your expertise .

What do you think of my posts thusfar ?
Pretty good...as per usual
Infinity Composition Prelude P-FR, Infinity Composition Overture 1 - center, 2 Infinity QPS-1 front pres & side, Infinty P-QPS rear pres, NXT (X2) rear, Infinity QPS-1 overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Yamaha Aventage RX-A3020 (front presence and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear presence), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Infocus 1080p 3D Proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #144
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Special Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Time to jump in this thread . When using pro amps on mains...you need to pay attention to the S/N ratio....you need something >100db or the amp will be too noisy (and I'm not even talking fan noise yet). You want an amp that will put out a clean signal. If you're using a Crown - don't use a low level Crown (unless it's for subwoofers - you don't have to worry that much about S/N for subs).

Next - will you be able to hear the amp's fan/s while your content is playing? Fan noise is a real issue with pro amps. The Behringer EP4000 is a great amp - but it's as loud as a jet. Most people that use it - mod the fan. I have a Behringer NU4-6000 - it's quieter than the EP4000 that I used to own a while back - but I'd still like to make it silent. I'm glad my equipment is off set so I can't hear the fan.

Pro amps are a bargain, but know what you're getting into and what you're using them for. Most people use them for subs, but very good ones can be used for mains.
Thanks for your input here. It will be taken into consideration.
5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Pre-Installed In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700

2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120 PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #145
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Special Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
It's really funny that you're mentioning this when it comes to DVD's ............. Because if you'll notice on my personal thread (in the home theater gallery threads) http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=119038 It took me a while to make the switch to blu-ray primarily for two reasons .......

1) The Blu-ray/ HD-DVD wars were still going on strong and I wanted to wait for a victor plus .....

2) I had already owned the Oppo DV-983H universal DVD player (which the BDP-83 was based on) in my system.

Back in 2008 I still remember when I upgraded to the Oppo for my brand new plasma panel how much better my DVD's looked (due to the reasons you mentioned above) and sounded (due to the upgraded DAC's and OP amp) on that screen and system. It was to the point that all of my friends who've come to my house during that period swore I had a HD player . I was so happy with that player, it allowed me the opportunity to wait for Oppo to develop a blu-ray deck (the BDP-83). Matter of fact, the 83 would still be in my main system if it weren't for the two major upgrades the 103 affords me. And in some ways I still prefer it (the 83)

So I do ................. really understand your views on DVD's and their place in the world ..... I still buy them from time to time due to the much larger library compared to Blu-ray and some titles are just not available in HD.

Heck ................... I believe DVD's still outpace Blu's when it comes to total sales.
Indeed.

Quote:
What I was talking about has nothing to do with lossless soundtracks, but the overall perceived benefit / if at all you would realize listening to anything/everything
So...what are we talking about again?

Quote:
I would say .................... There are too many reasons to list here but .........................

Most of the people who go that route (and in the greater scheme of things aren't too many) do because they listen differently. Some because they have larger rooms to fill and their AVR's aren't up to the task. And others purely because they can
Fair enough...

Quote:
Well ............................. Because of our differences of opinion when it comes to lossless vs. lossy, I don't know what the term "real world difference" means or whether or not you'd ever be able to achieve it

Remember .................. For your bass frequencies your sub/subs are doing the heavy lifting ......

But once again ...................... What are you trying to obtain if your system is playing more than loud enough as it is ?
I see your points and understand the queries behind them; I suppose this isn't something I'm going to be able to settle via an Internet discussion forum.

If I can get closer to knowing what the best way of amping which channels would be, perhaps we could get more focused on the answer...

Two channel amp just for the two mains, three channel amp for the mains and center, mono blocks for the mains, etc...

Quote:
Here's a quick question for ya ...........................

Which device is doing the decoding ........ Your AVR or the BDP ?

It can make a difference.
Always the AVR.
5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Pre-Installed In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700

2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120 PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #146
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Try and have the three mains with the same type amplification - (three monoblocks, a three channel amp etc). Those three set the bed for the entire event (dialog, main sounds, you get the drift ). The rears can be powered from the AVR. In my system the receiver only functions as a prepro (so it might as well be a Yamaha CX-5000 without balanced preouts). All of my subs are passive designs and are powered by an outboard amp .

I'm a tweaker - and somewhat of a control freak when it comes down to audio. Being a Crypto Tech doesn't help either - I love understand what makes this stuff tick.
Infinity Composition Prelude P-FR, Infinity Composition Overture 1 - center, 2 Infinity QPS-1 front pres & side, Infinty P-QPS rear pres, NXT (X2) rear, Infinity QPS-1 overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Yamaha Aventage RX-A3020 (front presence and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear presence), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Infocus 1080p 3D Proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (04-19-2017), Dwayne (04-18-2017), IntelliVolume (04-18-2017), Krelldog1977 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #147
Dwayne Dwayne is offline
Expert Member
 
Dwayne's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
1
Default

I managed to talk my friend into letting me hook up his EMO XPA-5 channel amp to my 5.2 set up that consist of a Denon 4520 AVR, Polk Audio RTi12 tower's-main's, Polk CS 2 center, JBL ES 80s tower's surround's, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk 10" PSW 110 Sub. I was slightly impressed with the outcome as it did bring a slightly better dynamic's in sound with not as much volume as I normally run. It made a good improvement on BD movie's/concert's, and SACDs. When listening to CDs and streaming music off Spotify, not too much difference. Having said this, my system without the EMO play's BD movie's/concert's very well, so I guess what I am trying to say is that I certainly liked what the external amp added in term's of dynamic's, but other than that, well let's just say that it was not as much improvement as I was anticipating. I was expecting this thing to make my . Bottom line is that my system sound's great without it, but if I could afford the addition of this Emo XPA-5 amp I would, but a good quality external amp is not cheap so I opt to use the money somewhere else as I still have a few weak link's in my set up. . So now I know what to expect if I do decide to purchase one in the future: as I will at some point. It really did make me to unhook and return this amp .
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Samsung 47" 1080P HDTV, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER

Last edited by Dwayne; 04-18-2017 at 07:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (04-19-2017), IntelliVolume (04-18-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #148
DangeRuss DangeRuss is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
DangeRuss's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
230
430
354
74
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

So...what are we talking about again?
Maybe .......................

External Amplification and when and why someone would use it or if it is even necessary ...................

Was that it ?

Quote:
If I can get closer to knowing what the best way of amping which channels would be, perhaps we could get more focused on the answer...

Two channel amp just for the two mains, three channel amp for the mains and center, mono blocks for the mains, etc...
If you feel you must use external amplification then outside of using a unit to amplify all of your channels, a 2 or 3 channel unit for the fronts would be in order ................

But like external amp question itself .......... There is no best way to accomplish your goals and only you can decide what route to take.

Quote:
Always the AVR.
In my systems it's just the opposite ....................

Due to the age of my pre/pro in the livingroom and the AVR in my office I use the analog outputs of the BDP 103 & 80 letting them handle all of the decoding duties .......... Besides ... they are generally better at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Try and have the three mains with the same type amplification - (three monoblocks, a three channel amp etc). Those three set the bed for the entire event (dialog, main sounds, you get the drift ). The rears can be powered from the AVR. In my system the receiver only functions as a prepro (so it might as well be a Yamaha CX-5000 without balanced preouts). All of my subs are passive designs and are powered by an outboard amp .

I'm a tweaker - and somewhat of a control freak when it comes down to audio. Being a Crypto Tech doesn't help either - I love understand what makes this stuff tick.
Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
I managed to talk my friend into letting me hook up his EMO XPA-5 channel amp to my 5.2 set up that consist of a Denon 4520 AVR, Polk Audio RTi12 tower's-main's, Polk CS 2 center, JBL ES 80s tower's surround's, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk 10" PSW 110 Sub. I was slightly impressed with the outcome as it did bring a slightly better dynamic's in sound with not as much volume as I normally run. It made a good improvement on BD movie's/concert's, and SACDs. When listening to CDs and streaming music off Spotify, not too much difference. Having said this, my system without the EMO play's BD movie's/concert's very well, so I guess what I am trying to say is that I certainly liked what the external amp added in term's of dynamic's, but other than that, well let's just say that it was not as much improvement as I was anticipating. I was expecting this thing to make my . Bottom line is that my system sound's great without it, but if I could afford the addition of this Emo XPA-5 amp I would, but a good quality external amp is not cheap so I opt to use the money somewhere else as I still have a few weak link's in my set up. . So now I know what to expect if I do decide to purchase one in the future: as I will at some point. It really did make me to unhook and return this amp .
And that my friend was basically what I was trying to get at this whole time ...................... External Amps are not a magic bullet that will transform your system from what it already is ...... In some cases it can provide a small increase in performance though. I think there is more value and benefit in treating your room acoustically .... as the room is one of the most important factors in determining a systems sound .

It was nice that your friend let you borrow his amp so that you could hear the difference for yourself
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #149
Dwayne Dwayne is offline
Expert Member
 
Dwayne's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
1
Default

Yes, what I have been told by all of you expert's on this topic was true . No magic bullet at all, just slightly better dynamic's in sound, and the extra power that it brought was hardly noticeable at all .
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Samsung 47" 1080P HDTV, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #150
DangeRuss DangeRuss is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
DangeRuss's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
230
430
354
74
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Yes, what I have been told by all of you expert's on this topic was true . No magic bullet at all, just slightly better dynamic's in sound, and the extra power that it brought was hardly noticeable at all .
Oh ................................. Did you get the PM I sent you ?
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #151
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Special Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
Maybe .......................

External Amplification and when and why someone would use it or if it is even necessary ...................

Was that it ?
No, I meant the specific conversation we were having outside of the primary one (i.e. not the discussion regarding external amplification)...

Quote:
If you feel you must use external amplification then outside of using a unit to amplify all of your channels, a 2 or 3 channel unit for the fronts would be in order ................

But like external amp question itself .......... There is no best way to accomplish your goals and only you can decide what route to take.
How can there be no "best way" to accomplish one's goals? There must be...or to get as close as possible...

I think we're making some headway here -- perhaps in the analysis of using a two or three-channel model for the front soundstage...

Here's an interesting tidbit:

There's a member on here, I believe it's "badas" from Australia, who had a thread concerning a slew of Marantz components he purchased -- if I recall correctly, he bought TWO of the company's five-channel power amps, the matching processor and maybe something else...when someone asked him what he needed 10 or more channels of EXTERNAL amplification for, he stated what he was going to do with his setup and it was pretty overwhelming to even READ...

He mentioned something about using each of the channels of each Marantz amp in a certain bi-amped configuration so that EACH DRIVER of EACH of his speakers would be INDIVIDUALLY POWERED by the components of these amps....can you imagine? In other words, EACH TWEETER would receive a crossed-over supply of juice, EACH MIDRANGE DRIVER would receive the same and EACH WOOFER would get the same, making use of the 10-plus channels of amplification offered by the two-amp setup...

It blew my mind...and then I began thinking...

"And I only want to buy ONE power amplifier to run THREE channels? That can't nearly be enough......"



Quote:
In my systems it's just the opposite ....................

Due to the age of my pre/pro in the livingroom and the AVR in my office I use the analog outputs of the BDP 103 & 80 letting them handle all of the decoding duties .......... Besides ... they are generally better at it
That hasn't been my experience -- I have always preferred letting a downstream processor or AVR do the decoding.
5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Pre-Installed In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700

2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120 PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #152
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Special Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Try and have the three mains with the same type amplification - (three monoblocks, a three channel amp etc). Those three set the bed for the entire event (dialog, main sounds, you get the drift ). The rears can be powered from the AVR. In my system the receiver only functions as a prepro (so it might as well be a Yamaha CX-5000 without balanced preouts). All of my subs are passive designs and are powered by an outboard amp .

I'm a tweaker - and somewhat of a control freak when it comes down to audio. Being a Crypto Tech doesn't help either - I love understand what makes this stuff tick.
Thanks for your input here, prerich; so if I go for a three-channel model, let's say...do you think my RTi12s would receive enough juice in this configuration even if the amp is still powering the center channel? Is there a certain "bridged" configuration I could use on a model from a brand say like Emotiva, which would push more power to just the left and right mains?
5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Pre-Installed In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700

2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120 PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:07 PM   #153
Dwayne Dwayne is offline
Expert Member
 
Dwayne's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
Oh ................................. Did you get the PM I sent you ?
Yes, and I completely agree with you . Thank's Russ .
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Samsung 47" 1080P HDTV, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #154
Dwayne Dwayne is offline
Expert Member
 
Dwayne's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Thanks for your input here, prerich; so if I go for a three-channel model, let's say...do you think my RTi12s would receive enough juice in this configuration even if the amp is still powering the center channel? Is there a certain "bridged" configuration I could use on a model from a brand say like Emotiva, which would push more power to just the left and right mains?
While I had the EMO XPA-5, I asked my buddy if he could just hook up my Polk's RTi 12s, with and without the center, so I could see just how much difference it made on the front stage. He advised me that EMO 5-channel did not recommend this, however he did just for about 10 minute's, and with the center in the mix, the sound up front did sound a little better ( my center channel is a very weak link ) . Without the center, just the Polk's up front did sound better by making them a little brighter/cleaner sounding, but that's not because of the extra power the amp brought, it was the dynamic's as it sounded the same way with all 5- channel's running. I'm not sure how much juice this EMO brought to the table, but I can say that only a Slightly Better Sound Stage was had by hooking it up. Brighter/Cleaner Sound is the best way I can describe what the amp brought, but when I say slightly better, I mean Slightly, Sorry .
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Samsung 47" 1080P HDTV, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #155
DangeRuss DangeRuss is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
DangeRuss's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
230
430
354
74
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
No, I meant the specific conversation we were having outside of the primary one (i.e. not the discussion regarding external amplification)...
Due to my advanced age .................... I don't remember

Quote:
How can there be no "best way" to accomplish one's goals? There must be...or to get as close as possible...
Because .......................... There are so many different ways to accomplish a given goal, none of which are best or worst

Quote:
I think we're making some headway here -- perhaps in the analysis of using a two or three-channel model for the front soundstage...
If that's the route you wish to take ...........................

Quote:
Here's an interesting tidbit:

There's a member on here, I believe it's "badas" from Australia, who had a thread concerning a slew of Marantz components he purchased -- if I recall correctly, he bought TWO of the company's five-channel power amps, the matching processor and maybe something else...when someone asked him what he needed 10 or more channels of EXTERNAL amplification for, he stated what he was going to do with his setup and it was pretty overwhelming to even READ...
Yes ............ That is Badas AKA DonoCan from New Zealand who has rig you're talking about.

He's one of the only other members on these threads to have his system configured the way I have mine (2x 5 channel amps) to bi-amp our 5 channel theaters. We've had many discussions on the various channel assignments, crosstalk issues, system cooling, etc.

Quote:
He mentioned something about using each of the channels of each Marantz amp in a certain bi-amped configuration so that EACH DRIVER of EACH of his speakers would be INDIVIDUALLY POWERED by the components of these amps....can you imagine? In other words, EACH TWEETER would receive a crossed-over supply of juice, EACH MIDRANGE DRIVER would receive the same and EACH WOOFER would get the same, making use of the 10-plus channels of amplification offered by the two-amp setup...
That's not quite true .....................

What is actually happening here is .............. Our woofer sections for ALL 5 speakers receive their own amplifier channel while our tweeter or midrange/tweeter sections for all five speakers receive their own amplifier channel as well . But to do this ......All of your speakers would need to have 2 sets of 5 way binding posts so they could be fed the separate amplification.


Here's my control rack ...................................

[Show spoiler]


And my 2 five channel amps .............................

[Show spoiler]


Quote:
It blew my mind...and then I began thinking...

"And I only want to buy ONE power amplifier to run THREE channels? That can't nearly be enough......"

To do what ? ........................

You've got to remember ................ Badas and I have processors so we NEED power amps to make our systems run and we chose 10 channels to get the cleanest current to our speakers with plenty of headroom within reason. We also chose identical amps so there would be no difference in gain throughout their range

Quote:
That hasn't been my experience -- I have always preferred letting a downstream processor or AVR do the decoding.
One of the reasons for choosing and using the Oppo's for me is their superior decoders ......... So why wouldn't I use them

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Thanks for your input here, prerich; so if I go for a three-channel model, let's say...do you think my RTi12s would receive enough juice in this configuration even if the amp is still powering the center channel? Is there a certain "bridged" configuration I could use on a model from a brand say like Emotiva, which would push more power to just the left and right mains?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Yes, and I completely agree with you . Thank's Russ .
Not a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
While I had the EMO XPA-5, I asked my buddy if he could just hook up my Polk's RTi 12s, with and without the center, so I could see just how much difference it made on the front stage. He advised me that EMO 5-channel did not recommend this, however he did just for about 10 minute's, and with the center in the mix, the sound up front did sound a little better ( my center channel is a very weak link ) . Without the center, just the Polk's up front did sound better by making them a little brighter/cleaner sounding, but that's not because of the extra power the amp brought, it was the dynamic's as it sounded the same way with all 5- channel's running. I'm not sure how much juice this EMO brought to the table, but I can say that only a Slightly Better Sound Stage was had by hooking it up. Brighter/Cleaner Sound is the best way I can describe what the amp brought, but when I say slightly better, I mean Slightly, Sorry .
Were you playing music or movies for these tests ? ..............

And I wonder why EMO doesn't recommend playing less channels
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:45 PM   #156
Dwayne Dwayne is offline
Expert Member
 
Dwayne's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
1
Default

Yes, I used Blue-ray-all with DolbyTrue/Master Audio codec's on movies, BD-Audio Music, SACD's, CD's along with Spotify Streaming. Why Emotiva recommend's not to run just a few channel's on a 5-channel amp, I do not know.
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Samsung 47" 1080P HDTV, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #157
DangeRuss DangeRuss is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
DangeRuss's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
230
430
354
74
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Yes, I used Blue-ray-all with DolbyTrue/Master Audio codec's on movies, BD-Audio Music, SACD's, CD's along with Spotify Streaming. Why Emotiva recommend's not to run just a few channel's on a 5-channel amp, I do not know.
It seems rather curious ......................... I'm going to take a trip over to their website and see why that is
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 07:48 PM   #158
Dwayne Dwayne is offline
Expert Member
 
Dwayne's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
It seems rather curious ......................... I'm going to take a trip over to their website and see why that is
Strictly based on what my friend say's.
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Samsung 47" 1080P HDTV, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #159
DangeRuss DangeRuss is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
DangeRuss's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
230
430
354
74
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Strictly based on what my friend say's.
I see it does get mentioned on their lounge site ...........

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/18328
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #160
DangeRuss DangeRuss is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
DangeRuss's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
230
430
354
74
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss
Default

Here's a few links to sites that explain amplifier power versus sound output

http://www.crownaudio.com/en/tools/c...power_required

http://www.chuckhawks.com/speaker_spl_amp_power.htm

http://www.axiomaudio.com/blog/power

I hope this clears up what is necessary and what isn't when it comes to adding them .........
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (04-23-2017)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:40 PM.