Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Wars: The Force Awakens (iTunes)$14.99 Finding Dory (iTunes)$14.99 Moana (iTunes)$14.99 Krampus (iTunes)$9.99
Cars 3 (iTunes)$12.99 Bad Santa 2 (iTunes)$2.99 Monsters University (iTunes)$14.99
The Muppet Christmas Carol (iTunes)$9.99
The Good Dinosaur (iTunes)$14.99
Inside Out (iTunes)$14.99
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (iTunes)$14.99 Pinocchio (iTunes)$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 04-20-2017, 01:41 AM   #61
Special Member

Jan 2010
Gulf of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
So as long as Walmart is around I shouldnt worry, correct?
I'm a huge Vudu supporter, but I will say that around 2005 Walmart used to sell digital music. You could buy MP3s from them, but they would only play on authenticated PCs. I only owned a handful of songs, but Walmart didn't support the service very long after they quit selling digital music. They didn't sell off the service, they just shut the servers down and you can't even authenticate your previous legitimate purchases.

So to say just because "It's Walmart! Everything is safe." That's not entirely true.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:44 AM   #62
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFelon View Post
I'm a huge Vudu supporter, but I will say that around 2005 Walmart used to sell digital music. You could buy MP3s from them, but they would only play on authenticated PCs. I only owned a handful of songs, but Walmart didn't support the service very long after they quit selling digital music. They didn't sell off the service, they just shut the servers down and you can't even authenticate your previous legitimate purchases.

So to say just because "It's Walmart! Everything is safe." That's not entirely true.
Mind blown! I have said "it's Walmart" from the start and never felt worried until now.
There's something really scary about a guy with a knife who just... snaps
Old 04-20-2017, 02:16 AM   #63
Special Member

Jan 2010
Gulf of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Cool View Post
Mind blown! I have said "it's Walmart" from the start and never felt worried until now.
That is why UV and DMA are so important. With those you are not solely relying on 1 content provider.
Thanks given by:
huskerbear (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 05:39 AM   #64
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
The Road to Nowhere.

Quote:

Walmart purchased VUDU as an already established entity, it's not like it's digital music service that they just created out of thin air in hopes to establish something that never caught on for them. Walmart would most definitely look for a buyer to purchase VUDU in my opinion.
But anything is possible and thankfully the sky isn't falling yet.
Thanks given by:
KFelon (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #65
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
That is why UV and DMA are so important. With those you are not solely relying on 1 content provider.
Are you saying that you can redeem UV codes on more than just one content provider at a time?
"What is seen cannot be unseen. What is known cannot be unknown. If given the opportunity, I would overwhelmingly prefer to watch Dolby Vision content over HDR10"
Old 04-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #66
Special Member

Jan 2010
Gulf of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blufan View Post
Walmart purchased VUDU as an already established entity, it's not like it's digital music service that they just created
That is very good to know. I've been using the service for years, but was not aware of VUDU's independent origins.

Quote:
Are you saying that you can redeem UV codes on more than just one content provider at a time?
Not at all. Most UV movies port to other UV providers through the UltraViolet locker system. IE, the usual suspects Flixster Video, Fandango Now, & Cinema Now. So if something did happen to VUDU, there are other providers out there.

I don't worry about it too much myself and plan to keep using and supporting VUDU.
Thanks given by:
1blufan (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #67
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin44 View Post
^Like Crackedknee says, your major concern would be about UV, not Vudu.

Even if Vudu went down, you would still have your movies in your UV locker. And your Disney movies would still be stored in your separate Disney's library.

(Any non-UV titles you buy on Vudu, you could be at risk for losing.....if Vudu somehow went under. That would be your major worry. Since everything that is UV you could still play on CinemaNow, Flixster or whatever.)

I don't see Vudu going away, but no one can say for 100% certainty.
Are you saying that all the uv codes I redeemed up to now and watched on vudu i can mive them to-say-Cinemanow?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
"What is seen cannot be unseen. What is known cannot be unknown. If given the opportunity, I would overwhelmingly prefer to watch Dolby Vision content over HDR10"
Old 04-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #68
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
The Road to Nowhere.

Quote:
Are you saying that all the uv codes I redeemed up to now and watched on vudu i can mive them to-say-Cinemanow?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

You won't move them, they do what's called porting. Meaning you have lets say 3 streaming services that are UV enabled. No matter what service you redeem your UV code on they will port across all 3 services. The key is your UV library. When you signed up for say VUDU you also had to sign up for a UV account, which is separate. If you go to your UV account you can pick and choose your streaming providers, basically where you want your movies to show up. If you pick, lets say all 3 of those streaming services then your UV library will port all of your UV enabled films to all 3 services.
DMA (Disney Movies Anywhere) works basically the same way. The films are stored in your DMA account and then you choose the additional streaming services you would like to have those movies in also.
So short answer to your question is to go to your UV account and pick more services you would like your movies ported to. You do NOT have to choose just one, meaning if you have all your movie on VUDU but you also want say Cinemanow, you don't have to choose one or the other.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #69
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blufan View Post
You won't move them, they do what's called porting. Meaning you have lets say 3 streaming services that are UV enabled. No matter what service you redeem your UV code on they will port across all 3 services. The key is your UV library. When you signed up for say VUDU you also had to sign up for a UV account, which is separate. If you go to your UV account you can pick and choose your streaming providers, basically where you want your movies to show up. If you pick, lets say all 3 of those streaming services then your UV library will port all of your UV enabled films to all 3 services.
DMA (Disney Movies Anywhere) works basically the same way. The films are stored in your DMA account and then you choose the additional streaming services you would like to have those movies in also.
So short answer to your question is to go to your UV account and pick more services you would like your movies ported to. You do NOT have to choose just one, meaning if you have all your movie on VUDU but you also want say Cinemanow, you don't have to choose one or the other.
Very useful info! I always only choose VuDu because ater comparing them all VuDu seems to be the best streaming quality, sometimes almost as good as bluray, and the FF/RW/Pause commands work super!
Old 04-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #70
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007

Quote:
If anything, the fact that it is Walmart is all the more reason to not feel safe.
Say "no" to Samsung Blu-Ray players. Say "yes" to a whole lot more.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #71
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
If anything, the fact that it is Walmart is all the more reason to not feel safe.
I shop at Walmart...will I get discounts on VuDu purchases?
Old 04-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #72
Expert Member

Aug 2012
Archbury

Quote:
You can create accounts at CinemaNow, FandangoNow & Flixster Video, link them to your UV account and see for yourself right now.

With a few exceptions where a given vendor doesn't offer a title at all, or for some reason they don't have it UV enabled, all of your UV movies will be available at all of the vendors your UV account is linked to.

Quote:
I shop at Walmart...will I get discounts on VuDu purchases?
Sometimes certain products will offer Vudu credits...
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 11:40 PM   #73
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011

I think the best assumption is that you do not strictly 'own' any digital copies and that they could all be pulled away for any reason or no reason at all. No one should look at Vudu, DMA, UV etc and assume they'll be around forever - like all things in life something different will eventually come along and that digital streaming collection of yours will be a relic. The downside is that you could doggedly hold on to your VHS tapes and purchase a VHS player even now, but when digital goes belly up there may be nothing to preserve. It's best to really understand digital as 'indefinite rentals' that you don't strictly own or control with no real legal protections. There's a small chance Vudu or UV will somehow stick around but some digital vendors, like CinemaNow, are struggling more than growing. UV has not been universally adopted and is still very much a large Hollywood studio arrangement not really open to smaller indie films and confined to the success of those studios that support it like Universal, Sony, Fox, WB, Lionsgate, etc

Last edited by Undeadcow; 04-20-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Thanks given by:
crackedknee (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #74
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
I think the best assumption is that you do not strictly 'own' any digital copies and that they could all be pulled away for any reason or no reason at all. No one should look at Vudu, DMA, UV etc and assume they'll be around forever - like all things in life something different will eventually come along and that digital streaming collection of yours will be a relic. The downside is that you could doggedly hold on to your VHS tapes and purchase a VHS player even now, but when digital goes belly up there may be nothing to preserve. It's best to really understand digital as 'indefinite rentals' that you don't strictly own or control with no real legal protections. There's a small chance Vudu or UV will somehow stick around but some digital vendors, like CinemaNow, are struggling more than growing. UV has not been universally adopted and is still very much a large Hollywood studio arrangement not really open to smaller indie films and confined to the success of those studios that support it like Universal, Sony, Fox, WB, Lionsgate, etc
True. i never thought I would have seen the day that BlockBuster Video would go bankrupt, but at least all those blurays and DVDs we might have purchased from Blockbuster did not disappear along with the company
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies