Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
I, Frankenstein 3D (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Dredd 3D (Blu-ray)
$3.74
Ghost in the Shell 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.89
The Lorax 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.02
Oz the Great and Powerful 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.97
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Last Reef: Cities Beneath the Sea 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.55
Passengers 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Kraftwerk: 3-D The Catalogue (Blu-ray)
$169.99
The LEGO Batman Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.19
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 04-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #101

Aug 2008
Tucson, AZ

I know nothing about the video game. The acting was fine, but I thought the characters were underdeveloped. I never felt a connection with them and didn't care about their fate. The story... I'll leave to personal taste. I liked the idea of 'the apple',
[Show spoiler]but I was disappointed.. When finally revealed 'in action' (which did nothing other than glow), it appeared more like an alien weapon than that from the divine.
Strong audio. The visuals were effective... dreamlike in 1492, as I suppose it should be. But most disappointing was the 3D... underwhelming, to say the least. Noticeably weak 3D throughout: 2/5.
"The next time you got nothin' to do, and lots of time to do it, come up and see me." Mae West
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico
Rango: "Is this heaven?" Spirit of the West: "If it were, we'd be eatin' pop tarts with Kim Novak."
”Conscience. That stuff... that stuff will drive you nuts.” Terry, On the Waterfront
"Anybody not wearing two million sunscreen is gonna have a really bad day." Sarah Connor
"Hey kid, it ain't that kind of movie." Harrison Ford
Old 04-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #102
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2012
Missouri

Didnt have an issue with the 3D aside from it being a little too dark at time. But hated the story. I can see people not knowing anything about the games being very confused.
Who knows at one point the movie was almost 25 minutes longer, maybe that version is good, though we will never see it.
Epson 5030UB on VAPEX9120
Sony BDP-S580/Sony PS3 and PS4 Pro
DirecTV HR24-500
Onkyo TX-NR646
Front: Yamaha NS-C444 and NS-777
Surrounds: Side - Sony SS-F5000 / Rear - Polk T15
Subwoofer: BIC Acoustech PL-200
Logitech Harmony Elite
Old 04-21-2017, 03:11 AM   #103
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2011
USA

For those wondering what the 3D looks like in Assassin's Creed 3D, here's a 3D trailer, though in another language.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #104
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

I rented this in 2D via Netflix and couldnt even finish it. It was so rushed and messy. No attachment to characters at all. Very "video-game-ish" which is probably how its supposed to be. I felt like the opening was so abrupt and all of a sudden Mike Fassbender was hooked up to a virtual reality machine jumping around and fighting guys I couldnt care less about. Video Game movies continue to be simply terrible. Warcraft was borderline acceptable, maybe, but even that wasnt worth buying.

So, not even going to bother with the 3D on this one. Awful film, IMO.
LG OLED 65E6P
Samsung PN64H5000 plasma
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD570, PS3
Sony STR DH550
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 560 & Harmony 700
Thanks given by:
xplorar (05-17-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #105
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
I rented this in 2D via Netflix and couldnt even finish it. It was so rushed and messy. No attachment to characters at all. Very "video-game-ish" which is probably how its supposed to be. I felt like the opening was so abrupt and all of a sudden Mike Fassbender was hooked up to a virtual reality machine jumping around and fighting guys I couldnt care less about. Video Game movies continue to be simply terrible. Warcraft was borderline acceptable, maybe, but even that wasnt worth buying.

The problem is, that the people they keep getting for video game films are not fans, nor do they care about the source material. For Paul Anderson it is fairly clear Resident Evil was just a cash cow for him, for the director of Assassin's Creed, whilst I enjoyed the film it is a long shoot from comparing to his last film Macbeth (featuring the same leads as well), and that pattern keeps on going.

The only exception I can think of where the film maker clearly cared about the source material is the first Silent Hill film. He spent years convincing konami to be able to make the film and was going to return for the sequel (but it seems production issues and other problems lead to him dropping from the sequel). Still the film he did do was dripping with the feel and the atmosphere of Silent Hill and I would argue is a great film, not simply a good video game adaption.

Now i'm not saying no other film maker even tried, but I suspect the fact that it was clearly just another job for so many of those involved resulted in the sub par results we generally have gotten.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #106
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
The problem is, that the people they keep getting for video game films are not fans, nor do they care about the source material. For Paul Anderson it is fairly clear Resident Evil was just a cash cow for him, for the director of Assassin's Creed, whilst I enjoyed the film it is a long shoot from comparing to his last film Macbeth (featuring the same leads as well), and that pattern keeps on going.

The only exception I can think of where the film maker clearly cared about the source material is the first Silent Hill film. He spent years convincing konami to be able to make the film and was going to return for the sequel (but it seems production issues and other problems lead to him dropping from the sequel). Still the film he did do was dripping with the feel and the atmosphere of Silent Hill and I would argue is a great film, not simply a good video game adaption.

Now i'm not saying no other film maker even tried, but I suspect the fact that it was clearly just another job for so many of those involved resulted in the sub par results we generally have gotten.
Good points, and I agree tht Silent Hill as WAY better than expected. Wish that was out in 3D.

Its a tough "code to crack" as far as getting these video games movies are concerned. Most turn out bad. Its obviously hard to stay true to the games roots AND pull in new people that arent familiar with the game. I dunno.
LG OLED 65E6P
Samsung PN64H5000 plasma
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD570, PS3
Sony STR DH550
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 560 & Harmony 700
Old 04-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #107
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2011
USA

These days, video game cinematics and stories are often better than many modern movies, so there's no reason the producers couldn't just adapt exactly what was in the game to a live action recreation.

In Silent Hill the game on PS1, the sense of strong horror and dread in the game was not matched in the mild horror of the film version, as good as the first film was in terms of capturing a lot of Silent Hill's identity.

Quick example being the video game demon babies with the knives; they hunt down the player in the wire fencing, then giggle and begin stabbing the player's legs. Really disturbing and horrific in the game. In the movie, the CGI is really obvious, and the demon babies seemed unthreatening as she fell to the floor and then they turned to ash. It was kind of like a wasted opportunity, though it was nice they at least tried. Even though it's not scary, the first Silent Hill movie was a good try.

On topic, one thing AC the movie could've used was a sense of impending danger. Unfortunately, when the hero is stuck in a prison, sitting at the cafeteria table, and has random entries into the VR machine to try to find the original location of the Apple, it doesn't make for the most exciting movie as was shown here.

The action scenes were really nicely done even so, but I would have added a villain who was also hooked up to a machine, so whenever the hero entered, the villain would enter in pursuit, to try and eliminate the hero. There were hints of it, but nothing threatening happened to the hero till the end of the film. I haven't played the first game in awhile, but I can bet that would've been the best approach to telling the movie's story.
Thanks given by:
infiniteCR (05-16-2017), levcore (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #108
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2011
The Citadel

I watched this on Sunday and I thought it had fantastic 3D. I think throughout it was easily medium 3D with a few stronger shots. The whole movie looked great though. Obviously those who have seen it know it's a dark movie and then the animus scenes are all filled with lots of smoke but despite these things the 3D really shines from beginning to end.

With regard to the movie itself it was very good IMO. I enjoyed it throughout. The animus sequences are by far the highlight though and I wish more of the movie had taken place in the animus, as it was we got 3 sequences in there I think. I was really hoping to have a finale in the animus but that didn't play out. I think the biggest drawback is that the finale is a little weak and it probably needed a bigger set piece at the end, but that aside it's a really good action thriller sci fi. Fassbender was good but I think Marion Cottilard struggled a bit with her English accent. The visual FX were very good throughout, a few ropey shots but that's to be expected.

I liked that the movie took itself and its subject matter very seriously. I recall lots of complaints when this came out about the lack of humour but that seems like a very silly complaint to have. Not every movie needs to be full of jokes. If anyone was on the fence about this, I highly recommend giving it a chance. The 3D adds to much and the historical sequences in the animus are absolutely exhilarating. Best sequence in the movie is the midway escape scene with Fassbender and the female assassin as they escape execution. I was on the edge of my seat. Fantastic stuff.

I see a lot of complaints here about how dark the movie is in 3D. I don't own an OLED, just a standard LG 3D set and I had no trouble whatsoever with the darkness. I thought the movie looked great and IMO Doctor Strange is a much darker movie than this.
I am your redeemer, it is by my hand that you will rise from the ashes of this world!!!

PSN ID: levcore

Last edited by levcore; 05-16-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Thanks given by:
aetherhole (05-16-2017), EVERRET (05-16-2017), infiniteCR (05-16-2017), nycomet (05-16-2017), Paul H (05-16-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 03:11 AM   #109

Sep 2014
California
Lightbulb

Assassin’s Creed (3D Blu-ray) (2016)

3D Special Edition

http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_detai...roductID=16080

(3D Blu-ray+DVD Bonus)
1080 Full HD
Widescreen
Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 5.1, PCM 5.1
Advanced 96kHz Upsampling
Language : English, Spanish (Part)
Subtitles : Chinese, English

All 3D .......... All the Time.......

A Brilliant Gimmick : a successful and ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one that attracts attention and increases appeal. It can help create an experience that is so much more than the sum of the parts.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:57 AM   #110

Nov 2009

Quote:

I agree with this. I saw it in big screen on 3D and even then I found it to be quiet boring. I can imagine that watching it in 2D would be awful.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #111
Power Member

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

Quote:

I have to agree with you. I'm a huge fan of the video game series and I typically enjoy even bad video game interpretations (like Super Mario Bros. ) but this movie was severely lacking considering the potential story they could have adapted from the game. Usually 3D elevates a bad movie to re-watch status, but not if it's mostly boring.

There are several things that were just wrong, I can forgive the rushed opening though since the important thing is getting to the Animus parts.
[Show spoiler]But those parts just seemed like short vignettes instead of what should have been the main story with the modern day setting being the vignette parts. When the Animus parts were going, they were fairly good though, especially when they try to escape by running around the city, they nailed that aspect of the game at least

I think my biggest complaint would be the weak ending,
[Show spoiler]the Apple not really demonstrating the power that it has which should have lead to an action packed final confrontation. Marion Cotillard's character letting the assassins walk in without trying to warn anyone and then being angry when they kill her pappy, what did she think they were going to do?!

They honestly could have cut several things that I felt were unnecessary, like
[Show spoiler]the parts with the other assassins, it distracted from Fassbender's character who should have figured a way out himself instead of essentially going along with their plan. I understand why the assassin father was included, to give Fassbender some angst, but there were better ways to motivate his character to get back in the machine without as much screen time dedicated to it, which would have meant more Animus time

Another aspect that the games touch upon are
[Show spoiler]how these past assassin's interacted with historical figures and events. The film barely touches upon this other than the Spanish Inquisition that we're thrown in the middle of it without adequate build up of the main bad guys (who are also throwaway characters) and a quick scene with Christopher Columbus (also giving him the Apple and not hiding it in the New World is ridiculous)
Home Theater Setup
Projector: BenQ HT1085ST 1080P 3D DLP
Screen: Elite Screens M100XWH-E24 Manual 100" 16:9 w/ 24" Drop
Receiver: Yamaha RX-v379 5.1 Channel
Sound: Yamaha NS-PZ40BL Speakers & NS-SW40BL Subwoofer
Player: Sony BDP-S5200 Region Free Modded
Accessories: Nexera 101915 Pinnacle Cabinet, Sewell BlastIR SW-29311 IR Extender, SainSonic SSZ-200DLB 3D Glasses
Thanks given by:
levcore (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #112
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2011
The Citadel

I totally agree about the animus stuff. This should've been mostly set in the animus with the modern day stuff only taking up a small portion.
I am your redeemer, it is by my hand that you will rise from the ashes of this world!!!

PSN ID: levcore
Old 05-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #113
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2011
USA

The whole focus on the high tech apple also could've been given a glimpse of its power right in the beginning of the film, showing a flashback of how it would control mankind. If they did that, it would give the movie more tension and consequence, so if Fassbender doesn't recover the apple before the Templars, the whole world would suffer including Fassbender, who would become subservient to his enemies. By not showing what it was all about and only mentioning it with words, the impact seems questionable, and the story loses impact. At least that's one point of view of how to improve the story without any major changes.

I generally enjoyed the movie but mostly for the time setting and the action scenes. The 3D helps too. Having played the games, it captured the look and style of the games and the action very well.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies