Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Revolutionary Girl Utena: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$128.59
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$52.42
Silicon Valley: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grimm: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$25.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$56.44
Person of Interest: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$61.61
Hyouka: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$37.19
Hunter  Hunter: Set 3 (Blu-ray)
$35.49
Bates Motel: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$127.99
To Heart 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.29
Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #41
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

It's a very poor trailer if you are trying to hook Cloak and Dagger's comic book readers from thirty years ago. But you have to remember Freeform's target demo, which is something closer to females aged 12-24.

Expect far more teen drama than anything involving superpowers. I would wager Cloak and Dagger won't be living on the streets like they've done in the comics.
If your world has no heroes, become one.
Thanks given by:
Batmon77 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Thanks, jayman. At first, I thought it was just me. The trailer, if it's indicative of the TV series, isn't all that impressive. Least Iron Fist looks half-way decent enough to watch, without spending too much time thinking about what you're watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman3 View Post
Jesus. That trailer was awful; and I thought Iron Fist was bad...
Old 04-21-2017, 01:45 AM   #43

Sep 2014

I liked the trailer

I was expecting this to be similar to a teen movie like Divergent or something, and I basically got that.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #44
Special Member

Jan 2013

I like the Roxxon nod. Maybe a mention of Agent Carter with Roxxon and the dark dimension being involved? I'm guessing probably not but that would be cool.

This seems exactly like what I'd expect from Freeform - teen angst and tortured romance. I don't know how long I'll be able to tolerate that. But I'll still give this a shot when it premieres.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Alabama
Send a message via AIM to kevin87

I didn't think it was THAT bad... doesn't look too good either but it's not any worse than what I was expecting. This is Freeform, you're either going to get 20-something comedy or an angsty teen drama. Beyond was the exception (and only barely). I expected the backstory to be altered too so that didn't surprise me. My only real complaint is that it doesn't FEEL like Marvel somehow.
I have a full Star Wars: The Force Awakens unused code, willing to trade for these movies... or maybe even just any movie I don't have.

Looking for Killjoys: Season One and Outlander S1V1 and V2 slipcovers.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #46
Power Member

Nov 2007

I'll be passing on this, looks boring as hell
Old 04-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

My thoughts exactly. I expected something a little more faithful to what the comics represent. We expect changes, the trailer was just a failure to entice viewers to tune into the series.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2016

They probably only filmed the pilot so far. Y'all are being ridiculous. I think it looks fine.
Thanks given by:
doctorD (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
The Road to Nowhere.

At first glance I thought it was the movie from 1984 with Henry Thomas. Then clicked on the thread and had a total flashback to when I used to read and collect the comics for this.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:11 PM   #50
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeApartYourHead View Post
They probably only filmed the pilot so far. Y'all are being ridiculous. I think it looks fine.
Completely agree.
Launch PS3 60GB, Launch PS3 Slim 120GB, PS4 Pro
Family Room: (TV) Samsung LNT5271; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite SC-35; (Speakers) Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 5.1 System
New HT Room: (Projector) JVC RS45; (Receiver) Denon X6200W; (Front Speakers) Monitor Audio RX6; (Center) RX Centre; (Side Surround Speakers) Monitor Audio RXFX; (Back Speakers) PSB Image B4 Compact Bookshelf; (Subwoofer) SVS PB12-Plus
GO PURPLE...BE GOLD!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #51
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Dunlap, TN

Before you jump ship before a episode is even aired take a look at who is running this show behind the camera. Recognize any names and the shows they are also working on?

Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger is co-produced by Marvel Television and ABC Signature Studios.
Joe Pokaski (Marvel's Daredevil, Underground, Heroes) serves as showrunner and executive producer.

Marvel’s head of Television - Jeph Loeb (Legion, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, Marvel’s The Punisher, Marvel’s The Defenders),

Jim Chory (Legion, Marvel’s The Punisher, Marvel’s The Defenders) also serve as executive producers.
GO TITANS!!
GO VOLS!!
GO PREDS!!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #52

Apr 2009

The thing is...I've NEVER been drawn to these particular characters in the comics when they were adults. From what I remember, Dagger was generally portrayed in her mid 20's and Cloak was significantly older than her (late 30's / mid 40's)?

Seeing a high school love drama / superhero mash up, which is my impression of the tv show based on the trailer...well I am not the target audience.

If there's NOTHING else on, I might give it a try, but it would have to basically fall in my lap first.

Well, apparently I was wrong about the age (shows how little I paid attention to that title)

Tyrone "Ty" Johnson (Cloak) and Tandy Bowen (Dagger) met in New York City as runaways. Tyrone was a 17-year-old boy from Boston, Massachusetts with a debilitating stutter and ran away to New York City when his speech impediment prevented him from stopping his friend from being shot by police, who mistakenly believed he had just robbed a store. Tandy was a 16-year-old girl from a privileged upbringing (born in Shaker Heights, Ohio) who ran away because her multi-millionaire supermodel mother was too busy with her career and social life to spend time with her daughter. When they met, Tyrone considered stealing Tandy's purse, but before he could, a thief stole the purse and Tyrone retrieved it for her. Afterwards, they had dinner and became fast friends. When nave Tandy accepted an offer of shelter from some strange men, wary Tyrone went along to protect her. The two teens were soon forcibly delivered to criminal chemist Simon Marshall developing a new synthetic heroin for Silvermane and the Maggia, testing it on runaway teens with fatal results. Johnson and Bowen somehow survived injections of the drug, and they fled. During their escape, the drug turned them into superpowered beings[13] Tyrone found himself engulfed in darkness and seized by a strange hunger that eased in the presence of Tandy glowing with a brilliant light. Trying to hide his newly shadowy appearance in a makeshift cloak, Tyrone began absorbing Marshall's thugs into his darkness while Tandy struck them down with daggers of light. The two teens dubbed themselves "Cloak & Dagger" and declared war on drug crime in combating drug-dealers and helping runaway children.[volume & issue needed]

During Cloak and Dagger's travels around the world, Dagger was briefly reunited with her father who had become a type of guru in India. He had developed an ability to manipulate his personal "light" just as Tandy did, however, he used it as a form of control over others to increase his own power, to the point of seemingly killing Ty who had interfered with his plan. Cloak and Dagger opposed him and he flung himself into Cloak's portal.[14]

Later it was revealed that during this time, D'Spayre had manipulated these events from behind the scenes.[15]
Old 05-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #53
Expert Member

Sep 2012

Considering that teens really don't have anything in the MCU exclusively meant for them, I'm willing to let it slide. The adults have the Netflix stuff, everyone young and old have the movies and ABC shows, but there's nothing really meant for teens with teen characters. I probably won't watch it, Freeform (Aka ABC Family) hasn't made a show I've liked yet. But I'll let it slide so that the teens get something meant to be relatable for their age group. Plus, considering the MCU films have yet to use: characters, events, or even referenced the shows; this will probably won't be too necessary to watch.
My Reaction to every true story movie from now on:
"I'll assume it ends with Dwayne Johnson grilling the finger prints off severed hands."
-The Cinema Snob (April 30, 2013)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows