Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Logan Lucky (Blu-ray)
$11.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Spider-Man: Homecoming (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Samurai Champloo: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$15.99
My Hero Academia: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$21.99
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Black Lagoon: Complete Collection Season 1 and 2 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 3 (Blu-ray)
$15.00
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Which version of Star Wars Blu-ray will you be purchasing (or not)?
The Complete Star Wars Saga 1,335 72.48%
The Prequel Box Set 20 1.09%
The Original Trilogy Box Set 110 5.97%
Not Purchasing Star Wars Blu-ray 377 20.47%
Voters: 1842. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2017, 05:26 AM   #62881
Expert Member

Apr 2013

Oh, I'm making fun of those who use the term. I personally don't find it suitable for use when discussing something I don't like.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #62882
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Shouldn't be surprising, you move on to what you're doing on your next job, take care of family, etc.
I used to write fiction out the ying-yang, considering I was a writing club nerd and got a couple degrees closely related to English Lit. I never read my stories after the proof reading stage though. They're all in a box somewhere in the house, but I haven't touched them in a decade. I don't know if I agree with the "it's a job" thing, since creating art (even as a career) is a different kind of thing. However I do get why movie creators don't look at their past work much. It's... weird.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #62883
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amano View Post
You are right. He has got 4 billion dollars on his bank account now. And for every single dollar his “final vision of the day“ got worse.

I guess guess that's the benefit of massive amounts of money: For showing the world the middle finger somebody will always step up to glorify the turd.
Then why come onto a subject dedicated to it? This is the part that eludes me.

Why not inhabit the dedicated UOT worlds out there and save this spot for the ones that still appreciate the work he did?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #62884

Dec 2015

Because there is some faith left that Disney might release the 1977 cut for the 40th anniversary (of the 1977 cut).

Celebrating an anniversary of something that is shamefully hidden and pulled from the shelfs feels so wrong.

Last edited by Amano; 04-21-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #62885
Power Member

Apr 2016
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisForever View Post
It is 1080p. There is no other way to put it. If you are saying it is not much better than the quality of a well mastered DVD that is 720p, well that is a matter of opinion. The facts don't support it.
Are you saying there are DVDs that are 720p? Because all DVDs have 480 lines of resolution (with either progressive or interlaced content).

Edit: All NTSC DVDs, that is. PAL DVDs have 576 lines.

Last edited by bobbyh64; 04-21-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #62886
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Orlando, FL

Not all 1080p is created equal.
Please vote for the Top Directors of All Time http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=298706
Old 04-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #62887
Expert Member

Jul 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amano View Post
You are right. He has got 4 billion dollars on his bank account now. And for every single dollar his “final vision of the day“ got worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
I thought he donated that money to educational charity.
As I recall Lucas got half the money for the sale of Lucasfilm in cash and half in Disney shares. He has often donated money to charity regardless, but after selling Lucasfilm committed to spending much of the money he got on educational charity, which I believe will at least in part take the form of the museum of narrative art he has been trying to get built for years (after frustrating and silly opposition in Chicago that cost that city a free museum and all that would have brought with it, it is now being built in Los Angeles).

http://lucasmuseum.org

I think it sounds fantastic.
He's also committed to the Giving Pledge/.

You may now all return to the daily whinge-fest about how terrible Lucas is for having the temerity to mess with his own work/not re-release the UOT/making the prequels in a way some didn't like, meanwhile he is busy giving the world a free museum and aiming to improve education!

And hey, I would love a lovely restored pre-SE re-release of the OT as much as anyone, but know you, it's good to try and keep some perspective sometimes, IMHO.
"Remember: Your focus determines your reality" - Qui-Gon Jinn
Thanks given by:
Alan_Grant (04-22-2017), Riddell (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #62888
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco Azzurro View Post
... (after frustrating and silly opposition in Chicago that cost that city a free museum and all that would have brought with it, it is now being built in Los Angeles).
The opposition wasn't as silly as it might have seemed from afar. I was really excited when it was announced that we were getting it but I really started to sour on the whole thing when the location, lease terms and design were all made public.

I won't bore you with all the local ins and outs but Chicago has done a really fantastic job preserving public use space all along the lakefront and the proposed end result the city was trying to pitch just didn't seem worth it to me.

Which is a shame because the museum itself is bound to be freaking awesome.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Thanks given by:
Porco Azzurro (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #62889
Expert Member

Jul 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
The opposition wasn't as silly as it might have seemed from afar. I was really excited when it was announced that we were getting it but I really started to sour on the whole thing when the location, lease terms and design were all made public.

I won't bore you with all the local ins and outs but Chicago has done a really fantastic job preserving public use space all along the lakefront and the proposed end result the city was trying to pitch just didn't seem worth it to me.

Which is a shame because the museum itself is bound to be freaking awesome.
I may have only got one side of the story so I'll take your word for it. But yeah, wherever it is built I'm sure it'll be pretty cool. They should try to get Harrison Ford to open it, he could say 'you know I always said to George about all this stuff... it belongs in a museum!'...

It strikes me it would also be a good place to announce a restored OT release too!
"Remember: Your focus determines your reality" - Qui-Gon Jinn
Old 04-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #62890
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyh64 View Post
Are you saying there are DVDs that are 720p? Because all DVDs have 480 lines of resolution (with either progressive or interlaced content).

Edit: All NTSC DVDs, that is. PAL DVDs have 576 lines.
Lol. That was a typo/screwup.

I keep referring to or thinking of the middle ground thatwas chosen on the project spoke about and got DVD mixed in there. Thanks for the reminder.

On a side note, if you want to get technical, DVD as a medium can do any resolution that bluray can...but as a data DVD and not standard...just sayin'.

As for the comment that all 1080p is equal. Actually 1080p is 1080p.

Now quality of the pixel is whole other story.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #62891
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
UK

I'll take the 4x3 non-anamorphic unaltered DVDs over the Special Edition Blu-rays any day.
"An angel should never enter the kingdom of heaven without a gift."

"Another person to ignore and GLADLY. dallywhitty, dallyunwhitty, he's the expert on posting etiquette." - bootsy
Old 04-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #62892
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
I'll take the 4x3 non-anamorphic unaltered DVDs over the Special Edition Blu-rays any day.
Unaltered DVD's of Star Wars were never produced. Maybe you mean less altered.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #62893
Power Member

Apr 2016
Los Angeles

Quote:
Lol. That was a typo/screwup.

I keep referring to or thinking of the middle ground thatwas chosen on the project spoke about and got DVD mixed in there. Thanks for the reminder.

On a side note, if you want to get technical, DVD as a medium can do any resolution that bluray can...but as a data DVD and not standard...just sayin'.

As for the comment that all 1080p is equal. Actually 1080p is 1080p.

Now quality of the pixel is whole other story.
True, although I'm sure it would take quite a few DVDs to fit a 1080p movie with a decent bit rate.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #62894
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
True, although I'm sure it would take quite a few DVDs to fit a 1080p movie with a decent bit rate.
It is the obsessive compulsive duty to be right at all cost...even if it means challenging the practicality of normal.

Though I gotta admit, I have a selective disorder. It usually only comes after there is some kind of absolute rule thrust upon me, when most of the time I am merely being inquisitive in perhaps an unorthodox unorganized way.

I appreciate your delivery of corrections. It is helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #62895
Power Member

Apr 2016
Los Angeles

Quote:
It is the obsessive compulsive duty to be right at all cost...even if it means challenging the practicality of normal.

Though I gotta admit, I have a selective disorder. It usually only comes after there is some kind of absolute rule thrust upon me, when most of the time I am merely being inquisitive in perhaps an unorthodox unorganized way.

I appreciate your delivery of corrections. It is helpful.
Huh? I was just making a joke similar to how you said a 1080p movie could technically fit on a DVD as a data file. You are right, it could. And I was thinking it would be funny if someone actually wanted to do that with decent quality because it would take many DVDs. I wasn't trying to be "right at all costs."
Old 04-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #62896
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be "right at all costs."
No I was.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #62897
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
I thought he donated that money to educational charity.
He donated HALF to charity. The other half he took as Disney stock. So regardless of how much he hates those "white slavers" and the new films, he's making money off of them.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #62898
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
He donated HALF to charity. The other half he took as Disney stock. So regardless of how much he hates those "white slavers" and the new films, he's making money off of them.
I CANNOT BELIEVE IT! What is wrong with that guy wanting to profit off of what he created.

A little question, is it Disney stock in general? While his Star Wars profits are in there, if so it is a whole lot more than that. I for one think that one of the sure things in life is DISNEY!
Old 04-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #62899
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
I CANNOT BELIEVE IT! What is wrong with that guy wanting to profit off of what he created.

A little question, is it Disney stock in general? While his Star Wars profits are in there, if so it is a whole lot more than that. I for one think that one of the sure things in life is DISNEY!
Its general Disney stock. Afaik, there's no delineation between movies, tv, theme parks, etc. It's just Disney.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #62900
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
Its general Disney stock. Afaik, there's no delineation between movies, tv, theme parks, etc. It's just Disney.
I was thinking you could have meant Disney's stock in Star Wars. I guess I was thinking more percentage of profits that is all.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America