COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Americano (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Seasons 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$48.78
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Green Planet (Blu-ray)
$80.99
Nymphomaniac: Volume II (Blu-ray)
$13.92
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Hide and Seek (Blu-ray)
$7.41
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014, 11:53 PM   #1441
eiknarf eiknarf is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
eiknarf's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
341
15
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I'm talking about holding off on THESE movies, not movies in general, and I think you're seriously overestimating the market for them. And look at it from the other way: the new format will undoubtedly have a price premium, so what Fox would get from the "fanatics" today - these are the same "fanatics" who complain about having to spend more than $10 on a catalogue Blu-ray - wouldn't measure up to what they'd get from the people who don't actually mind spending a few quid on the latest home cinema goodies.

So what if Fox won't get the money right away if they held off? Would their entire business collapse if they don't get the profits from a couple of Blu-ray catalogue titles? I don't bloody well think so. Yes, studios like money but SEs of True Lies and Abyss have been held off this long, so what will another 18 months matter? Heck, in a couple of years they'll have Avatar 2 to release, by which time they'll be rolling in box office revenues so huge they'd make Scrooge McDuck's vault look like a ****ing piggy bank.
Oh I'm clearly exaggerating - but, let's not be ignorant, it's extremely unwise to NOT release a title on Blu-ray because one is waiting for 4K Blu-ray.

If people/companies always waited for the next best thing, we'd all have nothing and all be constantly waiting...

"I'm not buying a color TV because I'm waiting for widescreen TV.
I'm not buying a widescreen TV because I'm waiting for a Plasma.
I'm not buying a Plasma because I'm waiting for the new LED TVs.
I'm not buying a new LED TV because I'm waiting for a 3D TV.
I'm not buying a 3D TV because I'm waiting for the 4K TV's.
I'm not buying a 4K TV because I'm waiting for the curved 4K TV's..."
and so on.

When does it end?

But back to these titles; Take for example members in this forum. Let's say they released True Lies and The Abyss on Blu-ray next week. Just hypothetically, I bet 1000 members here alone would buy both titles on Blu-ray. Then let's say next year the studios re-release both titles on 4K-Blu-ray. I bet 500 of those same members would double dip and buy the 4K Blu's. Easily.
From a business standpoint, that's a no-brainer. Making money on the same thing (just like we did when we rebought U2 on cassette, than CD).
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #1442
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
945
1
Default

What's with that "always" shit? Again, you seem to think I'm advocating this as a general principle. I'M NOT. I'm just saying, in the case of these two flicks, with Cameron knee-deep in making seventeen Avatar films back to back, Fox may well have decided enough is enough and put them back to 2015, perhaps to coincide with some Cameron downtime when he can finally approve them.

If that is indeed the case, then why not hold off just a little bit longer and make it a double-pronged assault? Release the 4K BD and regular BD at the same time with a massive marketing push, and the money will come to them.

Your hypothetical is all well and good, but the fact is we're still no closer to Blu-ray releases of True Lies & Abyss in 2014, and the nearer we get to that 2015 4K launch then Fox might decide to put all their eggs in one basket. They'd make a heck of a couple of high-profile launch titles too, seeing as they've never been out on Blu-ray (never mind 4K). It'd make a change from Sony wheeling out The Fifth Element like they do whenever a new format comes out.

EDIT: And who better to get as a spokesman for the new format than the King of the World™? Even if it's just a little interview soundbite like Cameron did when Aliens came out on Blu-ray, it'd be enough to win over the people who worship the ground that he walks on.

Last edited by Geoff D; 09-08-2014 at 04:03 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #1443
Tech-UK Tech-UK is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Tech-UK's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
UK
81
346
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
Oh I'm clearly exaggerating - but, let's not be ignorant, it's extremely unwise to NOT release a title on Blu-ray because one is waiting for 4K Blu-ray.

If people/companies always waited for the next best thing, we'd all have nothing and all be constantly waiting...

"I'm not buying a color TV because I'm waiting for widescreen TV.
I'm not buying a widescreen TV because I'm waiting for a Plasma.
I'm not buying a Plasma because I'm waiting for the new LED TVs.
I'm not buying a new LED TV because I'm waiting for a 3D TV.
I'm not buying a 3D TV because I'm waiting for the 4K TV's.
I'm not buying a 4K TV because I'm waiting for the curved 4K TV's..."
and so on.

When does it end?

But back to these titles; Take for example members in this forum. Let's say they released True Lies and The Abyss on Blu-ray next week. Just hypothetically, I bet 1000 members here alone would buy both titles on Blu-ray. Then let's say next year the studios re-release both titles on 4K-Blu-ray. I bet 500 of those same members would double dip and buy the 4K Blu's. Easily.
From a business standpoint, that's a no-brainer. Making money on the same thing (just like we did when we rebought U2 on cassette, than CD).
It seems more feasible for them to release the Blu-ray at the same time or near a 4K Blu-ray release, because the 4K Blu-ray will be twice as much, if peeps don't want to splash out on that, they will buy the Blu-ray release. Fox are going to get your money either way, but it will have maximum impact once the time comes when 4K Blu-ray releases start to appear.

Even though Blu-ray sales have increased, the steam is running out, because almost all of the big films have seen a Blu-ray release by now.

The next best thing is just around the corner and studios love to cash in on the boom.

Why these films didn't get a release earlier on in the Blu-ray lifecycle is baffling.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #1444
eiknarf eiknarf is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
eiknarf's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
341
15
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
What's with that "always" shit? Again, you seem to think I'm advocating this as a general principle. I'M NOT. I'm just saying, in the case of these two flicks, with Cameron knee-deep in making seventeen Avatar films back to back, Fox may well have decided enough is enough and put them back to 2015, perhaps to coincide with some Cameron downtime when he can finally approve them.

If that is indeed the case, then why not hold off just a little bit longer and make it a double-pronged assault? Release the 4K BD and regular BD at the same time with a massive marketing push, and the money will come to them.

Your hypothetical is all well and good, but the fact is we're still no closer to Blu-ray releases of True Lies & Abyss in 2014, and the nearer we get to that 2015 4K launch then Fox might decide to put all their eggs in one basket. They'd make a heck of a couple of high-profile launch titles too, seeing as they've never been out on Blu-ray (never mind 4K). It'd make a change from Sony wheeling out The Fifth Element like they do whenever a new format comes out.
True. I agree with ya.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #1445
cine74 cine74 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cine74's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Brooklyn, NY
1159
863
4
Default

I would take a freaking anamorphic DVD reissue right now if they released one. Then a Blu-ray when that came out. Not sure about 4K as that feels like a super-niche thing and out of my price range. But, yeah, why not release a "placeholder" DVD until the real deal?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
GIZMOSPROCKET (09-10-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #1446
eiknarf eiknarf is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
eiknarf's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
341
15
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post
It seems more feasible for them to release the Blu-ray at the same time or near a 4K Blu-ray release, because the 4K Blu-ray will be twice as much, if peeps don't want to splash out on that, they will buy the Blu-ray release. Fox are going to get your money either way, but it will have maximum impact once the time comes when 4K Blu-ray releases start to appear.

Even though Blu-ray sales have increased, the steam is running out, because almost all of the big films have seen a Blu-ray release by now.

The next best thing is just around the corner and studios love to cash in on the boom.

Why these films didn't get a release earlier on in the Blu-ray lifecycle is baffling.
Good points - I'm with you guys.
I'm not even a fan of The Abyss. I'm a fan of True Lies. So I'm just typing as if I was speaking to someone at Fox.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #1447
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
945
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post

Why these films didn't get a release earlier on in the Blu-ray lifecycle is baffling.
Indeed. We've had Blu-ray for so long that its successor is waiting in the wings; hell, people might now actually hold off from buying certain high-profile works from certain directors on BD because they know that 4K BD is coming! Combine that with the sub-ten-dollar holdouts, and I can't see Abyss and True Lies making a lot of impact on Blu-ray right now. But a big combined 4K BD/BD hoopla would allow the regular Blu-rays to ride that wave of publicity and also might get more people interested in 4K as well, it's a win/win for Fox.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #1448
ck105 ck105 is offline
Member
 
Jun 2014
Default

I got the DVD for cheap for like $5.00 at Best Buy even though I'm well aware of the Blu-ray release. I'm surprised that my TV and Blu-ray player display the movie as if it were anamorphic widescreen even though the disc is not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #1449
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
945
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck105 View Post
I got the DVD for cheap for like $5.00 at Best Buy even though I'm well aware of the Blu-ray release. I'm surprised that my TV and Blu-ray player display the movie as if it were anamorphic widescreen even though the disc is not.
My Panasonic players did that, very handy feature.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #1450
BadAss BadAss is offline
Active Member
 
BadAss's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
England
Default

You would think with all James Camerons clout and money he'd be pushing to get these movies released on BD asap. Unless they're waiting to get the 3D treatment which I doubt due to the cost of conversion.

Titanic 3D version took 60 weeks and $18 million to produce, including the 4K restoration. I would think The Abyss would take similar time and cost to convert to 3D/4K.

Whats make you laugh though is the fact his two smaller documentaries Ghosts of the Abyss has and Deep Sea Challenge 3D will have Blu-ray releases.

Such a shame.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #1451
ck105 ck105 is offline
Member
 
Jun 2014
Default

Another 1989 movie, Ghostbusters II, comes out on Blu-ray today and that movie got a 4K treatment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #1452
ck105 ck105 is offline
Member
 
Jun 2014
Default

Here's something I found interesting that may show you how much 20th Century Fox thinks of "The Abyss".

Below is a link to the official movie trailer for "Avatar" when the trailer first came out in 2009.


If you watch this 3:29 trailer carefully, you'll see the customary "From (director's name)" that is featured in a lot of trailers for movies from certain directors.

Now for this particular trailer, you see "From James Cameron" (2:49) and then the following:

The Director of Terminator (2:52)
Aliens (2:56)
Terminator 2 (2:57)
True Lies (2:59)
Titanic (3:01)

and then that's it. But wait, where's "The Abyss"? Why wasn't it mentioned when the trailer went through Cameron's filmography? Of course you can also ask why "Piranha II" isn't mentioned, but even Cameron himself doesn't really count this as an official film of his.

But just having this trailer not mention "The Abyss" may show you how much 20th Century Fox really thinks of the film which isn't much. Yeah, the film wasn't exactly a box office success back in 1989, but the film's reputation has grown over time most notably due to the extended edition. We also know the story on how Cameron was under pressure to cut the film to get more screenings for it which some feel somewhat compromised the picture's artistic quality since important sequences like the tidal wave ending were cut.

Now I don't know if Cameron had anything to do with this trailer or if it was all created by the 20th Century Fox marketing department, but it just goes to show you how much the studio thinks of "The Abyss" and why our Blu-ray is being delayed if it's being released at all.

Last edited by ck105; 09-16-2014 at 09:04 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #1453
eiknarf eiknarf is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
eiknarf's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
341
15
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck105 View Post
Here's something I found interesting that may show you how much 20th Century Fox thinks of "The Abyss".

Below is a link to the official movie trailer for "Avatar" when the trailer first came out in 2009.

Avatar - Official Movie Trailer - YouTube

If you watch this 3:29 trailer carefully, you'll see the customary "From (director's name)" that is featured in a lot of trailers for movies from certain directors.

Now for this particular trailer, you see "From James Cameron" (2:49) and then the following:

The Director of Terminator (2:52)
Aliens (2:56)
Terminator 2 (2:57)
True Lies (2:59)
Titanic (3:01)

and then that's it. But wait, where's "The Abyss"? Why wasn't it mentioned when the trailer went through Cameron's filmography? Of course you can also ask why "Piranha II" isn't mentioned, but even Cameron himself doesn't really count this as an official film of his.

But just having this trailer not mention "The Abyss" may show you how much 20th Century Fox really thinks of the film which isn't much. Yeah, the film wasn't exactly a box office success back in 1989, but the film's reputation has grown over time most notably due to the extended edition. We also know the story on how Cameron was under pressure to cut the film to get more screenings for it which some feel somewhat compromised the picture's artistic quality since important sequences like the tidal wave ending were cut.

Now I don't know if Cameron had anything to do with this trailer or if it was all created by the 20th Century Fox marketing department, but it just goes to show you how much the studio thinks of "The Abyss" and why our Blu-ray is being delayed if it's being released at all.
But why no True Lies yet if that was mentioned?
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #1454
SammymeBlu SammymeBlu is offline
Special Member
 
SammymeBlu's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Des Moines, IA
1904
199
Default

Just wanted to "Bump" this thread,maybe JC is watching.....
MAGGIE

2015
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:01 AM.