Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Girl Hunters (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 09-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #1181
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDoubt View Post
Yeah, I knew that. I was kidding about the blowing up part

I'm really enjoying these speakers. I'm even considering another pair for surrounds. Or perhaps Arros for the front?
I've heard the Arro and Sttaf, get the Sttaf for sure! The bass on the Arro is impressive for about 5 minutes. Then you hear the Sttaf and go back to the Arro and you're like what happened to the bass.
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser
Old 09-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #1182

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I've heard the Arro and Sttaf, get the Sttaf for sure! The bass on the Arro is impressive for about 5 minutes. Then you hear the Sttaf and go back to the Arro and you're like what happened to the bass.
Agree completely.
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Valab/King
Old 09-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #1183
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Ave. and Bryston Blvd, Arcam Shire

Quote:
Yeah, I knew that. I was kidding about the blowing up part

I'm really enjoying these speakers. I'm even considering another pair for surrounds. Or perhaps Arros for the front?
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Agree completely.

Hi Peter do you have a matching center for the Dreamcatcher?

I do not recall I am sorry.

Here my take on using the Sttaf as fronts, Yes in 2 channel I would tend to go with the Sttaf over the Arro for the extra Humph in the bass, lets face it the Arro extend low for their size but they do not have a lot of air displacement due to the Driver size.

The one thing tho is the Sttafs are not perfectly matched in tone or in phase with the Dreamcatcher center so if you do not have center already and would like one I would suggest to get the Mite-TC as your center or else if you have the dreamcacther center then go for Arros.

They would still work well, I have use the Rainmaker center with Forests with great results but the most seamless transition woul be Arros paired with Dreamcather center if you already own one.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30
Oppo BDP-103D, Oppo BDP-83, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
Arcam AVR400 Receiver, Bryston 6B-SST Power Amp, Totem Forests Signature L/R, Totem Model One Sig. Center, Totem Mites Surrounds
TotemTress, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black, Dynaudio X-12, Acco Accoustic Panels

Old 09-30-2014, 11:00 PM   #1184
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Upstate SC

Good price on Agon for a mite center.

Nevermind. It's not there now.
TV Sammy 58B550 Speakers Totem Forest and M1S center
Receiver Anthem MRX 500 DAC Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100
Amps-Emotiva XPA-3 W4S STI-500Subs-SVS PC12 Plus(w/Auralex SubDude)&PB12 Plus(w/Great Gramma)
BD Player/CD-Oppo 93 Power Conditioner-Belkin Pure AV PF30 Remote-Harmony One
Mac mini as music server
BDI Avion Noir 8937 A/V stand,ATS acoustic panels
Totem Tress speaker cable
Old 10-01-2014, 04:00 AM   #1185
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Good price on Agon for a mite center.

Nevermind. It's not there now.
Good price on A-gon on Forest Sigs in Mahogany
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30
Arcam AVR400 Receiver, Bryston 6B-SST Power Amp, Totem Forests Signature L/R, Totem Model One Sig. Center, Totem Mites Surrounds

Old 10-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #1186

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Hi Peter do you have a matching center for the Dreamcatcher?

I do not recall I am sorry.

Here my take on using the Sttaf as fronts, Yes in 2 channel I would tend to go with the Sttaf over the Arro for the extra Humph in the bass, lets face it the Arro extend low for their size but they do not have a lot of air displacement due to the Driver size.

The one thing tho is the Sttafs are not perfectly matched in tone or in phase with the Dreamcatcher center so if you do not have center already and would like one I would suggest to get the Mite-TC as your center or else if you have the dreamcacther center then go for Arros.

They would still work well, I have use the Rainmaker center with Forests with great results but the most seamless transition woul be Arros paired with Dreamcather center if you already own one.

Sorry I'm late on this....I've got the Dreamcatcher center. I think Totem (or maybe a reseller) used to package the Arros with the Dreamcatchers and sub for a home theater system, didn't they? I've got a sub to cover the low end in those situations, but I have thought about the Sstafs. Aren't the Sstafs 8ohms?
Old 10-06-2014, 01:42 AM   #1187
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Sorry I'm late on this....I've got the Dreamcatcher center. I think Totem (or maybe a reseller) used to package the Arros with the Dreamcatchers and sub for a home theater system, didn't they? I've got a sub to cover the low end in those situations, but I have thought about the Sstafs. Aren't the Sstafs 8ohms?
That would not change anything even if you set the AVR at 4ohms, the Dreamcatcher center is also 8 ohms.

As I said I would not worry too much I don't think you will reach the clipping point with those speakers whether the AVR is set to 8 or 4ohms. You could leave the AVR at 4ohms and still run some Sttaf if you would like more humph. The arro does sound Fabulous with Jazz and female vocals are astonishing on them.

What is your room size? This could dictate the floorstander you should buy. The Sttaf will still work great with the dreamcatcher center but yes the family of speakers is the Arro-Dreamcatcher family but much like Dynaudio speakers for HT the Totems can be mixed but the Sttaf-Mite is better paired with M1S-Forest Family. Dreamcatchers-Arro are Better Paired with Rainmaker-Hawk Family, A pair of Rainmakers would not be a bad match actually.

As I said the only issue with Sttaf being mixed with Dreamcatcher is they will not be perfectly matched in phase. What about on Wall speaker like the Tribe I, those are matched in phase with Dreamcatcher, Arros, Raimaker and Hawks. It would still be very difficult to figure out that they are not matched in phase as I did use a Rainmaker center with Forest with great success and the transition across the front sound stagewas very seamless.

Let me know your room size and the type of music you listen the most and if you like any kind of music and listen to music at least 40% of the time with your system, I would go with Sttafs, If you watch more movies and have a room of less than 200 square feet and you love Jazz music and female vocals I would be tempted to go with some Arros unless you want to achieve higher SPL. If you think the DC are plenty loud then the Arro will be more than adequate for you.

Seriously don't worry about the speaker impedance in this case. Sttaf are worthy of audiophile quality and perform very very well all around and will truly move more air.

Do you have a dealer nearby where you could listen to your own music material on the speakers, I would try Sttaf Arro and Rainmaker to see what speaker you would go as your fronts, The Sttaf will give you the most SPL of those 3.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30

Last edited by BigAl87; 10-06-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:46 AM   #1188

Sep 2014

Quote:
That would not change anything even if you set the AVR at 4ohms, the Dreamcatcher center is also 8 ohms.

As I said I would not worry too much I don't think you will reach the clipping point with those speakers whether the AVR is set to 8 or 4ohms. You could leave the AVR at 4ohms and still run some Sttaf if you would like more humph. The arro does sound Fabulous with Jazz and female vocals are astonishing on them.

What is your room size? This could dictate the floorstander you should buy. The Sttaf will still work great with the dreamcatcher center but yes the family of speakers is the Arro-Dreamcatcher family but much like Dynaudio speakers for HT the Totems can be mixed but the Sttaf-Mite is better paired with M1S-Forest Family. Dreamcatchers-Arro are Better Paired with Rainmaker-Hawk Family, A pair of Rainmakers would not be a bad match actually.

As I said the only issue with Sttaf being mixed with Dreamcatcher is they will not be perfectly matched in phase. What about on Wall speaker like the Tribe I, those are matched in phase with Dreamcatcher, Arros, Raimaker and Hawks. It would still be very difficult to figure out that they are not matched in phase as I did use a Rainmaker center with Forest with great success and the transition across the front sound stagewas very seamless.

Let me know your room size and the type of music you listen the most and if you like any kind of music and listen to music at least 40% of the time with your system, I would go with Sttafs, If you watch more movies and have a room of less than 200 square feet and you love Jazz music and female vocals I would be tempted to go with some Arros unless you want to achieve higher SPL. If you think the DC are plenty loud then the Arro will be more than adequate for you.

Seriously don't worry about the speaker impedance in this case. Sttaf are worthy of audiophile quality and perform very very well all around and will truly move more air.

Do you have a dealer nearby where you could listen to your own music material on the speakers, I would try Sttaf Arro and Rainmaker to see what speaker you would go as your fronts, The Sttaf will give you the most SPL of those 3.
Thanks for the well thought out advice and your time. It's greatly appreciated. The room is L shaped, with a living room with stairs to an upper floor and a dining room in the bottom 'L', with it's own pair of speakers. I,m in the Chicago area and don't have a dealer nearby (west burbs) at least that I've been able to contact. I'm a singer/songwriter who listens to all kinds of music, but of course a lot of acoustic and 'Americana', whatever that is. The Arro's are the safer bet I supposebecause I already took a chance on the DC's and like their timber. I've got my eyes on another pair of matching mahogany DC's because I haven't seen that finish and the wife would appreciate it. I can always wait, though. No hurry.

Again, thank you, BigAl, you're the best...
Old 10-08-2014, 04:46 AM   #1189
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Thanks for the well thought out advice and your time. It's greatly appreciated. The room is L shaped, with a living room with stairs to an upper floor and a dining room in the bottom 'L', with it's own pair of speakers. I,m in the Chicago area and don't have a dealer nearby (west burbs) at least that I've been able to contact. I'm a singer/songwriter who listens to all kinds of music, but of course a lot of acoustic and 'Americana', whatever that is. The Arro's are the safer bet I supposebecause I already took a chance on the DC's and like their timber. I've got my eyes on another pair of matching mahogany DC's because I haven't seen that finish and the wife would appreciate it. I can always wait, though. No hurry.

Again, thank you, BigAl, you're the best...
You're welcome Peter, I am thankful to the Totem rep in the province of QC here, my dealer is in montreal where Totem is .

There has to be 4 dealers around Chicago not sure which would be closer to you but the Sttafs would be worth a listen but you seem all set on the DCs now

Promusica Inc.
713 W Wrightwood Ave
Chicago, IL, 60614
(773) 883-9500, fax: (773) 883-9046
http://www.promusicaaudio.com

Quintessence Audio
5701 W Dempster St
Morton Grove, IL, 60053
(847) 966-4434
http://www.quintessenceaudio.com

Electronic Lifestyle Associates
515 Sunnyside Ave.
Elmhurst, IL, 60126
(630) 782-1100, By Appointment Only
http://www.elahome.com

TechPoint 1
By Appointment Only
72 W. Van Buren St.
Oswego, IL, 60543
(630) 551-3500
http://www.TechPoint1.com
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30

Last edited by BigAl87; 10-08-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:15 AM   #1190

Sep 2014

My wife pretty much decided for me. The mahogany DC's are on their way.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:24 AM   #1191
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
My wife pretty much decided for me. The mahogany DC's are on their way.
This is really cool Peter the DCs are a truly enjoyable little speakers, they just call you back to listen to them over and over again, altho they are not perfect you always seem to be surprised on what comes out of these little fellas.

I bought a pair for my parents and they blow me away every time I listen to them.

I am sure she would have liked the Arro too as they have a super small footprint, their driver is not bigger than the one found on the DCs.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30

Old 10-17-2014, 04:47 AM   #1192

Sep 2014

That's what I kept telling her, but she was adamant, and since it was right before her birthday I gave in.
BTW, she loves the set now. I got her the bluray 5.1 of A Hard Days Night as one of her presents and we'll listen and watch this w/e. I'm really glad I stumbled upon this manufacturer (and this forum).
Thanks to Al and everyone!!
Old 10-17-2014, 05:33 AM   #1193
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
That's what I kept telling her, but she was adamant, and since it was right before her birthday I gave in.
BTW, she loves the set now. I got her the bluray 5.1 of A Hard Days Night as one of her presents and we'll listen and watch this w/e. I'm really glad I stumbled upon this manufacturer (and this forum).
You are very welcome Peter glad dhe enjoys them as much as you do
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30

Thanks given by:
PeterDoubt (10-20-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 06:00 AM   #1194
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
It's funny cause my wife likes to say how much she dislikes the Naim amp I have, but when we talked about trading up, the first thing she said was, well how long will we be without the naim?

The other thing we were out and someone was playing music and she said, why does that sound so nasally? It sounds like (poop). So of course I had to tease her and remind her it's cause she's so use to transparency.

Thing is it's awesome when they are into it as much as we are. And notice things we think only we notice.
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser
Old 10-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #1195
Contributor

Apr 2009

Any fellow interested in purchasing a pair of Totem Rainmaker here's great deal for a pairs in Mahogany brand new in the box. They have 2 pairs left in stock.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...-2-pairs-only/
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30

Last edited by BigAl87; 10-18-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Thanks given by:
Johnny Vinyl (10-18-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 03:28 AM   #1196
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Any fellow interested in purchasing a pair of Totem Rainmaker here's great deal for a pairs in Mahogany brand new in the box. They have 2 pairs left in stock.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...-2-pairs-only/
Sold already.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers