Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #1661
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post

I watched the Happinet Blu-ray last night, and am thrilled with my purchase. This is $15.62 well spent. This is, by far, the best-looking transfer of the film that I've ever seen, despite any cropping issues. The high definition presentation is truly stunning, considering what this movie has been through.

A few quick reference observations for those who do not want to scroll around this thread...
  • This Happinet Blu-ray looks identical to the 2008 Dimension DVD release, except, of course, that the Blu-ray transfer is high definition.
  • This Japanese disc is region free.
  • When the disc is inserted into a Blu-ray player, Japanese writing appears on the screen at first, and then the movie instantly starts with the Japanese subtitle option. You can use your remote to turn off the subtitles.
  • Most of the main menu options are in Japanese, but the menu is easily navigable, and laid out similarly to domestic screen menus. Everything is wonderfully user-friendly.

Unless there is an amazing original negative restoration someday that duplicates this movie exactly as seen in theaters in 1968, this Happinet Blu-ray will be the definitive edition of this film for my collection.
I also found that you can hit the disc menu on your remote right after you see the Japanese writing. This will take you to the main menu and you can shut off the Japanese subtitles before you start the movie.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #1662
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo68 View Post
I also found that you can hit the disc menu on your remote right after you see the Japanese writing. This will take you to the main menu and you can shut off the Japanese subtitles before you start the movie.
That's another good option. Last night, I simply let the movie start, turned off the subtitle option right away, and then clicked back to restart the movie although only a couple of seconds had passed.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #1663
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
That's another good option. Last night, I simply let the movie start, turned off the subtitle option right away, and then clicked back to restart the movie although only a couple of seconds had passed.
That works too!

Off topic. Thanks for the heads up on the 35mm screening of Seven Samurai! I am definitely going to make an effort to get to that screening on Tuesday night!

Sorry, now back to Night of the Living Dead!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #1664
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo68 View Post
That works too!

Off topic. Thanks for the heads up on the 35mm screening of Seven Samurai! I am definitely going to make an effort to get to that screening on Tuesday night!

Sorry, now back to Night of the Living Dead!
Excellent! That's really going to be something else.

After watching Night of the Living Dead last night on this Happinet Blu-ray, I watched the "One for the Fire" documentary this morning and went through the film again with the first commentary track. I'm saving the second commentary track for later, but I'll be returning to this disc quite frequently in the future.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 03-02-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #1665

Oct 2008

Quote:

I watched the Happinet Blu-ray last night, and am thrilled with my purchase. This is $15.62 well spent. This is, by far, the best-looking transfer of the film that I've ever seen, despite any cropping issues. The high definition presentation is truly stunning, considering what this movie has been through.

A few quick reference observations for those who do not want to scroll around this thread...
  • This Happinet Blu-ray looks identical to the 2008 Dimension DVD release, except, of course, that the Blu-ray transfer is high definition.
  • This Japanese disc is region free.
  • When the disc is inserted into a Blu-ray player, Japanese writing appears on the screen at first, and then the movie instantly starts with the Japanese subtitle option. You can use your remote to turn off the subtitles.
  • Most of the main menu options are in Japanese, but the menu is easily navigable, and laid out similarly to domestic screen menus. Everything is wonderfully user-friendly.

Unless there is an amazing original negative restoration someday that duplicates this movie exactly as seen in theaters in 1968, this Happinet Blu-ray will be the definitive edition of this film for my collection.
Thanks for the review. I ordered a copy from CD Japan based on this. I had slightly less bonus points on my account so I ended up paying $16.31 but from what you're saying, it sounds like it will be worth it.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #1666

Aug 2010

does the happinet have a slipcover?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #1667
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow panther View Post
does the happinet have a slipcover?
No, just the black case.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #1668

Aug 2010

anyone know where I can get a VIVA elite Black Case......and a 2 disc Green while im on the topic
Old 03-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #1669
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

Just thought I'd give everyone the heads-up that the NOTLD MediaBook (like a Digibook) from Germany is down to just 7 Euros at Amazon.de. With shipping it comes out to under $20. I think it's region B locked, I'm not sure, but it's a very nice looking digibook, and has some extras that the JP version doesn't have. Might be a good buy for you NOTLD completists out there

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Night-...Blu-ray/28109/

unboxing (in German)

Old 03-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #1670
Power Member

Jun 2012
Burlington, Vermont Steelbooks-78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Just thought I'd give everyone the heads-up that the NOTLD MediaBook (like a Digibook) from Germany is down to just 7 Euros at Amazon.de. With shipping it comes out to under $20. I think it's region B locked, I'm not sure, but it's a very nice looking digibook, and has some extras that the JP version doesn't have. Might be a good buy for you NOTLD completists out there

unboxing (in German)

Unpacking #03 - Mediabook: "Night of the Living Dead" - YouTube
Nice, that would be great to put my happinet version in. Too bad i don't read german.
Samsung Smart LED 3DTV 120hz Model - un40d6420
Panasonic 3D Bluray player Model - DMP-BDT320(Multiregion)
Magnavox Bluray player Model - NB530MGX
Xbox 360 4gb
Monster Hyper3D 1000 HDMI x 3
Monster Powercentre model - HT700
Samsung Active 3D glasses model - SSG-3050GB x 5

FOR TRADE:Pan's Labyrinth Canadian Steelbook sealed/PM me if interested.

Last edited by brian9229; 03-24-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #1671
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

Yeah, I wish it was in English, but I do love the look of the book, and there are some purdy pictures inside too .
Old 03-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #1672
Power Member

Jun 2012
Burlington, Vermont Steelbooks-78

Quote:
Yeah, I wish it was in English, but I do love the look of the book, and there are some purdy pictures inside too .
Yes there certainly is, it is awesome looking. i think i want it. The wifes gonna kill me.
Samsung Smart LED 3DTV 120hz Model - un40d6420
Panasonic 3D Bluray player Model - DMP-BDT320(Multiregion)
Magnavox Bluray player Model - NB530MGX
Xbox 360 4gb
Monster Hyper3D 1000 HDMI x 3
Monster Powercentre model - HT700
Samsung Active 3D glasses model - SSG-3050GB x 5

FOR TRADE:Pan's Labyrinth Canadian Steelbook sealed/PM me if interested.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #1673

Jan 2011

Quote:
It is region B locked. It has the inferior, but uncropped transfer (identical to the U.K. Network blu-ray). The digibook itself is worth the money alone.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #1674

May 2013
UK

Quote:

unboxing (in German)

Unpacking #03 - Mediabook: "Night of the Living Dead" - YouTube
Just placed my order.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:13 AM   #1675
Special Member

Aug 2010
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
It is region B locked. It has the inferior, but uncropped transfer (identical to the U.K. Network blu-ray). The digibook itself is worth the money alone.
Totally.
And at this price it's worth the buy if you're a completist and/or if you like the old framing better (like I do)
Old 03-25-2014, 02:53 AM   #1676
Special Member

Dec 2011
Cincinnati, OH

Really want to buy it, but I've got to save my money for my two out-of-town trips next month. At least I've got the Happinet Blu-Ray and the Millennium DVD to hold me over in case the German release goes back up in price before I get around to buying it.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:09 AM   #1677

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstxanothrxstory View Post
Really want to buy it, but I've got to save my money for my two out-of-town trips next month. At least I've got the Happinet Blu-Ray and the Millennium DVD to hold me over in case the German release goes back up in price before I get around to buying it.
Just keep in mind that it states that it is limited. It has been available for just over two years now though.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #1678

Jan 2012
UK

Quote:

Just ordered one (was £9)– I’d never heard of this un - said it was on back order - hoping it’s not out of print!

thanks for the heads up - signed one completist !
Old 03-25-2014, 11:09 PM   #1679

Oct 2013

Caved in and just ordered the happinet edition after everyone has praised the transfer,and at $16 amd some change its not a bad price
Old 03-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #1680
Power Member

Mar 2009

I'm sure someone's mentioned it but just in case they haven't, there's an Italian release from Raro in a few days http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00IDDF1UK
"There's nothing wrong with Britain that impaling the Prime Minister wouldn't cure"
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America