COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Predator Bundle (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$30.00
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 9 & 10 (Blu-ray)
$31.49
The Protector 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #1661
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Silverlake, Los Angeles, CA

Ok, well there you have it. I really did not remember that, but wanted to ask, because unlike some peoples infallible memory, I don't alway remember every detail of a viewing I had 5 or 6 or 15 years ago.
My Criterion Collection

Please help me acquire these Scream Factory slips (in Mint condition):Cockneys Vs. Zombies, Sleepaway Camp, Cat People, Vincent Price Collection Vol. 1 Slipbox
Old 04-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #1662

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsl76 View Post
I'm finally getting around to watching my Blu of this and I noticed something near the beginning that I need an opinion about.

In the pre-credit sequence, where Mr. Machen (John Houseman) is telling the ghost story, it moves from a wide shot to a close up. On the blu, it plays as a speed ramp instead of a straight , which I don't remember from previous viewings (though it has been a while). This seems like an error. Can anyone confirm that their copy also has this issue (I'm sure all of them must) and does anyone remember this being present in the DVD?
That moment has always been that way. I saw it on its original theatrical release a couple of times, and I was immediately impressed by that little moment as it was quite effective.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:28 AM   #1663
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnoone View Post
That moment has always been that way. I saw it on its original theatrical release a couple of times, and I was immediately impressed by that little moment as it was quite effective.
I love this sudden camera movement, because it happens exactly when he says "suddenly" haha.
"What, in life, does not deserve celebrating?" - Ozymandias
Old 04-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #1664
Special Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
Ok, well there you have it. I really did not remember that, but wanted to ask, because unlike some peoples infallible memory, I don't alway remember every detail of a viewing I had 5 or 6 or 15 years ago.
WHAT! You DON'T have an infallible memory? You are clearly on the wrong site!
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Nosferatu (1979), Blood and Black Lace, Dracula (1979), L'avventura, The Vanishing (1988), Eyes Without a Face, The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Without Warning, Don't Look Now (remaster), Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979)
Old 04-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #1665
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Silverlake, Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thomsen View Post
WHAT! You DON'T have an infallible memory? You are clearly on the wrong site!
Lol. I know, right? I understand if you saw a movie and something particularly stuck out to you that you MAY remember it some time later, but all the people who swear they remember color timings and deleted scenes only they seem to remember just kill me.
My Criterion Collection

Please help me acquire these Scream Factory slips (in Mint condition):Cockneys Vs. Zombies, Sleepaway Camp, Cat People, Vincent Price Collection Vol. 1 Slipbox
Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #1666

Apr 2011

Quote:
Lol. I know, right? I understand if you saw a movie and something particularly stuck out to you that you MAY remember it some time later, but all the people who swear they remember color timings and deleted scenes only they seem to remember just kill me.
There are people like that. Even in life there are those who have a memory for certain things that transpire, or are able to remember little things that pass by others. Like those who can measure without spoons or cups for baking. Taste buds so acute they can break down ingredients in food, or sense of smell that does the same. With film I believe it is those who have a unique eye or photographic memory for a shot, or engaged sense for color. Usually this is a trait in a good artist. For art or film, knowing or not, this is a talent not always possible to develop, but inherent. I've been fortunate to have met a few and they are remarkable, blessed. It's like the masters of music, not pop trash, but those masters who rise above us all. There used to be more in the film industry - before people started going to college and confused real talent with a degree. There are also whacks out there, fan-boys, who profess just too much and blinded by their own "passion" and lose a sense of reality - which makes it for difficult for those who really can. Remember, this is why Hitchcock knew exactly what and how much to film with little or no extra footage. He had it prefigured, and edited within his mind before even a single foot was shot - unlike Cameron who couldn't prefigure from the written word to film to save his life.
- Scott B.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #1667
Special Member

Oct 2009
Louisville, KY

I think the only really disappointing looking scene was this one:

Optimum blu:

Scream! blu:

In fact, a lot of those screen cap comparisons on DVD Beaver make it look like the Scream! disc is anemic... but it plays out a lot better when watching it on the HDTV. Same thing with the zombie reveal shown above. While I think I still like the vivid colors and deep blacks on the Studio Canal release (despite the upscaleness), the Scream! cap makes sense in context as the entire scene is shrouded in fog.

As far as the whole "You see that tree over there? Well I remember when it used to be an acorn!" bit? Well.. people do have things called memories, and while they may not be able to remember an entire film (and it's color timing, editing, etc), there will most definitely be things or moments that lock into our minds (I still vividly remember the opening to STAR WARS and seeing the Blockade Runner and Star Destroyer going overhead for the very first time). So when people start raising a questioning finger towards the teal shift (yes, there is a difference between blue lighting and digital teal recolor timing) of THIEF and THE TERMINATOR, it's probably because such things would have been bluntly noticeable when viewed in theaters back in 1980 and 1984.

Last edited by Monroville; 04-05-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #1668
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

I watched this originally on my 65" Panasonic VT60 and thought it looked at least decent.

However, last night I watched it on my JVC front projector at 108" wide 2:35 screen from about 9.5 to 10 feet back and the image kind of fell apart.

It was almost like watching a DVD. It was very soft almost having a very slight blurred effect. The grain was very heavy, of course, but that wasn't the biggest issue. It was just lack of detail and over softness.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 108" wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300 plasma
Oppo BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 04-11-2014, 01:20 AM   #1669
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

That's partly why I was moaning so much when I first got it. It's extremely soft and smudgy and lacking in detail, and the edge halos don't help either. I can only make so many excuses for anamorphic photography; I'm willing to defend its honour for a 50-year-old show like Great Escape, but I just can't do it for The Fog because there are external factors at play, chief of them being the use of a very tired positive element which is faded, scratched and dirty.

Carpenter's prior films like Halloween and Precinct 13 look stunning on Blu-ray because they've been mastered from the negative up. This was not the case for The Fog. Shout! did the best they could with piss-poor materials, but the definitive home video presentation is still out there, waiting for someone to pick up the tab...
Old 04-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #1670
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->85 SteelBooks™/MetalPaks--------->118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
That's partly why I was moaning so much when I first got it. It's extremely soft and smudgy and lacking in detail, and the edge halos don't help either. I can only make so many excuses for anamorphic photography; I'm willing to defend its honour for a 50-year-old show like Great Escape, but I just can't do it for The Fog because there are external factors at play, chief of them being the use of a very tired positive element which is faded, scratched and dirty.

Carpenter's prior films like Halloween and Precinct 13 look stunning on Blu-ray because they've been mastered from the negative up. This was not the case for The Fog. Shout! did the best they could with piss-poor materials, but the definitive home video presentation is still out there, waiting for someone to pick up the tab...
I agree, but it does look noticeable better than the U.K. Optimum disc so that's something.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 AM   #1671
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I agree, but it does look noticeable better than the U.K. Optimum disc so that's something.
Absotruthly. Even though it looks like a haggard old transfer dredged up from the vaults, it's STILL markedly better than the Optimum.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #1672

Feb 2013
Edmonton, AB

Mr. Machen: 11:55, almost midnight. Enough time for one more story. One more story before 12:00, just to keep us warm. In five minutes, it will be the 21st of April. One hundred years ago on the 21st of April, out in the waters around Spivey Point, a small clipper ship drew toward land. Suddenly, out of the night, the fog rolled in. For a moment, they could see nothing, not a foot in front of them. Then, they saw a light. By God, it was a fire burning on the shore, strong enough to penetrate the swirling mist. They steered a course toward the light. But it was a campfire, like this one. The ship crashed against the rocks, the hull sheared in two, mars snapped like a twig. The wreckage sank, with all the men aboard. At the bottom of the sea, lay the Elizabeth Dane, with her crew, their lungs filled with salt water, their eyes open, staring to the darkness. And above, as suddenly as it come, the fog lifted, receded back across the ocean and never came again. But it is told by the fishermen, and their fathers and grandfathers, that when the fog returns to Antonio Bay, the men at the bottom of the sea, out in the water by Spivey Point will rise up and search for the campfire that led them to their dark, icy death.

[bells ring distantly]

Mr. Machen: 12:00, the 21st of April.

I knew the date was coming up, but I haven't watched this in around 10 years. Rather than just watch the opening to find the date, I had an hour and half this morning so I finally cracked open my blu. I really enjoyed it and forgot how scary it was, I would say more so than Halloween. Well, not jump out of my seat scary, but creepy.

Just thought I would give everyone the heads up if you are looking for a reason to spin this disc, throw it on over the weekend, or tomorrow night at midnight!
Old 07-16-2014, 12:56 AM   #1673

Jan 2011
Ireland

Really late in getting around to ordering this; only after getting a region free player - likely a stupid question but does anyone know is this still shipping with a slip?
Old 07-16-2014, 01:16 AM   #1674

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by caode View Post
Really late in getting around to ordering this; only after getting a region free player - likely a stupid question but does anyone know is this still shipping with a slip?
Dont know about the slip but order it anyway!!! Great little horror flick!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:39 AM   #1675

Jan 2011
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan34 View Post
Dont know about the slip but order it anyway!!! Great little horror flick!
Oh don't worry I watch it at least a few times a year; one of my all time favourite horror films, to me it's the perfect 'late Saturday night' kind of film - I'm gonna order it anyway - not a fan of the release we got here a few years ago with it's lack of extras and horrible transfer. Thanks for the response!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:16 AM   #1676
Special Member

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

Quote:
Oh don't worry I watch it at least a few times a year; one of my all time favourite horror films, to me it's the perfect 'late Saturday night' kind of film - I'm gonna order it anyway - not a fan of the release we got here a few years ago with it's lack of extras and horrible transfer. Thanks for the response!
If you order it from somewhere other then Amazon you have a decent chance at getting a slip cover. There are plenty of folks who have secured slips from much older releases, and the common theme is usually that they ordered from someone other then amazon.
Wanted To Buy:
-Disney's Treasure Planet Slip Cover
-Disney's Tangled 3D Lenticular Slip Cover
-The Omen Collection Outer Box
Old 07-16-2014, 05:21 AM   #1677
Special Member

Aug 2010

I got ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 from Amazon on Monday, still had a slipcover.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #1678
Power Member

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Holy shitty re-issue covers Batman!
I had to stop and do a double take in store today, I thought it was the remake for a second, but it's the MGM dvd (are they really still making these while Scream out-does them on every front?). Ugly!

Why would they try and make the orignal look like the remake when the remake itself was poorly received by most? I mean modernizing something is one thing, but trying to do both that and emulating the look/vibe of the unsuccessful 2005 remake is another.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #1679

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
No problem. Come to think of it, i didnt order thru Amazon but i did pick it up at like Frys or somewhere like that 4 months after release and it had a slip. I think you have a good chance of getting one.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #1680

Jan 2011
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleHBK View Post
If you order it from somewhere other then Amazon you have a decent chance at getting a slip cover. There are plenty of folks who have secured slips from much older releases, and the common theme is usually that they ordered from someone other then amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan34 View Post
No problem. Come to think of it, i didnt order thru Amazon but i did pick it up at like Frys or somewhere like that 4 months after release and it had a slip. I think you have a good chance of getting one.
Ordered from dvdworldusa; see how it is when it gets here, could be a couple weeks.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America