Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Breakfast Club (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #581
Special Member

Mar 2012
Columbia, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter V View Post

Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - (You may add this one already for the list)

It was also nominated for an Oscar for best sound mix. I remember the part when Sauron first appeared. LFE!!! As soon the Blu-ray is out, I will watch that scene right away for a final confirm.
I hope they don't filter the bass as much like they did for the first movie's Blu-ray. The Extended Edition was a bit better though.
AVR: Yamaha HTR-3065 5.1 Receiver
Speakers: Pioneer BS-21 Bookshelves/C-21 Center 5.1 Setup
TV: LG PA5500 50" Plasma
Blu-ray: Playstation 3 Super-Slim 500 GB
Satellite: Dish VIP722
Headphones: Sennheiser HD598/Koss KSC75 modded
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 192 kHz/24-bit
Amp: Outlaw RR2150 Stereo
Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #582
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige85 View Post
It doesn't sound great, mate. Maybe back during the days of DVD it would have been reference, but it's not all that. Surprisingly very little surround activity for such a scene. My speakers is pretty good. Reference audio as far as blu rays are concerned for me are Ang Lee's Hulk and Bourne Ultimatum. Highly immersive sound design those films have. Alien Anthology has great sound all the way through, too.

A lot of people complained about Terminator not having a mono track, but I thought that the 5.1 DTS track was wonderful, personally. Even if it is remixed from the original version.
Are you sure about that? That's one of the earlier Warner titles where you have to manually change the audio to lossless.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #583
Power Member

Jan 2013
UK, south

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Are you sure about that? That's one of the earlier Warner titles where you have to manually change the audio to lossless.
I don't have lossless. I've got a decent system but no HD sockets. The most I can get is DTS mps 1.5 or if it's only a Dolby Track, Dolby 640kps. Stilly lossy but MUCH better quality than DVD tracks. Some DTS 1.5 tracks are even on par with lossless tracks apparently. Though that's going by comments other people have made.

Maybe the lossless track would be of benefit to this film, I don't know. I only notice compression problems with lossy Dolby Tracks on blu rays than with DTS 1.5 tracks, as they sound crisp and good to me. That said, The Dark Knight and Pan's Labyrinth are Dolby tracks and they sound good.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #584
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Quote:
I don't have lossless. I've got a decent system but no HD sockets. The most I can get is DTS mps 1.5 or if it's only a Dolby Track, Dolby 640kps. Stilly lossy but MUCH better quality than DVD tracks. Some DTS 1.5 tracks are even on par with lossless tracks apparently. Though that's going by comments other people have made.

Maybe the lossless track would be of benefit to this film, I don't know. I only notice compression problems with lossy Dolby Tracks on blu rays than with DTS 1.5 tracks, as they sound crisp and good to me. That said, The Dark Knight and Pan's Labyrinth are Dolby tracks and they sound good.
There's your issue then. The lobby scene is intense when you utilize the Dolby TrueHD option. Going lossless 7.1 surround in 2008 was the best thing I ever dead in regards to my home theater.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #585
Power Member

Jan 2010
Raleigh-Durham, NC

Quote:
There's your issue then. The lobby scene is intense when you utilize the Dolby TrueHD option. Going lossless 7.1 surround in 2008 was the best thing I ever dead in regards to my home theater.

I went 7.1 lossless last year. Now I just want to focus on upgrading one speaker at a time...and the sub.
Remember to Submit Your Picks to the Weekly Top 5 List. New Topic Every Week

TV: Panasonic 55" 3D HDTV P55UT50 Player: PS3 Slim 120GBAudio: Onkyo 7.1 HT-S5500(B)

My Blu-ray Collection
My Letterboxd
My Film Blog
Old 03-04-2014, 01:42 AM   #586
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabterry View Post
I went 7.1 lossless last year. Now I just want to focus on upgrading one speaker at a time...and the sub.
I'll do that when and if I am able to have my own home theater room.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:02 AM   #587
Power Member

Jan 2010
Raleigh-Durham, NC

Quote:
I'll do that when and if I am able to have my own home theater room.

That would require lottery money for me. I am fine with having the large system in the living room. That is where everyone watches the movies.

TV: Panasonic 55" 3D HDTV P55UT50 Player: PS3 Slim 120GBAudio: Onkyo 7.1 HT-S5500(B)

My Blu-ray Collection
My Letterboxd
My Film Blog
Old 03-04-2014, 02:15 AM   #588
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010

Quote:
That would require lottery money for me. I am fine with having the large system in the living room. That is where everyone watches the movies.
Oh, me too. That's just my ultimate dream. You know, the stuff that the guys in their 50s and 60s joke about in the galleries section because they have money.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #589
Power Member

Jan 2010
Raleigh-Durham, NC
Default List of Reference AQ by Movie & Scene

Quote:
Oh, me too. That's just my ultimate dream. You know, the stuff that the guys in their 50s and 60s joke about in the galleries section because they have money.

Yeah, I pretty much know that even if I have money, it won't be THAT money. Oh well, I don't know anyone personally who has a better setup so I am happy for now.

My Blu-ray Collection
My Letterboxd
My Film Blog
Old 03-04-2014, 02:21 AM   #590
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010

Quote:
Yeah, I pretty much know that even if I have money, it won't be THAT money. Oh well, I don't know anyone personally who has a better setup so I am happy for now.
Come to think of it I don't either.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:21 AM   #591
Power Member

Jan 2010
Raleigh-Durham, NC

Quote:
Come to think of it I don't either.

See? Life isn't so bad after all

My Blu-ray Collection
My Letterboxd
My Film Blog
Old 03-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #592
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Papua New Guinea

Quote:
Same in my community of foreigners in the Highlands of PNG. The closest someone has to my setup is a friend who ordered the same fronts and subwoofer but won't have any center or sides. Which means my house is preferred for movie nights. I always feel a little disappointed when going to see a movie at a friend's house with it usually meaning DVD and no surround sound.
Living Room HT (In Papua New Guinea) Toshiba 40-inch 1080p (40L2200U); Sony BDP-S590 player (BDP-S5100 region free shipped); Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 receiver; Sony SS-B1000 fronts (Polk Monitor 45B's shipped); Polk RM8 center (Polk Monitor 15C shipped); Pyle 3" mini cube surrounds (Polk T15's shipped); Harmony 650 remote

My Other Living Room HT (in storage in the States) Panasonic DMP-BDT220 player; Onkyo HT-S5600 (with a HT-R592 receiver, HTP-591 7.1 HT speaker system)
Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #593
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
California

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Although I've had a dedicated HT room, I actually prefer living room setups. They're just more like home to me, where everyone goes and hangs out. When I had the HT room, half the time the wife and kids were like, "nah, let's just watch out here in the living room where we always hang out", which didn't have all my "good" gear. Even now in my current place, I have a loft where I can put a dedicated HT, but I never bothered because the living room just "works", and even if it isn't acoustically favorable vs. a closed room, I'm ok with it. And a few weeks ago, the wife says to me, "You spoiled me. I can't watch anything without the stereo system now." Who am I to disagree with that and move it all to a closed off room? That's not "home" theater to me.
Defeat of deduct must go over defense before detail does.

Last edited by red_5ive; 03-05-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #594
Power Member

Jan 2010
Raleigh-Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricepng View Post
Same in my community of foreigners in the Highlands of PNG. The closest someone has to my setup is a friend who ordered the same fronts and subwoofer but won't have any center or sides. Which means my house is preferred for movie nights. I always feel a little disappointed when going to see a movie at a friend's house with it usually meaning DVD and no surround sound.

Same here. I went to a kid's birthday party and everyone was like "hey, let's put in a movie." It was DVD and it looked terrible. I didn't say anything, of course, but it was hard to look at. Pretty sure it was a CRT TV. I thought I was watching a VHS.

My Blu-ray Collection
My Letterboxd
My Film Blog
Old 03-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #595
Power Member

Jan 2010
Raleigh-Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
Although I've had a dedicated HT room, I actually prefer living room setups. They're just more like home to me, where everyone goes and hangs out. When I had the HT room, half the time the wife and kids were like, "nah, let's just watch out here in the living room where we always hang out", which didn't have all my "good" gear. Even now in my current place, I have a loft where I can put a dedicated HT, but I never bothered because the living room just "works", and even if it isn't acoustically favorable vs. a closed room, I'm ok with it. And a few weeks ago, the wife says to me, "You spoiled me. I can't watch anything without the stereo system now." Who am I to disagree with that and move it all to a closed off room? That's not "home" theater to me.

I know this would happen to me. No way my wife would go sit in a home theater room every night. She wants to get on the sectional, configure her pillows and wrap up. My spot is always where the speakers were aimed so I always have the best spot. No one else cares where that is.

My Blu-ray Collection
My Letterboxd
My Film Blog
Old 03-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #596
Power Member

Jan 2010
Raleigh-Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricepng View Post

Reading this makes me wish I had a movie night at my house. My 6 year old and 2 year old can now sleep through the system.

My Blu-ray Collection
My Letterboxd
My Film Blog
Old 03-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #597
Special Member

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Lone Survivor - All Battle Scenes & Helicopter/Planes Scenes

Epic soundtrack. Movie was also nominated for an Oscar for best Sound Editing.

Last edited by Pieter V; 03-15-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #598
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

Quote:
It doesn't sound great, mate. Maybe back during the days of DVD it would have been reference, but it's not all that. Surprisingly very little surround activity for such a scene. My speakers is pretty good. Reference audio as far as blu rays are concerned for me are Ang Lee's Hulk and Bourne Ultimatum. Highly immersive sound design those films have. Alien Anthology has great sound all the way through, too.

A lot of people complained about Terminator not having a mono track, but I thought that the 5.1 DTS track was wonderful, personally. Even if it is remixed from the original version.
The Lobby scene was a reference scene years ago, but it has not aged well when I have revisited it recently. LFE extension is clearly lacking on a good system compared to the reference or even higher up titles. That scene is centered around 45hz and basically has nothing worth mentioning below 30hz.

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...ge-20#entry545

Surround work is still good IMO in that scene, but again is easily bested by truly reference caliber scenes from better tracks that have hit since. Hell, just listen to Matrix Reloaded for improvements in both areas and then Revolutions again improves things even further (LFE at least).

The Matrix Lobby scene is definitely not a reference scene in any way at this point when you consider the competition and is definitely showing it's age unfortunately.

I thought Gravity had an excellent audio track that was overall a reference caliber experience which was the last film I watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post

I understand your feelings. I don't always want to sit in my black pit, closed off sealed and dark HT room, but it does give the most focused and intense experience for film/music. There are times when I decide to watch up in the living room setup though when I am not in the mood for the focused intensity down there. Point of all this being that it is good to do and have both if you can IMO since both serve a purpose the other cant.

Last edited by Todd Smith; 03-15-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #599
Power Member

Jan 2013
UK, south

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Smith View Post
The Lobby scene was a reference scene years ago, but it has not aged well when I have revisited it recently. LFE extension is clearly lacking on a good system compared to the reference or even higher up titles. That scene is centered around 45hz and basically has nothing worth mentioning below 30hz.

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...ge-20#entry545

Surround work is still good IMO in that scene, but again is easily bested by truly reference caliber scenes from better tracks that have hit since. Hell, just listen to Matrix Reloaded for improvements in both areas and then Revolutions again improves things even further (LFE at least).

The Matrix Lobby scene is definitely not a reference scene in any way at this point when you consider the competition and is definitely showing it's age unfortunately.

I thought Gravity had an excellent audio track that was overall a reference caliber experience which was the last film I watched.

t.

It might just be the fact that I can't get lossless for Dolby True HD tracks. At least with DTS HD tracks I get a high bit rate file so I feel a big difference even with the lossy DTS tracks at 1.5mpbs.

Maybe it's a combination of The Matrix's age and my sound system's age, I dunno. I do know that a lot of my blu rays sound great. I'll upgrade my sister in a couple of months and do a proper comparison test on that scene in HD and and lossy.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #600
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

Quote:
It might just be the fact that I can't get lossless for Dolby True HD tracks. At least with DTS HD tracks I get a high bit rate file so I feel a big difference even with the lossy DTS tracks at 1.5mpbs.

Maybe it's a combination of The Matrix's age and my sound system's age, I dunno. I do know that a lot of my blu rays sound great. I'll upgrade my sister in a couple of months and do a proper comparison test on that scene in HD and and lossy.

The mix is the same which is the biggest factor, so there will be no difference there. Lossless will give you better fidelity, but with the mix being the same, there wont be any night/day difference in real world listening by any means. The track/scene is showing it's age which is the biggest thing you are noticing I am sure.

Last edited by Todd Smith; 03-15-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America