Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
Planet of the Apes: Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
12 hrs ago
Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$16.99
1 hr ago
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 10-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #181

Nov 2010

A couple questions for anyone who owns this. I have a Samsung LED smart TV. Will the 4K upscaling do anything for my picture quality? Also, does this blu-ray player have the HBOGO app?
Old 10-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #182
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

4K QUAD HD upscaling will not work at all for 1080P displays including the 1080P Samsung LED smart TV’s. If you own a 4K QUAD HD Samsung LED smart TV then the 4K upscaling feature will work but the upscaling quality might be lower quality compared to the 4K scaling in the Samsung 4K displays. The Sony BDP-S790 will upscale to 1080P for those that do not own a 4K QUAD HD display yet.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 10-27-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #183
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Birmingham, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_UK View Post
Yep, I bought a S570 about 2 or 3 years ago and it was the exact same story. In the end I took it back because I could not stand the noise. I have borrowed some insulation padding from work and have placed it above and below the player, it's helped a bit, but its still noisier than older units. I put it down to Sony just cutting costs and sourcing cheaper parts. It's a shame because I think they are often superb players but the build quality now is bordering on budget territory.
Since posting this, I have taken the player back to multiregionmagic in Peterborough and they tested it. It was determined that the disc drive was indeed faulty and a new one was installed there and then. Top service from them really. The new drive is now much much quieter and I am much happier with the player now. Its still not as quiet as previous players (and previous Sony's) but its not like having a propeller engine in the room now.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #184
Banned

May 2008
Bay Area ,CA

anyone else have issues playing the descent on their s790 ? i tried on my pioneer and ps3 and it works
Old 06-17-2014, 01:48 AM   #185

Jan 2014

Just got one of these on Saturday to replace a Samjunk BD-F7500 that was defective and Samshit sent it back to me after I'd sent it in for repair and said they couldn't find any problems. I washed my hands of it and got BDP-S790 and I've been very pleased with it. It has a lot more video settings I can tweek and play with. It joins 3 other Sony bluray players in my stable.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #186

Dec 2010

Can the 790 be configured in such a way that it doesn't output audio over HDMI?
Old 06-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #187

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Can the 790 be configured in such a way that it doesn't output audio over HDMI?
Found the solution myself: The AV Seperation Output Mode setting can split video and audio between the two HDMI outs.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #188
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Gizmonic Institute, Northeast PA

Just ordered the last one on Amazon. I'm looking forward to seeing if there is an upgrade in video quality running this directly to the projector over the PS3. I want to try the 3d conversion out. I've read that it is no big deal but it will be nice to see it for myself. I also like that Sony supports SACD. I sampled some tracks on HDtracks recently and was pretty impressed at the upgrade in quality.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #189
Banned

May 2008
Bay Area ,CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckT43 View Post
Just ordered the last one on Amazon. I'm looking forward to seeing if there is an upgrade in video quality running this directly to the projector over the PS3. I want to try the 3d conversion out. I've read that it is no big deal but it will be nice to see it for myself. I also like that Sony supports SACD. I sampled some tracks on HDtracks recently and was pretty impressed at the upgrade in quality.
awesome i know you will enjoy it
Old 07-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #190
Expert Member

Dec 2009

I've had this now for about two weeks and have been able to get a few viewings in. Does anyone else feel this is an upgrade over the PS3? Maybe its me but the image seems to have more punch all around. I tried the 3d conversion once and got nothing out of it. Ill try it out again though. I like the ability for adjustments in the image over the PS3. I have no doubt this does a better job on displaying dvds. I was pretty impressed on that end. Agree, disagree?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #191

Feb 2010

Quote:
I've had this now for about two weeks and have been able to get a few viewings in. Does anyone else feel this is an upgrade over the PS3? Maybe its me but the image seems to have more punch all around. I tried the 3d conversion once and got nothing out of it. Ill try it out again though. I like the ability for adjustments in the image over the PS3. I have no doubt this does a better job on displaying dvds. I was pretty impressed on that end. Agree, disagree?
how does this compare with new 6900
Old 07-29-2014, 01:38 AM   #192
Expert Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
how does this compare with new 6900
I haven't owned the 6900. I believe that one has only 1 hdmi out though. I needed to have 2 so I can have both 3d and hd audio.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #193
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
It has got lovely PQ, but watch out for those lock ups. If it starts doing that when playing DVDs (not Blu-rays, DVDs) then I'd take it straight back.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #194
Banned

May 2008
Bay Area ,CA

does anyone else own the descent? i have to fast foward the blu 1min into the movie for it to play cause it locks up . if someone else could try and play it so i know it isnt the player thanks
Old 07-31-2014, 05:34 PM   #195

Jul 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
It has got lovely PQ, but watch out for those lock ups. If it starts doing that when playing DVDs (not Blu-rays, DVDs) then I'd take it straight back.
Lovely PQ, indeed.

I've had my S790 since late 2012 and I've only had one lock up almost a year ago. Got it sorted straight away and it hasn't recurred.

My next machine will be:
http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1642

... soon!
Primary Monitor: Panasonic TX-P50GT50B Plasma Display
Secondary Monitor: Samsung UE-32F5000AK LED Display
Processor: Denon AVR-3313
Media: Sony BDP-S790 and multiregion Pioneer DV-610
Speakers: KEF iQ30 and iQ10 (rear)
Subwoofer: Rythmik F12SE
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders